Timanfaya Dreaming

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Timanfaya Dreaming

Postby veganlisa » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:06 am

Congrats on your new job IronGirl. How's your training going? You're doing the half, right? Still way, way more than anything I could ever do. I'm sure you'll rock it. Good luck! :)
veganlisa

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:24 am

oh no! What have you decided to do? I hope you are going for it. :)

Sorry to hear about the job.... I hope the new one is going well!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:35 am

Hi VeganLisa & Mr Cleetus - thanks for the encouragement, really appreciate it.

I'm going to do the half Ironman. Things have just gone from bad to worse here. I'd just got my new job sorted out (which starts in September) when Mr I also got made redundant.(Big shock!) So I'm not sure which way is up at the moment. It's early days but it might mean that we have to move house as there are not many job options for him in sensible commuting distance of rural Herefordshire. Needless to say not much training has been done.

I did manage a couple of solid sessions tue/wed (with the half in mind):

Bike - 3 hour Turbo - Spinervals Tough Love, cranking up the gears on the shorter reps to make this an even harder session.

Run - 1 hour 32 min - equaled my PB on my Bringsty, Brockhampton cross country route. Very inspired having just watched the Brownlee brothers at the Olympics!

Pushed both sessions to see where I am fitness wise and both went well so I'll be OK for the Half.

Not much time left for training. Going to do 10 days speed work then back off. No big taper - no need as I've not been doing big volumes. The race on the 25th Aug.
The race HQ has moved but I think it's still more or less a half Ironman 1900m swim, 100k bike (10k over distance) and 21k run.
Race plan is to go out like it's an Olympic distance and smash it. Lots of pent up energy going on here! Finding that I can channel it in a positive way.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Thursday

Spinervals 4.0 50 mins with lots of threshold intervals and a few sprints

Friday

20 min run with dogs and Mr I
50 min run with 28 min tempo in the middle - just 25 seconds off my pb for the Brockhampton green loop

getting going again. Feels good to be doing some harder sessions as well.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:39 pm

Mmmm severe lack of posting here. Crazy couple of weeks.

Long story short, feeling much better, we are both back in work and things are getting back to normal here. Surprising how much mental energy this triathlon thing takes and when it ain't there,it ain't happening.Glad I backed off.

However buzzing now - Little Woody tomorrow, so exciting, almost excited enough to try and wing the full thing (no not really!). I havn't raced for 2 months, hope I can remember how!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Saturday The Little Woody Half Ironman Distance Triathlon

Had a great race. Toughest half I've ever done. Soooo hilly!

9th Lady (2nd Lady vet) but it was a very small field, I think most people had favored the flat Cotswolds Half IM that was on the same day. (bunch of girls!)

Mmm 6 hours 38 min, which the organisers said was good on this course (I dunno?)

SWIM

After getting a minibus from HQ to the swim (Split transition today), I checked my bike which had been racked the night before. Everything OK but why the heck were we stood out here in the pouring rain at 6.30 with 1 hour to go? At least I managed to watch the start of the full IM (with mixed feelings!)

The water at the National diving centre was gorgeous. One of the clearest open water swims ever and around 17 degrees which is perfect in a wet suit. Paddled my way through the swim, totally had to wing it - just done no training!
There was about a 500m run up a hill to get to T1, I knew about this in advance so was prepared for it.

T1

Still pouring with rain, glad in one way that we were using the "Ironman" style transition kit in a bag method, at least it kept things dry. But a bit of a faff.

BIKE

As expected very hilly, with relentless hills. The biggy was English Bicknor, which I've since found out has the nickname English Bitch-nor. It lived up to it's nick name. Wore a HRM on the bike which helped me to keep pushing. I'm mainly going the right pace on feel these days, but at the start I was 5 beats over where I should have sensibly have been, so it was good to know. Then after a couple of hours it told me I needed to pick up a couple of times. Of course this could always be improved upon by getting a power tap, but I'm not winning that argument with Mr I !!!!
Good hills and great descents - Woo Hoo!! A few dodgy back roads,some flooding and mud/clay running across the roads on some descents - played it very safe I'm afraid. In answer to an earlier question, yes it is possible to train for these things on the turbo. Well it's carried me through this year. Had fun and the weather cleared up after a couple of hours.

T2

or should I say picnic! Well that's what I made of it lol!

RUN

Target was 1:45 until I saw the course. I've done a lot of running in the forest including a half marathon a couple of times and thought I knew what to expect. Ha Ha! 800m out of HQ round the corner then straight up a hill, aid station at the top then straight back down. Repeat 3 times. So I was happy with 1:52

Have already done a couple of recovery sessions, feel good, maybe undercooked it? But after the last couple of months it feels great to be back doing things. And wait for it........

STOP PRESS!!!!!!

I was 1 minute inside qualification time for The ITU World Long Course Championships in Belfort, France 2013.

British Triathlon seem to have a complicated process, their website isn't allowing you to declare an interest in advance (which is apparantly needed) so we shall have to see. But a bit exciting. Belfort looks like a tough but beautiful course and I like the idea of Long Course (4k/120k/30k).
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Well done IG! You must be very pleased with that, especially considering your last few months!

Are you tempted to go to long course worlds? You should! :)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks Mr C.

Yes really pleased. I felt like I could focus again and it was good to be out there racing. Made me really appreciate it.

World LC - Would really like to go. I know I could never be competitive, but to race for GB would be incredible.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:54 pm

Sunday
40 min easy run with the dogs

Monday
40 min easy spin on the bike

Tuesday
2 hour easy run in Radnor Forest with the dogs 1 hour 15 up, 45 min down

Wed/Thur
R&R

Friday
3 hour 45 min run on the Brecon Beacons with BillyBobs
Talybont Reservoir, through the Forest, Then the Corn Du, Pen y Fan, Cribyn Horseshoe, back along the Roman road.
Lots of climbing,lots of fun.
Running on homemade raw energy bars - yummy!

Have been looking for another race now things have settled down. Just feel like I want to race now!
Got the Rutland Water Marathon (Trail marathon) penciled in for 4th November. Todays run tested the water for this one and the endurance is there. Some tempo runs and intervals needed.
a couple of duathlons (love-hate-love-hate!!) coming up
and a couple of trail half marathons
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:02 pm

last week

Ooops still not keeping up with this blog
1 x Hard turbo session - Spinervals 4.0 Muscle Breakdown
1 x Hard run 8 x 4 min
a couple of recovery runs

Sunday

3.5 hour cross country run
as 2 x 1:45 hour loops of Bringsty, Brockhampton, Bromyard Downs
Billy did the first loop, Poppa did the second loop

My endurance seems to be OK so I guess I need to work on speed endurance

Oh yeah entered the Rutland Water Marathon 4th Nov and Forest of Dean Autumn Half marathon
Both trail runs.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:35 pm

Forest of Dean Half Marathon tomorrow.

Seem to have some residual endurance fitness from the training earlier in the year.

Did a 3 X 20 min tempo run last week, which was JUST bearable so basically tomorrow is going to hurt.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Oops hello training log, time we made friends again!

New job is very busy - setting up 2 new courses, 1 from scratch and 1 that has already been running, but so badly it's like sorting it from scratch. Going to take a lot of effort this year, so Ironman as well would be a big ask. Planning to get it all ticking over for 2014 then I should have lots of free time.

Have entered the Outlaw Half Ironman on 2nd June 2013 and I'm planning a speed year. The outlaw is a definate pb course. Also going to do the Cotswold 113 event(s) again in June and August as they are also fast courses. + Nationals at the Cowman in July and a return to the Full Boar at the start of September. Mmm sounds like a good season.

Just feel like doing something quick for a change and a year of half will fit in with the new job at the moment.
Last edited by IronGirl on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 pm

been playing at it the last few weeks. Have been mainly running and have introduced some speed sets.

Have Stroud half marathon on Sunday and Rutland Water marathon in 2 weeks.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Wednesday

5 x 1km (4;10, 4:25, 4,25, 4:28, 4:29) with a very dodgy stomach. You know the type where you need to be close to facilities or a hedge! Thought it would settle down as I went on........what am I like?

So Thursday/ Friday Rest

Saturday

1 hour 30 min steady around the Radnor forest. A beautiful autumn days running with Mr I and the dogs.

Got the blood flowing.

Stroud Half marathon tomorrow, on road.....help!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 am

So just used half term week to start getting a training routine back together. Not really there yet, it's a bit run centric still, but adding in another bike and the rest of the swimming next week.

Monday
2 hour run up in the Welsh hills. Took the dogs out to Radnor.

Tuesday
15 min warm up
Fast loop of the Downs XC - pb time of 23 min 27 sec (from 26:10), so very pleased
10 min cool down

wednesday
3 hour Turbo Set
Spinervals "Tough Love"
Pouring down outside, this set hits all the right buttons. Done hard it's the equivalent of a half Iron ride.
It worked wonders for me this year.

Thursday
30 min run on the Downs with the dogs as a warm up
Then on to the road for some speedwork.
4 x (4 X 250m with 30 sec rest) and 3 min rest per km.... HARD, aiming at 4 min total running per Km
Managed 4 min, 3:55, 4 min, 3:50
Ok that's not fast but this is Mrs Iron "plod" Girl here & I'm trying to do something about it

Friday
2000m swim ....have to start somewhere lol!
800m warm up
10 X 100
200m cool down
Quite pitiful. 8 weeks out of the water.Have not swam since the Little Woody half.
Basically hate swimming indoors, it's so boring! Roll on Easter and getting back out to the lake.
But OMG lots of work to do. 6 weeks normally turns it around.

Spinervals 4.0 Muscle Breakdown
Simulated time trial and Accelerations

Saturday
1hour Hilly run with the dogs
Ednol Forest in Mid-Wales
SNOWING on the top, quite beautiful!
IronGirl

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs