Timanfaya Dreaming

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Timanfaya Dreaming

Postby IronGirl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:15 am

Tuesday

2500m Swim
with 15 X 100 on 1:40

40 min Run with 10 X (30 sec hard, 30 sec steady)

Wednesday

2 1/2 Hour Bike
Welsh Shropshire Borders with Mr I
Some good hills including a corker called Black Rhadley Hill (Steeper than Ankerdine and about 4 times as long!) Totally maxed out!

Thursday

Rest / TT cancelled!

Friday

2 Hour Run

3500m Swim
IronGirl

Postby skoptic » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:15 am

good training there :) Making me feel well off the pace!

The black mountains look gorgeous in your photo ... sound like a great (hard!) race.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby IronGirl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Saturday Brick Session

56 mile bike straight into a 40 min run
Eastnor Middle Distance Triathlon Bike course (aka 4 laps of the VC Sevale TT course)
Run from Holly Bush towards British Camp and back

A good confidence boost - both bike and run were far harder courses than the Full Boar half IM.

4th time up the Marl Bank was a bit of a killer, but my legs came back and I had a good run.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:46 pm

[quote="skoptic"]good training there :) Making me feel well off the pace!

The black mountains look gorgeous in your photo ... sound like a great (hard!) race.

Thanks Skoptic.

I'm finding that the fell running is helping the running off the bike. I always said the running in long tri's was about strength and not speed. I mean the strength to hold it together.
So I'm going to be doing lots more this winter in preparation for an <ahem!> Ironman next year.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Sunday 2 1/2 Mountain Bike

Radnor Forest up to Black Mixen. Out with Mr I and the dogs.

Our usual run route.................spot on the same time on the mountain bike.

Pleasantly surprised that there was enough left in the legs after yesterday. Still I have twigly gears and I'm not afraid to use them! Actually kept it in the middle ring and kept a steady pace going all the way up. That's 1 X 1.5 Hour climb lol!

Oh yeah we came down real slow so as not to push the dogs too hard. Mr I was on his cross bike getting some practice in before the cross season starts. He was on and off running some descents, bike over his shoulder.......mad b**##r!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Just won a new Road bike on Ebay. She's a Cannondale R800si Road Bike CAAD5 Feminine Woman. Got an absolute bargain, she's only been ridden once (can you believe) and I got her for a fraction of the price of anything new with the same spec. She's also 650c geometry (like hen's teeth in the UK) like my Time Trial bike which is what I wanted as we already have various 650c race wheels and the 650 geometry works for me.....I'm only 5' 2".

So no excuses now, all set up for Sportives and Hilly IM courses. So excited. Heart rate coming down now...........been watching for 10 day and I just put 1 bid on in the last 20 seconds. Highest my HR has been all weekend. lol!
IronGirl

Postby soniczip » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:10 pm

how many bikes do you have?
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby IronGirl » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:55 pm

[quote="soniczip"]how many bikes do you have?

Only 4!
My winter road bike - for commuting / winter miles / training
Mountain Bike - for Off Road rides / Cyclocross
Time Trial bike - Time trials / short Tri's - done up to Ironman on it before, but find the position too severe over long distance or at least I don't run well off it hence....
New Road bike - far better spec than my winter bike / To be used for long HillyTri's and will come out for sportives.

Would have been 5 but I have just sold a basic mountain bike on Ebay. Was my commute bike from when we lived close to work, cheap and cheerful so I didn't mind leaving it the bike racks outside college. We have since moved and I find the 30 mile round trip easier on the winter road bike - which goes into College with me for safe keeping (sometimes even park it at the back of my class. lol!)

You can never have enough bikes!
IronGirl

Postby soniczip » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:54 pm

[quote="IronGirl"][quote="soniczip"]how many bikes do you have?

Only 4!
My winter road bike - for commuting / winter miles / training
Mountain Bike - for Off Road rides / Cyclocross
Time Trial bike - Time trials / short Tri's - done up to Ironman on it before, but find the position too severe over long distance or at least I don't run well off it hence....
New Road bike - far better spec than my winter bike / To be used for long HillyTri's and will come out for sportives.

Would have been 5 but I have just sold a basic mountain bike on Ebay. Was my commute bike from when we lived close to work, cheap and cheerful so I didn't mind leaving it the bike racks outside college. We have since moved and I find the 30 mile round trip easier on the winter road bike - which goes into College with me for safe keeping (sometimes even park it at the back of my class. lol!)

You can never have enough bikes!

true, true ... now you need a fancy one. one which screams: hey look at who the boss is guys! :mrgreen: jokes apart, the problem with bikes is you always find yourself willing to update :?
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby IronGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Recovery Week

Monday

Rest

Tuesday

1500m swim
500 warm up
8 X 100 0n 1:34 to 1:35 (guess upper body is already pretty rested as I missed a swim at weekend)
200 cool down

a couple of rest days and a few short sessions this week. One last big brick at weekend (3 weeks out), then into a taper.
Fingers crossed for not mucking it up now. Last 2 big events went hamstring problem and then Flu. Just gotta stay healthy and not do anything stupid.
IronGirl

Postby downhillingdemon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Hope the taper goes well!

I concur about the 'can never have too many bikes' comment!
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby IronGirl » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks DHD.

Wednesday 35 min run
Around Brobkhampton.
With 10 x 30 sec strides.

Thursday 10 mile Time Trial
Severn Stoke 10 course.
Legs felt fine, system needs some more rest.
2.5 min down on my pb for this course. Think I just got into too comfortable a rhythm to be honest. Very out of TT practice.

Friday Rest

Rest Been to collect my new bike from London.
Managed to Navigate back from Docklands along the Regent Canal back to Paddington to catch our train.
Mr I ran and I rode the bike. Handing is very positive, fits well. Excited about taking her out for a proper ride.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:58 am

Hey finally got a Photobucket account sorted. Here she is.................

I just need to swap the brakes around. They are the American way round at the moment, back brake on the right. It would just be a matter of time before I went autopilot and forgot, then I'd be over the top. Anyone actually ride with brakes that way round?
And swapping the SPDs for LOOKS for the road. I feel much more secure on the hills with LOOKS, I feel that I can pull without risk of my foot coming out. (SPDs for Cross though).
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:26 pm

woooo lookit that colour!!! No excuses now. :)

[quote="IronGirl"]They are the American way round at the moment, back brake on the right. It would just be a matter of time before I went autopilot and forgot, then I'd be over the top. Anyone actually ride with brakes that way round?

hmm, I believe everybody outside of UK/NZ/Aus rides that way. ;) I've refused to ever adapt to the funny backwards break thing here!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:43 am

It's very pink. 8)
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs