[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Chewy's Strength Log

Chewy's Strength Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Chewy's Powerlifting Log

Postby chewybaws » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:15 am

Wed 15th June 2011
Morning weight = 88.2kg

Squat
1x5x87kg
1x5x102kg
2x5x116kg (belt)

OHP
1x5x32kg
1x5x36kg
1x5x41kg
1x5x45kg

Deadlift
1x5x141kg
1x5x162kg
1x5x182kg (belt)
1x4x202kg (445lbs) (belt) (failed 5th rep) New 4RM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFxSCtx00s0[/youtube]

First set is my mate Steph (vegan), he recently passed the 8 month mark of working out. Until 12 weeks ago, his first 5 months were spent losing 3 stone (42lbs or 19kg) bodyweight (was training him up at my house before he started at the club). He started Madcow a week before me and has made immense gains now that he's eating a bit more. That set concluded his 12 week cycle on madcow for deadlifts. The last 10 weeks have been 5RMs for him. All the powerlifters came in early to see him because he had a bet on for £10 with one of the guys that he would make his final deadlift weight. The amazing thing was the bet was made right at the start of the 12 week cycle haha.

I was gutted that I missed my 5 reps, but was still strong and a 4RM. I don't normally try to hitch but I watched the video back frame by frame and it made sense what happened. When i hit my sticking point on that last rep, my hips dropped down a tiny bit and so did the bar (I felt that) so I tried to hitch to recover and just completely lost it. I'm really disapointed with my form though, when I look at the vids of my last comp although my upper back was rounded, my lower back was only slightly rounded and I maintained the position throughout the lift. When I look at my set from yesterday, it doesn't even look like I make an effort to get into a good position, has to be why I'm struggling with the lockout.

I'm going to try again next week without doing so much work before the top set, the set at 182kg was tiring. And just gonna ditch the squats/press prior as well. It'll be the last week afterall.

Good things I'm taking away from it is the speed i'm getting off the bottom, the first rep was crazy quick for 202.5kg!

Got stuff to work on, just how it goes.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby vegan hal » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:44 pm

killer Dead lifting chewy to you and your friend. clearly you're both dedicated and have a great gym.
vegan hal

Postby baldy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:57 pm

:shock: great lifting, that 5th one was so close! was grip failing or just run out of gas?
Really good deadlifting.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby chewybaws » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks guys!

[quote="baldy"]:shock: great lifting, that 5th one was so close! was grip failing or just run out of gas?
Really good deadlifting.
Was tired man, the bar dip was unexpected (grip was fine, never been an issue for me since I switched to mixed grip). Frame by frame video shows my hips dropped down a bit. My form needs major work, I can deal with a rounded upper back at the end of the lift, in the past I always seemed to be able to lock out somehow. My problem now is an excessively rounded lower back from the start is leaving my hips out away from the bar when I'm trying to lockout.

Getting great speed off the floor, but lockout is letting me down. The plan is to get back to where my form was on my first comp.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby Anton » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 pm

so close man! that first lift just shot up! awesome lifting.
Anton

Postby JP » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:47 am

good work man, and get your friend on VF too to increase the trash talk :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby tal » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:14 am

Your lifting over the months has been fantastic. I'm really impressed with your progress, keep it going!
tal

Postby Goob » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:33 pm

It's great to see how much progress you have made because it was your log on vegan bodybuilding that got me interested in lifting weights in the first place. Really, it's just amazing how strong you are now man. Keep it up!
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:55 pm

Fierce work buddy!

If you're struggling with lockout I think the standard prescription is either pin-pulls or chains/bands yes-no?

Worth a look maybe.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby chewybaws » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Believe me JP, I'm trying to get him on here (been trying for a while).

Stoaty, I'd favour chains/bands, as chances are pin pulls or off blocks i'm more likely to start with a straight back. And my back's never straight at that point in a heavy deadlift haha. Problem is don't have bands or chains (recommendations for where to get cheap chain would be much appreciated). In the meantime, work on form from the bottom and hopefully won't be so hunched over when it comes to lockout.

Fri 20th June 2011
Morning weight = 88.1kg
Workout weight = 91.2kg

Squat
1x5x87kg
1x5x102kg
1x5x116kg (belt)
1x5x131kg (belt)
1x3x150kg (belt) New 3RM
1x8x116kg (belt)

Bench
1x5x52kg
1x5x60kg
1x5x69kg
1x3x77kg (wrist wraps, cut the reps to save energy)
1x3x88kg (wrist wraps) New PR
1x8x69kg (wrist wraps)

Barbell row
1x5x46kg
1x5x54kg
1x5x62kg
1x5x69kg
1x3x79kg (New PR)
1x8x62kg

EZ curls
2x8x28.5kg

Not much to say except that I had an awesome workout. Everything was solid, good depth on squats. New PR on bench, never done that weight before and tripled it (old max 87.5kgx2). Barbell row form's improved since last video (just tweaks to go like flattening out back and getting knees back a bit), happy with it.

Steph had his last workout on Madcow (after 12 weeks).

Anyway, spoiling you guys again with a video. I'm uploading a version without the music incase you can't view it in your region or it gets pulled for copyright (will edit post when it's uploaded);
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26XImQmNaOE[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26XImQmNaOE Youtube link for better quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AThpfdX0FUkVersion without music
chewybaws

Postby chewybaws » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Madcow 5x5 - Week 12 (Final week!)

Mon 20th June 2011
Morning weight = 88.6kg

Squat
1x5x90kg
1x5x105kg
1x5x120kg (belt)
1x3x135kg (belt, only a triple for saving energy)
1x5x150kg (330lbs) - New 5RM!

Bench
1x5x52kg
1x5x60kg
1x5x69kg
1x3x77kg (wrist wraps, only a triple for saving energy)
1x4x86kg (wrist wraps)

Barbell row
3x5x60kg

DB Bench
1x15x25kg DBs

So stoked about squatting 150kg for 5 reps. All I've done above 150 before is a single at 152.5kg and 157.5kg (last one at my comp). So today was a great accomplishment. Bench was a complete repeat of last week for the top set, 4th rep was a grinder so racked it.

Although this is the last week on Madcow, I'm swapping lots of stuff because I'm starting a 3 week peaking cycle next week (to lead up to my competiton) and don't want to be burnt out before I start. So I'm replacing Friday's heavy squats with Wednesday's light ones (so I'm just doing some light pressing then deadlifts on wednesday), and after light squats on friday for bench I'll just do something to tie me over till Monday, and either some rows/pullups.
chewybaws

Postby vegan hal » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:25 pm

sweet session there Chewy. both you and your buddy.

i gotta say, i'm surprised I still have 1 lift over you (bench), but seeing that you did 3x88kg, you're no doubt smashing my 1RM, so to that i say congrats!! you're making killer progress in no time.

rock n roll!
vegan hal

Postby chewybaws » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Cheers hal!

Wed 22nd June 2011

OHP
1x5x32kg
1x5x37kg
1x5x42kg
1x5x46kg

Deadlift
1x5x142.5kg
1x4x162.5kg (belt)
1x3x182.5kg (belt)
1x2x202.5kg (belt)

Wide grip pullups
3x5

An absolute stinker of a workout. Bad sleep, didn't eat as much as usual. Was planning on doing some front squats as a warmup and I seemed to overstretch my knee when taking the bar, completely tightened up over a few reps and had to stop. Joints hurt during OHP. And deadlifts were a disaster. Tried fixing my form a bit which just gave me more aches and pains. Plan was to try and nail the 202.5kgx5 this week (missed it by a rep last week) but I bailed on the 3rd rep, wasn't happening. Was a horde of things wrong with the day so I'm not worrying about it. Taking Friday off to let my body recover then Monday I'll start 3 weeks of training then a week off before my competition in July.

These days happen, not getting me down.
chewybaws

Postby Rach » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Fantastic progress Chewy! Congrats :D
Rach

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:48 pm

[quote="chewybaws"]Stoaty, I'd favour chains/bands, as chances are pin pulls or off blocks i'm more likely to start with a straight back. And my back's never straight at that point in a heavy deadlift haha. Problem is don't have bands or chains (recommendations for where to get cheap chain would be much appreciated).

Sorry, haven't got back to you on this yet have I?

Andy Bolton says that to make rack pulls work for the deadlift, you have to be in the same shape as you would be at that point in a pull from the floor. If that's a challenge then maybe bands/chains would work out better for you. Chains I got from pullum sports (pricey) but you could probably pick 'em up from a builder merchant/scrappy or somewhere else where blokes make a living hitting/welding/building stuff far cheaper.

Bands are available from Buzz; your friendly local vegan strength sport equipment purveyor, but I've never figured out what to anchor them to for deads. You could always attach them to a squat rack for box squats if your clubs 'racks are well enough anchored to the ground and that'd give you most of the benefits...

Fierce progress here man, you start getting much better I'm going to have to take the hint from Spug and kneecap you to stop you pulling away from me in an uncontrollable fashion on the strength table :twisted:
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs