Timanfaya Dreaming

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby IronGirl » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:00 pm

Thursday 70 min cross country run.

Still snowed in, rural roads are absolutely tretcherous.
XC is hard going (good for your knee lift?). Just took me 70 minutes to do a route that normally takes me an hour. Managed to go AOT once when I hit a mini drift and wasn't paying atention, went sliding through the powdery snow and was covered head to toe. No damage done!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Sunday's trail race has been postponed because of the snow. Car parks around the Forest of Dean are closed and they are worried about getting first aid cover in. Will have to be a long run on our own.
It is a case of ticking over at the moment. I'm not getting any quality sessions in for the running. However it does mean that I'm going into the turbo sessions fresh, so hopefully they are doing some good.
IronGirl

Postby The Duke » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Enjoying your log.

I'm finding your Turbo Trainer routine useful.

My 10k on Sunday has also been cancelled. :(

You planning any swimming?
The Duke

Postby IronGirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:24 pm

[quote="The Duke"]Enjoying your log.

I'm finding your Turbo Trainer routine useful.

My 10k on Sunday has also been cancelled. :(

You planning any swimming?

Hello and Glad you are enoying it. I hope this turbo routine is useful, regular turboing is new to me and I'm looking forward to getting back out on the road to see if it has paid off. I've seen several people do really well from turbo training. My friend Ceris was junior National time trial champ and then went on to do the Sydney Olympics. She swears by the turbo. I've always been a milage monster in the past so it is going to be interesting.

Sorry to hear about your race, most things seem to be cancelled. The Trig point Fell race is on in Shropshire, its been reduced from 15 to 12 miles and they expect it to be around -6 with the wind chill. Sounds a bit mad and would probably be a bit silly to drive up in these conditions!

Swimming , yep gotta start soon. First triathlon is Bleanavon mid-may, so need to get back in the pool and build up some strength. Open water swimming will probably start around Easter. I'll swim open water twice a week once it does. We get 2 x 2 hour slots a week so that should do me for swimming. You could argue for several shorter sessions, but I live in the country a good 1/2 hour to 40 min away from any swimming, so I need to make the most of any journey to a pool or lake. I prefer open water as I swimming. I can be quite sensitive to chlorine and can end up sneezing for a day after pool swimming. (Tried nose pegs and anti-histamines!). I also find it much more fun outside!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Friday 1 hour XC run

Fab run over fields and around Bringsty Common. Still lots of snow, but the Walsh pb's are doing a great job. Feel very stable with these.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:11 pm

Saturday more snow running! and turbo

Hill Reps
12 min warm up
6 x 90 sec hill @ threshold
with 90 sec recovery
10 min cool down
40 min total.

Mr I is going to drive us to town so I'm going to get out for the first time this week. I'm too much of a wimp to drive on this! +Turbo Later.

80 min Turbo Sesion
20 min warm up
5 x 1 min @ 52x12
3 x 2 min @ 52x14
2 x 3 min @ 52x16
2 x 5 min @ 52x18
2 x 3 min @ 52x16
3 x 2 min @ 52x14
5 x 1 min @ 52x12
(all with 1 min easy spin recovery)
10 min cool down
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Sunday 90 min run

Over fields, around Brockhampton Estate and then around Bringsty Common. Mostly very runnable on powdery snow, some compact paths around the common, but not icy.

Seemed to have developed a system that works for these conditions.
Walsh pb's with plastic bags over socks (Even Mr Is waterproof socks were getting wet whilst this was working).
Muscle balm for the quads and hamstrings really kept out the chill today. Have only used it when racing in shorts in the past, but at minus something on the hills it definately helped today.
Lots and lots of layers.

Well entered for the "Not the Roman IX", a 12k road run near Stratford Upon Avon next week, but no sign of things getting any better so we will have to see!
IronGirl

Postby veganlisa » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:26 pm

Sounds like some nice runs in the snow IronGirl. Unfortunately, we don't have any areas around here where the snow is packed enough that I can run on it. It's either the icy roads or snow on the trails/ground that comes up past my knees. :(

Good luck with your race next week...hope it doesn't get canceled.
veganlisa

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:01 pm

[quote="IronGirl"]
... I've always been a milage monster in the past so it is going to be interesting.

heyyy what's wrong with that? :P I feel like I've completely gone old school with this brevet training and it's the most fun I've had on the bike since, errr, I used to train old school. :)

Do you managed to do any shorter intensity sets when you do open water only swimming or do you just do continuous swims?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:36 pm

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"][quote="IronGirl"]
... I've always been a milage monster in the past so it is going to be interesting.

heyyy what's wrong with that? :P I feel like I've completely gone old school with this brevet training and it's the most fun I've had on the bike since, errr, I used to train old school. :)

Nothing wrong with that at all and having fun is the main thing.
However I think it depends on what you are training for and your previous background.

For me I have a background 6 years ago of miles and miles. I did very little else apart from long or longish hilly rides. And to a large extent it worked and I did well on it. My endurance is still pretty good, I got back on the bike last summer and was doing 4-5 hour rides in no time. However my goal is to dramatically improve my bike leg in an ironman. I don't think this will happen unless I can do a good 10 and 25 mile time trial. To do this I think I need a mixed program ???.......starting with the turbo work that I am doing at the moment leading into interval work. Also as soon as this weather breaks get out and do some longish rides as well. Any thaughts?

[quote]Do you managed to do any shorter intensity sets when you do open water only swimming or do you just do continuous swims?

Oh don't be fooled by the location, just because I train outside doesn't stop me swimming proper sets. The distances may not be accurate. But as a rule of thumb a short side of lake = 100m, long side of lake = 200m etc and make up sets on this basis. There are bouys up in the lake which is used for a race and a full lap is 750m so this can be used for a time trial or judging longer continuous swims. I even do drills outside and obviously practice starts and transitions.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Heh, sorry, I was kinda kidding about the mileage thing since it's been all about mileage for me lately. I completely agree you need a good focus on intensity in your program and that there is no need to overdo the mileage. TTing is some of the best training you can do and soooo many Ironman people avoid them completely. I think trying to fit as many in as you can is a great thing. It can be a bit frustrating to do them sometimes as you will often be a bit tired from other training, but it is worth it. Longer intervals at about 40km pace are normally a key workout for me and many others: 2x20 mins with a very short break are one of the best. Same goes for tempo (1/2IM pace and IM pace) sets within your long rides. I think what you're doing makes sense. A bit more variety on the trainer might help avoid some burnout in the next couple of months. Some of the "coach troy" DVDs are excellent. Some strength & muscular endurance sets could be good too at some point. Are you going to do a strength phase?

Looks like you've got a great swimming set up!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:22 pm

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]Heh, sorry, I was kinda kidding about the mileage thing since it's been all about mileage for me lately. I completely agree you need a good focus on intensity in your program and that there is no need to overdo the mileage. TTing is some of the best training you can do and soooo many Ironman people avoid them completely. I think trying to fit as many in as you can is a great thing. It can be a bit frustrating to do them sometimes as you will often be a bit tired from other training, but it is worth it. Longer intervals at about 40km pace are normally a key workout for me and many others: 2x20 mins with a very short break are one of the best. Same goes for tempo (1/2IM pace and IM pace) sets within your long rides. I think what you're doing makes sense. A bit more variety on the trainer might help avoid some burnout in the next couple of months. Some of the "coach troy" DVDs are excellent. Some strength & muscular endurance sets could be good too at some point. Are you going to do a strength phase?

Thanks Mr Cleetus it's very reassuring to know that I'm doing some things right and also you have given me some new things to think about here.

Time Trialing - I'm in a cycling club and they have a regular TT on thursday nights from Easter onwards. I'm planing to do most of those and some others as well. There are some of what they call "sporting" TTs early season over hilly testing courses and I have a few of those pencilled in. Most of these I'll treat as training. I'm also planning a few open 10s and 25s later in the season to try and get pb's.

Longer intervals - Prefer this sort of thing on the road. My commute home from work is perfect for the 2 x 20min session. It allows me a good warm up to get out of town, then onto a good rolling course on quiet lanes for the 2 x 20. Hope to be doing this soon (weather willing).

Turbo training - Er yes getting a bit repetetive. Had a quick look for the coach Troy DVDs and oh so many. Are there any that you would recommend? In particular for strength and muscular endurance as you suggest. I think that would be very useful.

Strength Phase - Do you mean a strength phase in cycling training or an out and out weights program?
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Monday / Tuesday Rest

Today is Mr I's birthday and I have made a Vegan chocolate mousse cake. Was to have been a choc fudge cake, but I partly saved us by doing a choc mousse filling as it is tofu based & therefore good protein source lol!

I feel some good long fat burning sessions coming on!

Open Water Swimming - This is not going to happen any time soon, Although I think it is a very bad idea and will not be trying this myself, you can currently walk right into the centre of the lake - On the Ice!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Wednesday

30 min run
On roads today which was actually like cross country on our snow covered country lanes (no grit in these parts). Grip OK in pb's. Fields are getting very deep in snow now after we had another 8" last night.

Weights session

Squats 3 x 15
Leg Press 3 x 15
Bench Press 3 x 10
Tricep dips 2 x 1
Lat raises 3 x 10
Sit ups 3 x 20

Wimped out a bit. Kept the weight down a bit as it was freezing (no heat in neighbours barn). Upper body noticeably weak!
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Don't put too much weight on what I say! :P

By strength I meant on the bike, ie hills and big gear work. I am a big believer in hills, especially early season, but I've never been a big believer in weights tho the trends do seem to be swinging back toward it again. It's been years since I've given them a proper go and now that I am getting older......

Mental Toughness is a good dvd in the series @ about 1hr20 I think with some strength in it. From what I've heard most of them are pretty good.

Some people are quite successful with things like 2x20s on the trainer - fredrikw for example. I just cannot do it. My watts are always lower and my effort seems sky high, so I am with you - it's gotta be on the road for me. Have you done them before?

Have you worked with a coach before?
Mr. Cleetus

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs