6 hours of hill repeats

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: 6 hours of hill repeats

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri May 30, 2014 10:47 am

Well done ninearms! What a fantastic event.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby ninearms » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:37 pm

Getting really slack...

Tuesday 27/05/14
Bradgate Park
7.6km / 248m

Thursday 29/05/14
Bradgate Park
7.7km / 240m

Sunday 01/06/14
Old John - Broombriggs - Beacon Hill - Bradgate
15.1km / 446m

An "avoid the cows" run. Cows like to kill people at this time of year, which certainly encourages you to pick up the pace when you have to run through 3 fields of the buggers.

Thursday 05/06/14
Bradgate Park
7.2km / 238m

Saturday 07/06/14
Cropston reservoir - out and back
11.4km / 157m

Sunday 08/06/14
Bradgate Park
12.6km / 425m

Legs feeling a bit tired - spent 7 hours walking round London on Saturday afternoon.

Tuesday 10/06/14
Bradgate Park
8.3km / 264m

Really nice sunset run in my Trail Gloves. Fast and easy.

In other news, I entered Transvulcania again...
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby silver » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:53 pm

So, 11 months to go...
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk
silver

Postby ninearms » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:13 am

silver wrote:So, 11 months to go...

Indeed, although first of all there's the small matter of the 3x3000 Ultra to deal with, and that's longer than TV and only 3.5 months away.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Thursday 12/06/14

Bradgate Park
8.4km / 292m

Morning outing. Legs a bit dead.

Anstey out and back
8km / 73m

Evening run on the road. Nothing exciting, legs still a bit unresponsive.

Sunday 15/06/14

Home - Bradgate Park - Home
15.7km / 399m

First km and last 3km on the road (saw a big hawk carrying off a snake, from about 10m away, which was pretty damn cool). Some of the trails are really overgrown with nettles and thorn bushes now, which makes things interesting. Thought I try out wearing a pair of my Skechers road shoes (the cushier ones I usually only wear for recovery runs) for the whole route for a change seeing as it's dry underfoot, which was surprisingly effective. Definitely appreciated the softness on the rocky downs, and as they're only 220g they're actually more enjoyable off road than my Merrells, which are a bit dead-feeling. I might take them to Tenerife in a couple of days seeing as I'll have a few kms of road to clear from the apartment before I hit the trails, and the trails themselves look pretty tame. They'll certainly be a reasonable stop-gap until I decide what I'm going to replace my trashed S-Lab Sense with (arguing over a warranty claim at the moment as the midsole collapsed after 120 miles...).

ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:28 am

Slacking...

Tuesday 17/06/14

Bradgate Park
8.5km / 233m

Quick pre-holiday outing round the park.

Wednesday 18/06/14

La Paz - El Ancón
9.3km / 290m

On holiday in Tenerife. Handily the coastal path started about 500m from our apartment, so it was easy to get out for a run. Late afternoon run to explore that section of path (there is also a coastal path to the south of the town). Temp about 26C, but it felt hotter due to the closeness to the equator. Shirt off and short shorts plus my new handheld sorted me out. Paved foot/bike path for the first km or so, then the path drops in and out of the first barranco, after which it's a combination of battered old roads, gravel, and technical single track. Ran out to the 3rd beach along, which was deserted apart from a couple of surfers thanks to it being awkward to get to and the last 5ft of steps having collapsed.

Thursday 19/06/14

La Paz - Vista Paraiso
9.2km / 423m

Another late afternoon run. Same run as yesterday, except instead of heading down to the beach I turned off earlier and headed up the zig zags to the cafe at Vista Paraiso. Some steep climbing up sharp volcanic rock leading to the clifftop viewpoint at the cafe, where a sign warns people not to use the path because of the danger of landslides and falling off the cliff... Took a bit of a tumble on the way down and shredded my left leg and arm.

Friday 20/06/14

La Paz - Punta Brava - Los Roques - Gordejuela
15.3km / 413m

Headed out in the morning to check out the coastal path in the other direction. This involved running down to and through the town before joining the coastal path at Los Roques where the path continues on for about 20km. Wandered around the narrow streets of Punta Brava a bit before I relocated the main road, then behind a hotel to join the coastal path. Really fantastic running along narrow single track cut into the cliff side, with lots of ups and down, twists and turns, and inaccessible beaches. I eventually reached an old pumping station perched on the side of the barranco overlooking the sea, with a wooden bridge. Having only my handheld with me I turned round here and headed back the same way, managing to avoid the roads in town by running along the top of the sea wall. Legs felt great, climbing felt mega easy, and my decision to wear my Skechers road shoes (the beefier ones, though still only 210g) turned out perfectly.

Saturday 21/06/14

La Paz - Los Roques - Mirador San Pendro
15.7km / 667m

Same route as yesterday, but carried on past the old pumping station towards Rambla de Castro and the lookout at San Pedro. Again. more fantastic running along the cliff sides and across ravines, culminating in a nice climb up to San Pedro. Really pleased with how easy the climbing felt - some of these I'd have power hiked a couple of months ago but now they're an effortless canter. Ran down to some old abandoned buildings on the way back to add some extra kms (I also couldn't resist the steps snaking down the cliff face). Back the same way but stopped at the first beach in town where Caren and Luka were and got some cold water and massage therapy in by getting battered by the hefty waves.

Sunday 22/06/14

La Paz - Los Roques
11.3km / 251m

Out and back to the first section of coastal path. Legs feeling a bit dead and I had a blister that was causing me some issues so didn't go any further.

Tuesday 24/06/14

La Paz - El Bolullo
6.9km / 223m

Leaving today, but managed to squeeze in a short run out along the northern coastal path to the beach at El Bolullo. Legs feeling good again.

Thursday 26/06/14

Old John
7.4km / 276m

Back home now. Just a short on to stretch my legs and test out my new Black Diamond Ultra Distance poles on the climbs. Very promising - significant drop in effort level with no drop in speed. Looking forward to giving them a proper run out in the Lakes in the next month or so when we go up to recce the 3x3000 route. Should definitely come in handy on the climb up to Helvellyn (+730m in 4.4km). Still need to get a bigger race vest...
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:00 pm

Friday 27/06/14

Old John
7.2km / 295m

Sunset hill session with poles again. Amazed at how consistent the pace was on each rep - literally +/-1s total time on each one.

ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Sunday 29/06/14

Old John
20km / 646m

2.5 hours of pole practice up and down the same 2 hills. Legs felt pretty fresh at the end, triceps pretty fried.
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Monday 30/06/14

A) Press
30/5
35/3
40/2
42/5x2
42/12

B) Back squat
60/5
75/3
85/2
92/5x2
92/10

C1) Chins
BW/2-3-5-2-3-5

C2) Pushups
BW/5-10-15-5-10-15

D1) Band pushdowns
Blue/20x3

D2) Fat grip curls
x20x3

E) Rollouts
x20
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Wednesday 02/07/14

Home to Bradgate
7.6km / 93m

Started work a bit later today so took the opportunity to get a few kms in after breakfast. Nothing exciting, just a quick run to the edge of the park and back.

Later on:

A) Floor press
40/5
45/3
50/2
55/5x2
55/16

B) Deadlift
70/5
90/3
110/2
130/8

C1) Chins
BW/2-3-5-2-3-5

C2) Pushups
BW/5-10-15-5-10-15

D1) Band pushdowns
Blue/20x3

D2) Fat grip curls
x20x3

E) Rollouts
x10x2

Thursday 03/07/14

Home to Bradgate
8km/94m

Friday 04/07/14

Bradgate Park
8.2km / 233m

Saturday 05/07/14

Reservoir loop + Old John
13.3km / 161m

Sunday 06/07/14

Bradgate Park via Groby Pool
23.4km / 635m

Legs feeling tired on the climbs, but ok on the descents. Only a couple of short hills today, the rest were long drags up from the bottom of the park.

Tired and hungry!
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:46 pm

Bit of a weird training week as Caren was away mid week so I couldn't get in any runs until Friday.

Friday 11/07/14

AM

Bradgate Park via Groby Pool
12.8km / 320m

Caren had the day off so I could get in a longer run than usual. Second km of the route is through nettles and thorn bushes, so not runnable unless you're happy with getting your legs shredded and stung to bits, but after that it's all good runnable stuff. Couple of trips up Old John once I got to then park then back home the same way. Decent enough run.

PM

Bradgate Park
8.8km / 283m

Legs felt dead but data suggests it was a better run that it felt. Annoyingly missed a PB on Old John by 3 seconds when I didn't even run it very hard (power hiked the final push).

Saturday 12/07/14

Anstey out and back
10.1km / 87m

Quick out and back before driving to my parents'. Legs feeling heavy.

Sunday 13/07/14

Anstey - Cropston - Rothley - Quorn
32.7km / 537m

Easy pace on the road just to get some time on my feet. Legs felt tired for the first hour but freshened up after that.

Nice weekend total of just under 65km.
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Tuesday 15/07/14

Old John long repeats
8.1km / 322m

A bit of evening pole practice up and down the long drag to Old John - roughly 1km long with 100m climbing, 20% gradient at the start, leveling off to around 5% in the middle, then a final push at around 15%. Catch my breath at the top then let gravity take me back down to the start. I really do love descending when my feet aren't smashed to bits (this will not happen at TV 2.0 - plans are afoot).
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:05 am

Friday 18/07/14

Bradgate Park
9.1km / 270m

Rolling figure of 8 through the park with Old John tacked on for good measure. 1s off my PB for Old John and I power hiked the last third, and my 3rd fastest time on the Memorial Fell Climb which I didn't even push.

Saturday 19/07/14

Anstey - Cropston - Rothley out and back
15.7km / 181m

Managed to squeeze this one in during the only break in the rain all day. Still in the early 20s and humidity at 88% when I started (up to about 95% by the time I finished). Calf feeling a bit clunky.

Sunday 20/07/14

Anstey - Cropston - Mountsorrel - Quorn - Woodhouse - Woodhouse Eaves - Beacon Hill - out and back
39.3km / 645m

On the road again. Last third a bit of a grind due to one of the major disadvantages of running through posh country villages - for some reason they seem to have an aversion to shops, so I was rationing fluid on the return leg all the way to Anstey where I grabbed an ice cold and much appreciated Coke. Solid massage with the Thumper and rolling pin when I got home, compression sleeves on, legs elevated, lying down most of the afternoon - legs feeling pretty damn good today, with only some slight DOMS in my feet.

Another weekend ~65km. Less mileage next weekend, but more climbing as Dan and I are running the Wharfedale Three Peaks (35km, 1100m).

ninearms
Perked Member

Previous

Return to Training Logs