Long distance is where it's at - fact!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:22 pm

Bit of riding yesterday on the SS

Managed to lift weights this morning for the first time in just about forever.

Free squats as warm up followed by
Front squats
Shoulder press (strict)
Press-ups
Core work (sit-ups, little bigs, abs)

Frick my legs are still like jelly :shock:
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby runner » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:03 pm

What does ss mean?

you'll probably lift me with the bar I can lift.

:s
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Another ss blast tonight - with very sore squatted legs. Made bunnyhop practice painful!

[quote="runner"]What does ss mean?

you'll probably lift me with the bar I can lift.

:s

It means singlespeed - like, there is no gear shifters, just the chain and whatever ratio I decide to pick. Cheaper option and easier maintenance - great for blasting round town :)
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:01 am

OMG MY LEGS ARE SO FECKIN SORE :shock:

Here's a couple of pics from Saturday. Note to self: get body armour that fits so you no longer look like the incredible hulk :lol:

Too much workin this week - doesn't look like I'm gonna get any decent XC rides in at all :?
downhillingdemon

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:35 pm

Hey, last time I rode that bridge I got to the end of the down ramp and nearly bottled the drop off. :oops:
You didn't even touch the down ramp ! 8)
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby benzilla » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:03 am

Yeah, must have been going fast, looks like a pretty huge air!
benzilla

Postby downhillingdemon » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:28 pm

[quote="benzilla"]Yeah, must have been going fast, looks like a pretty huge air!

It is a bit of a drop (bigger than it looks in the pic - prolly around 4-5ft ish??) - the landing is somewhere near the rocky bit on the pic. Johnstuff and I were discussing it whilst pushing back up to get some video - you can't really see from the pic, but if the boards weren't there it'll be quite a big gap jump. Just shows how much it is a mental thing, as I doubt I'd have been flying off it quite so carelessly if the penalty for failure had been falling in the gap! :lol:

Right then, race update!

Well, I was VERY brave and managed to race. I hated it :lol:

Funny thing was, the trail was probably my worst kind of trail to ride - one I didn't know with slippy wet roots that twisted in an out of the trees BUT I was riding it pretty well in practice and surprised myself with how I was not flapping at all - I was seriously pleased! And the rest of the trails I do know I was flying down and feeling great on the bike.

But when it came to the first timed run down it all went to shite. The first run nerves, people everywhere watching, I couldn't get my feet in the right place on the pedals, cameras etc meant I really hated it. My time wasn't great, but I never expected it to be on my first race day. I think the frustrating thing was that I was actually riding pretty well so the race times just weren't reflecting what I was capable of riding (even over the wet, rooty stuff I'm normally terrible at). So I decided to have another go and see if I could at least better my own time. Spent a bit of time running the easier red trails with Johnstuff (which was as awesome fun as ever!) whilst waiting for the clock to tick down to second race run time, and then had a final race run........it was as bad as the first! I just couldn't get it together for that specific time period, mostly because yet again my feet weren't in that 'sweet spot' on the pedals and it was really aggrevating me. But overall I just hated the pressure all the way down - cameras, people watching etc. If anything the second was worse than the first! Also, it was great when Johnstuff was around so I had a bit of company, but once he went, it was a really lonely place to be - I know they say that 'everyone is friendly' when racing, but actually, I found most of the guys just stood and stared at me rather than saying anything. I just felt pretty intimidated by the whole thing.

Still, I'm pretty pleased with how well I was riding when I wasn't racing and I'm glad I tried it. A mate of mine summed up perfectly why I'd probably never make a racer..

[quote]Its not the result that is important its how you ride, so you could come last but with a very controlled and flowing run and you'd be happier than first but with a sketchy uncontrolled run

Never a truer word spoken! It's not the actual time that's relevant, it's the fact that I know I wasn't able to ride anywhere near as well as I was capable of because I was too distracted by the pressure. Still, I'll let you know my placings when they post the results.

At least I looked like a racer for a day :lol:

(pic taken by SXbegins)

I'd probably still be tempted to do a downhill enduro - where you ride the same trail for an extended period of time, or another 12/24 hour race....I was really nervous when I started my 12 hour race last year, but after the first 30 minutes I just settled into it and really started to enjoy the challenge.
downhillingdemon

Postby purple_mog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:33 pm

well we still want to know the times when they come out, and I still think its awesome and brave that you raced at all, so there :wink:
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:56 pm

[quote="purple_mog"]well we still want to know the times when they come out, and I still think its awesome and brave that you raced at all, so there :wink:

Heh heh - well the times are up here

As you can see, I came first, and last as I was the only girl :lol:

But overall it was a dire time for me - which is unsurprising as I knew I was super slow. On the otherhand I guess if I had ridden as well as I was in practice and yesterday, I'd prolly have been somewhere a bit closer to the average (guys) time.
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:00 pm

Right then, wee bit of training to catch up on. You may have noticed I have yet again failed to get in any decent XC riding, however, I have managed two weight training sessions in as many weeks and I have considerably improved my diet (can't say I feel that much better for it, but I do seem to have less wrinkles :lol: )

Last week - tbh work took over and I didn't have time to ride after Monday. Although this pissed me off big time, it was probably a good thing as my legs were SSSSOOOOOO sore from squatting on Monday right up til the Saturday!

So Saturday race day - away from the two race runs, I got a decent amount of DH training done and was on the hill for about 6 hours (that includes the chatting and eating that went on!)

Sunday - met some friends back up at the DH trails for another 5 hours of riding.

Monday - Got some weight training in
Front Squats - lots of working sets
Press-ups - lots
Abs - very few, got too hungry after all the squats

Tuesday - about an hour XC (with, ok, some pushing) on the hills.
downhillingdemon

Postby Johnboy74 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:30 pm

Way to go Demon for doing the race! Representing for the girls and vegans! :)
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby VeganGraham » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:29 am

[quote]... I'd prolly have been somewhere a bit closer to the average (guys) time

But you're supposed to be slower than average. That's why they have seperate classes for women and over 40s to give us a chance. :P

First race, least favourite surface, little support, you didn't ride as well as you might. No big deal.

Just an idea. You've got friends who have done other events and will therefore know the exact courses used and start & finish lines.
Go back to a course that suits you better and do an unofficial timed run without the pressure. See how it compares with the race results and where you would have finished if you had entered.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:44 pm

Tonight - 10 mile urban ride round brum on the SS. It was awesome, I saw two planes, a train and a....

deer!

In the middle of the city! 8)

[quote="Big Good Wolf"][quote]... I'd prolly have been somewhere a bit closer to the average (guys) time

But you're supposed to be slower than average. That's why they have seperate classes for women and over 40s to give us a chance. :P

First race, least favourite surface, little support, you didn't ride as well as you might. No big deal.

Just an idea. You've got friends who have done other events and will therefore know the exact courses used and start & finish lines.
Go back to a course that suits you better and do an unofficial timed run without the pressure. See how it compares with the race results and where you would have finished if you had entered.

I'm not too worried about the actual time per se, more that I couldn't get it right when it mattered! Although I do think that your suggestion would be a great idea to monitor progress....sometimes it feels like I have totally stalled....and then remember this time last year I couldn't even jump over an ant hill with flat pedals :lol:

I may still race again, now I'm over the initial frustration of being beaten by my nerves....I'll see how it goes....
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:08 pm

Great ride over at the Long Mynd with some riding buddies! Pure unadulterated XC on the HT.....was 17 miles with approx 2900 ft of climbing. Not the longest ride in the world, but more than enough to welcome me back to the world of XC. I felt like I was gonna blow-up at the start, but settled into the pace by the middle of the ride and only started to really feel it toward the end. I tend to forget these guys haven't stopped XC riding whilst I've been pushing on the DH courses - I can't resist chasing the one in front, which nearly resulted in me bringing up my breakfast at the top of the earlier climbs :roll:

Although I'm obviously not as fit as I was 18 months ago, having way more skills certainly makes up for it.....and when I do start to tire, I don't loose the plot as the basic MTB skills seem to be second nature now....so I can still tackle the descents. :)

Hopefully I'll get some more XC group rides in over the next few months. There's nothing like riding with a great bunch of guys to drag my fitness up 8)
downhillingdemon

Postby downhillingdemon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 am

Well, work and commuting has been absolutely frikkin shite recently and has got right in the way of riding. By this morning I was seething with anger and realised I just had to get out and do something. I didn't have the time to cycle, so I ran. First time in months, but it wasn't as hard as I was expecting. I guess I'm lucky as I am very good at running slowly :lol: Seriously! It's a good thing when you've not run for a while!

I just had a quick look at map my run, and it was about 3.25 miles (probably give or take a bit, it's difficult to get it accurate on them mapping thingies, but it was definitely more than 3 mile) - took just under 30 minutes.

Feel so much better now!

Oooh, and here's a quick bit of video that one of the guys got on Saturday.....as you will see, it was pure XC fun on some swoopy natural trails. He even managed to sneakily get me on video (I'm the one in the red and white shirt about 1:13 minutes in)
downhillingdemon

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs