Walking log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Walking log

Postby mabli » Mon May 31, 2010 6:10 am

Sun 30th May

Yesterday my daughter, Pinkle and I walked in the Glyders, according to mapometer it was 17km with 1939m of acsent which I suspect isnt correct. It was a really wonderful day although quite windy at times visability was really good. We didnt get there until 11.30 and the laybys and carparks were completely chocca.

The great news is that the fellow who is leading us on Sat for the welsh 3,000s walk says it shouldnt take anything like 24 hours. Im really relieved personally Id prefer to walk quickly if poss although might change my tune next week. In readiness for the walk Ive been trying to walk slowly lol, hopfully wont need to now.

Yesterday's walk took us around 5 hours but we obviously messed around loads and walking with Pink on a lead in that environment is a big challenge.

Me with the snowdon horseshoe in background

Sprog on the cantilever stone.
To the left you can see Tryfan, lots of folk were jumping from Sion a Sian or Adam and Eve
Always energy left for cartwheels
mabli

Postby mabli » Mon May 31, 2010 4:51 pm

Just a shortish flat 10 miles today, couldnt decide where to go and only had a few hours to spare... my daughter suggested doing the horseshow in reverse then over the glyders to Tryfan and back again... which would be longer than the welsh 3,000s! It was so clear yesterday and everything looked so close that she's lost all perspective of distance i think.

Nothing at all happened other than seeing some oyster catchers which i thought were normally coastal and these were way inland. Took 2 3/4 hours
mabli

Postby iain_g » Mon May 31, 2010 8:41 pm

What are we going to do with ourselves after this trek? I am getting seriously concerned!
iain_g

Postby Starling in a cage » Mon May 31, 2010 10:38 pm

Mabli wrote:It was so clear yesterday and everything looked so close that she's lost all perspective of distance i think.

You don't let her navigate then?? :D

I was driving through Snowdonia on Sunday and the weather was fantastic. There's a stretch of the A5 approaching Pentrefolas where the road is very, very straight and there is a wonderful view of the Snowdon horseshoe and Tryfan and all the others in the region. It's a beautiful view most days, unless it's foggy, but on Sunday it was so clear that my heart melted and I felt that I was already home. (Which is odd, as I live in Shropshire :D :D )

Those photos are great. Such energy.
Life is a journey, not a destination ...
Always take the scenic route.
Starling in a cage

Postby mabli » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:38 am

iain_g wrote:What are we going to do with ourselves after this trek? I am getting seriously concerned!

enter an all vegan team into http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggie_8/ and win!

Starling in a cage wrote: You don't let her navigate then?? :D

I dont mind the "follow your nose" kind of navigation on a clear day, means she walks further and is more enthused as she's seeing what she wants... but no dont think I could follow her on a double horseshoe glyderau walk lol

She complains about being tired and then sprints off and Ill find her doing cartwheels or an impromptu scramble, she's only got one friend who will do the same, and her Dad's a mountain leader with RAF, so has also been brought up this way too. Most of her friends are bone idle and I dont have the patience to motivate them to do anything close to the walks we do. Both of my kids were clocking up 15+ milers with ascent when they were 4 with the help of that lovely phrase "not much further now, just round the corner and we're home" :D
mabli

Postby mabli » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:18 am

OK kids, so the walk is on sat so not got much time for any more training. Am spending today mooching around n wales showing one of the team memebrs from finland all the sites... i may be packing a bit too much into the itinary but i really want him to go home in love with my country :D :D :D

so its me, chloe and ian_g aaaaaaaaaaaargh what have we let ourselves in for??? ive also agreed to do snowdon horshoe again on tues so hope im not too knackered, probably need my head examining ;-)

kx
mabli

Postby mabli » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Background

For most of us this was only the second time we’d met, we’d answered various online ads for an all vegan team to tackle the 15 highest peaks in Wales all over 3,000 foot. For me this was a dream come true, I live close to the Carneddau and having an excuse to go out most days and “train” was brilliant. Our first meeting had been Yorks 3 Peaks in April where we first realised that we hadn’t made a mistake but were setting ourselves up for a great adventure with some of the funniest friendliest vegan folk you’re likely to meet.

Because this was an organised trip we were led by Lupine Adventure, (Dublin Dave’s old company) who took many of the photos and who I would recommend for any such outings as they also provided back up vehicles and supplies at 2 pit stops and were actually a barrel of laughs (genuinely). There were a few vf folk in the team, chloe, ian_g, Andy_t and another guy whose user name I cant remember (oops!)

The start at Pen y Pass car park

Looking up at Crib Goch

Crib Goch summit

On my way up
Garnedd Ugain sumitt
Coming off Snowdon into Nantperis
Elidir the far too Fawr, summit picnic
Ogwen Valley pit stop, still feeling pretty good and almost human at this stage.
Last edited by mabli on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mabli

Postby chloe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:02 pm

yay awesome write up!!
I also cant wait for our next challenge,lets make it sooner than later!!!
And as for that final descent to the cars,that was hell on earth,seriously that arduous dark endless down hill and not reeeallly knowing how long we were going to be downhilling,was a night mare,my spirits were pretty low at that stage.You did a seriously good job of getting us off the damn thing though!I think despite the Lupine guys brilliant guidance throughout,at that stage to be honest you were even leading the guides!!
Keep up the training,so that as soon as we find something suitably horrible :) we can all get onto it!
chloe

Postby iain_g » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Excellent write up :)
You are a natural for ML work, go for it!
iain_g

Previous

Return to Training Logs