6 hours of hill repeats

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: 6 hours of hill repeats

Postby ninearms » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:31 am

Bulk update again.

Wednesday 06/08/14

A) Back squat
60/5
70/5
81/5
92/10
70/20

B) Band TKE
Blue/50x3

C) PUP Plank
2 mins x 2

Friday 08/08/14

(AM)
Bradgate Park
8km / 283m

(PM)
Bradgate Park
8.3km / 263m

Saturday 09/08/14
Village out and back
4.8km / 67m

Planned to go out for 90 mins but I had no legs whatsoever, so decided to just do a short easy run to hopefully wake things up for a longer outing on Sunday.

Sunday 10/08/14
Anstey - Cropston - Rothley - Cossington - Watermead
29.8km / 314m

Pouring rain the whole time, but had my Kamleika on so stayed warm at least (got drenched before I even put it on). Really enjoyable run though; quiet roads, mist, explored some new areas including a nice bike path along the canal to Watermead, a big park with lots of lakes. Misjudged the turnaround so a bit shorter than planned, but I got some good work in either way.

Monday 18/08/14

A) Press
30/5
35/3
38/3
43/3
49/9
38/15

B) Deadlift
70/3
95/3
108/3
122/10

C) Chins
BW/5x3

E) PUP Plank
2 mins

Tuesday 12/08/14
Bradgate Park
6.5km / 170m

Legs a bit tired at first, then went over on my ankle so had to walk that off and running was a bit tentative after that. Stuck to the lower level paths before heading up to Old John at the end. Really love that last descent - about 1.5km, multiple route choices, comfortable gradient.

Wednesday 13/08/14

A) Back squat
60/5
76/3
86/3
97/10
76/20

B) Chins
BW/8x3

C) Fat grip curls
x20x3

Band pushdowns
Red/50x2
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Thursday 14/08/14
Bradgate Park
7.8km / 233m

Sunset run in the park again. Legs feeling good. Max concentration descent in the dark to finish things off.

Friday 15/08/14
Home to Old John
12.4km / 340m

Luka's birthday this weekend so unlikely to get any runs in. Squeezed this one in while Luka was at his friend's. Decent enough park bench run.

Monday 18/08/14

A) Press
30/5
36/3
41/5
46/3
51/8
41/13

B) Deadlift
70/3
90/3
101/5
115/3
128/9

Tuesday 19/08/14
Bradgate Park
7.7km / 215m

Great twilight run culminating in a descent by headtorch accompanied by this beauty:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDy76dJQVvw

Just taken delivery of some NB1210 Leadvilles which I got cheap and will probably be my shoe of choice for Transvulcania next year, and maybe the 3x3000 in October if they perform well on the recce next weekend.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Friday 22/08/14 - AM
Bradgate Park
8.7km / 300m

Basically a test run for my new Leadvilles, so picking as many different types of terrain as possible. First impressions are that they are pretty damn good and will probably be awesome on a really long day. Going out again tonight for a second test, but it's looking likely that I'll wear them next weekend when we do our 56km / 2800m recce of most of the 3x3 Ultra route (i.e. skipping the first and last summits because we already know most of those 2 sections).

Lots of deer out this morning.

ninearms
Perked Member

6 hours of hill repeats

Postby ninearms » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Friday 22/08/14
Bradgate Park
7.6km / 275m

Evening run to test the Leadvilles again. Mostly by headlamp so not quick but a good opportunity to test confidence in some new shoes.

Saturday 23/08/14
Home -Bradgate - Reservoir
[15.3km / 200m

Legs a bit sore but a decent run.

Sunday 24/08/14
Surrounding villages
35.5km / 522m

Surprisingly good figure of 8 though the surrounding villages, just deciding where to go next when I met a junction and not thinking of any particular distance. Ended up running quite a lot of it along the canal and lake shores. Legs feel pretty good considering the 67km weekend.

ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Wednesday 27/08/14
Old John
3.4km / 115m

Quick 6 day taper involving one quick run up and down Old John in the dark, and nothing else.

Saturday 30/08/14
3x3 Ultra recce
60.5km / 3019m

Long day out in the hill checking out most of the 3x3 course before race day. Up at 5am, out the door by 6, in Keswick at 8, change shoes, sort out gear, then a leisurely walk to the lake to be on the way for 9. We had a few aims for the day: obviously there's the training benefits of a long day in the hills, but we also wanted to make sure we had the navigation sorted at a few key points, to test out full race kit over a substantial time period, and also to see what the terrain was like in those areas we hadn't visited before.

Leg 1: Keswick to Seathwaite
An easy start to the route, beginning with some nice lakeshore forest trails followed by a short minor road section up to Ashness Bridge before picking up the trail to Watendlath. We took this section very easy, and walked the short uphill road section (no point rushing at this stage). The trail to Watendlath is a nice runnable track along the edge of the valley with trees to the right and a beck to the left. Upon reaching the tarn and tiny hamlet of Watendlath we pulled out the poles for the first proper climb of the day. Once at the top of the climb it was a really nice runnable descent through ferns towards Rosthwaite (we made a brief navigational error here, but only by a few hundred metres and we knew exactly where we went wrong so no big deal). Another short road section through the village (good to note some public toilets here, although I suspect they will be locked up when we arrive on race day given the 5am start), before picking up the track behind Longthwaite YHA and then the non-descript track to Seathwaite (more toilets here, but again will probably be locked on race day). We'll probably be running most (if not all) of this leg in the dark on race day, so it was good to get a feel for it.

Leg 2: Seathwaite to Esk Hause
My favourite leg of the route, in part because it ends at my favourite place in the entire Lakes, but also because it's a long, winding climb on rocky but not too technical ground, surrounded by some of the most rugged peaks in England. Along Grains Gill to Stockley bridge before crossing over and starting the long climb to Styhead. Our approach for the day was to hike any climbs and jog the downs and flats, and it was here we really began to notice how much easier the climbs were with poles even if we pushed hard. Definitely going to be a big leg saver on race day, and for Transvulcania next year. A couple of short stops on the way up to attend to some chafing issues (don't forget to apply anti-chafing cream and then go on a 60km outing in shorts you bought a few hours ago) and to restock our water supplies (the collapsible cup I picked up proving very handy). From Styhead the trail branches off in several directions (on to Scafell Pike, up Great Gable, up the nasty rubble filled gully of Aaron Slack that we climbed last October), and on towards Sprinkling Tarn. The latter was to be our choice, with a brief stop to make sure we knew where the turnoff for the Corridor Route to Scafell Pike was as this would be where we'd turn off on race day.

One of the few photos I took: Looking back down to Styhead from just below Sprinkling Tarn

From Sprinkling Tarn it's a fantastic winding and undulating rocky trail round the imposing bulk of Great End before finally reaching Esk Hause where numerous paths from the surrounding peaks all diverge. It was pretty cold up here as the wind was blowing at around 35-40mph, but I was still OK in a base layer vest, T shirt and windproof.

Leg 3: Esk Hause to Wythburn
From Esk Hause the route descends down to Angle Tarn (pretty steep and rocky, and probably a menace in the wet) before crossing some wet and boggy ground on the way to Stake Pass. If the cloud comes down on race day this section will be tricky as the path is not well defined and the terrain largely featureless. At Stake Pass we stopped to try and work out our route to High Raise, as the map clearly didn't match what was on the ground, but we located the path a few hundred metres north of where it was on the map. There then followed a stiff climb up the west flank of High Raise (poles much appreciated), punctuated by another water stop, before topping out on the broad and featureless summit plateau. The last time I was up here it was in thick fog and we wandered round in circles for about 45 minutes trying to get off the summit before finally emerging from the fog a hundred metres or so from Sergeant Man. This time it was clear but very cold and windy, so we hunkered down in the summit shelter for a few minutes to eat before heading into the unknown down to Wythburn.

On the map the descent to Wythburn looks like a nice, pleasant runnable descent apart from the one area ominously labelled "The Bog", and with a clear path almost throughout. In reality it's a 5km long slippery quagmire of marshland and bogs with no path to be seen whatsoever. So a very slow descent in part also due to the endless stopping and trying to locate the path that appeared so clearly on the map (turns out we were pretty much on it the whole time, and bang on the race route). On race day, with this knowledge in hand, we should be a lot quicker through here. Eventually the swampfest petered out and we had a km or so of decent running down to the road at Wythburn.

Leg 4: Wythburn to Keswick
Upon reaching Wythburn we were both feeling pretty good, although conscious of the time taken so far and starting to reassess our projected finish time for the day. From here was the last big ascent of the day, the climb up to Helvellyn with a beastly 740m to gain in the space of 3.8km (on race day we will still have the big final climb up Skiddaw to do with 60km in our legs). Another water stop on the way up the pretty relentless climb, but it's good underfoot and at least you can see the summit even if it does seem to never get any closer. By the time we hit the top it was 6pm and we still had just under 20km to cover, so it was clear we'd be finishing in the dark. After a short stop to take in food, a couple of gels and some caffeine, and chat to a couple of guys who were also checking out the course, we headed off on the final stretch.

The wind had really picked up by now, making it very cold but surprisingly it didn't affect movement at all. From Helvellyn it was some really fantastic running on broad rocky tracks along a long, rolling grassy ridge, hitting 8 summits along the way before dropping down the nasty and steep north face of Clough Head (45% gradient, no path...). At the bottom of Clough Head we stopped to assess our route for the final section and to get out our headlamps and we had about 10 mins of twilight left before it was completely dark. The start of this final section took way longer than it should thanks to taking a lower route than we should have done and having to climb fences to get back on track. Eventually we located the old railway line through the woods for a nice flat 8km final stretch through old tunnels and over lots of bridges before finally returning to Keswick. 14 hours since we left the car, 60km and 3000m in our legs, but surprisingly not ruined.

Route profile of the day

Route profile of the entire course. Ouch.

So a very successful outing. Kit choice worked out perfectly, route successfully navigated (after comparing our route to the official route we actually made all the correct choices), legs not completely ruined afterwards (hardly any soreness in the following days and I'd have been training again on Monday were it not for feeling like I was going to barf all day and crapping my guts out). We also decided on a possible training day prior to Transvulcania next year, involving repeats of the climb from Wythburn to Helvellyn which would get us 4400m ascent in the space of 45km. Gnarly.
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Friday 05/09/14
Bradgate
7.7km / 238m

Took a few days off after the weekend's big outing, so this was my first run in 6 days. Legs ok, but felt bloated and had no lungs.

Sunday 07/09/14
Mountsorrel out and back
22.4km / 256m

Surprisingly good run. I guess short runs on easy terrain should feel easy after 60km of rock and bogs. Good to get the legs turning over with minimal effort.

Monday 08/09/14

A) Press
30/5
36/5
41/5
47/10
36/15

B) Deadlift
70/5
90/5
103/5
117/5

C) Fat grip curls
x20x3

D) Pushdowns
Red/50x3

Tuesday 09/09/14
Work - Anstey - Home
11.2km / 136m

New working hours so I get to run home at 1pm rather than have to run around in the dark. Took a short diversion via the next village to get a few extra kms in.

Wednesday 10/09/14
Work - Home
8km / 115m

A bit tired...

Later on:

A) Back squat
60/5
67/3
72/5
83/5
94/12
72/20

Wasn't expected that. Thought my legs would be a bit tired but that was surprisingly comfortable (as comfortable as 20 rep squats can be anyway).

B1) Chins
x5x3

B2) Pushups
x10x3

D1) Pushdowns
x50x3

D2) Fat grip curls
x20x3
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:46 pm

Friday 12/09/14
Bradgate Park
8.1km / 232m

Saturday 13/09/14
Rothley out and back
20km / 213m

Meh, ran after lunch, feeling sluggish and bloated.

Sunday 14/09/14
Beacon Hill via Swithland
38km / 873m

Last proper long run before tapering. Important not to run it too hard and trash my legs/CNS so decided to do a strict 10:1 run/walk. Took a different route on the way out and then the usual route back. Nice day, and good to explore some more of the local area.

Monday 15/09/14

A) Press
30/5
38/3
44/3
54/6: misload!
49/6: what it should have been, but already taken the edge off
38/12

B) Deadlift
75/5
96/3
110/3
124/10

C) Abs

Tuesday 16/09/14
Work - Home
7.8km / 124m

Wednesday 17/09/14

Back squat
60/3
70/3
77/3
89/3
100/5

Thursday 18/09/14
Bradgate
7.7km / 249m

Pre-work run just after sunrise. Foggy start to the day, lovely and quiet, just me and the deer. Legs feeling good.

Sunday 21/09/14
Old John long repeats
20.4km / 910m

Simple session - there's a 100m climb over 1km that finishes on top of Old John: hike up hard with poles, run down, repeat. Some decent ascent for such a flat area - you just have to find the right hill.
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:51 pm

Haven't updated in nearly 2 months and still only halfway down the page...

Still training, just haven't found the time to log stuff. A summary of the last month or so:

- DNFed the 3x3000. Horrendous weather conditions, fell in a river that wasn't supposed to be there, waded through lots of knee to waist deep water, almost got stuck in a chest deep bog, hands so cold at one point I could barely keep hold of my poles, fell more times than I can remember including a proper head over heels tumble down a hillside that left me having to climb back up to retrieve my poles. Miraculously uninjured and physically OK, but called it a day at 52km as my head wasn't in it anymore and I wasn't in the mood for a 10pm finish. Still in two minds about that decision, but what's done is done.
- Took a week off then immediately started training again for my second shot at Transvulcania. Long term aim is to get my weekly mileage up to around the 120km mark, but short term I'm just concentrating on running more often with the aim of running 8 times over 6 days. I'm also doing more road work at the moment (I'm only hitting the trails once or twice a week at present, plus a few trips up and down Old John in the middle of my Sunday long run). Trying to get in as many hills as possible on the roads, especially some long downhills.
- Signed up for a couple more races as training runs: last week I signed up for the Frostbite 30, which is on December 6th and pretty much 50km over very runnable terrain unless the ice sets in again, and I've also signed up for the Rombald Stride which is about 40km and a bit hillier. I might also do the Charnwood Marathon which is a trail race over a lot of the ground I normally train on, so it'll be a good way to get a long run in without having to think about food/fluids too much.

Last week:

Mon - Strength work
Tue - 10km/172m easy, road, with fast finish over last 2.5km
Wed - 8km/157m easy, road
Thu - 8.3km/304m easy, on trails before work
Fri - 8km/316m easy, on trails in the dark and rain. Supposed to do downhill pickups but conditions too dodgy.
Sat - Off
Sun - 25.8km/805m, mostly road, in the fog

Total: 60.2km/1757m
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby ninearms » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Another bulk update...

Week 17/11/14 - 23/11/14
Tues - 10.2km / 220m, easy with fast finish
Wed - 8.1 / 214m, easy
Thu - 8km / 152m, easy
Fri - 8km / 299m, easy with downhill pickups, on trails in the dark before work

Week 24/11/14 - 30/11/14
Mon - 18.9km / 743m on trails
Tue - 10km / 192m, easy with fast finish
Wed - 8.1km / 167m, easy
Thu - 10km / 173m, easy
Fri - 8km / 298m, easy, on trails in the dark before work. Really foggy so no pickups.
Sun - 30.8km / 513m, road

Week 01/12/14 - 07/12/14 - 1 week "taper"
Wed - 5.1km / 72m, easy
Sat - Frostbite 30. 54.9km / 1617m, 7:13. Good race on a tough but enjoyable course. Ran with Dan pretty much the whole way bar a short section of single track where we got split up, treating it as a social training run and not worrying about time. New course this year (so it's no longer 30 miles), so you start off with a hilly 16km loop back to the first aid station, then a 6km section that starts flat along the river then starts to climb before hitting the start of the second loop and a long climb to the the second aid station at 33km (remote, cold and windy up here), then the final 21 ish kms back to the start. Great course, lots of runnable terrain but some good climbs too. Sunny for the first half, cold and foggy for the second, and a nice finish in the dark to top it off. Best I've ever felt after that sort of distance, back running again on Tuesday.
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby silver » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm

The Frostbite sounds like a good run. Unlike the 3x3000, that sounded horrendous!
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk
silver

Previous

Return to Training Logs