Timanfaya Dreaming

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:27 pm

[quote="IronGirl"]before the Walsh Pb's have to come out.

Do you do much fell racing? Is this the time of year for that?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:26 pm

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"][quote="IronGirl"]before the Walsh Pb's have to come out.

Do you do much fell racing? Is this the time of year for that?

I've only ever done 2 official fell races, but I'm doing my 3rd on 13th December, which is The Mortimer Forest Hill Run 10. I don't get much practice at fell running as most of it takes place in the Lake District, Peak District or North Wales which is a long trip for me.

I generally have the strength to stay with fell running on the ascents, but it's the descents where they start to take shape. You just need to disengage your brain and go. I have too much self preservation. The quick guys will literally sprint down over rocks, bracken, loose scree or whatever else gets in their way.

However I do a lot of what we call "Multi-terrain" races, which are run over trails, single track, fields, and have lots mud, hills and obstacles. The season for these is coming up. Memorable ones include The Sodbury Slog, The Mayhill Massacre and The Stourbridge Stagger. They are brilliant fun, can't wait.

What sort of hill / Cross country / mountain running do you have?

I've just read a book about Fell running which I can thoroughly recommend. Its called Feet in the Clouds: A Story of Fell Running and Obsession by Richard Askwith. Its very inspiring and makes ironman training look sane! It's available on amazon.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:25 am

Thanks for the book tip, I'll have a look.

Some of the downhillers are insane. I usually think I am pretty good until I get in some of the bigger races! At some point I think there is only so much that is skill and the rest is just fearlessness. One small thing could bring pretty horrible disaster the way some go down. Fearlessness has never been a strong point if mine. :)

We have a regular harriers/cross-country season during the winter here, but I havent done it in a few years. We have some fantastic mountain running races which I really enjoy though. The Mountain Running World Champs were in downtown Wellington a few years ago and we have no shortage of nasty and steep technical climbing. There is a whole range of things from sub 1hr kinda races to 7hr things locally and if you travel further in the country there is some pretty amazing stuff. As you might be able to tell, I find these some of the most enjoyable races I do. :)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Mr Cleetus: There is something very satisfying about running in the hills.

Monday 55 minute run

Brockhampton loop, with 8 x 90sec hill reps in the middle
A bit tired after first day back at work after half term. Felt much better after it though, glad I dragged myself out.

This is my hill, you can just see the road at the bottom. It's the only section of road in this loop, the rest of it is cross country. It starts off gently and gets steeper as you go up.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:42 pm

Tuesday Rest Day

Had a meeting in Birmingham today, took 2 hours to get there and 2 hours back. :(
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:00 pm

That looks like a great spot for running!

I hate it when work gets in the way of training. :P
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Wednesday 45 min cross country run

Fartlek over fields, around Bringsty Common and back over fields.
Mr Ironman was out for the first time after his cold, so we had fun pushing each other all the way round. A much better day today. :)
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:53 pm

thursday 1 hour session in Gym

Finally got into the gym to start a winter programme of weights.
Did a very mixed circuit including squats, leg press, lat pull downs, bench press, military press, biceps and abs. Low weights 3 sets of 10. It's going to take a few weeks to adapt to this, before starting anything more serious. The legs are not so bad, but the upper body is seriously weak.

Realised from this that I need to get this going and keep it going over winter and probably on into next year. I think it's going to make a difference to my power to weight ratio and also strenthening fixators has got to be a good thing.

The gym I use is great. My neighbours are farmers and the gym is in one of their barns. Their son is into body building and the gym has lots of free weights, no pot plants, only a couple of rather cracked mirrors and very loud music. What I call a proper gym!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:26 pm

Friday 90min Run

Steady pace around Bringsty and Brockhampton & back over fields.
Rain for the 1st half and then it got dark faster than expected, so back over fields in the dark. No head torch.... Ooops! But still a good way to start the weekend.

Mmm if this rain carries on we'll need water wings for the cyclocross on Sunday!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:33 pm

Saturday 2 hour hilly bike

Little Mountain Time Trial Route.
A bit of a head wind on the way home, but actual time still 1:59
compared with last weeks 1:58
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:13 pm

Sunday 90 minute run

Missed cross as Mr I was still getting over his cold and I couldn't be bothered to drive to Wolverhampton on my own.

Set out to do a shortish temo run and did 10 min warm up, 20 min hard and 10 min cool down. At this point Mr I (who had trotting along behind with the dog) declared that he was better and was going to do another hour. So being me I just joined in. Result 90 minutes in total.

Weekly Evaluationl for Base 1 Week 2

Yes it's very early to be starting a program at the start of November, but my first important race is the first week in March. So just enough time to squeeze in 2 base periods and 2 speed periods before then.
Some of the duathlon guys are talking about a double periodisation for next year. 1 leading up to the qualifiers in the spring and other before Edinburgh. That would work well for me, as I would be doing the Half Ironman off the 2nd lot of base and May/June is a nice time in the UK to get big road miles in on the bike.

Weekly Totals
Run 4 hours 40
Bike 2 hour
Gym 1 hour
Total 7 hours 40 min

3 things to improve:
This does not look like much / Missed 1 days training due to work
Increase Overall total / milage on bike. Not relishing my commute along the dark lanes of Herefordshire, so the rack will have to come out!
Start swimming

3 positives
Good balance in run program (Endurance, tempo and hills)
A solid 2 hour bike
Started weights program
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:46 pm

too bad for the race! Are there other cross races in your plan?

[quote="IronGirl"]
This does not look like much

:D :D :D :D hmmm, no comment. :P
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:45 pm

Monday 65 minute run

Brockhampton loop with 10 x 90 sec hill reps.
Tough old session, mentally tired from teaching, but physically good and managed to push the heart rate. Good session and rest day tomorrow.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:48 pm

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]too bad for the race! Are there other cross races in your plan?

Well I'm not feeling so bad about the race. Apparantly it was so slippy that just about everyone fell off at some point. I only saw my chiropracter about 10 days ago and I'm sure she wouldn't want her good work undone so quickly!
There are still some cross races left and also a mountain bike trailquest on sunday. (If Mr I is well) Don't know if you do anything like trailquest in NZ. It's basically a 3 hour orienteering event, so eyeballs out for 3 hours. Well you could just potter for 3 hours, but a race is a race isn't it? We'll be doing it as a pair if we do it as Mr I is the best navigator.
Ever done anything like that or any adventure racing?
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:39 am

What's up with the chiropractor? Do you have back issues?

I can imagine the trailquest would be fun. We have some mtb orienteering here but I have never done any. I'm not sure how big it is here. I've really gotta work on my mtb skills! I've never done any true adventure racing either, just some long trail runs that somehow get called adventure racing because of the gear required, self-support and that you'd be in trouble if you got hurt badly cuz you are pretty remote. True adventure racing somehow seems interesting, but it also just seems like sleep-deprivation too! :P I've got a friend who has raced at a high-level around the globe and it's been interesting to hear his stories. But I think it might make me cry!! :P My normal sunday running group did a 9hr run thru the mtns this past weekend, which I happily missed, but that sort of stuff would be the closest thing for me. You?
Mr. Cleetus

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs