[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Chewy's Strength Log

Chewy's Strength Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Chewy's Powerlifting Log

Postby Goob » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:31 am

The strong guys at my gym set up deads with bands in the power rack like this video. (warning for shitty music)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMv_td9m1ZI[/youtube]

If that is a viable option for you, it seems ideal.

10x165 is beastly though. Especially since you weigh just a bit less than me now :)

I have been thinking about the 5/3/1 full body routine since you posted about it on my log, but both bench and squat kind of aggravate my shoulder and not sure about doing them both on the same day just yet. So have mostly convinced myself that front squat as deadlift assistance is good enough to keep me from being emo.
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby chewybaws » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:46 pm

With reverse bands I'd prob need to use a similar weight (or more) than what i'm doing for my main deadlifts and I want the band pulls to be assistance. Besides, got nowhere to rig it! I think the way we had it set in strength shop will work.

Week 2

Mon 30th January 2012
Bodyweight = 84.1kg

Squat
1x3x102.5kg
1x3x117.5kg
1x8x132.5kg (belt for this set)

DB Bench
3x10x22.5kg DBs

Kroc Rows
1x10x30kg DB (each side)
2x10x32.5kg DB (each side)

Dips
11, 11, 10

Weighted Plank
3x30s +25kg

Plate pinches with 15kg plates for grip

Enjoyable workout and nice squatting.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby Goob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:29 pm

[quote="chewybaws"]With reverse bands I'd prob need to use a similar weight (or more) than what i'm doing for my main deadlifts and I want the band pulls to be assistance. Besides, got nowhere to rig it! I think the way we had it set in strength shop will work.

Yeah, it would have to be pretty heavy, depending which size bands you have. I didn't even think about that before. I was just thinking it would be closer to your normal deadlift form if you started from the floor.The way with the low blocks seems the best option then.
Goob

Postby chewybaws » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Wed 1st February 2012
Bodyweight = 84.6kg

Front squat (no belt)
3x5x95kg

Bench
1x3x52.5kg
1x3x60kg
1x11x70kg

Pullups
10 normal
2x10 assisted with red super mini band

OHP
3x10x27.5kg

Cable crunches
2x10x30kg
1x25x20kg

Some grip work with Captains of Crush, closed #1 for 2 reps in left hand, 3 reps in right. Left forearm was a bit sore going into this workout.

Real happy with front squats, and bench - definitely a rep max for it. Can get a much better arch on my bench at home.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby chewybaws » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Fri 3rd February 2012

Squats
1x5x57.5kg
1x5x72.5kg
1x5x87.5kg
Paused at the bottom of the first/last rep of each set

Push Press (the first 2 sets here were supposed to be triples, completely forgot -_-, not a big deal)
1x5x45kg
1x5x72.5kg
1x9x57.5kg

Deadlift
1x3x137.5kg (no belt, hook grip)
1x3x155kg (no belt, hook grip)
1x9x175kg (belt, over under)

Deadlift off 1 block
3x10x100kg +tripled purple mini bands

Back's been a bit sore since my top set of deadlifts. Own fault, I could've left 1 or 2 in the tank but decided to kill myself. Wasn't really setting the reps up right and was just heaving it. I'll get a bath, and no workout sat/sun anyway so I'll be fine. Don't care how many reps I get next week, just want to be in a good position.

Yesterday for the first time I actually used my training logs, I made several discoveries which are going to help my training get back on track. There's a few bits and pieces I need to go through but I'll be making a post about it later.
chewybaws

Postby chewybaws » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Okay so I mentionned in the last post I put my training logs under the microscope. I dunno if I mentionned this or anyone noticed but my strength ain't been where it was last summer, after then I decided to try and boost my relative strength and try hit some PB's around 83kg. I've been trying to figure out what I've been doing wrong, obsessing over what exercises or program to go on. Obviously a couple of weeks ago I chose Jim Wendler's 5/3/1.

I decided to look back through my training log and write down my noticable PB's for the powerlifts (for 1 - 13 reps depending), and the date I hit them on. I discovered that EVERY PB under 10 reps (so 1-9RMs) were set between June-August 2011 when my bodyweight was at its highest. This came as no surprise. But it got me thinking I've never really looked at my bodyweight progression very closely.

So I went through my log and put all my bodyweight entries into an Excel spreadsheet. This was time consuming to say the least, as the first half of the entries were in pounds (I now use kilograms). I made a graph;

I quickly realised. I've NEVER made gains whilst just maintaining my bodyweight (or losing bodyweight, but that's to be expected). I could actually look at the graph and remember my training cycles from the beginning, throughout. I checked the dates with my log and everything makes sense.

Here's a quick run down of my training;
After discovering VBBF I got myself a light DB kit and for maybe a month or something. I weighed 10.5 stone at this point, 66kg. After much internet research I decided a strength program and bulking was the way for beginners. I ordered a 100kg barbell set, bench and power rack for my room. The graph starts when I started Stronglifts program in June 2009.

Stronglifts 5x5

June 2009 - February 2010
Basically just before I started stronglifts I went from just eating when hungry to eating 5000-6000 calories a day for 3 months. Gained a lot of strength, muscle but a lot of bodyfat too quickly. Decided to cut some of it back, that's the dip in the graph. Strength suffered tremendously and stopped making gains.

Stronglifts Advanced
February 2010 - April 2010
As seen on the graph, only maintained my bodyweight. Had a horrid cycle. Hated the program and struggled with the weights. No gains. Decided to start bulking again.

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1

April 2010 - November 2010
Made great gains on this program. My weight gain was steady and consistent. Only reason I stopped it was because I joined the weightlifting club.

Powerlifting peaking cycle to my first comp
November 2010 - Feb 2011
After a couple of weeks I got a program from the guy who runs the powerlifting club. Weight gain continued, made crazy gains, especially in the deadlift. Had a great first comp.

Post comp for whatever reason I stopped eating as much and burnt out, a couple of false starts starting new progs. Injured my back minorly and took a week off after this. You can actually see my bodyweight levelled off there. Decided to start Madcow 5x5 and start eating more again.

Madcow 5x5
April 2011 - June 2011
Fucking great cycle. Gained weight steadily, hit just about my highest BW. Hit tonnes of PB's in June.

4 week peaking schedule + 2nd comp
June 2011 - July 2011
Bodyweight still rose a tiny bit, attempted and hit many PB's thanks to Madcow's work. Another routine by the guy who runs the powerlifting. Had a great comp in July.

Just another peaking schedule really + 3rd comp

August 2011 - September 2011
This is where the shit hit the fan. I hit some higher rep PB's still with my strength from the last cycle. But my bodyweight skydived down 3 or 4kg and tried to get it back before the comp but it was too late. I also started to obsess with straightening out my back on deadlifts/form on other exercises. Horrid cycle, lost strength and had my worst competition yet.

Basically after this I was left with still a high'ish bodyweight but much weaker. And I thought what was the point of being this heavy and decided to drop to 83kg. I can kind of see why I done it then but it made no fucking sense. I never cared about relative strength or weight classes.

So before I started 5/3/1 a couple of weeks ago, I tried a few schedules from the guy who runs the powerlifting again. But as you can see, I lost bodyweight through to January 2012.

CONCLUSIONS;
*I don't gain strength or muscle while maintaining/losing bodyweight
*Volume in the program is irrelevant. I've made gains with all sorts as long as I'm bulking
*Steady weight gain is definitely the key to strength/muscle gains

It's funny looking back and thinking I put on 20kg of mass in about 14 or 15 months between May 2010 - July 2011. I stayed pretty lean during a lot of that time as well. I don't know how the hell I lost sight of my goal just to become a tank and started caring about relative strength and cutting back fat. I didn't even have that much at the time.

My focus is sharpened now though, the steady bulk is back on :D
chewybaws

Postby Orkje » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Nice analysis. I'll make sure to keep my training logs safe so I can look back over them in case things go wrong at some point. In any case, I wish you steady gains in both BW and PBs!
Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back. - Henry Rollins
Orkje

Postby baldy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:15 pm

Solid analysis and very clever to look back at your training like this. Will make sure you don't make the same mistakes again and you see the things that work again.
Out of interest when you started Stronglifts Advanced your bodyweight was the same as at the very beginning, what was your strength like?
Do you think if you just did the Stronglifts 5x5, you would have made better gains? Cos madcow isn't that different and worked really well.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby chewybaws » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 pm

[quote="baldy"]Solid analysis and very clever to look back at your training like this. Will make sure you don't make the same mistakes again and you see the things that work again.
Out of interest when you started Stronglifts Advanced your bodyweight was the same as at the very beginning, what was your strength like?
Do you think if you just did the Stronglifts 5x5, you would have made better gains? Cos madcow isn't that different and worked really well.
The big problem with Stronglifts was because of several injuries groin/knee/shoulder, I wasn't able to max squat the majority of the time. Switching from high bar to low bar certainly doesn't help with analysis either because my squat was getting a boost while my other lifts were remaining the same or getting weaker whilst losing weight (my bench/ohp especially).
I was also learning all these exercises from when the graph starts and started with an empty 20kg bar like stronglifts recommends so I can't really compare that to when my weight went back down again. Also getting better at technique/being more efficient further fucks up trying to gauge strength gains.

I think if i kept doing stronglifts instead of stronglifts advanced it wouldn't have made a difference, the problem was not eating enough. I think switching to 5/3/1 when I was starting to bulk was definitely a good idea. There's only so long you can do near max 5x5 squats for. As far as later down the line, Madcow was the right call. It's only like a 2.2% increase per week (roughly) as oppose to 7.5kg squat 2.5-5kg other lifts per week on stronglifts. And also it's just the 1 top set rather than 5 heavy sets. It was sustainable for a few months.

I think doing 5/3/1 for a while is definitely the right move now. I done it for nearly 7 months before and I know it's sustainable while I'm gaining weight.
chewybaws

Postby knackers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 am

Good work, it just shows how important training logs are.
Calories are damn important like you have found out.
Lift, EAT, sleep, become a beast. Training is only 1-2 hours a day at most for the majority of people. Theres another 20+ hours of the day, and during that time we have to make sure we are feeding ourselves and getting enough sleep to recover.
So in reality aswell as a looking at your food, how has your sleep been?
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby Goob » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:00 pm

So, race to 140 kg bodyweight? :mrgreen:
Goob

Postby chewybaws » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Haha I'm hoping to be up around 100kg by the year end.

Sleep's mentionned below, although before this week never had any major issues with sleep, most nights i get 7 to 8 hours.

Week 3

Mon 6th February 2012
Bodyweight = 86.7kg

Squat
1x5x110kg
1x3x125kg
1x5x140kg (belt for this set only)

DB Bench
3x10x22.5kg DBs

Kroc Rows
3x10x32.5kg DB

Dips
3x10

Plate Pinches for grip, 2x1m plank for abs.

Worked out around midday, and just didn't get enough carbs in before it. Just a glass of orange juice, couple of slices of toast and jam + protein shake first thing in the morning. I ran out of vega sport last week so tried making my own pre workout drink and it didn't blend properly so that was a waste. Squats felt really fucking heavy. I had completely no energy, I dunno what I ran on for the rest of the workout. Dips were surprisingly easy though.

Tue 7th February 2011
Intervals on stationary bike. 15mins total with 5x20s flat out.

Tried taking a reference picture today but it didn't come out so well, blurry...

On Saturday I was dumped by my girl after over 5 years together. I'm obviously pretty depressed just now and not been eating or sleeping optimally. You never realise what you had till it's gone.
chewybaws

Postby baldy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:04 pm

[quote="chewybaws"]
On Saturday I was dumped by my girl after over 5 years together. I'm obviously pretty depressed just now and not been eating or sleeping optimally. You never realise what you had till it's gone.

Shit man, sorry to hear. It can be a tough time, last breakup I lived on builders bars for a week and lost tons of weight, was very shit. Give it time and don't stress if training, sleeps, food etc sucks for a while. Give yourself sometime, then come back strong.
Heart healing vibes!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Goob » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:05 am

Breakups suck for sure. Last serious one for me was just terrible. Got dumped by phone after 2 years while I was out of town on business. Was the worst I'd ever felt. Then at the end of the trip I was told my position was being eliminated and I had to take a job doing basically the same thing for way less money with a longer commute or just not have a job anymore. Everything went to shit after that for a while.

Not much you can do besides feel shitty till you don't feel so shitty anymore. Happy relationships don't end in breakups though, which probably doesn't help any, but it's something to think about.
Goob

Postby chewybaws » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Cheers guys

Wed 8th February 2012
Bodyweight = 84.4kg

Front squats (no belt)
3x5x97.5kg

Bench
1x5x57.5kg
1x3x65kg
1x9x72.5kg

Pullups
10 normal, then 2x10 assisted with purple mini band

OHP
3x10x30kg

Ab roller (on knees)
1x10 BW
2x10 +5kg

For grip I just swung from handles on my pullup bar.

Had a fucking horrendous sleep last night, but a real decent workout considering. Cheered me up a good bit. Happy with bench, the 10 pullups were easier than last week.
chewybaws

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs