[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Goobs log, Now with video!!!

Goobs log, Now with video!!!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Goobs log

Postby xJimx » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:53 am

Just posting to send some healing vibes for your shoulder. I know how depressing a persistent injury can be - at one point a couple of years back I couldn't exercise at all for 3 months & it drove me crazy, but now I'm much stronger/fitter than I ever was before.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby Goob » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:33 am

[quote="xJimx"]Just posting to send some healing vibes for your shoulder. I know how depressing a persistent injury can be - at one point a couple of years back I couldn't exercise at all for 3 months & it drove me crazy, but now I'm much stronger/fitter than I ever was before.

Thanks man.

Did some messing about at the gym yesterday and I can't do any squatting or pressing, but deadlift and pull ups do not seem to bother my shoulder at all, which seems very strange to me.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to be doing because most everything is painful on my shoulder, except deadlifting and pull ups for some reason and very light pressing, like 25-30 rep light, which I'm not at all interested in doing. That really doesn't make sense to me at all. But, I will probably be deadlifting more and trying to figure out something to do instead of squatting till my shoulder isn't jacked up anymore.

There are a bunch of different kinds of leg press machines, a hack squat machine and a V-squat machine at my gym, but I don't see any of those as a viable option. I just don't want to sit around getting even weaker while I wait for my shoulder to get sorted.

Maybe I will just go on the treadmill or stationary bike and talk about low carb diets with everyone over on that side of the gym :roll:

:edit:
Food

Haven't been trying very hard with food these past two days, but definitely not enough. Eating mostly oats, beans, rice, broccoli and peas, but waiting till almost noon before I eat anything, so not able to get the calories in before I go to bed. Will be busy this weekend so don't expect eating to go so well then either, but will try.
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Mate do what you can. A workout of deads, pull-ups and leg press sounds like a good way of keeping stuff ticking over till your shoulder's up and running again. Like my Man Jim says, come back stronger!

p.s. see a physio, it'll be worth it, I promise.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby xJimx » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:17 am

If you can't do barbell squats due to your shoulder you could always do belt squats. Belt squats are an awesome exercise if you want to avoid spinal loading (like me) or putting any pressure on your upper body (like JP after his pec surgery).

My current set up is similar to this guy (although I don't hang onto anything & I go much deeper):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxTLDOxooGQ[/youtube]
DYEL
xJimx

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:43 pm

There are modern versions of this set up out there too...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Goob » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:04 am

[quote="thestoatyone"]...p.s. see a physio, it'll be worth it, I promise.

I'm american, so not sure it really would be worth it. I've already checked and it will cost between $1200 and $3600 depending on how long it takes to heal and how many x-rays they want to take. There is no way I can afford that right now.

@xJimx

That belt squatting setup looks dangerous, I'd probably fall off of that thing. Will look into a way I could do that a bit safer at my gym tomorrow, but I think I will just stick to deadlifting and probably some kind of leg press or something.
Goob

Postby baldy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:22 pm

If deadlifting doesn't hurt your shoulder then I reckon just do that instead of squats.
Weird how pull ups dont hurt your should, have you tried doing dips?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby vegan hal » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:55 pm

[quote="baldy"]If deadlifting doesn't hurt your shoulder then I reckon just do that instead of squats.

nah. dips will be very painful on the shoulder. i had the same issue last year. (even still feel it now at times)

I too found deadlifting, pullups and bb rows to be fine for the most part. it was the pressing lifts like bench, pushups, dips and back squats (due to position) that were the problems.
vegan hal

Postby Goob » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:11 pm

[quote="baldy"]If deadlifting doesn't hurt your shoulder then I reckon just do that instead of squats.

I think it's weird that pull ups don't hurt also, especially because I am so weak that my bodyweight really is a lot for me to pull up. I guess it is more to do with the angle the pressure is applied than the pressure itself. Dips definitely hurt though, as well as standing press and bench press unless they are light.

Today I found a possibility of what happened with my shoulder, but am not sure how likely it really is. I found out that the bar I like to use for squatting is bent now and it seems it has been bent for more than a month which is about when my shoulder went to shit. Apparently, someone dumped a 600 pound bench attempt and it's been fucked since.

I'm not sure if that would really cause this problem, but it definitely can't be a good thing.

Anyway, gym today was pretty okay really.

Bodyweight 169.7 lbs (76.97 kg)

Warmup

Diesel crew shoulder rehab circuit 1
3 rounds

Deadlift
1xsome@bar
1x5@135lbs
1x3@185lbs
1x3@225lbs - wanted 5 but barely got 4th off the ground. Will try it again friday
1x10@135lbs - wasn't so bad, will go heavier next time

Press
1xsome@bar - just couldn't help myself

Lat pulldown
1x12@80 lbs
1x6@120lbs

Wide grip pull ups

some ab stuff then home

overall i guess it was okay, but still suck at pull ups and really wanted 5 reps on deadlift
Goob

Postby Goob » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Tuesday

3 rounds of the 2nd circuit of the shoulder rehab program

Today

5 minutes stationary bike
3 rounds of shoulder rehab circuit 3

Deadlift
1xsome@bar
1x5@135lbs
3x3@185lbs

Had to use the fat bar which is way harder to grip and wasn't sure how much weight to use. Think i probably should have done 200 lbs maybe now seeing how it went. Grip is done right now though :lol:

Pull down
1xsome@80 lbs
1x5@120 lbs

Pull ups
2,2,1,1,1 - grip was not working for me, could have got 1 or 2 more on the first set i think if hands were stronger

Leg press
1x10@50lbs
1x5@115lbs
3x10@145lbs

Probably not doing them again, knees sore afterwards and i don't like it.

It seemed like i did more than that, but i guess that was it.
Goob

Postby Frostfire » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:29 am

[quote="Goob"]It seemed like i did more than that, but i guess that was it.

Seems like a fair bit to me! And I know what you mean, I can hardly do a single chin after any kind of grip work! I bet your forearms will be sore tomorrow :)
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby Goob » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:54 pm

[quote="Frostfire"][quote="Goob"]It seemed like i did more than that, but i guess that was it.

Seems like a fair bit to me! And I know what you mean, I can hardly do a single chin after any kind of grip work! I bet your forearms will be sore tomorrow :)

Forearms don't get sore really for me unless I am doing more direct grip training like wrist curls and such. My grip has been pretty bad recently though. It's really just slow recovery causing the problems I think. Takes a lot longer for my grip to be back to 100%

Been messing with hook grip some and will be switching to that after my grip starts going with double overhand

Warmup
some minutes on stationary bike
shoulder rehab circuit 4 3x

Dead lift
1x5@135 lbs
1x3@185 lbs
1x5@225 lbs :mrgreen:
1x10@145 lbs

Pull ups
3,3,2,1,1 -

used hook grip on 225 and 145 dead lift and also on pull ups :lol: . Still no idea how much weight I should be using for 10 reps, but I'll figure it out eventually if I keep going up. Very happy to make 5@225 though.
Goob

Postby Frostfire » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Excellent deadlifting! And if by hook grip you mean:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYzNkYDdJT8[/youtube]

. . . then OUCH! Good for you for being able to do it. I'm kind-of a weakling when it comes to pain and have a hard time using that grip.
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby Goob » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:47 am

[quote="Frostfire"]Excellent deadlifting! And if by hook grip you mean:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYzNkYDdJT8[/youtube]

. . . then OUCH! Good for you for being able to do it. I'm kind-of a weakling when it comes to pain and have a hard time using that grip.

It is pretty uncomfortable, but it's way better than limiting deadlifting to what my weak hands can keep hold of with a normal grip. Also, I'm assuming i will get used to it eventually.
Goob

Postby vegan hal » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:36 pm

[quote="Goob"]Still no idea how much weight I should be using for 10 reps, but I'll figure it out eventually if I keep going up. Very happy to make 5@225 though.

everyone has different methods, but i've settled my routine for dead lifts as: 10xbar, 10x60%, 5x75%, 3x90%, 5x100%. I don't log my warm-up sets, just the top set.

as for "hook grip." I never could get the hang of it. just felt too painful. i stick with "hybrid grip". i think that's what its called.
vegan hal

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs