Things....

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: 10 weeks to go from zero to hero...

Postby skoptic » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Sun - a family party completely trashed my long run... But it's all in the bank by now.. It was just a vanity run ... Managed 5 miles.

Mon - rest

Tue - 5 miles ... Bought food for sat.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby IronGirl » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:57 am

Good luck Skoptic, know you can do it!
IronGirl

Postby baldy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:34 am

Not the best weather for your little jog, have fun.
SMASH IT UP!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:24 am

Hey - it's this weekend! Enjoy the carbo loading and have a great event.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby veganlisa » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:50 am

Hey, congrats with baby on the way and good luck with the race! :)
veganlisa

Postby skoptic » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks guys... looks OK weather wise (dry is all I want or the trails / hills will be twice as hard). I'll try to smash it up.. but might just knock it over and spit on it.

With the passing of Caballo Blanco last weekend, there's been a lot written about ultra running this week. It's very sad to hear about his tragic death, it has given a lot of media / pundit coverage to a sport which is essentially a mental game, and principally about enjoying running, running in nature and finding out about yourself. All this has given me good food for thought this week.

Wed - restathon
Thurs - 3 miles quick
Fri - rest

"Don't fight the trail. Take what it gives you. Make it effortless, like you don't care how high the hill is or how far you've got to go." Micah True (Caballo Blanco)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby veganlisa » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:55 pm

[quote="skoptic"]With the passing of Caballo Blanco last weekend, there's been a lot written about ultra running this week. It's very sad to hear about his tragic death, it has given a lot of media / pundit coverage to a sport which is essentially a mental game, and principally about enjoying running, running in nature and finding out about yourself. All this has given me good food for thought this week.

"Don't fight the trail. Take what it gives you. Make it effortless, like you don't care how high the hill is or how far you've got to go." Micah True (Caballo Blanco)

What Scott Jurek said about him really hit home with me:

"He always wanted to get people to understand what was most important in life and running. It was always about community and camaraderie and celebration. Running should be fun and running should be free. And that was his spirit always."
veganlisa

Postby skoptic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Yeah - good post, I never got a chance to reply to it yet... but will do :)

So 40 miles nailed yesterday - great day out and a really lovely course round the Chiltern Hills. It was pretty damn hilly, and it did rain a bit in the middle of the day, but as my first ultra (and first race) in 18 months... it was great to have a number pinned on my chest again :)

The race is a figure of 8 with half the field doing just 20 miles. Everything was great until about 25 when my back started to really hurt (I haven't been stretching enough and my hams / lower back were very tight). I had to keep pausing to stretch which meant progress slowed down. The last 10 were tough because my training hadn't gone past 22 miles - but I never signed up to this for an easy ride! Ended up taking 8 hours which was very slow for me, but it was very hilly and I didn't really care about time.

It was a beautiful race.. brilliant to do my first ultra in so long, and I managed to raise over £1000 for my friend, so all in all a very good day :)

skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby IronGirl » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:48 pm

Awesome run Skoptic. I have no idea how you can up the distance like that, amazing well done you!

Fantastic on the fundraising as well. I'm thinking of doing my Ironman this year for charity. How did you do it?
IronGirl

Postby purple_mog » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:15 pm

wow - sounds amazing and congrats on finishing and enjoying it :D
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby skoptic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:07 pm

[quote="IronGirl"]Awesome run Skoptic. I have no idea how you can up the distance like that, amazing well done you!

Fantastic on the fundraising as well. I'm thinking of doing my Ironman this year for charity. How did you do it?

Yeah - it was a careful balance getting from 8 miles a week to 40 mile race in 10 weeks :)

I'd usually do fundraising through justgiving.com ... but did this one through gofundme.com because I was doing it for someone who had other events happening. It's sad but it these days it was easiest to promote it through facecrack.. as it was a very tragic and personal cause it didn't need a very hard sell.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Re: Head, shoulders, knees & toes..

Postby skoptic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:14 pm

OK ... new challenges :)

Plan is to have a baby (1 week and counting) ....
Do more biking (turbo, so I'm in the house)
Start barefoot running (shorter runs to start off, so will be around more)
Restart weight training / general conditioning (might try some P90X)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Konstantin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:13 am

Well done, mind-blowing distance and all that from such a short training period. Cracking stuff dude, feel chuffed.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby baldy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:42 am

Great run dude, but as expected all this jogging has ruined your back and knees.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:42 pm

[quote="baldy"]Great run dude, but as expected all this jogging has ruined your back and knees.

I'll never be able to squat again ;) So next stage

Thurs - 1.5 mile 'barefoot' run
Fri - 2 mile 'barefoot' run / 20 SUps / 10 PUps / 12 BRow / 10 BCurl / 10 BPull / 10 BPress / .. some weights, innit.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs