Blond.Bee's Training & Nutrition Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Blond.Bee's Training & Nutrition Log

Postby Blond.Bee » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:33 am

-Training-
Walk 1hr
Wii boxing 30 mins

-Nutrition-
2 small bowls green soup
Impossible is Temporary
Blond.Bee

Postby Blond.Bee » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:41 am

Got to the gym today but still didn't feel up to lifting... missing it, I'm hoping for a decent nights sleep and tomorrow i'll be back to it *crosses fingers*

-Training-
30 mins cross trainer- level 12, random hills
30 mins bike- level 6, random hills
Walk 1.5 hrs

-Nutrition-
Banana
1 square of dark chocolate- just what I needed, never tasted so good.
Bowl of green soup
Impossible is Temporary
Blond.Bee

Postby KaliBaby » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:51 am

hun, you're eating more than what you've been posting right?? lifters need their fuel! :wink:
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby Blond.Bee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:15 am

KaliBaby wrote:hun, you're eating more than what you've been posting right?? lifters need their fuel! :wink:

um...no. I've been having some probs with food but having to write it down every day is helping.
Impossible is Temporary
Blond.Bee

Postby Blond.Bee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:22 am

-Training-
Pilates class 1 hr- hard! my back has never been so sore after pilates, really good but bad at the same time.
Walk- 2.5 hrs relaxed pace

-Nutrition-
Banana
Chai Tea
Bowl of green soup
Impossible is Temporary
Blond.Bee

Postby JP » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:07 am

helping in what way, to eat more or less or better?

but yeah, i was always hoping you only log half or a quarter of what you eat because it looks like it... :oops: you must be in starvation, not athlete, mode with so little food?

Also your protein intake is not adequate for strength training.

sorry to be blunt!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Blond.Bee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:09 am

JP wrote:helping in what way, to eat more or less or better?

but yeah, i was always hoping you only log half or a quarter of what you eat because it looks like it... :oops: you must be in starvation, not athlete, mode with so little food?

Also your protein intake is not adequate for strength training.

sorry to be blunt!

More and better. I started off stronger but I've got a bit off track recently. I don't feel starving, I'm not cold or lightheaded and have energy but yeah the protein's bad I know, I've been trying with lentil soups and the shakes but they don't seem to agree with me so it's always a challenge. No need to apologize for being blunt, I have that voice in the back of my head, it just can't quite seem to force itself forward :roll:
I've been looking up recipes today, trying to tempt myself into getting back on track, just not quite there yet.
Impossible is Temporary
Blond.Bee

Postby JP » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:45 am

so many different protein shakes though.

soya, pea, hemp, rice protein - many of them flavoured.

then mixing it with what ever takes your fancy, i use red grape juice.

protein bars could work too?

but yeah, if you want to do well in strength training you should be looking at at least doubling your food intake...
JP
Site Admin

Postby Blond.Bee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:46 am

yeah but so many stomach aches to accompany them! I've tried all of them plain adding different flavoury things and pea seems to be the least painful but I read I'd be missing out if I didn't mix it with rice, so I've been trying that with soy milk/water/juice/fruit and I still end up gaging for hours afterwards and with horrid stomach aches, and they fill me up for an entire day!
I'm interested in protein bars, I thought the liquid was absorbed faster/better... is the difference really noticeable?
I'm curious to give them a try, do you think adding more protein to say a thrive recipe energy bar would be appropriate? I'm not going anywhere near the packaged ones so I think I'll find some different recipes and give them a try :) fingers crossed I'll love them and this will all get easier.
Thanks JP, I appreciate the nudges in the right direction. I'll get there... one baby step at a time.
Impossible is Temporary
Blond.Bee

Postby JP » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:40 am

i think you shouldnt worry about absorbtion speeds - at the moment you dont eat anything to absorb! Basics first, details later.

also dont worry about what you have read about protein combining, that really doesnt matter. Especially in the situation when you dont have much protein intake to combine with anything in the first place.

Also i'd rather see you eat packaged/processed/chemical stuff than nothing at all, i think body would prefer that too :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:39 pm

I'd just like to echo what's been said here Blond.Bee. You need to eat more.

Trust in your exercise. If you are eating well, enjoying training and improving you will see the results you want. If you aren't fuelling yourself your training will suffer, exercise will be tough and you'll struggle to progress.

Maybe have a look at the calorie intakes of athletes you admire, that might help adjust your mindset regarding food?
SpugFab

Postby Blond.Bee » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:45 am

JP- not a chance! I've got a million recipes to try now (loving the recipe section!) and have fallen in love with 'love veggies and yoga' I'm sure I can do this without resorting to junk :P

SpugFab- Thanks, thats a really good idea. I actually worked up the courage to ask a lifter at the gym this morning about her diet. I've admired her for years and talking to her about it felt really good.
If you are eating well, enjoying training and improving you will see the results you want. If you aren't fuelling yourself your training will suffer, exercise will be tough and you'll struggle to progress.
Thats the thing that gets me, I'm loving training and seeing good improvements...

-Training-
Warm up- Cross Trainer 5 mins on level 12 Random
Squat- 3 x 4 @ 80kg
Bench Press- 6,5,3 @ 37.5kg PB!!!
45 Degree Leg Press- 3 x 6 @ 160kg PB!!!
Standing Cable Flys- 10,10,7 @ 8.75
Dumbbell Shoulder Press on swiss ball- 3 x 8 @ 8kg
Reverse fly on swiss ball- 3 x 8 @ 5kg
Wrist exercise (rolling up weight on a rope attached to a pole) 4, 3 @ 1.25
Back extension- 2 x 8 holding a 10 kg plate at arms length & into chest as you rise
Standing rotation- 2 x 6 (each side) on level 10

Squats felt stronger than last time, getting much more comfortable with the heavy weights :)
Bench was nice and strong, going up well. Wrists and shoulders feel good, just hoping it stays that way.
Leg press was great! Nice and strong, I know I can do more next time, exciting!
My training feels great, my numbers are going steadily up and I have enough energy for everything else too. I can't be that far off...I haven't lost muscle or strength but have dropped fat... isn't that a good thing?

-Nutrition-
Banana
Recovery Pudding- banana, 1 scoop pea prot., vanilla, cocoa, chia seeds, water, stevia. *** was much easier to get down than a shake, granted it took about an hour but I don't feel as sick***
Roast Veggies- pumpkin, parsnip, mushroom, eggplant, cauliflower
Chai Tea (w. lots of soy milk)
Impossible is Temporary
Blond.Bee

Postby JP » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:54 pm

that looks like a better food intake - if that was what you ate before noon :D

in total maybe less than 20g of protein, or was that pudding MASSIVE? You would need to have 1.7g/kg or above ideally according to mainstream sports nutritionist recommendations.

dont get fooled with feeling good or strong - thats thanks to evolution, in times of malnutrition and low calorie intake body will try to remain ready and active so it can actually get food.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Blond.Bee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:01 am

JP wrote:that looks like a better food intake - if that was what you ate before noon :D

in total maybe less than 20g of protein, or was that pudding MASSIVE? You would need to have 1.7g/kg or above ideally according to mainstream sports nutritionist recommendations.

dont get fooled with feeling good or strong - thats thanks to evolution, in times of malnutrition and low calorie intake body will try to remain ready and active so it can actually get food.

I tried really hard!!! I was eating all day! My roast veggies took 3 oven loads! And the pudding alone had 30+g protein! I'm doing my best.
Impossible is Temporary
Blond.Bee

Postby Blond.Bee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:11 am

-Training-
1hr Cross Trainer, level 12, random hills
30 mins Bike, level 5, random hills
Pilates class- 1hr, Hard! (Inner thigh and back workout was amazing today)
1hr Walk

-Nutrition-
Dried Mango
Eggplant Chips with lots of Spicy Hummus (an ENTIRE large eggplant)
Cauliflower (half a head)
Big bowl of Green Soup with extra cashew cream
Chai Tea
Impossible is Temporary
Blond.Bee

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs