Timanfaya Dreaming

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Timanfaya Dreaming

Postby kallefs » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:55 pm

3 hour turbo :shock: well done!
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby IronGirl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:13 am

[quote="kallefs"]3 hour turbo :shock: well done!

Thanks Kallefs. It's one of my favorite sets for a rainy day. As good as 4 hours on the road they say?

Mind you 3 hours is nothing, I did the Spinervals Hardcore 100 a few times this summer ........ 5 1/2 on the turbo ..... thanks to the dreadful summer that we had in the UK. That was character building.
Last edited by IronGirl on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:24 am

Sunday

30 min warm up on the Downs with the dogs. (Dual purpose - like to keep a lot of my running off road, so a XC warm up suits and it gets the dogs walked!)
then straight out on the road, after a change of shoes.
4 x 1km. A bit tired today so 4:23, 4:25, 4:30 and 4:28 :( can do better!

Easy day (low intensity day) tomorrow, I think. Gonna hit the pool.

Weight coming down. still 10 lb over what I was racing at (my ex-employer has a lot to answer for! still that's all over and I'm getting things back together. I will flipping comfort eat when stressed. )
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Monday

Low intensity day and feeling good at the end of it.

2700m swim with 5 X 400m, 2 of them pulling with paddles.

30 min XC run with the dogs
then straight into
1 hour turbo - keeping it aerobic
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Tuesday

Long work day - but got a hard 45 min session in on the turbo

with main set of 7 X 90 seconds ALL OUT, Threshold +

Very Wobbly legs!

Wednesday

About an hours run with.......

3 X 1/2 mile (3:14, 3:35, 3:12) - more of a slope than I thought looking at that middle split.
3 x 1 km (4:20, 4:25, 4:10) - really pushed it on the last one, maybe I'm holding back too much, only one way to find out.

Much better than Sunday!

2000m Swim with 30 X 50
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:28 pm

I may have found the thing to get me out of my work induced slacktitude:
http://www.suixtri.com/en/

It's been four years now since my last IM. How about joining me? :twisted:
Mr. Cleetus

Postby silver » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:53 pm

That trailer looks awesome.
Maybe in a few years...
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby IronGirl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:26 am

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]I may have found the thing to get me out of my work induced slacktitude:
http://www.suixtri.com/en/

It's been four years now since my last IM. How about joining me? :twisted:

It looks awesome. I miss the descent climbs that you get on the continent, nothing like it in the UK. So very tempted.

However I'm having a go at short stuff next year. The short course world champs are in London so I want to try and qualify. It's a complete change for me. I did sprints and Olympic distances when I first started, but as soon as I could get round them I jumped into Ironman. I've never really done speed-work with any consistency, so I want to have a go and see what I can do. It will also fit better with this new job at the moment, it's taking a lot of preparation for the first year of it.

I'm going to do some Olympic distances and a few half Ironman races (no real difference in the training for these).

So another year of being a "Slacker!".
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:33 am

Saturday

Hard run in the Ednol forest with the dogs. 90 min total.

with 2 X Pyramid (1 min -2 - 3--4 -3 -2 - 1) @ 5k pace, rest period was the same as the interval throughout, much needed as there is 32 minutes at 5k pace here.
just about managed it but ended up sat in a heap at the end. Soon got up when the dogs came over sniffing and licking to see what was the problem.

The dogs loved it, they were still chasing up and down the banks into the trees, as well as running all the reps. Such amazing athletes!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Sunday

1 1/2 hour Bike --> 1/2 hour run

Steady bike around the Suckley Hills area and back via Crews Hill. Collected the dogs and went straight out for a 1/2 hour run on the Downs.
The run was supposed to be steady as well, but Billy had other ideas at the other end of his lead. Actually did my legs a lot of good to pick it up a bit and felt revitalized at the end of the run.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:32 pm

[quote="IronGirl"]
So another year of being a "Slacker!".

hahaaaa, you are doing something wrong if you are slacking in training for an Olympic distance. I see you say you've never really done speed work with any consistency, maybe that's why you think that ;) I think you will find it motivating, but probably not like you are slacking! (I do realise you were joking :) ) It sounds like you are following the same trajectory as me. I had about 12 or 13 years of sprints, olympic and other pre-olympic odd distances, before I ever did an Ironman. Then I had 10 or 12 years focussed on Ironman with shorter stuff only done for training, and never as a focus. Then I had a couple of years on short stuff before it has all fallen apart! hah, you will have to avoid that last part. I suspect Ironman distance will always remain my favourite - it is the long training that I really enjoy; not so much the racing :D

Any idea how quick you will have to be to qualify? Your bike and run should get you reasonably close already, eh? How does qualifying work there? Is it a series? or just one or two races like here? I highly recommend you go for it. I have qualified a few times now (for two countries :P) and it is a fun experience - even if it just seems to be a money making thing for them.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:20 am

Hi Mr C

Thee are 3 races for qualification. There are 25 places per age-group (apparently more than usual as we are the host nation), 17 of them are to be awarded via the qualification races. To qualify you have to be within 115% of the time of the winner of your age-group. Now that doesn't sound too bad, but there are a couple of ex-elite athletes racing my age group. The fastest one of these put in a 2:08 at the British championships last year with 20 min swim , 1:06 bike and 38 run. I can't compete with that but 115% of that comes to 2:27 which is doable.

Now for the bad news. There are 3 races. I'd already decided against the first because I wanted to do a new half Ironman race which is on the same day (The Outlaw half Ironman in Nottingham - very fast course and I'm thinking of the full Outlaw for 2014).

The 2nd race opened last week and instead of getting on with it and entering, I've been dithering. And now it's FULL. Grrr!

The 3rd race hasn't been announced yet. I am going to have to be quick and enter as soon as it opens. I just hope it's not in the back of beyond in Scotland or something.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:24 pm

latest update on British Triathlon site says it's announcing the 3rd race at the beginning of December. Guess I'll just have to check every day and get in quick.

The main reason for doing short course is to spend a year trying to get pb's at 10k run and 25 mile TT. I can still do that even if I don't get into the qualifier race. And the reason for that in the long run, is to improve my Ironman time.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Saturday

A 10k of sorts!

woke up with dodgy stomach which settled over breakfast!
1 and 1/4 hour drive to Stratford
Dodgy stomach back.
Started warm up and after approx 4 loo visits, stomach had settled. So to the start line. Now feeling slightly dizzy!
set off like a lunatic and added a stitch to the now sore stomach. Plodded round and then had a crazy race for the line in the last km. Why?
1 and 1/4 hour drive home! Grrr! :(

Sunday
No after effects from yesterday. Not sure what was going on. Been about 80% raw for 3 weeks. Wondering if the pre-race porridge was contributing factor. Probably not as I woke up with it. Possibly nerves - a bit too determined to go hard! Anyhow nothing systemic to worry about.

So after an easy day it's time to get on with it. Going to be dark by 4.30, so I decided on long turbo.

3 hour Turbo. Spinervals 13.0 Tough Love - my favourite. Felt good, this is right in my comfort zone, 3 hours about 10 beats below threshold.

75 Press ups (sets of 25, 20, 15, 10, 5) Oh yes doing the 100 press up program from youtube. My Upper body strength sucks at the moment!
and while I'm there, might as well........
100 sit ups (5 X 20)

Monday

2200m Swim as
500 warm up - mixed stroke
5 X 300 averaging about 5 min (25 min pace.....Mmm need to get weight down and strength up)
200 cool down
short and sweet

40 min Turbo
recovery session with 5 x 3 min @155bpm, 5 x 2 min @155bpm, 3 X 30 seconds building....all out in last 10 sec......yeah blew away a few cobwebs!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Wednesday

Was going to go to Wales today and run on the hills, but when I looked out of the window it was absolutely pouring down and there was a river of water running behind the house. Went back to bed for an hour! Good call there's been lots of flooding in the area, with some roads becoming in-passable.

Still managed to get a couple of good sessions in.

4000m Swim
400 warm up on mixed stroke
8 X 400m
4 X 50 with 25 steady, 25 hard
200 warm down

70 min run
40 min XC with the dogs (got them soooooo wet and muddy, they were very happy about it!)
Quick change of shoes, then a road run with 4 X 1km (broken into 4, basically 4 X 1 min with 20 sec rest and 2 min rest on a km).

Then 100 sit ups and 4 X 20 press ups. Starting to feel the benefit of the press ups in the pool. Really helps in keeping the elbows high and holding the technique together.
IronGirl

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs