Long distance is where it's at - fact!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby KaliBaby » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:07 pm

[quote="downhillingdemon"]... which made descending a little treacherous. :shock:

not that the injury/bang up photos you posted weren't awe inspiring but please be careful!!!
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:59 pm

Today - I was supposed to be nightriding with a friend.......but we both chickened out 'cos of the horrendous weather. I was rather annoyed with myself actually, I don't normally flinch at a bit of rain, but the great weather this year has made me soft.

Must take this winter to toughen back up!

Did manage some weights tonight though:

Front squats (my new all-time favourite exercise)
Strict shoulder press
Abs work

(can't risk push press and back squats as I don't have the cage any more to catch the bar if I fail - and both use so much more weight than front squats and strict press)

[quote="KaliBaby"][quote="downhillingdemon"]... which made descending a little treacherous. :shock:

not that the injury/bang up photos you posted weren't awe inspiring but please be careful!!!

I'll try (I'm actually a bit of a wimp about getting injured now :lol: )
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:35 am

[quote]can't risk push press and back squats as I don't have the cage any more to catch the bar if I fail

Well you know where it is. :wink:
It's outside in the garden, so no need to worry about whether I'm at home or not, just call in and help yourself.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:01 am

[quote="Big Good Wolf"][quote]can't risk push press and back squats as I don't have the cage any more to catch the bar if I fail

Well you know where it is. :wink:
It's outside in the garden, so no need to worry about whether I'm at home or not, just call in and help yourself.

Thanks for the offer BGW - although the chances of me making are pretty slim to non-existent as I can't even seem to manage to get to the Wyre Forest to ride my bike (which is a vastly more exciting prospect that squatting in the rain!)

BTW I'm gonna be selling the Oly-weights in the near future......works out 140 kg total weight with the bar I think......

You interested?
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Totally useless last weekend - managed just 2 hours of XC stuff round the local park.

Last week I was on a training course which let me commute - 4 days 5.4 miles each way........on a singlespeed with the saddle bolted down in the frame. Most inappropriate bike for commuting with big knobbly tires really.

On the way there it was all uphill into a headwind and, of course, downhill on the way back. Worked out pretty well though - felt like I managed to get a bit of CV in (I wouldn't have been able to otherwise as the course was 9-5 with exam questions and revision to do all evening).

This weekend

Megafail again in terms of fitness - had to spend time sorting house stuff yesterday and like a knobhead I had left my off-road lights in Brum so didn't manage to get out at all *yawn*

Did manage 4 hours of downhilling with the dissident guys today though - it was frikkin ace. Slippy, nasty, muddy conditions - I was reet mincing over the wet roots, but loving it none-the-less.

There's prolly gonna be a few vids.....watch this space.

Really really really gonna pay next weekend for my lack of decent training lately - we've gotta lead 15 guys for a ride out round Malvern and I'm seriously praying my endurance is gonna hold up for the whole day. I'm super unfit at the moment compared to the start of the year and it's really frustrating that I can't seem to get a decent few weeks at it. Mostly cos of stupid work and commuting between two homes all the time.
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:41 pm

EDIT (maybe Youtube will work better) wee bit of a crash...... 8)
Last edited by downhillingdemon on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:20 am

This morning: 3.25 mile run
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:40 am

Yesterday evening

10 minutes skipping (like boxing skipping!!) - but the floor was too uneven so had to give in and run in the dark.

Weights:
Front Squats
Shoulder Press
Push Press
Press-ups
Abs

Ooooh, and here's another VIDEO from the (very slippy!!) weekend
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:40 pm

My goodness two awesome days of riding just been had here.....

Friday - Uplift day at Cwmcarn DH

Saturday - huge MTBB forum ride round Malvern

There will be video, oh yes. It was ace.

I can't move off the sofa I'm so fucked :D
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Monday - Lifting. Felt strong. :)

Front Squats
Press-ups

VIDEOS FROM THE WEEKEND!!!!!

This is me on the DH at Cwmcarn (with a minor emergency stop halfway through) - not the best/fastest run of the day, but gives you an idea of just how fun and fast Cwmcarn is.

This is some of the descents from Malvern...we had an extra couple but they got deleted - such a shame we're gonna have to do them again. :wink:

This is the Beacon Descent. It's quite flat out fast, although we have to slow down quite a bit for the bends as, unlike the man-made DH trails, these are obviously multi-use for walkers and horses too! Tell I've been riding a Singlespeed to often, I seem to forget I have gears sometimes!

Here's a descent with some interesting steps, well, interesting if you're riding a hardtail! :lol:

This is a riding mate Paul on Death Valley. That's my favourite descent in Malvern. The video doesn't justify just how rocky and rough it is at the start and, of course, how steep some of the sections are!

Video never shows the real deal :roll:
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 am

Yesterday nightride - about an hour on the HT. I couldn't see shite on the ridge. Practiced braking with my index fingers (rather than the middle ones)...I nearly didn't stop :shock:
downhillingdemon

Postby bob_summers » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:35 pm

really enjoyed the vids. what fantastic quality - i know nowt about helmet cams.. what are you using? and you're right, it's impossible to capture the full hairiness on camera!

i wanna do the run with steps, have been seeking out stuff like that since i got a full sus! have you seen that vid with the athertons riding an urban course in brasil? i think it's the top result if you search youtube for mtb downhill.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby TMH » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:32 pm

The videos from the weekend jaunts totally rocked DHD!
TMH

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:45 am

Cheers guys - must admit, we are so shocked by the quality - the videos have lost LOADS of quality on upload, it looks amazing when it has been downloaded from the camera straight to the laptops.

It is one of these babies....

It's pretty tiny and sits neatly on a helmet mount/goggle strap. Only cost £200, which is pretty good for the quality and size.

There is a whole thread about it here which will be worth a read if you are looking at getting one.

@bob - yeah, I bet you're really noticing the change to FS! I started out riding a FS and then got a HT after. That was a bit of a shock to start :shock: Now I ride the HT's as much as possible and then, when I get back on the FS everything feels SO easy - it's amazing (and dangerous heh heh) how they just let you blat over everything without thinking too much.

I love that Atherton vid - all the urban DH courses are definitely my idea of fun! I'd love a go one day. :D

This morning - 3.2 mile run
downhillingdemon

Postby Crash » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:36 pm

Good job on your work outs DHD and really cool videos! (but what is that on the left side of your helmet cam?)
Demolisher of faces and my enemies beards (no matter where they are located) since 2002.

www.PCRM.org
Click here to help homeless animals.

All truth goes through 3 stages - 1st it's ridiculed. Then it's violently opposed. Finally it's accepted as self-evident.
Crash

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs