Goobs log, Now with video!!!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Goobs log, Now with video!!!

Postby Goob » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 pm

[quote="Adena"][quote="Goob"]

wont be long till I get 225 lbs

friday will be the next day in the gym probably, plan on just sleeping and eating a lot till then. Weight has plummeted to 175.8 lbs (~79.9 kg) and I think I saw an ab trying to sneak out :oops:

I'm sure you'll get 225 soon!

Now, none of that ab nonsense. Get thee massive quantities of hummus!

Was only one ab, so not too bad yet. It's when there are 4 abs I really have to worry, means I'm getting close to 170 lbs. Tons of hummus has been nailed to get things going back the right direction though :mrgreen:

Did some squats on friday, several sets at 135 lbs and 185 lbs testing different foot placements and trying to get my arms more under the bar. Then up to 1x245 lbs and Fx265 lbs. I think 255 or 260 was the max for the day, but I wanted to get 265 again, so went for it :lol:
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby Goob » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Stopped at the gym before coming home and didn't have the right shorts for squats, so messed around with bench and stuff. My car has been dead all last week, so haven't been to the gym in forever. But, it's back to life now and was happy to finally lift something.

7/30/2012
Bench
10xbar
10x75 lbs
5x115 lbs
7x135 lbs
2x6x135 lbs

Seated Overhead Press
10xbar
10x65 lbs
2x5x75 lbs

Incline Press Machine each arm can move separately type thing
2x5x45 lbs plate each side
1x6x45 lbs plate each side

6x5 pull ups randomly throughout and some amount of band pull aparts and shoulder dislocations

also, ab has been dealt with, bodyweight back up to 180 lbs (81.8 kg)

Squats tomorrow!!!
Goob

Postby Goob » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:21 pm

7/31/2012

Crazy DOMs coming on in front delts just now. That's the only place I get them from benching, so not sure how bench is a chest exercise

Squat
10xbar
10x95 lbs
5x135 lbs
3x185 lbs paused at the bottom
2x2x205 lbs
2x225 lbs
1x235 lbs
Fx245 lbs

2x8x185 lbs :? terrible

changed a bunch of little things about my form, narrower stance, toes more straight, arms under the bar instead of back, head neutral. I'm always much weaker after a week off, so will see how form tweaks effect things after I get back into it. Already, thinking I'm going to widen stance a bit, but so far I like the toes not pointing out so much and if I can keep my head straight when it feels heavy I think I will like the new neck position as well. Was hoping someone would be there to get video, but was the only one in the gym till just before I left.

Need to gain a couple more pounds for buzz belt to fit right again. Am back up to the 3rd notch, but it's just a bit loose for my liking.
Goob

Postby Goob » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:07 pm

8/1/2012
legs and ass very sore going in today

Squat
10xbar
10x95 lbs
5x135 lbs
3x185 lbs
4x3x205 lbs - threw up in my mouth a little bit on that last one :|

205 lbs shouldn't be so heavy.

Front Squat
10xbar
2x5x115 lbs
Goob

Postby Adena » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:06 pm

[quote="Goob"]

I have to admit, I laughed a little bit at that. I felt like puking during squats a week or two ago.

You'll get back into the swing of things! Also, working on your form always makes it harder at first, but it'll get easier, I promise!
Adena

Postby Goob » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:25 pm

[quote="Adena"][quote="Goob"]

I have to admit, I laughed a little bit at that...

Meanie! :P

This new stance destroys my leg and ass muscles. I'm not able to use my hips as much (or at least not sure how to) with the narrower stance, so they are getting nailed now. Haven't been this sore in a very long time.

Walking was terrible yesterday, so not much done at the gym, front squat up to 2x5x135 lbs and some shoulder prehab stuff

Today was not much better, front squat up to 195 lbs and high rep (30 :oops: ) seated overhead press and some cable pushdowns.

Completely broke till monday, so eating won't be optimal. Calories should be good, but protein will be lower than I'd like.
Goob

Postby Adena » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:21 am

Haha! I just laugh because I've been there. Multiple times. I think it's the high temperatures and humidity.
Adena

Postby Goob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:01 pm

[quote="Adena"]Haha! I just laugh because I've been there. Multiple times. I think it's the high temperatures and humidity.

Yeah, the high temperatures and humidity sucks. It's got me lazy as well. I'm going to take a few days off the gym each week till temperature gets below 90 at least. Maybe only squat twice and do something else the other day. It's not been lower than 93 for a while and a few days up near 100. Just terrible weather for heavy squats. Difficult to eat tons as well because it's just too hot. I'm mostly living on builder bars and protein drinks now . Only managed to get down 8 packs of tofu this past week :lol:
Goob

Postby Adena » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:27 pm

[quote="Goob"][quote="Adena"]Haha! I just laugh because I've been there. Multiple times. I think it's the high temperatures and humidity.

Yeah, the high temperatures and humidity sucks. It's got me lazy as well. I'm going to take a few days off the gym each week till temperature gets below 90 at least. Maybe only squat twice and do something else the other day. It's not been lower than 93 for a while and a few days up near 100. Just terrible weather for heavy squats. Difficult to eat tons as well because it's just too hot. I'm mostly living on builder bars and protein drinks now . Only managed to get down 8 packs of tofu this past week :lol:

You must be wasting away. :wink: I squatted in 110 degrees. That's not even heat index, that's the actual temperature. That was the day I almost passed out and felt puky the rest of the day. Actually, there's been several days like that lately and they'are all starting to run together. I love it anyway, I must be crazy. :mrgreen:
Adena

Postby Goob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:26 pm

[quote="Adena"][quote="Goob"][quote="Adena"]Haha! I just laugh because I've been there. Multiple times. I think it's the high temperatures and humidity.

You must be wasting away. :wink: I squatted in 110 degrees. That's not even heat index, that's the actual temperature. That was the day I almost passed out and felt puky the rest of the day. Actually, there's been several days like that lately and they'are all starting to run together. I love it anyway, I must be crazy. :mrgreen:

Yeah, wasting away for sure, was 179 lbs this morning, definitely can't afford to be puking all the time.

Am waiting on some news about a new job, and if that goes through I'm probably going to change my plan since I won't be working outside as much, but I'm just not able to keep up with squatting every day after working in the heat, especially if I'm not eating enough.

8/7/2012
Bench
10xbar
10x75 lbs
5x95 lbs
4x10x115 lbs

I'm terrible at bench, so going to do tons of reps for a while and see what happens

Front Squat
10xbar
5x95 lbs
5x115 lbs
5x135 lbs
5x155 lbs
3x175 lbs
2x185 lbs
1x195 lbs
Fx200 lbs :x just couldn't get up from the bottom

Overhead Press
10xbar
5x65 lbs
5x85 lbs
5x95 lbs
2x105 lbs almost got 3, think I'd have got it if I'd brought my belt today, just a bit too squishy in the middle, so wobbled and it came back down
1x110 lbs PB :mrgreen:
12x75 lbs
Goob

Postby Adena » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Good luck with the new job! I'm in the same boat, kinda, too.
Adena

Postby Goob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:38 pm

[quote="Adena"]Good luck with the new job! I'm in the same boat, kinda, too.

A rubber dingy with duct tape holding it together? :lol:

It's not really a new job, it's the company I got laid off from 2 years ago, but starting at the bottom again :roll: . The guy who decides whether I get the job is the guy that trained me there almost 7 years ago when I first started as his assistant. Also, I was at his wedding and I've been to several parties at his house. The problem now is when the job will be available and how long it will last.

8/8/2012
Squat
10xbar
10x95 lbs
10x135 lbs
5x165 lbs
5x5x195 lbs

Deadlift
10x135 lbs
5x185 lbs
5x225 lbs
3x3x275 lbs

completely drained after that
Goob

Postby Adena » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:15 pm

[quote="Goob"][quote="Adena"]Good luck with the new job! I'm in the same boat, kinda, too.

A rubber dingy with duct tape holding it together? :lol:

It's not really a new job, it's the company I got laid off from 2 years ago, but starting at the bottom again :roll: . The guy who decides whether I get the job is the guy that trained me there almost 7 years ago when I first started as his assistant. Also, I was at his wedding and I've been to several parties at his house. The problem now is when the job will be available and how long it will last.

8/8/2012
Squat
10xbar
10x95 lbs
10x135 lbs
5x165 lbs
5x5x195 lbs

Deadlift
10x135 lbs
5x185 lbs
5x225 lbs
3x3x275 lbs

completely drained after that

Nice job! I still think I might catch up to you. :P

Well, I started my current job about four years ago at $10.00/hr and have since received two raises, bringing my current wages up to $10.37/hr. :? I have become the most productive employee and have been entrusted with ever more complicated tasks. I'm supposed to be grateful I've gotten a raise at all. Some people never do. :roll: Also, people have gone behind my back to make up stuff about me and told my bosses, which they have written me up for, and used as an excuse to not give me a raise this year. Also, they are currently squashing more employees into my work area, cutting all our desks in half to make more space, and renting out the newly emptied office spaces to other companies. This is a blatant attempt to make us all want to quit, because if they fire anyone, they will have to pay unemployment and they want to avoid that. So, I've been looking for a new job and hoping for part-time work so I can become an entrepreneur. I want to own my own business someday. The cutting the desks in half thing is the last straw. Ridiculous!
Adena

Postby Goob » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:41 pm

[quote="Adena"]
Nice job! I still think I might catch up to you. :P

Well, I started my current job about four years ago at $10.00/hr and have since received two raises, bringing my current wages up to $10.37/hr. :? I have become the most productive employee and have been entrusted with ever more complicated tasks. I'm supposed to be grateful I've gotten a raise at all. Some people never do. :roll: Also, people have gone behind my back to make up stuff about me and told my bosses, which they have written me up for, and used as an excuse to not give me a raise this year. Also, they are currently squashing more employees into my work area, cutting all our desks in half to make more space, and renting out the newly emptied office spaces to other companies. This is a blatant attempt to make us all want to quit, because if they fire anyone, they will have to pay unemployment and they want to avoid that. So, I've been looking for a new job and hoping for part-time work so I can become an entrepreneur. I want to own my own business someday. The cutting the desks in half thing is the last straw. Ridiculous!

You may well pass me up soon :lol:

I'm glad I never had a desk job, seems terrible. I like how they "entrust" you with more complicated tasks instead of just making you do more work for the same money like everyone else is doing :mrgreen:

This job can turn into something pretty good though if I can afford to move wherever the next sales territory opens up. The main sales jobs pay ~$40k a year, which is more than twice what everyone around here makes. The biggest downside is the average 50 hours per week and the "fixed salary for fluctuating workweeks" pay scheme which means sometimes you get paid less than $6/hr on overtime. It's funny how the workweeks only fluctuate over 40 hours, never under. Hard to complain when everyone you work with gets paid less than you though.

8/9/2012
Bench
10xbar
10x75 lbs
5x95 lbs
5x120 lbs
4x5x135 lbs
7x135 lbs

turns out I should have gone heavier, but was not expecting to get more than the 5 on the last set

Front squat
10xbar
10x95 lbs
5x135 lbs
5x5x155 lbs

last set was all out, barely made it.

afterwards was shoulder prehab and lots of stretching, plan tomorrow is million reps/sets overhead press, pull ups, and maybe not squatting, or just a little squatting :lol:
Goob

Postby Goob » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Was a fun day in the gym today :mrgreen:

8/13/2012
Squat
10xbar
5x95 lbs
5x135 lbs
3x185 lbs
3x205 lbs
3x225 lbs
1x235 lbs
1x245 lbs
1x250 lbs

Overhead press power clean first rep
10xbar
5x65 lbs
5x85 lbs
3x105 lbs
1x115 lbs PB
1x120 lbs PB again :D
2x1x135 lbs push press PB
2x135 lbs full clean only PB as well i think, maybe :lol:
10x85 lbs strict

3x3x85 lbs power clean

Pullups
3x5 hammer grip

I think clean technique is okay now, since it's way easier to get the weight up. Wanted to get video, but was the only one in the gym till I was already about to leave.

I start with the barbell closer to my toes and with a lot more knee bend than when I deadlift, then sort of pull the bar into myself as I jump my quads into it and shrug up, then I catch it. That's the best way I can explain what I'm doing. Does that sound like what I'm meant to do?
Goob

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs