Timanfaya Dreaming

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby IronGirl » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:34 pm

Mr Cleetus

Will definately be doing hill reps as soon as we can get back on the road. Have really helped me in the past, especially as I seem to pick hilly triathlons. :twisted: But appreciate that they help the flatter time trials. Have always been consistent about doing these but I fear there is possible room for improvement by using bigger gears?

Have done the 2 x 20 on the road before, but have not been consistent at them. So scope for improvement there. Might just have to go for it on the turbo if our current weather continues.

Set out a few times with good intentions on weights, but when the weather gets nice outside...................go ride yer bike .................

Will look out for the Mental toughness dvd.

I've worked with a triathlon coach before. He was quite old school when it came to ironman training, lots of long stuff and lots of back to back weekends. "What don't kill ya, will get you fit" he used to say. But honestly I got on (get on) really well with him. He got me round my first Ironman and frankly that's all I was ever going to do on the first one. After that he was open to new ideas and we worked together with other coaches (for swimming and run specific work) as well as attending training camps all over the place. That I think is what Neill was good at - putting the whole training package together and helping tailor it to my individual needs. I learnt a lot from him. However I've never worked with a cycling specific coach.

Well it's all coming together in my head even if it looks a bit mixed up on paper! Really helps to mull over these things - thanks. :)

Also decided on Hellvelyn rather than the Duathlon .... I've walked Hellvelyn and that was tough so running it at the end of a tri is an awesome challenge. Will be a good test of fitness at the end of this year.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:01 pm

Thursday 1 hour mountain bike on road ?????

Had to get to work somehow and the car was going nowhere. Decided to attempt to get there via mountain bike.
First mile has rather a lot of snow and I needed all my newly leant cyclo-cross skills. The back wheel was all over the place, but I managed to keep myself away from the brakes, keep a light grip and let the thing roll forward. Slightly jelly legged!!!
B road was very slushy and I thaught I was going to arrive at work looking like a mud monster.
Onto the main A road and that was clear so actually able to do some work. Hadn't anticipated being able to go hard so no HRM, only a watch so just had to go on feel.
2 x 20 min effort.
Feeling quite pleased with myself for getting there and also getting some training in along the way, I arrived to find I had only one student.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Friday 50 min XC run

A certain amount of DOMS in the legs to start, feel much better now.
Still a lot of snow on the fields and they are still good to run on. My usual route takes me down a few small vehicle tracks and they have become pretty tretcherous to run on, so lots of little detours from the normal to keep on "good" snow.

I'm currently reading "Just a little run around the World" by Rosie Swale. She has just run across Siberia and Alaska. She's one tough lady, very brave and an inspiration. She's helped me get out there and have a go this last week. I can hardly wimp out of running through a few inches of snow when I'm reading about her running through blizzards, coping with temperatures of -30 or less, sleeping in a bivvi and waking up burried in snow! It's a good read btw.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:12 pm

2x20s already! well done. :)

[quote="IronGirl"]
Will definately be doing hill reps as soon as we can get back on the road. Have really helped me in the past, especially as I seem to pick hilly triathlons. :twisted: But appreciate that they help the flatter time trials. Have always been consistent about doing these but I fear there is possible room for improvement by using bigger gears?

Also decided on Hellvelyn rather than the Duathlon .... I've walked Hellvelyn and that was tough so running it at the end of a tri is an awesome challenge. Will be a good test of fitness at the end of this year.

I was also referrering to just general unstructured hilly rides - not necessarily for repeats or specific efforts, but a focus on the hills. If you have not done big gear stuff before it may be worth a try to see what it does for you. It's no fun, but doing it in the aero bars works the specific muscle groups.

Excellent! That race looks like great fun. I'd be there in a second if we had a similar thing here.

If you've got good ideas about what works for you, sometimes a coach can be good just to give you some confidence and get you out the door on a yucky day. Good to get one that listens! :) Seems everybody calls themselves a coach these days... I've had various friends making a lot of money coaching and it always seems a little suspect to me.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:03 pm

Well I seem to have wasted the weekend away! Ever get one of those days when you just don't seem to wake up. Well I had a whole weekend like it, just wanted to sleep.

Sunday 90 min run

Finally dragged myself out this afternoon and went up to Radnor Forest to do a run. Based on the conditions here we arrived in trail shoes only to find there was still about 8" of snow at the bottom of the mountains and likely to be double that at the top. We did a 10 min reccee in the trail shoes, but it was no good. We were not going to be able to stay on our feet and heading rapidly into a dangerous situation.

So back in the car to lower land at Shobdon Woods. Did a 90 min loop and felt fresh and able to do lots more at the end. Perhaps I had needed all that sleep.

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]
I was also referrering to just general unstructured hilly rides - not necessarily for repeats or specific efforts, but a focus on the hills. If you have not done big gear stuff before it may be worth a try to see what it does for you. It's no fun, but doing it in the aero bars works the specific muscle groups.

Oh definately will get lots of hilly bike rides in. Best bit of training in my opinion. Conditions here are much improved so hoping to be back on the roads next week. I've always loved riding in the hills. I'm pretty lucky because Herefordshire is good for hills with some really good hilly circuits to be had. Also hoping to get some long weekends in Wales, The Cambrian Mountains in mid-Wales are fabulous for cycling - hilly, quiet roads where you can sometimes go for hours without seeing anyone. Best I've ever gone in a TT and 1/2IM was a couple of weeks after coming back from riding the hills in Majorca for 2 weeks. Oh training in the sun is so much easier!

On the aero bar thing, yes I should probably be doing all the turbo work on aero bars, I have done this in the past. I have actually got my road bike on the turbo at the moment and the reason is simple (& lazy). The spindle on my time trial bike will not fit onto the turbo. There is one in the garage somewhere??? to fit TT bike and turbo, but I havn't been bothered to sort it. Thanks for the reminder I must sort it out.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:06 am

sounds like you've got some excellent riding around there!

Yes, sort our your skewer! Just get yourself one cheap one for the trainer and leave it with it so you've always got one for whatever bike you wanna ride.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Monday

Run-Swim-Run
10 min run to pool (from work)
400 warm up on mixed stroke
2 x 400 as hungarian reps
4 x 50 hard
200 easy
1600m Total
10 min run back to work

Found a 3pm lane session in Worcester, don't have any lessons monday afternoon, so worked through lunch in order to do the above. Works well and the pool was very quiet at that time.

45 min Turbo session
Spinervals 7 - The uphill Grind
Basically a 4 x 5 min hill session with a few other bits.
Hard work, never sweated so much on a turbo.
IronGirl

Postby skoptic » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:53 am

[quote="IronGirl"]I'm currently reading "Just a little run around the World" by Rosie Swale.

Cool - didn't know there was a book - Thanks!

[quote="IronGirl"]
Spinervals 7 - The uphill Grind
Basically a 4 x 5 min hill session with a few other bits.
Hard work, never sweated so much on a turbo.

BIG RING!!.. BIG RING!!..... You've gotta love Troy :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby IronGirl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:50 pm

[quote="skoptic"] BIG RING!!.. BIG RING!!..... You've gotta love Troy :-)

Yeah I think I'm developing a love-hate relationship. But I know it will do me good. :lol:

Tuesday
Well managed to sneeze for a day and a half constantly after swimming in a pool. Very frustrating. The monday session in Worcester is perfect timing, but I think I'm less affected by the Leominster pool.
As I said in an earlier post I've tried a nose peg and taking anti-histamines, but they were no help. If anyone has any other ideas I'd be really grateful.
Someone at work suggested that I didn't put my head in the water ???? bless!

Wednesday
Sneezing over I had a good aerobic day today.

1 hour run and 1 hour 20 min on the turbo.

Ran this morning in the snow. Yes we had several inches overnight after getting rid of the stuff over the weekend. Over the fields and around Brockhampton Estate. Steady pace.

Turbo this evening - Spinervals 16 Aerobic base builder. Kept to 10 - 15 beats below threshold. Mmmm well 10-15 beats below my current guess at threshold. Perhaps it's time to get in a lab. Didn't think there was any point last year as I was just starting back. However things are going OK now so it would be worth it. Would be a good excuse to take my physiology students on a trip.
Enjoying the spinervals.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:07 pm

aiyee, that's no good. Everybody I know has had success with a nose clip, so I've got no help to offer. :( Maybe ask xrodolfox, he is a swim coach.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Found this thread on the US Masters Swimming forum regarding the swimming / chlorine thing: http://forums.usms.org/archive/index.php/t-444.html

Several people suggesting that it is an irritation thing rather than an allergy. If this is the case I think minimising the amount of water going up the nose is going to help. So I'm going to try the nose clip again plus the use of a saline spray straight after swimming.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:42 am

Saturday 1 hour 45 min bike

Well a baptism of fire back on the road. A hilly route from home taking in Ankerdine (17% in part) and Clifton Bank (20%) and rolling for the rest of it. The one thing I noticed after the turbo was that I don't coast at all, I mean I keep the power going the whole time. Seem to be using bigger gears where I'd have been changing down for some things before.
Still back to the turbo for more strength work next week.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Sunday 2 1/2 Hour Run

1st run of the year in the beautiful Radnor Forest. Snow had cleared sufficiently to get to the car park. Still had snow for about half of the run and it was tough going. Deep snow that has packed down as its been rained on, still around 6-8 inches in places. You just sank in as you ran (good for snow shoes I'm guessing - more toys on the wish list!). Lots of hills and stunning scenery. Longest run for a while and was very pleased with it. The sort of day that isn't really training but just having fun. Billy the dog came along and had a great time. Dogs just have amazing running physiology.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:44 pm

Monday Rest Day

Tuesday

Swim 2000m as
300 Warm up
15 X 100m
200 cool down

45 min Turbo Session
Spinervals session - The Uphill Grind! OUCH!!
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:15 pm

swimming again!!

What sort of pup is Billy? My dog _should_ be good for long runs, but I think he gets bored after about 1hr of being forced to run my pace, so he just gets in my way. :? He much prefers 4hrs of frisbee. 8)
Mr. Cleetus

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs