Timanfaya Dreaming

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Timanfaya Dreaming

Postby IronGirl » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Sunday Rest

Monday R&R

2000m swim
500 warm up (300 IM, 200 drills)
1 x 400
2 x 200
4 x 100
300 cool down

Heavy legs today - had to force myself to do a recovery session on the turbo
& and yeah it worked, as good as a massage if not better!

30 min recovery session on turbo
with 1 leg drills and super spins
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:49 am

recovery week .................. racing tomorrow at Hereford Sprint Triathlon.
It's a 400 YARD pool swim. I entered about a month ago and my estimated swim time of 7:30 is about a minute too slow now. (remember my left arm didn't work at all a month ago). My time trial from wednesday equates to 7 min per 400m and the race pool is 25 yards, so looking more like 6:30. Going to have to do some overtaking.
Slow swimmers are going off first and I'm 3/4 way down the start order :o Just need to hold it together on the bike and run.
It's going to be a blast, it's really short even for a sprint, just 10 miles on the bike and a 5km run. Eye balls out all the way!!!! :twisted:

Tuesday Rest

Wednesday
1500m time trial 27 min (4 mins off pb) definately backing off especially in the middle 500m. Can do better!

30 min recovery run. loop around Brockhampton Estate. Lacking Omph!

Thursday Rest

Friday
1700m swim as
500 warm up
20 X 50m on 45 sec
200 cool down

45 min Bike
loop around the block - which actually is a very hilly loop and ends up with a climb up to Acton
Supposed to be an easy spin really to see how the legs were - and it was an easy spin until I noticed another cyclist ahead on the Acton Green climb- Mmmm feeling much perkier today, should be OK for Sunday.
IronGirl

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:18 pm

[quote]...it was an easy spin until I noticed another cyclist ahead on the Acton Green climb...

Ah, yes, two cyclists = bicycle race. :wink:
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:16 pm

good luck for tomorrow!
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby IronGirl » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:02 pm

BGW - Yeah always happens - you just have to chase them down. Had it happen the other way too, a couple of weeks ago some guy comes steaming past me and then sat about 50 yards in front for miles and miles and miles, same distance in front and I hadn't changed pace. At least I pause to say hello. lol!

DHD - Thanks.

Sunday Hereford Sprint Triathlon 400m swim/ 10 mile bike / 5km run

1 hour 5 min, 7th Lady Vet

A good solid race with no problems, a beautiful hot day for it, but mainly lacking some time trial practice.

swim
clocked the swim at 7 min 10 sec (was given 7:47 after getting out and being made to walk the lenth of the pool to the exit). Faster than the time I put down, but slower than expected.
There was a breaststroker in my lane who was difficult to get round. Dull lighting, rough pool bottom made the ends difficult to site, so I wasn't making the most of the turns.
T1
longish run through building, up steps, lots of squeeling across gravel in bare feet and into transition area.
Bike
Bike course was basically a good rolling descent, a couple of flat miles and then gradual climb back to start.
Need to put the TT bike on the turbo rather than the road bike(honestly I do know better - doh!) too much fidgeting, lacking power, lacking TT practice. But hey 5 weeks back on bike so far.
33:21 for T1 + Bike (didn't get the split myself). Either way thats a pretty ropey bike split. lots and lots and lots to come I hope. Biking was my strength! On the plus side there was never much
difference between my 10 mile TT speed and my 1/2 anf full IM bikes. Maybe a lesson to be learned here to change my training & help improve the longer bike splits.
T2
run across the gravel again - this time in cleats - what joy! Managed to stay upright.
My T2 was quick didn't time it, but it was text book!
Run
24 min for T2 + Run. I had a much better run than the last sprint. No issues with the feet this time. Legs heavy and tight left hamstring - lack of TT practice and need to start regular bricks now. Twisty turny undulating 5 km run. Guessing a short 23 for the run - again didn't get the T2 split so unsure of actual run time.

Overall a Fun Brick training session - able to push all the way and has given me a lot to think about in terms of next months training.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Monday Steady swim to unwind
1800m as
300 IM
4 x 50 descending
3 x 400 steady
100 B/S
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Tuesday

1 hour 20 min Bike
with 2 X 20 min at time trial pace
10 min steady down to the bottom of Bringsty, 20 min effort up the climb and down to Bromyard, turn off for Avebury.
20 min steady down to the bottom of the Acton Green climb. 20 min effort up the climb and then towards home.
10 min to come back down to earth!
A good hiily route and honest TT pace on the efforts.
IronGirl

Postby Rach » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:33 pm

well done on the Hereford Sprint Triathlon!
Are you still following Thrive Diet recipes? Which are your favourites? I've tried the blueberry pancakes and the nut burgers and am amazed how much they fill me up for hours.
Rach

Postby IronGirl » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:05 pm

[quote="Rach"]
Are you still following Thrive Diet recipes? Which are your favourites? I've tried the blueberry pancakes and the nut burgers and am amazed how much they fill me up for hours.

Hey Rach how's it going!

I'm still doing the recovery shakes and I love those pancakes every now and then.

Had a spell of absolute raw Vegan around Christmas time and felt great - but slipped back to cooked food. Pity because I did feel really good and had loads of energy. Must get back to it.

Liking Bircher Museli at the moment - with either banana, apple or blueberries.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Thursday 2000m Swim
300 warm up
15 x 100m on 1 min 40 with 20sec rest
200 cool down

friday 90 min run
around Bringsty and Brockhampton

A good destress run - it's been a very trying and upsetting last few days at work. LOTS of people, many who I regard as friends leaving are leaving - redundancies and generally jumping ship.
The place will never be the same again! But I'm on holiday now - for the summer - for 6 weeks :D :D

Saturday 80 min run (sort of)
Set out for a run in Radnor Forest only to find ourselves in the middle of a motorcycle Enduro event. Not good with our 2 dogs running loose.
So we headed bcak to the car (30 min) and headed down the road to Hergest Ridge where we did another 50 min run.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Sunday Tour of The Black Mountains Sportive 100km with 6426ft of climbing

Awesome ride over some of the most spectacular parts of mid-Wales.
The first section took us from Abergavenny over the Gospel pass to HayBluff with a Crazy descent to Hay on Wye -
I found this video of it from last years event. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVo6qz0R-bE (omg at 6 min 20 - yikes, was difficult to get round people on this section - this guy was braver than me!)

Then followed a faster but still very undulating section up the lanes towards Brecon. I Just managed to wizz down a sweeping descent and get to the feed station before we were caught and VERY quickly overtaken by an elite road race. (I'm trying to find out what the race was - some Team Sky boys in there so must have been an important event)
The breakaway caught me on the descent, but I would not have wanted to be caught up in that peleton on a descent. (chicken - yes I am!)

The other big climb of the day was Mynydd llangynidr which was totally awesome - never ridden this one before - loved it!
:twisted: The road race had had a mountain top finish there and we still had 3km to go, 2km to go and 1 km to go signs out, My legs were stinging just getting up there - it must have been agony to race up!

Following another great descent and then a few more lumps and bumps, it looked like we were headed back to Abergavenny. But no we were sent past the Abergavenny turn off and up towards Blaenavon (home of one of the best triathlons in the UK) Yes more UP!!!! Grrr! The final descent to Abergavenny was very steep and had some really sharp bends. I was tired and not at my best to deal with these. Not sure how I got around some of them. I lived to tell the tale and got a lovely finishers medal with a Welsh dragon on. One of the nicest medals I've ever had from any sort of event.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Monday

1800m swim
as 300 warm up
30 x 50 on 45 sec off 60 sec
misread the pool timetable and got chucked out of the pool at this point as the schools were coming in.

45 min Run
out with Poppa dog on the Malverns
North Hill to Worcestershire Beacon and back. Now have a very happy dog!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Tuesday 45 min run
Worcestershire Way with Billy dog.

Wednesday 4 1/2 hour Bike
Herefordshire to Oxford
Very flat after the ride at weekend. Just Fish Hill and one other little climb towards Chipping Norton.
Met Mr I for dinner and got a lift home.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Friday

2000m swim as
300 warm up
15 x 100 on 1:40 off 2:00
200 cool down

Saturday

30 min Open water swim at Gullets Quarry
Lovely clean water, but hey our little secret quarry has made it into a Wild Swimming book.
Everyone knows about it, including a group of lads that had come up all the way from London (They are working their way through the book).

40 min steady run

Sunday

1 hour Run
Eastnor to British Camp via the Obilisk
with 5 X 5min intervals

Monday

Steady 1 hour run

Tuesday

Brick Session - 3 hour 45 min Total

2 hour Bike - Home to Mid - Wales (Bledfa)

met up with Mr I and the dogs and went straight into a 1 hour 45 min Fell Run
Running well off the bike, felt good
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Wednesday Open Water swim at Gullets quarry. Approx 2400m
Such an amazing place to swim, the water is beautiful, its fed from a spring on the Malvern Hills. It's surprisingly full (of water) for this time of year and it's warm!

Also did a 15 min recovery run with Mr Bobs (is that really worth mentioning?) was to have been 30 min but Mr I turned up early having biked over from home.

I'VE JUST ENTERED THE FULL BOAR HALF IRONMAN :D

I was really happy with tuesday's Brick session, there is work to be done on the bike, but I felt good doing a long run off the bike ( and to my mind a 1:45 fell run trumps a half marathon, so it's given me confidence. ) Was considering doing the Little Woody 1/2 IM as well (for training) , but I realise now that I have to attack my weakness i.e. bike speed, so I'm working towards a series of time trials. I'm starting tonight with a club '10'. A few of those then I have 3 open 25's lined up for August. That I think will be far more constructive than doing another 1/2 IM for training.
IronGirl

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs