Lift, run, eat, repeat

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Lift, run, eat, repeat

Postby bara_tomas » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Time for a training log! I'll start with some of my training history, and talk a bit about my goals. Sorry if this ends up a little long! But if there's anywhere you're allowed to be wordy and self-indulgent, it should be your own training log, right? :)

Used to be a swimmer for many years, then did some wing chun kung fu for a while. Got into running while living in Spain for a year, but mostly stopped when I got back to the crappy Swedish climate. This, coupled with a period of depression (long story), left me overweight and just in terrible physical shape in general. I looked bad and felt even worse.

As a New Year's resolution for 2012 I started going to the gym and improved my diet. Seeing user chewybaws on this forum inspired me to start Stronglifts 5x5, which I loved. Since I've been on a calorie deficit for most of the time, 5 sets got to be a bit much for recovery, and for the last few months I've been doing the Starting Strength Practical Programming Novice program.

Results so far are pretty good I think. I've lost around 15 kg, which leaves me at about an even 100 kg right now ( at 182 cm tall). Would still like to drop a lot more, I'm guessing 10-15 kg, but it takes time. Don't care about actual numbers on scale really, just want to feel good and look alright. Still love lifting and still seeing good progress every week!

Current PRs (in kgs):

Squat: 5 x 107.5, 1 x 140
Bench press: 5 x 85, 1 x 100
Overhead press: 5 x 60, 2 x 67.5
Deadlift: 5x160, 1 x 170

I've been trying out my max in the big lifts this week + trying some new assistance exercises. The point of this is preparation for starting 5/3/1 next week together with my training buddy (unfortunately not vegan). Felt like it was time for a change, as squatting 3x/week was getting too much for recovery. This has also allowed me to start doing some very light jogging, which feels sooo good.

Diet is nothing too special. Trying to keep it varied and eat as much fruit and veggies as student budget and calorie counting will allow, and aiming at getting lots of protein. I've ended up doing IF, mostly for convenience. Works just fine, so will probably stick with it.

Some long term goals are a lifting total of 440-450 something, running a marathon at least once in my life (maybe summer 2014), being able to do 10+ pull-ups. And let's not forget looking good! 8) I'm aware lifting and running might be hard to combine, but I'll try and see how it goes. Lifting and weight loss will probably be top priority for at the very least the next six months or so.

Let's go! :D
bara_tomas

Re: Lift, run, eat, repeat

Postby kallefs » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Nice introduction, nice log title, really nice numbers :)
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby bara_tomas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:54 pm

kallefs wrote:Nice introduction, nice log title, really nice numbers :)

Thanks! :D

So, let's get started with this.

Last friday I tested my squat max and managed 150 kg, which is a 10 kg improvement, so really happy with that. Didn't do much else useful. Saturday I went for a run, or maybe jog is more accurate, ca. 5 km in 40 min. I'm going to keep aiming for 30-40 minutes of easy jogging twice a week for a while, just to get used to running again.

Now for today's workout...

5/3/1 cycle 1, week 1, day 1

Deadlift
warmup 60x5, 75x5, 90x3
then 100x5, 115x5, 130x11

Barbell rows
40x10, 60x10

Pull-ups
10 reps x 3, assisted, purple resistance bands

Still felt tired from going out and drinking too much on Saturday, won't make that mistake again at least for a while. Happy with deadlifts, 11 reps on the max set was way better than I'd hoped for. Excited to start the new program!

First time doing ordinary barbell rows, trying them out as assistance mostly for the sake of variety, as well as convenience since my training partner does them. Didn't know what weight to use, but will probably go for 60 or 65 for 3 sets of 10 this first cycle.

Pull-ups went well. The bands help a alot, but I'm still too heavy to get a decent workout with unassisted pull-ups. (Well, I guess it's possible using negatives etc, but i like this better and it seems to work.) This was actually first time I managed 3 sets of 10, which has been a goal for some time now, so will try switching to lighter bands next week and see how that goes.

Food has not been too great during the weekend because of drinking etc, but all things considered could easily have done much worse. Cooking for the rest of the week today and tomorrow, so at least I won't screw up my eating because of laziness.

Looking forward to the rest of this week, both the running and the lifting. Although a little nervous about max rep set on squats...
bara_tomas

Postby Konstantin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Sounds a good plan! Any shorter events planned on the way to the marathon?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby bara_tomas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Konstantin wrote:Sounds a good plan! Any shorter events planned on the way to the marathon?

There will definitely be something, as a marathon feels like a really long term goal atm. Nothing too specific planned yet, but I'll probably do a local 10 km one next summer. I suppose it might be a good idea to try a half marathon or something next year as well, but haven't really checked out what the options are yet. Although I've been in better shape than now, I've never really been particularly serious about running before, so there's a lot to learn.
bara_tomas

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:10 pm

good stuff remember to get some videos up of the big lifts!
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby bara_tomas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:19 am

Lordmuppet wrote:good stuff remember to get some videos up of the big lifts!

Yup, will try to do that eventually, just have to get someone to film it.
bara_tomas

Postby bara_tomas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:55 am

Pretty busy with studies atm, so forgot to update this. Didn't forget training though :)

5/3/1 cycle 1, week 1, day 2

Bench press
warmup 20x5, 35x5, 45x5, 55x3
then 60x5, 65x5, 75x14

Incline dumbbell bench press
26 kg x10 for 3 sets

Dips
3 x max - 5, 5, 4 reps

Final bench set was kind of crazy. It's the first week though, so this high rep nonsense will probably sort itself out eventually ^^

I'm still figuring out dumbbell bench, barely done it before so technique is all over the place. Weights purposely a bit low (that's 26 per dumbbell, if anyone's wondering).

I suck at dips. Not much more to say here :P

5/3/1 cycle 1, week 1, day 3

Overhead press
warm up 25x5, 35x5, 40x3
then 45x5, 50x5, 55x7

Hanging knee raises
3 sets - 10, 8, 6 reps

Pushups
3 sets - 10, 8, 8 reps

OH press wasn't great, but alright. Could probably have managed one or two more on final set on better day. When I'm not completely focused core stability turns to crap, and everything above 3-4 reps starts looking terrible.

Then alternated sets of hanging hanging knee raises and pushups, to save time. Nothing spectacular, but pushups are improving. Being able to do lots of pushups is cool, so that's good 8)

5/3/1 cycle 1, week 1, day 4
Squats
warmup 55x5, 65x5, 80x3
then 85x5, 100x5, 115x6

Chinups
3 x max, 10-9-6

Plank
60 seconds

I hate squats. Wish it wasn't good for you. But 6 reps is one more than prescribed, so guess I should be happy.

...and finally, today:

5/3/1 cycle 1, week 2, day 1
Deadlift
warmup 60x5, 75x5, 90x3
then 105x3, 120x3, 135x12

Pull-ups
3 x max, 6-5-6, assisted, red resistance bands

Barbell row
60x10x3

Deadlifts were brutal. Not much more to add here. Curious to see how this progresses!

Did pull-ups with light resistance bands for the first time. Obviously harder than with the medium strength ones, but not as much as expected. Hope to be able to ditch the bands completely in a few months. Losing some weight would probably help with this.

Also did some jogging two days last week. About 5 km, 40 minutes both times = still taking it really easy. Knees felt a little dodgy first time, but haven't felt anything after that, so hopefully I just need to remember to warm up properly.

Hard to tell if weight is going down since it varies so much from day to day, but I think I'm on the right track. If I keep from cheating more than like once a week, I should be able to drop below 100 kg before the end of the year. Trying to be careful though, don't want to eat too little now that I'm getting back into running.

Also, thanks for the responses guys!
bara_tomas

Postby bara_tomas » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:46 am

5/3/1 cycle 1, week 2, day 2

Bench press
warmup 35x5, 45x5, 55x3
then 60x3, 65x3, 75x12

Dips
3x max - 7, 6, 7 reps

26 kg x10 for 2 sets + 26x6 for 1 set

5/3/1 cycle 1, week 2, day 3

Overhead press
warmup 20x5, 25x5, 35x5, 40x3
then 45x3, 55x3, 60x6

Push ups
3 sets - 12, 10, 10

Hanging knee raises
3 sets - 10, 5, 10

5/3/1 cycle 1, week 2, day 4

Squats
warmup 55x5, 65x5, 80x3
then 95x3, 100x3, 120x5

Chin-ups
3 x max - 10, 10, 10 (assisted by medium resistance bands, switching to light bands next week)

Plank
110 seconds

Also did some running in between days 2 and 3, still taking it really easy, but feels good. Hope to afford new running shoes this month :D
bara_tomas

Postby vegan_rossco » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:49 am

Hey nice numbers dude! where abouts are you from??
vegan_rossco

Postby bara_tomas » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:59 am

vegan_rossco wrote:Hey nice numbers dude! where abouts are you from??

Thanks! :) I'm quite happy with the numbers myself, considering I've only been at it about 9 months or so. Although I'm still at a little over 100 kg bodyweight - hopefully not for too much longer - so I'm not exactly super strong taking that into account...

I'm from Sweden, currently living and studying in a small-ish place not too far from Stockholm (the capital).

Took a look at your log, and you're looking strong yourself, especially considering BW! How long have you been lifting?
bara_tomas

Postby vegan_rossco » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Awesome :) what are you studying?
Well it's not that impressive considering I've been lifting for a couple of years, started with martial arts (taekwondo) so got into calisthenics and then just joined a local gym and didn't really follow a programme for a while. I've only recently sorted my training out and realllly wanna get into powerlifting eventually :)
vegan_rossco

Postby bara_tomas » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 pm

vegan_rossco wrote:Awesome :) what are you studying?

Spanish at the moment, going to be a teacher (English and Spanish). About a year and a half left to get my degree.

vegan_rossco wrote:Well it's not that impressive considering I've been lifting for a couple of years, started with martial arts (taekwondo) so got into calisthenics and then just joined a local gym and didn't really follow a programme for a while. I've only recently sorted my training out and realllly wanna get into powerlifting eventually :)

Well, with lifting it seems it takes a while for most people to sort of find out where they want to go and how to best go about it. I was just lucky that I pretty much started with Stronglifts, was about to go with like a typical bodybuilder beginner's routine at first, basically lots of machines and lots of isolation exercises. So glad I didn't do that, don't think I'd have liked it nearly as much, nor got nearly a good results either for that matter.

Powerlifting does seem like it could be fun. Would love to try it sometime, but don't see myself having the time for competitions and such anytime soon.
bara_tomas

Postby bara_tomas » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:28 pm

A little update before bed, supposed to get up early tomorrow and go for a run. Sleep hasn't been great lately, neither in terms of quantity nor quality. Blaming it on stressing out over studies, have managed to take my procrastinating to new unheard-of levels this semester. Very thankful that we at least got to turn the clock back an hour this past weekend, really needed it.

5/3/1 cycle 1, week 3, day 1

Deadlift
warmup 60x5, 75x5, 90x3
then 115x5, 130x3, 145x7

Barbell rows
3 sets of 10 reps, 60 kg

Pull ups
2 sets - first 3 reps, second 1 rep...

Overslept, so didn't have my training buddy with me. Gym also much more crowded at mid-day than in the morning, annoying teenagers everywhere and a total pain trying to find the right plates. Deadlifts went well though, probably could have squeezed out one or two more reps, but felt that form was starting to slip so decided to play it safe.

Pull ups were horrible, as I forgot to bring the resistance bands I normally use for assistance. Apparently strength to fat ratio still isn't good enough for getting a decent workout with unassisted pull ups :oops: This got me frustrated, and wanting to do something more for my back I did a couple of sets of lat pulldowns, first time since beginning of year. Didn't really seem to do much good though, just got sore shoulders, and not really the good kind of sore either :x

5/3/1 cycle 1, week 3, day 2

Bench press
warmup 20x10, 35x5, 45x5, 55x3
then 65x5, 75x3, 85x5

3 sets of 10 at 22 kg

Dips
3 sets max - 9, 9, 7 reps

Good workout. Had hoped for maybe one or two more reps on final bench set, but still good for a 1+ set. Lowered weights a bit on dumbbell press, as I wanted to save some strength for dips (they're more fun!). Very pleased with dips progress, when I started doing them a few weeks ago I could just do like 3-4 reps. Hoping to make the magical 10 rep milestone next week!

Still waiting for my new running shoes, package arrived in Sweden this afternoon (sent from Germany). I feel like a kid before Christmas! :lol:
bara_tomas

Postby vegan_rossco » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Is your gym part of your college/university, mine is and is usually jam packed full of teenagers "bro-ing out" doing nothing but bicep curls and bench press, so depressing.. keep it up with the pull ups man why not try chins or hammer grip chins? I found those invaluable in getting my pullups up to scratch and I agree with you on the lat pull down!
Enjoy the run tomorrow dude!
vegan_rossco

Return to Training Logs