[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Long distance is where it's at - fact!

Long distance is where it's at - fact!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Stepping it up to National Level

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Aww thanks all - it still seems a bit surreal! Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks :lol:

[quote="JP"]just adding to the congrats, great news about the sponsor :)

will they give you support in designing a training plan too or where does it come from?

The team support will be more for the technical aspect at race weekends. So I'll be able to walk the track with them, talk through lines and see what the fast guys do. Also I will get some financial assistance in varying forms (race kit, uplifts, discounts on parts&bikes and maintenance help). Just being able to ride with such skilled people will really help me push up my level. I am still mostly limited by my technical ability rather than fitness, with the exception of sprints off the mark and occasional pedally sections.

I'll be devising my own plan at the moment, will post something up once it is finalised. Biggest problem, like for everyone I guess, is fitting everything in around work and not overdoing it.

Monday - MCS NYE ride
Gawd blimy. Brutal. There is no doubt about it, the Malverns produce some of the best riders in the country.....and they all seem to come out on the MCS rides. And then they always seem to love the killer climbs with technical sections that I could only ever dream of having the legs for.

Still, at least these are always countered by the best descents, and I can more than hold my own on those :D

Riding in this weather is starting to get expensive, I went through another set of brake pads today. At £14 a pair, that's gonna soon have to stop! *prays for dry weather*
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Tuesday - New Year's Day

A good few hours or so sessioning some jumps and DH trails at Nibley....underneath that rather rare thing known as the sun! TBH it was just what I needed to get some jump mojo back. After spending the first few hours really struggling, it began to come together a little toward the end. Still need to get out on the big bike more and practice I think .

Here's a short (1 min) compilation of the video clips

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY2egiB1EdU[/youtube]

Wednesday - Rest

Was going to nightride, but I got that overwhelming feeling that I needed to just chill out and rest.

Thursday - Ladies MCS Ride

Blimy, period pains were horrendous all Wednesday night (probably why I needed to rest the evening before) and woke me up every hour so I was shattered by the time I got home from work, still with bad cramps. Felt a little better after an afternoon kip and a huge dose of asprin, but not 100%. Weirdly though, once I was out on the bike, I felt pretty strong, even though I was still cramping badly. Which was great until I got a puncture from hell which took a rather long time to get sorted so the ride was cut short for me. Whilst cruising back along the road on my own, I realised how much I miss solo nightriding, even though I love the Thursday evenings with the ladies. I think I am going to go back to riding on my own on Wednesdays rather than try and make the 'fast group', I think I'll benefit from a constant (my own!) pace...both mentally and physically.
downhillingdemon

Postby silver » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Some of those smooth jumps look just right for regaining mojo. Quite fancy some of that myself.

Can see you getting bigger air as the vid progresses. Cool stuff.

My jumpings always been pretty pants and doubles just scare the willies out of me. (might be something to do with dropping a bike on my head messing up a double one time.....)
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:00 am

[quote="silver"]Some of those smooth jumps look just right for regaining mojo. Quite fancy some of that myself.

Can see you getting bigger air as the vid progresses. Cool stuff.

My jumpings always been pretty pants and doubles just scare the willies out of me. (might be something to do with dropping a bike on my head messing up a double one time.....)

Yeah, they are pretty nice. Although the last snippet of video shows a double straight out of a corner.....that is not an easy jump. Might look it in the video, but then the guy doing the jumping is one of the best I ride with, and has the ability to make everything look easy!

Definitely would be a lot easier on a trail bike/jump bike than the DH rig at Nibley, but I am having to get used to riding it again. It takes such brute force compared to my little bikes!

We should meet up at Stile Cop sometime - that's a great place to refind jump mojo! :D
downhillingdemon

Postby silver » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:35 pm

[quote="downhillingdemon"]

We should meet up at Stile Cop sometime - that's a great place to refind jump mojo! :D

That would be cool. I didn't look at it when I was there. (Just had a look at some videos. Looks like it's fun.)
Will definitely check it out next time I'm up there though.
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:59 pm

Friday - Bench Day

Definitely fighting off the cold that has properly struck down the girls in our office at the moment. Just feel slightly less than 100%, so not going to push it for the next few days with training and just stay well within my comfort zone. One of them has been signed off and the other can barely speak, I could do without a bug like that right now *crosses fingers*

Have lost weight over Christmas....all that riding and no weights I guess. Only a little though, it won't take long to stick it back on, hopefully as muscle :mrgreen:

Warm up - 12 mins on x-trainer
Bench:
Bar: 10, 10, 10
25 kg: 10, 10
30 kg: 5,
35 kg: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Flat handed press-ups 10, 10, 10

Some stretching.
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Saturday - (should have been) XC & DH Day at Hopton

Feck it. Another ride cut short by a mechanical. :x

I have been feeling like there is something wrong with the back of my bike for a fair few weeks. Strange knocking on big compressions, etc. However, today I just didn't feel comfortable on the bike at all. The 'blue route' warm up lap at Hopton is a little rooty in places, and I felt like I was struggling to compress over them, had no pop, and the back was 'hanging up' on stuff.

Just lacking mojo I thought. Changing bikes, I thought. Just one of those days, I thought.

Anyway, once we hit the fast, rutted, rooty and pumpy first section of the red trail I was really struggling and by the time the XC took use through the DH trails I know reasonably well, I knew there was more going on than just me riding poorly. Stopped to have a look at the shock and it seemed to be sitting in the travel a little too much, so I figured it must have been slowly leaking air. Borrowed a shock pump to top it up and then.......hisssssssssssssssssssssss

That was that. End of ride for me. A push/roll back and then sitting there for 45 minutes with no jumper, no phone, no food and no DIRT magazine (which was cruelly stuck in the van) until Ian arrived back with the key. I had to resort to taking photos of random stuff.

FFS. I was feeling alright on the climbs once I had warmed up in all :x

So when I got home, I went running. For the first time in months. There was no pelvic pain. I was no longer stressed. It was bliss being able to run, and chill, and look at the sunset, and nose in people's gardens, and generally love life without worrying about falling off. My legs are now like jelly. :mrgreen:
downhillingdemon

Postby bob_summers » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:34 am

congrats on next season DHD, really looking forward to reading about how it goes.
Mechanicals are like buses, really. I haven't had any for ages and suddenly I keep hearing wallet-emptying clunks and groans :-(

Where do you even get a onesie? Looks like they're all the rage since BGW got one!
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Sunday
Gawd damn it. I had a terrible day on the big bike on Sunday. Totally out of my depth on rutted, loamy, techy trails with absolutely no easy flowy option to get started on. I did learn some things. Firstly, that I take ages to warm up (which I should know by now). Secondly, I need to warm up on easier stuff, even if it means I am going to have to go off and find some simple thing to play on for a bit on my own. Finally, if a local says you need spikes, then listen to the local as they are probably right :x

I could’ve bailed from race season right there and then.

Best bit of the whole day was riding through the urban dereliction to get to the trails.

It was, I guess, just one of those days.

Monday and Tuesday

Rest days – long work days surveying

Wednesday AM – Gym
Well, considering it was the morning, I was knackered from two site days, I’ve lost weight over Christmas and generally wasn’t expecting much, the session went pretty well.

Warm up: Intervals on rower (2 min warm up followed by 8 x 1 min flat out with with 30 sec rest) then 10 mins on x-trainer.
Squats:
Free: 10, 10
Bar: 10, 10
30 kg: 5
40 kg: 5
50 kg: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Pulls downs as warm up for chins 5:12, 6:10, 10
Chins: 6, 5, 4, 3

Wednesday Evening – Nightride
Sketcharama ride in the icy-mud on the HT. I had an awesome time, despite being only vaguely in control haha. Ian’s light packed up though, so only managed a short one before heading home.
12.34 km

Thursday Evening Ladies MCS Ride
Great turnout with two new ladies, one of which had never ridden off road before. Bit of a baptism of fire to be doing it on a borrowed bike, in the dark, in the fog and on muddy trails, so awesome that she stuck with us! :D

I stayed at the back of the group for most of the ride as it was pea-soup fog and needed to make sure we didn’t loose anyone! This was a good opportunity for me to practice bunnyhopping. I have been talking to a friend who is also an amazingly awesome rider (probably the best I know actually) and he’s given me loads of advice on how to improve and what’s important to learn from here. It’s already making a noticeable difference. I am going to persevere with bunnyhops and manuals this year until I crack them and can pull them off as easily as jumping. Knowing I can bunnyhop out of a deep rut will be the best feeling ever. It can’t be that blummin hard.
14.30 km

Friday – Uplift Day at the FOD
Had a day off to take Ian to the FoD for an interview……….to become an uplift driver for FlyUp in Devon, and he got the job :D It’s so exciting for him, such a great opportunity to work in the industry! :D

I spend the day on the uplift sessioning Corkscrew which is likely to be raced in either the next round or the one after. I don’t ride it very often so it was a useful exercise. The track is essentially in three sections…top flat pedally bit, a middle rooty section and then a bottom gulley.

It took a few runs to warm up (and get the bike finally dialled for the first time since some suspension maintenance) before I felt in control but once I settled in to it, the session went pretty well.

TBH I didn’t have the legs for the top pedally bit, but I did, for the first time ever, look ahead on bits of that trail that I never normally do. It was weird. But weird in a good way – everything looked so different. I was most concerned about the rough and rooty mid section, but as it turned out, that was by far my best bit of the track and I could fly down there like a bluddy maniac by the end.

The gulley at the bottom is really awful at the moment. There is a big, single wheel width, rut and it took me ages to pluck up the courage to hit it. But it was fine. In fact, it was all fine. Not ‘race’ fine, but ‘get down in one piece and not too slowly’ fine :)

And the sun was out :mrgreen:

downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:43 pm

[quote="bob_summers"]congrats on next season DHD, really looking forward to reading about how it goes.
Mechanicals are like buses, really. I haven't had any for ages and suddenly I keep hearing wallet-emptying clunks and groans :-(

Where do you even get a onesie? Looks like they're all the rage since BGW got one!

Thanks Bob :)

Onesies seem to be all the rage in England atm - and are thus rather easy to get hold of :shock:
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 pm

Saturday – Dig Day at the FoD
Was going to dig and ride, but everything started catching up with me and I was just too shattered. Especially by the time I had shifted many shovels full of heavy clay and rocks. So had a quick look at the trails with the big bike before heading home to chill.

All the materials have to be hand-mixed before hand-laying.

Sunday – DH Day
A mixed day – fast in some bits, but I was tense and not hitting my lines right or carrying speed when I needed to. It was a full day again on the bike though, so valuable training none-the-less

AND....the weather was good :)

Monday – Rest

Tuesday – Gym
I have bee struggling to eat and sleep over the last week, think it’s stress from the racing stuff and overthinking. So by the time I got to the gym I was running on empty. Made the logical decision to drop the weights back a little as I am racing the next two weekends, oh, and because I decided to do 4 minute intervals on the rowing machine. THEY DESTROYED ME.

10 min warm up – x-trainer
Rower – 5 x 4 min (flat out) intervals with 1 min rest

Bench
Bar: 10, 10, 10
25 kg: 10, 10
30 kg: 10, 10, 10

Squats
Free: 10, 10
Bar: 10, 10
30 kg: 5
40 kg: 5, 5
45 kg: 5x5 (which will mean 47.5 kg next week, still doable before a race that weekend and then can beast squats for three weeks until next race week)

Chins – warmup with bar then 5, 4, 4, 4

Wednesday – Nightride
Just me, the HT, and crispy crunchy trails. A dive bombing owl. Wonderful. 18.26 km

As a note, I have had a load of training advice from my friend and have already started work on the basics. Especially stretching more often and practising key skills.

I am also having a bit of sports psychology. It couldn’t have come soon enough as my stress levels have been really high since the New Year, both on and off the bike. The first proper session tonight has already started to change the way I see racing.

I am supposed to be racing at the weekend, but the snow is coming in and whether I can even get there is currently unknown. Hope I can, I’d like to get the season started. It’s almost like it’ll cure the anticipation!
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Thursday - Ladies MCS Ride

I so was not expecting anyone to turn up. But there was 6 of us out in the snow tonight :mrgreen:

I went down hard on sheet ice hidden under a layer of snow, but luckily just bruised. Was feeling a little off-colour, hoping I'm not coming down with something as I have managed, so far, to escape all the bugs and nasties that have been doing the rounds this winter. Despite both of these things, it was impossible not to have a great time on the fast rolling snow-kissed trails!
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Friday - Rest
Well, the snow came, but luckily missed Devon. So we had a sketchy trip down until the bottom of Somerset where the white stuff disappeared.

Saturday and Sunday - Woodlands Rd1
Practice day on Saturday was ok. The track wasn't particularly daunting in terms of 'scary' but it was daunting in terms of line choices. Not a great track for me, very pedally at the top which I struggle with, then lots of tight corners and roots at the bottom, which I also struggle with. Took me most of Saturday to work out what the best lines were and didn't really get any flow. Kept practising the mental calming techniques my sports psychologist had given me and they really helped keep me relatively calm.

Race day was ok in the morning. Didn't get as many practice runs in as I would like as there was no uplift and I was aware that the pushing was taking it out of me. Did enough though and first run I was relatively calm at the top. Every man and his dog was expecting me to take the win. Got to the bottom of the first run to find out that, actually, despite doing my best, I wasn't good enough to take first and was behind by a second or so. Second run I made that time up, and a little more, only to find the same lady came down quicker again and beat me by 0.6 secs.

I am gutted to say the least. Mainly because I didn't meet every one else's expectations, and because I am still not quick enough on technical stuff, no matter how hard I practice. Yes, I know I got second, but trust me, that is not an adequate substitute for knowing that I am making bugger all progress at the moment.

Still, that's the first race of the year done and over. Another one next weekend to prepare for.

Live and learn and practice harder, because what else can I do?
downhillingdemon

Postby IronGirl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:03 pm

Hey don't beat yourself up, that's an awesome result for the first race of the season.

You sound so much more in control on these days too, good work!

Scares me to death just looking at your photos. Was half expecting some crazy snow pictures from you this weekend!
IronGirl

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 pm

[quote="IronGirl"]Hey don't beat yourself up, that's an awesome result for the first race of the season.

You sound so much more in control on these days too, good work!

Scares me to death just looking at your photos. Was half expecting some crazy snow pictures from you this weekend!

Thanks IronGirl.

Snow pictures are likely to follow Wednesday and Thursday this week.....as you probably know, Malvern is rather white still! :mrgreen:

Monday - Rest
Well, I say rest, but actually I attended a yoga class. It was brilliant. Exactly what I needed. The postures highlighted several areas where I am waaaaay more stiff than I had realised. More importantly, the breathing exercises and relaxation were just what I needed to bring me in to focus. I shall definitely try to attend a class once a week.

And then, in far bigger news, I managed a 9 second trackstand in my kitchen. This is a huge improvement since my last attempt (of 2 seconds). I cannot even begin to tell you how big an achievement this is. Today, a 9 second trackstand, tomorrow, I conquer the world :P
downhillingdemon

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs