2011 = 1200lb Total

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

2011 = 1200lb Total

Postby KC Masterpiece » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:48 am

Sorry I missed your birthday, buddy.

New Year, new focus, new log.

1.4.10 BJJ

12 days off :?

Lighter conditioning than usual; most everybody had taken at least a week off. Guard passing, pass drills... 1x8 min round. Best rolling session I've had in a while, actually. Went with a guy who's about 20 pounds lighter than me but usually puts on a sub clinic. I stayed relaxed and picked my moments and did fine.

Also got this in the mail today:

Been messing around with the general idea for a year or so, never really took it seriously.

Time to get biblical with this mofo. Hope to start w/in two weeks.
Last edited by KC Masterpiece on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KC Masterpiece

Postby KC Masterpiece » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:40 pm

1.6.10 BJJ

Our sister gym from the North Bay came to roll with us last night. We had 20 guys and girls instead of the usual... FOUR. Made for an interesting session.

It was good to roll with some new bodies; was a good gauge of my skill level at present, as that can get lost rolling with the same guys, day in and day out.

I got straight up pwnd by the same guy three times, got dominant position fairly easily on two guys and did really will with two guys. The guys I got position on: I could get to position but not really secure anything from there. This needs to be worked on. I've been noticing it more and more and obviously it needs improvement. ... Finding this out was one of the many benefits of rolling with new guys.

The session overall was pretty long; 15 minute warmup; 40 minutes guard passing; 40 minutes technique; 25 mintues live rolling.
KC Masterpiece

Postby KC Masterpiece » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:45 am

1.8.10 BJJ

Just me, the instructor, and the two little asian dudes. Short class. Some drilling of butterfly guard and feet in elbows + appropriate escapes.

Rolled with the instructor. Began to advance to dominant position, but could win the scramble. Or even come close. Haven't gotten to roll with him in a while though, so it was good.

Been eating super clean lately, including 24+ oz of coconut water + 4-6 dates right after class with a more protein heavy smoothie an hour out. I won't attribute it solely to this, but I felt phenomenal even 3 hours after class and 100% this morning for SS. WAR EATING CLEAN!

1.9.10 SS

Keep in mind these numbers are the result of quite a long time away from barbell strength training proper :wink:

Work sets:

Squat

3x5 @ 52 kg/115 lbs

Could have been way higher. My shoulders just werent used to the elbows back and up position. Will come along in a few sessions.

Bench

3x5 @ 48/105

Honestly more than I thought i'd get. Attributed 100% to finally reading the SS book cover to cover (and watching the DVD) and the form tips for BP.

Dead

1x5 @ 61/135

Still fairly new to this lift. Felt fine. Contraction of the abs combined with proper breathing really does support the spine/make the erectors job much easier.
KC Masterpiece

Postby ^toby^ » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:15 pm

good stuff!
'Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect Practice makes perfect' - Vince Lombardi
^toby^

Postby KC Masterpiece » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:42 pm

^toby^ wrote:good stuff!

Thanks, man! How's your back?

1.11.10 BJJ

Quite a poor session yesterday :lol:

I felt good going in but it just didn't happen. Conditioning (especially the rounds of macaco) killed me. I attribute all of it to inadequate sleep and no breakfast :cry:

Did have one good round with the top guy in our class. 8 min session, only one tap and sort of back and forth for the rest of the time.
KC Masterpiece

Postby KC Masterpiece » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:44 am

1.12.10 SS

Squat 3x5 @ 57/125

Still a touch stiff in the shoulders. Otherwise still fine.

OHP 3x5 @ 30/65

Felt fine.

PC 5x3 @ 30/65

Really could've started upping weight. Will go +10 for now versus +5lbs.
KC Masterpiece

Postby mouche » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:15 pm

KC Masterpiece wrote:Really could've started upping weight. Will go +10 for now versus +5lbs.

Go for it! It's the best feeling when all of a sudden your normal weights are just genuinely too light, rather than thinking you should probably increase because well, it's about that time...

All looking pretty good here, how's the rib doing these days?
mouche

Postby KC Masterpiece » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:04 am

mouche wrote:All looking pretty good here, how's the rib doing these days?

Proud to report: 100%

The only nagging things now are an ooooold mcl injury (which is pretty much constant but barely noticeable) and lack of conditioning :lol:
KC Masterpiece

Postby KaliBaby » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:10 am

you're crunching the same power lifting numbers as I do/did! haha it's all good, you're just beginning. having said that, do you have anyone who can check your form? don't want any injuries early on in the game.
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby KC Masterpiece » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:15 am

KaliBaby wrote:you're crunching the same power lifting numbers as I do/did! haha it's all good, you're just beginning. having said that, do you have anyone who can check your form? don't want any injuries early on in the game.

:oops: never learned to DL or squat properly. High school big on beach muscles, etc. etc. excuse, excuse :oops:

Yeah I posted some videos a while back here and elsewhere and I feel good. I am also gonna record the vids for my sessions now.

I read SS front to back and watched the DVD so i've made a few tweaks that make me 1000x more confident re: form.

Don't worry, I'll get my nuts back eventually!!
KC Masterpiece

Postby KaliBaby » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:18 am

hahaha I was joking around stud, please don't feel bad! what is SS? have you downloaded the free stronglifts ebook?
KaliBaby

Postby KC Masterpiece » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:20 am

KaliBaby wrote:hahaha I was joking around stud, please don't feel bad! what is SS? have you downloaded the free stronglifts ebook?

I have, that was the program I was on a while back. As far as I can tell its derived from Starting Strength (SS).
KC Masterpiece

Postby KaliBaby » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:30 am

hhhhmm can't imagine only doing 5 DLs. can you really gain strength with such a small amount of reps? power cleans are fun for sure, hope you enjoy them!
KaliBaby

Postby KC Masterpiece » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:42 am

KaliBaby wrote:hhhhmm can't imagine only doing 5 DLs. can you really gain strength with such a small amount of reps?

hmm, well it's the same as the Stronglifts prescribed DL set and there are several warm up sets (I think 4 in total).

I think the thought is that squatting heavy (eventually!) 3x/wk is taxing enough and that 1x5 DL is a good way to make decent gains w/o frying your CNS or PC because of the squat.

We'll see how it goes!
KC Masterpiece

Postby sosso » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:00 am

Good stuff. I'll be keeping an eye on this log :)
sosso

Next

Return to Training Logs