Long distance is where it's at - fact!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Stepping it up to National Level

Postby downhillingdemon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 pm

Tuesday - Gym

Was up early for two sites in Wales, but, despite the blizzard conditions, managed to get there, get done and get home, in plenty of time for the gym :D

Did 10 mins on the x-trainer then 20 mins hard on the stationary bike to warm up. Still noticing the loss of weight, gotta get a couple of pounds or so back on! I am eating, but clearly not enough to keep up with the training atm.

Bench
Bar: 10, 10
25 kg: 10, 10
30 kg: 10
31 kg: 10, 10, 10

Leg press as warm-up for squats (6: 10, 7 :10 ) then

Squats
Free: 10
Bar: 10
30 kg: 5
40 kg: 5
47.5 kg: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Chins: 5, 4, 4, 3

Stretching.

Then another session of trackstand practice in the kitchen. 12 seconds tonight.....I'm getting better, slowly! Not got the consistency yet, but it will come :mrgreen:
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Slept in, mooched around reporting from home, slept in the afternoon and ate lots. Recovery to the max :P

Nightride tonight was a little drifty! Didn't go far, but it felt like a right hard workout making my way around North Hill in the snow. Absolutely liberating being out in it.

Oh, and trackstand practice tonight = 31 SECONDS! That's the 30 second goal surpassed! Just gotta get the consistency with them now. :mrgreen:
downhillingdemon

Postby Frostfire » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Nice all around. Track stand practice reminds me of how one of the vegan-friendly pizza places here in Salt Lake City have this sign on their front door:

I never understood their fear because its a large uncrowded sidewalk with few bikes. I think they are just trying to be funny.
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby silver » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:24 pm

Congrats on the race result, perhaps not performing up to your expectations will make you hungrier... (I may have phrased that really badly, the gist of it is that it will keep complacency at bay. I'll shut up now, race psychology is not my thing.)

Track stands are though!

30 seconds isn't a bad start.
You may curse me now, have you tried seated trackstands yet? and after that one handed, and no handed (one or both feet on the front wheel) and no handed one footed. I need to get out more, don't I?
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Love the 'no trackstands' sign! That's something you don't see every day! :D

[quote="silver"]Congrats on the race result, perhaps not performing up to your expectations will make you hungrier... (I may have phrased that really badly, the gist of it is that it will keep complacency at bay. I'll shut up now, race psychology is not my thing.)

Track stands are though!

30 seconds isn't a bad start.
You may curse me now, have you tried seated trackstands yet? and after that one handed, and no handed (one or both feet on the front wheel) and no handed one footed. I need to get out more, don't I?

Yeah, the psychology is complex....especially when I spend as much of my time as I possibly can to get better on the bike. Sometimes you just have to accept your limitations, although I do think I can still make some improvements, they just aren't coming as quickly as I would like I guess.

30 seconds is a good start. I am not naturally gifted with the whole balance thing so thought it would take me MUCH longer to pick it up. I am well chuffed tbh! Just need to work on the consistency now, until I can consistently nail them for extended time periods. I think you need to post videos of these advanced trackstand techniques though. Would love to see them done! :D

Thursday - Ladies MCS Ride

Oh goodness, I knew I was going to be in for a tough time when it was just myself and the 17 yr old whippet Sophie beasting the climbs. She has so much potential to be a top XC racer, her climbing ability is already unbelievable (she's not been riding long), she has the dedication and a natural ability to steady the bike. Hope she keeps it up! She'll get fantastic support from the club.

It was a little sketchy on the ice and with the drifting snow, but we both stayed upright. 17 km in the snow wasn't bad going.

This is Sophie up top. :)

downhillingdemon

Postby silver » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:49 am

[quote="downhillingdemon"] I think you need to post videos of these advanced trackstand techniques though. Would love to see them done! :D

Bugger, I'd better start practicing again.
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

silver
User Activation Admin

Postby kallefs » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:07 pm

How is pro life treating you? Sipping umbrella drinks in the pool and shooting some videos in the alps mostly?
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby downhillingdemon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:39 pm

[quote="kallefs"]How is pro life treating you? Sipping umbrella drinks in the pool and shooting some videos in the alps mostly?

:lol: Not even close!

Gawd I hated racing DH so much. I gave it up at the start of the summer and it was the best decision.

Quick update - went to doing more miles on the XC bike, still riding a bit of DH, got a roadie and have fallen scarily in love with the road.

In fact, now I start thinking about all the things that have happened since the last DH race I wouldn't know where to start! So much riding, so many stories! A couple of centuries (100 mile /166 km) on the road bike, a third place podium at 12 hour solo on the MTB (on a 32 lb 140 mm 26" wheel draggy mountain bike when everyone else was on racing machines), a new DH frame, a 100 km Audax with a 200 km coming up. Had a great training day with Neil Donoghue which is still impacting on my riding now.

Still going to the gym once a week - had a little disc issue giving me pins and needles and numbness in my feet when in certain positions (disc bulge caused by crashing I think, not the gym) which has settled now and am back to squatting around the 50-60kg mark for 5x5. Rarely go above, not much point for the riding.

Got terribly dragged into Strava but luckily have got over it now haha. Still use it, but stopped being a saddo chasing segments/QOMs :lol:

I have big plans for 2014 being Audax focussed, although I am hoping to keep my eye in with the DH/XC MTB. Initially I was going to focus on miles (more and more and more) but realised that 'time in the saddle' is a much better goal for me. By counting hours (with an aim to get up to 14 hours a week) the MTB will have as much a role as the road bike. I will also spend some time on my road climbing. I'm not bad at it, but could be better with a little self belief. I find the thought of the climbs is normally way worse than the actual event!
downhillingdemon

Re: Long distance is where it's at - fact!

Postby silver » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Good to see you're still riding, next step; the velodrome?

silver
User Activation Admin

Postby downhillingdemon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Ha! Been there done that.....really loved it, but the nearest velodrome is Newport and is just too far away to be a useable training resource. Also, the high cadence, high speed, power based aspect is not really all that relevant to long distance chugging and the shelter will do nothing for the psychological aspect of dealing with driving rain, headwinds and the freezing UK winter expected ;)

Also, if I am honest, Audax appeals because of the very 'individual' nature. I am preferring solo riding more and more. The velodrome is far too team based and I would struggle to find a team where I wouldn't be the weak link in the speed department (slow in steady is my thing).
downhillingdemon

Postby kallefs » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Hmmm, should we have a vegan peloton in the PBP 2015? Maybe I should start with getting back on the bike first...
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:32 am

"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:16 am

*giant waves back :D

[quote="kallefs"]Hmmm, should we have a vegan peloton in the PBP 2015? Maybe I should start with getting back on the bike first...

That would be amazeballs! Lets do it! Surely we can get together all the big milers off here? 2015 is ages away, plenty of time to train and it would be an amazing focus. I have also got my eye on LEL in 2017......
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:22 am

Oh yeah training - maybe I should actually start logging it again.

Gym yesterday - worked up to 3 sets of 5 with 57.5kg on squats then did a 10 rep set with 40 kg. Felt strong but just conscious of the back so didn't push it with 5 sets this week. Chins 4 sets of 5. Pressups. Nice session. Had been thinking about dropping the gym to up the miles on the bike (trying to work out how to get more saddle time), but then realised I actually love my weekly session rather a lot. So it's staying.
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Ladies MCS MTB ride. As an attempt to fit in a few more miles/hours on the bike, I am trying to get out a little earlier Thursday so I can get some training miles in before the steady social pace of the ladies group. It worked very well last night - about an hour and a half pedalling out of the valley (537 meters up, with must less down!), slugging through muddy trails, working on technical skills at times. Climbs felt strong, even with my post-gym legs. Got very cold on the ladies ride after though, must remember that it chills off quick when the pace drops. Need to be better prepared for winter as it is most definitely on the way. 32 km 776 meters overall for the evening. Nice. Also great, as ever, to see the improvement from some of the newer lady riders, and good to see them braving the chilly evenings.

Great thing about living in Malvern I being able to refill the camelback when it runs out from the springs :D

downhillingdemon

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs