[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Goobs log, Now with video!!!

Goobs log, Now with video!!!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Goobs log, Now with video!!!

Postby Goob » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:07 am

I guess I will start my log with my current stats.

Height - 6'3" (190.5 cm)
Weight - 169 lbs (76.7 kg)

Squat - 170 lbs (77.1 kg)
Bench - 130 lbs (59 kg)
Deadlift - 225 lbs (102 kg)
OH Press - 85 lbs x 4 (38.6 kg)

I really need to get my squat and pressing numbers up :(

My main focus right now is to build up a reasonable strength base. I'm not really sure how to go about doing that, but I don't think the Starting Strength program I have been following is the best option for me.

Adding more weight every time only seems to make me fail more frequently rather than progress quickly. I will probably be sticking to it though, because I like squatting every time i go into the gym and I have made some progress with this method.

Todays workout: weights in pounds

Squat

2x5@bar
1x5@95
1x3@115
3x5@135

OH Press

2x5@bar
3x5@65

Dumbbell Rows

3x12@50 each arm - pretty heavy for me with a bit of cheat on the last few reps each set

Pullups

1 and 1/2 way up on the second :oops:

Pulldown

3x8@120

I would like to do power cleans, but I can't understand how to do them and I don't know anyone that I'd trust to teach me properly. Also, I'm not strong enough on rows to use weights that put the barbell at the proper height to keep my back straight so I have been doing dumbbell rows instead the past couple weeks and I like them better I think.
Last edited by Goob on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Re: Goobs log

Postby Rach » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:22 am

Hi Goobs, great to see a log. Regarding Power cleans, are there any gyms in your area that do olympic lifting that maybe you could pay per session at to learn how to do Power cleans?
Rach

Postby stateofflux » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:38 am

Straight in there with a training log, I like it, and respectable weights too :shock:
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Goob » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:30 am

[quote="Rach"]Hi Goobs, great to see a log. Regarding Power cleans, are there any gyms in your area that do olympic lifting that maybe you could pay per session at to learn how to do Power cleans?

The only place that even allows olympic lifting as far as I know is a crossfit place, and I don't think very highly of them.

[quote=".flux"]Straight in there with a training log, I like it, and respectable weights too :shock:

You are much too nice I think :D . I am actually embarrassed by those weights, but I don't really know which one I should be most embarrassed about right now :lol:.
Goob

Postby Goob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:16 am

I got my dreads cut off today, now all my strength is gone :cry: :cry: :cry:

Squat

2x5@bar
1x5@95
1x3@125
1x5@140
1x3@140-fail
1x2@140-fail
1x8@115

Squatting 3 times a week is definitely too much for me right now.

Bench

1x8@bar
1x5@95
2x3@125- fail
1x2@125- fail
1x8@95

Deadlift

1x5@135
1x3@185

back was tired so just stopped at that, form was a bit shit anyway

Dips - 6,4,3
Chin ups - 3,2,2

I tried doing an upper/lower split type thing last week and didn't like it at all, but I need to do something different than what I am doing now. I had been taking creatine and bcaa's till a month ago and my recovery has gone to shit without them. When I find a job I'm definitely getting back on those, but for now it's just too much to spend for something I don't need.

Maybe I will just squat on the non deadlift days, or maybe front squat on those days instead. I suck horribly at front squats so I think it will be a while before I can use enough weight to matter in terms of interfering with recovery. I guess I'll test it out through next week and see how that goes. I think front squats will help me to improve on back squats anyway. The few times I've done them my abs where quite sore afterwards.

Bench is just ridiculous though, I can get 3x5@120 but 5 more pounds and it all goes to hell.
Goob

Postby Frostfire » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:24 am

Sad about the dreads :cry: , but those weights are respectable! I have the same problem with bench. I'll be able to do 10 at like 105 lbs, but put 110 on there and I'm down to only a couple! Such is life :D
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby Goob » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:23 pm

[quote="Frostfire"]Sad about the dreads :cry: , but those weights are respectable! I have the same problem with bench. I'll be able to do 10 at like 105 lbs, but put 110 on there and I'm down to only a couple! Such is life :D

This whole hair cutting business is a conspiracy I think. Now I have to buy some goop to keep my hair from being all frizzly and stuff. Dreads are so much easier and I think they look more presentable than what I have going on now, but it seems everyone just skips over dreadlocked people when it comes to employment possibilities :roll: .

----------------------------------------------------

Anyway, todays workout went well. Did front squats which was fun. Had to use the fat bar because all the normal bars were being used for invisible board presses, but wasn't too bad, a little too uncomfortable to do high rep sets though for me. I'm told that bar is 47lbs but I still count it as 44lbs when I have to use it.

Front Squat
2x8@bar
5x5@95lbs

Press - switched to normal bar because one guy started up a curling machine circuit :D
2x8@bar
1x5@55lbs
3x5@70lbs - very heavy and wrists a bit fucked from front squats

Cable Rows
1x12@60lbs
2x8@80lbs

Dumbbell Rows
5x5@55lbs - tiny little cheat on the last couple reps on the left side

Pull ups
2,1,1 then a bunch of negatives

Ab exercise where you bring your legs to sitting position with arm support???

15lbs on feet - 3 , then drop dumbbell and 9 more - too heavy :oops:
5lbs " " - 7, then 4 without weight
5lbs " " - 6, then 2 without weight

Front squat is so hard to keep upright. I am not so sure it is a good exercise if I am concerned about recovery from back squats either, but I like them :mrgreen: . Will see how it works alternating between front and back squats the next couple weeks as far as recovery, but I am definitely keeping them in my routine.
Goob

Postby Goob » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:50 pm

6/20/2011
Bodyweight - 170.7 lbs (77.43 kg)

Squat
2x8@bar
1x5@95lbs
1x3@125lbs
1x2@140lbs - sharp pain in shoulder :(
3x5@140lbs - pain still there :cry:

Bench
2x8@bar
1x5@85llbs
1x3@100lbs
2x5+1x6@115lbs

Deadlift
1x5@135
1x5@185 - grip started to fail which never happened before, even on heavier weights

Dips
6,4 very painful so stopped

Hanging Leg Raise

it was raining out and was afraid to get wet :lol:

Tricep pushdown - also painful
4x8 up to 80lbs

Seems shoulders are wrecked, especially the right one and i probably should have just went home, but i'm stupid so stuck it out.

Not sure what caused the problem except maybe rows. Possibly a couple sets of cable rows isn't a good enough warmup? But, shoulders felt fine after and this weekend. I don't see how I could have hurt both my shoulders squatting though. Anyone ever done that?

Will see how this effect training through the week, hopefully not too much and maybe I will learn something from this.

Besides that, happy with how things went. I need to be eating more though, squat and deadlift felt weak.
Goob

Postby vegan hal » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:01 pm

be careful with those shoulders. i screwed my shoulder up pretty bad last yr. it took a LONG time to heal. and they still feel a bit wonky at times. I'm not 100% sure, but i'm pretty sure it initiated on a failed box squat. and yeah if they hurt, watch out with dips and bench press too.

there are some good tips on dips here.
and squats here.

i know many do front squats here, but i never could get the hang of them. overhead squats either. so i just stick w/ back squats myself.

here's a good vid for some shoulder rehab that many here have used.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec[/youtube]

good luck and keep at it.
vegan hal

Postby Goob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:55 am

[quote="vegan hal"]be careful with those shoulders. i screwed my shoulder up pretty bad last yr. it took a LONG time to heal. and they still feel a bit wonky at times. I'm not 100% sure, but i'm pretty sure it initiated on a failed box squat. and yeah if they hurt, watch out with dips and bench press too.

there are some good tips on dips here.
and squats here.

i know many do front squats here, but i never could get the hang of them. overhead squats either. so i just stick w/ back squats myself.

here's a good vid for some shoulder rehab that many here have used.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec[/youtube]

good luck and keep at it.

Thanks Hal

Right shoulder is just a little sore now, so hopefully it isn't anything serious. Will definitely try the stuff in that video and probably incorporate some of it permanently. I just wish I knew what I did wrong though, because there is obviously something that needs correcting and I'd like to work it out before I cause some major problems.
Goob

Postby chewybaws » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCp-YynBEvE[/youtube]
From the same guys. I used to get real pain in my left shoulder with squats/bench/dips and some other stuff. After a few days of using that shoulder warmup before my sessions, it was completely gone. Don't use anything more than 1.25kg each hand the first time you do it. If there's not an incline bench, sit at the edge of a bench and lean forward with a straight back.

I like doing it first thing before the rest of my warmup (so when I'm foam rolling or doing floor exercises for warmup my shoulders are good). There's no need to progress in weight really, I only use 1.5kg plates each hand. I tried moving it up once but found it done more harm than good.

On the safe side with dips, just go to parallel. It's not worth screwing your shoulders over by going deeper.

It's unlikely that you injured your shoulder directly from an exercise. It's probably lack of warmup, mobility and strength in the smaller stabilising muscles. Get on it.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby JP » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:34 am

squats can be very damaging for your shoulders. try putting your hands to where they would be if you had a barbell - most cant get anywhere near that position without forcing and overstretching shoulders, triceps, elbows etc to get to that position.

Stretching will help, and keeping the shoulders warm for squat sessions.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Goob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:03 pm

@Chewy

Will start doing that from now on and see how it goes.

@JP

I just tried to get my arms in squat position without a bar and very painful just now, so likely that is the problem. I used to have a very wide grip on squats but moved it in quite a bit about a month ago, because I've been having trouble keeping upright with heavy weights and lots of people said that would help. I don't think it helped with that but probable that it's fucked up my shoulders.

Pretty upset about this now actually. Last night it felt much better after a hot shower, but today it's not good. :(
Goob

Postby vegan hal » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:14 pm

and w/ squats, you definitely do NOT want to go wide grip. because the key is have your upper back tight which is important to the lift.

I was in your position back in January when i started back up after taking 2 months off. i started very very light and just kept at the shoulder rehab stretches and such. and working on proper form. you'll get there.
vegan hal

Postby Goob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:37 pm

[quote="vegan hal"]and w/ squats, you definitely do NOT want to go wide grip. because the key is have your upper back tight which is important to the lift.

I was in your position back in January when i started back up after taking 2 months off. i started very very light and just kept at the shoulder rehab stretches and such. and working on proper form. you'll get there.

I think I'm sticking with front squats only for a while. Did some testing and seems not to aggravate my shoulders. I'd very much prefer not to take time off of squatting.
Goob

Next

Return to Training Logs