Long distance is where it's at - fact!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: downhilling demon's MTB log

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:00 am

So, another update.....

Knee was badly infected and I have been on antibiotics for 3 weeks to try and clear it. Last tablet today.....fingers crossed it doesn't flare up again! In better news, there is no structural damage and I can use the knee fine for riding/walking now. Just building back up slowly at the moment, but all good so far.

In fact, so good I ended up racing the SW Champs at the weekend....

It wasn't as enjoyable as either Plymouth or the FoD race before - and you know why? Because I really wanted a win and it put a lot of pressure on. So much, in fact, I crossed the start line on my first run and went straight into a tree :oops: :roll: What a donut! :lol: However, despite the crash, I still came in just a second off first place i the first run standings so I knew I could take it if I was steady on my second and absolutely did not crash. Not too steady though, as there was another lady there who I knew was good, not as quick as me on a clean run, but certainly quick enough to beat me if I made even a little mistake (she had also crashed on her first run). The rest of the competition was also of a good standard and there was a fair few ladies there for once....so the pressure was properly on :shock:

As it was, I managed a steady, but clean run and did take the win with a fair bit to spare :mrgreen:

Results here: http://www.rootsandrain.com/race1444/20 ... ategories/

Better photo here: http://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/392567

The reason I wanted the win so bad? Because I knew it would give me a little more 'asking' rights for sponsorship for 2013. This racing marlarky - it's very expensive.....and I'll be happy with any help I can get. So I contacted one of my favourite local companies and am waiting to hear whether I've been selected. I'll find out next month. There is a lot of competition so for sponsors so I'm not holding my breath, but fingers are definitely crossed!

As it is, with DH going pretty well. Which is a good thing as the planned mileage increase to do a 24 hr race is never going to happen. What with work, injury and life in general I just cannot seem to get on a good training run.

So, I am going back to what I am best at - DH and the associated training. With a bit of extra pedalling for fun.

I really am going to start this training log up again and try and stay on top of it, this time. Kick me if I don't post, wont you?
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:25 am

Friday

Gym. First session back squatting since the knee incident. Must actually be over five weeks since my last decenct squat session and am noticing it a lot. Was planning on restarting 5x5 with 40 kg. However my knee, which has been brilliant for walking and riding, was not overly happy and neither was the hamstring in that leg. I suspect just tightness rather than structural but made sure it was not pushed beyond what it was ready for. This meant lots of warmups and 30 kg max on the bar. It's a start. My leg strength is still there despite having lost weight from not squatting over the last five weeks. Won't be long til I'm back to normal.

Warm up free squats 10 10 10 10 10
bar 10 10
30kg 5x5

Chins warmup with bar then 4, 4, 3, 3

followed by lat pulls and bench (warm ups with bar 10 10 10 then 25kg 10 10 then 5x5 with 30kg)
downhillingdemon

Postby kallefs » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:35 am

Well done on winning, hope the sponsorship hunt goes well.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:37 pm

[quote="kallefs"]Well done on winning, hope the sponsorship hunt goes well.

Thanks kallefs :)

Today I went on a ladies ride on the Wiltshire-Oxfordshire border and it was brilliant. Nothing technical, just wide by-way for 12 miles to a fantastic little cafe (serving the bestest espresso!) and 12 miles back. Great company, stunning views, cold but clear weather. Brilliant :D

Few pics:

Our leader for the day Sharon

Halloween spider

Autumn is here - and from the feel of it, winter isn't far off

Stunning views
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Sunday 28-10-12 - Racer's Guild Timed Practice

Another month, another Racer's Guild, another day of torture trying to scrub seconds off to get somewhere near to the guys. It was not a good session for me this month (results wont be up for a few days, but I know approximately whereabouts I was), although, as always, a good laugh with nice folks. Brilliantly organised too.

Practice was OK - never ridden the track before but learnt what I could in the handful of practice runs I managed to squeeze into the couple of hours it was open. It was quite techy in some ways - quite rutted, a fair few corners, some awkward rooty bits and trying to keep flow.

First run down wasn't great. I didn't get any flow, stuttered through the corners and didn't look ahead anywhere near enough. Thought I would be able to make up some of the time on my second run, but the rains came down and the track was a different beast. Although I had more flow through the top corners, I ended up coming in a second slower. The third run was a disaster as I wore my soaking wet goggles and I could see nothing (I probably should have stopped and taken them off as riding down in a blur is probably asking for a nasty off). Forth run was down as properly wet and cut up track, but actually I was doing ok....until the second from last corner where I tried to change gear and just ballsed it up totally. Oh well. Live n learn. At least in a proper race I'll know not to wear soaking wet goggles......
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Oh and also my DOMS from squatting feck-all-weight on Friday? AGONISING :shock:
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Monday - Rest Day

Tuesday - Pootle round the New Forest. It was weird....pretty in places but a rather strange place. Bit like a giant London park. It all felt very synthetic. I was most surprised. It may be because they don't let you get close to the proper terrain on a bike and you are confined to huge man-made landscape scars like old railways and manicured caravan parks. I wouldn't visit again in a hurry. Although it was nice seeing the wild ponies. Did about 16 miles in 1:40.

Wednesday - Got back from work trip in time for the gym, which went well. Steady on squats again...slowly slowly to protect my knee, but it felt much better than last week. Chins were strong.

Squats: Free: 15, 15, 15, 15
10 kg bar: 10, 10
20 kg bar: 10
30 kg: 5
35 kg: 5x5

Chins - 6, 4, 4, 3

Bench - Bar: 10, 10
25 kg: 10, 10
31 kg: 5x5

Feeling a bit sad and empty at the moment. The Racer's Guild session hasn't done anything to increase my confidence and I need to increase my speed over technical stuff if I am going to do well in the races I have planned for next year. I kind of feel like I have reached a glass ceiling and, no matter how hard I work at the moment, I can't seem to break through it. Wonder if this is it, the pinnacle of my riding ability? What a depressing thought.
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Thursday
Ladies evening ride - 2:05:51 hours - 9.07 miles. Steady ride, although I did try n chase the two quick ladies uphill, and struggled. Just can't catch my breath at the moment.

We have a new member - she learnt to ride in Whistler and is, thus, rather awesome on a bike. Soooo great to have so many talented ladies to ride with :D

Friday-Sunday
Coed-y-Brenin weekend with the local club. What a stunning weekend. Had a brilliant time with great people, especially my friend Lisa who came along and really made massive improvements with technical stuff. The weather was great, freezing cold, but mostly sunny and the trails were a mix of old-school-trail-centre-tech with new-school-flat-out-fast.

Our small ladies group was blessed as we were joined by a WC rider (Jess Stone) for the weekend. It was an utter privilege to ride with her, and follow her down trails. Flat out fast and totally dialled....if only I could do it without a WC tyre to follow :lol: Learnt so much, made me realise how much time I spend popping off stuff and loosing speed rather than pumping the trail. Saturday I reckon I did some of the best riding I have ever done in my life.....for a minute I felt really flowy :)

Here's some pics...

As a footnote: Despite the brilliant stuff above, not everything was 100%. I was struggling to find my breath all weekend on the climbs....chasing a fast group uphill. Did about 30 miles with 1200 m climbing over the weekend, so not loads, and didn't struggle for endurance or legs, just lungs on the climbs. I was blaming my fitness, but today my chest feels really tight and I was out of breath walking up stairs at work. I feel 100% in myself though, not tired, and strong. Weird. I'll give it a couple of days and then go to the docs if no improvement.

Monday - rest day
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Tuesday- Gym

Extra CV work tonight before weights. Not sure I'll be doing CV first as the weight continues to pile on the squat bar over the next 6 weeks, but it was nice to get the new fitness regime off to a good start. :mrgreen:

So 30 mins hard CV (20 mins rowing, 10 mins running) then:

Squats: Free: 10 Bar: 10, 10
30 kg: 5
35 kg: 5
40 kg: 5 x 5 (easy, even though knee felt a little tight)

Chins: 4, 4, 3, 3, noticed CV (rowing) impact on strength here

X-ups: 10, 10

Press-ups (with handles) 8, 7, 8 - bit out of practice with these :shock:
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Wednesday - MCS Wednesday (faster pace) ride

Well, I made the decision, despite being sore-as-a-sore-thing from the gym yesterday, to join the fact paced MCS Wednesday ride. It was hard for me, I struggled for breath, but I did hang onto the tail end of the group and am very pleased with the hard work put in. 12 miles, 500 m of climbing, technical/fast descents, and a salvage of, what should've been, a really nasty crash. How the heck I hung onto the bike I'll never know, but I did :mrgreen:
downhillingdemon

Postby silver » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:22 am

[quote="downhillingdemon"] Learnt so much, made me realise how much time I spend popping off stuff and loosing speed rather than pumping the trail.

...but popping off stuff is fun!

Mind you, so is the feeling of pre-jumping a lip and getting a free boost...
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:36 pm

[quote="silver"][quote="downhillingdemon"] Learnt so much, made me realise how much time I spend popping off stuff and loosing speed rather than pumping the trail.

...but popping off stuff is fun!

Mind you, so is the feeling of pre-jumping a lip and getting a free boost...

Ha ha so true, popping off stuff is the bestest :mrgreen:

One thing I'm having to learn is the difference between getting down the hill quickly, and getting down the hill in the most fun way.

Thursday MCS Ladies Ride
Had a great turn out tonight, 7 of us ladies out. Great seeing the sparkily lights dancing down the hills. Trails were running fast and I settled straight back into riding the HT on the first descent. Faster off the Beacon tonight on the HT than last night on the FS :shock:

The group was pretty split with a fast group of climbers, and a normal group of climbers and me somewhere in the middle. I did work hard to keep up with the quick ones on the climbs though....one day I'll do so with ease again if I keep putting the work in, right? ;)

8.35 miles 393 meters climbing

Thank goodness for rest day tomorrow.
downhillingdemon

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:00 am

[quote]How the heck I hung onto the bike I'll never know, but I did

Probably a case of "The more I practice, the luckier I get" :wink:
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:02 pm

[quote="Big Good Wolf"][quote]How the heck I hung onto the bike I'll never know, but I did

Probably a case of "The more I practice, the luckier I get" :wink:

This is true, I do spend a lot of time trying to salvage near misses :lol:

Saturday - XC
Well, we had a fab time exploring my old home town and managed to put together a decent 18 mile loop. Found some super singletrack, DH stuff, great views, ancient descents through worn in gulleys, very very muddy bridleways and all with barely another soul about.

3 hours, but there was a fair bit of stopping to read maps. Really put the efforts in on the climbs. 17.82 miles, 467 m climbing

Misty singletrack

Muddy

See, told ya, muddy!

Smallpox Hill

Woodfield bridleway
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Stupid crashing :evil:

Went to the FoD today to practice rooty stuff. Mostly couldn't ride for shite. Couldn't jump for toffee. And then had a MAHOOOSIVE stack on some roots into a tree stump and over the bars onto my head. Saw stars and everything. Neck brace probably saved me from whiplash (or worse). It was an almighty off and I now have a very sore knee, very sore calf, very sore shoulder, and ever blackening thumb. I was worried I may have broken my thumb, but the pain is easing now the bruising is coming out so fingers crossed it's ok. What a frickin day. Some poor lass broke her pelvis today.....guess a bit of bruising makes me lucky really.

Why do I do this DH stuff again?

At least it was sunny

Before crashage

Thumb an hour ago (and getting ever blacker)
downhillingdemon

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs