Timanfaya Dreaming

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Timanfaya Dreaming

Postby IronGirl » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:45 am

very lazy week!

Tuesday Rest

Wednesday 45 min run with 6 X 5 min at 5k pace with 1 min rest
Pushing these wednesday sessions hard and making them count. Been doing them around a measured loop, but there was a footpath closed for resurfacing today so didn't get accurate times. But was on hands and knees and getting the "Is she dying looks" from passers by, so guess I was going hard enough!!

Thursday Rest

Friday 2 hour 12 min run
Hilly Tedstone Delamere road loop. Steady for first 90 min then picked up to around marathon pace.
18 min faster than 2 weeks ago, but didn't have icey descents to contend with.
For some reason it just felt cold today. No colder than it's been all winter but just felt it. Maybe more focused because I was on road and more aware of pace?
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Sunday 75 min run in the hills in Radnor.

Took Poppa and Billy out to Wales for the afternoon. Now have 2 very happy dogs, the loved it.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:18 pm

Is Billy a new pup?

What do you do for a lead when you run with them? Or do you run in places where you don't need one? I quite often need one for part of a run, but then don't really want to have to carry something on the really technical bits where he can be off lead.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:10 am

No Billy is 4 in a couple of months. He dosn't get out running as much as Poppa because he really needs to be off lead as he pulls and he doesn't like other dogs so he needs to be well off the beaten track. So mostly he gets taken for walks on the lead and gets to run around the fields at home. I usually just take out Poppa, as she is so easy. Managed to get Mr I running again this weekend and Billy will get out running every weekend if that continues.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:16 pm

OK mini-break from posting, last week was an official rest week.
Just did one short session on Wednesday 40 min with 3X5 min (half an interval session).
Got a sports massage on friday, no real problems apart from the left hamstring getting a bit tight.
It did however leave my legs feeling rather heavy for Sundays race.

Sunday Stourbridge Stagger, 10 mile-ish multi-terrain race

It's probably more like 10.5 miles, but I don't think anyone really knows. Mesurements from different GPS devices seem to vary. Did this last year in 1:30:35, I'm going much better this year, but I think I spent more time queueing for styles and road crossings and ended up doing 1:31.

This is one of my favourite races it's truely multi-terrain with hills, usually lots of mud but because of the recent stong winds it was pretty dry apart from "Slop Gully" which was ankle deep!, sand with a mile-ish long stretch along "Dinosaur Beach", a bit of road to connect up all the bits, ploughed field, rough trails and did I mention the hills. Then there are countless styles, single track and road crossings, often with queues, thereby offering a chance to get your breath or just make your blood boil depending on how you are going.

We all got a towel embroidered with Stourbridge RC and I managed to come 3rd in my age group.

Did a 20 min warm up and wandered back up the course for 30 min at the end. So I did 2 hours 20 in total, useful with Stratford Marathon getting closer....approx 3 months.

Rest today, then I start a big month of training. Current thinking is that the distance is not a problem and I really need to work on speed and also holding a decent pace for long runs (gone are the days of the Ironman shuffle). It's going to be very embarassing if I can't beat my 4 hour Ironman marathon time, especially having walk-jogged the darn thing.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:34 pm

Well done. Sounds like a very fun race!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:37 pm

Errrr yes not much posting going on here. Actually blew myself up a bit with the race and not got that much done for the last 2 weeks!!

Still back up to speed now!

saturday 3 hour run

Malverns North Hill to Eastnor and back. Started to feel good after 1/2 hour.
Lots and lots and lots of mud between Cutters Cave and the track leading to the Obelisk Turn, but at the gate in Eastnor in 1 hour 24min.
Was on for sub 3, but didn't realise how fast it was getting dark and eneded up doing the final leg over the Beacon in the dark (moonlight thankfully, as I didn't have a head torch). It did slow me down, especially on the descent.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:33 pm

ahaaaa.... I had been thinking a post to drag you out again was looking necessary. Glad you're back at it!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Monday 1 hour XC run Over fields and around Brockhampton

Wednesday 1 hour run around the Shobdon Hill Race loop......fartleck.....Ouch!

saturday 30 min XC VERY VERY Muddy.

Sunday 3 hour run in the Cambrian Mountains......beautiful!! Family outing with Mr I and the dogs, Poppa and Billy.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Tue May 10, 2011 11:43 pm

Ooops just a little break from posting then!

What can I say, well I have the employer from HELL!!

Restructuring to improve quality.......what a load of b**##ks

Having waited 8 weeks to find out what is going to happen to my own job, they finally tell us last week that all the jobs at my level are being made redundant and that we can have a standard lecturing post in September. Along with a massive pay cut! It's all being getting to me, I've been very stressed and unable to train at times.

I knew it was coming so I've been applying for jobs, but no luck as yet.

To top it all off about a week before Easter I got Flu, the nice knock you out, ache all over, fever and stay in bed type of Flu. So all the hard work for stratford Marathon was ruined. Took ages to get right. Just been pottering for about 2 weeks.

Anyhow enough doom and gloom. I'm renaming the log. It needs to be more positive. Time to get on with it and stop dreaming. Hows about calling it Belfort 2013 cos that's the plan. hehe! It means a half next year to qualify........Bala?

Oh yeah my left shoulder is still knackered. Had a big knot / knots either in rhomboids or thereabouts? Had loads of massage and chiro has checked the alignment. Decided that getting it mobilised and using its full range of motion is the way forward. Been down the gym and used very very small weights and in some cases just a bar and moved the shoulder through it's full range. Was definately helping. 2 weeks a go I could not get the left arm above my head - can now strech high - in diving position! Also swam yesterday, it will go through a full freestyle stroke (just), hurts at the start of the recovery. Really just plodding through a warm up and not putting any pressure on. Did some backstroke to stretch it backwards more - that hurts. Any ideas, anyone had any similar problems.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri May 13, 2011 10:32 am

It's all in yer head. Sure is!

I just went out for a 2 hour run. I picked a rolling off road route that I have a 1 hour 54 min pb on.
Steady pace but with very positive frame of mind...........came home in 1 hour 42 and feel like I've done nothing.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri May 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Heyyyyyyyyyy welcome back! I thought we'd lost you for good this time.

I'm sorry to hear about your job issues. I don't really understand the UK system. What is the actual difference in the jobs (besides the obvious pay cut)? I guess you're looking to get out though and plan to stay in academics?

Sorry, I'm no help on the shoulder problems. I've had some swimming related ones in the past and it's always come down to tightness in the pecs, and once that loosens up all is free.

Sounds like you must be pretty fit!!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Sat May 14, 2011 11:29 am

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]Heyyyyyyyyyy welcome back! I thought we'd lost you for good this time.

I'm sorry to hear about your job issues. I don't really understand the UK system. What is the actual difference in the jobs (besides the obvious pay cut)? I guess you're looking to get out though and plan to stay in academics?

Sorry, I'm no help on the shoulder problems. I've had some swimming related ones in the past and it's always come down to tightness in the pecs, and once that loosens up all is free.

Sounds like you must be pretty fit!!

I'm currently Head of Biology which means I've got course management responsibilities. Those responsibilities are being given to what they are calling a curriculum and quality manager in the new structure. The thing is this CQM is going to manage biology, chemistry, physics, maths and psychology, as well as doing 3/4 of a full teaching load. This is being sold to us as a measure to improve quality. lol! They are offering me an ordinary lecturer job, which means I'd just have to plan my own lessons, teach and mark.

If I did stay, I'd have a very stress free day to day (if I could ignore all the politics!) and that would be good for training, but certain career death.
Moving is proving very difficult, the UK is in the middle of a big recession and education is badly affected.

I swam last night. Only about 1000m. I basically just went through a warm up, mixing freestyle, breaststrokre and backstroke. The mix seems to be doing a good job of mobilising the shoulder. Planning to keep this up 3 times a week.

I'm run fit but the swim and bike need lots of work.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat May 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Saturday 1 hour run

Shobdon Hill race loop as 15 min warm up, 8 X 3 min hard with 1 min recovery and then steady to the finish.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun May 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Sunday 3 1/2 hour Bike

Hilly route over to Eastnor and around the Sevale hilly time trial route.

Bit of a test because I havn't had the bike out this year!!!!!!!! Got a much better cross training effect than I'd expected, must be the hill runs? :o

It went well so here's the plan:

:D Full Boar Middle distance Triathlon 18th September. Well it's about time isn't it!! :D
IronGirl

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs