veganlisa trains for Tarawera

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: veganlisa runs to the trails

Postby veganlisa » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Did the race loop yesterday (about 11 miles). I was having an off day and really struggling during the run/walk. Fell again, left my DNA all over the trail, hurt my knee....sigh

Hope to attempt something again by Wednesday if recovered enough.
veganlisa

Postby veganlisa » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:57 pm

My knee is not quite ready for running yet, so I'm going to try a long trail hike tomorrow to see how it goes. Hopefully I'll be back tomorrow with good news to report. :)
veganlisa

Postby veganlisa » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Knee held up (barely) for a 10 mile trail hike this morning. I was pretty sore for the last 2.5 mile loop. It took me about 2h 50min. I was hoping to go twice the distance, but my knee said no. :( Hopefully the recovery won't take too terribly long.
veganlisa

Postby veganlisa » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:32 am

Tried the same 10 mile hike again (with a little running). It was late afternoon instead of morning this time, and it was hot, hot, hot (91 F, 32.8 C). Still a little sore, but better time: 2hr 36 min. Will try for more on Sat or Sun.
veganlisa

Postby veganlisa » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Mon - 2hr 45 min hike on hilly trails with small stretches of running

Wed - 3hr 25 min hike on hilly trails with small stretches of running

Knee and calf muscles felt very sore on Thurs and Fri

Was planning to attempt another long hike/run today, but thunderstorms got in the way. I think I will have to pick another race goal due to my knee injury. It doesn't look like I will be ready for a hilly 50k (even with mostly hiking) by July 14th.
veganlisa

Postby veganlisa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:57 am

Sun - 3 hr 51 min hike on hilly trail with about 20 min of running. Got some major blisters, but so far my knee doesn't feel too bad.
veganlisa

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:46 pm

oh no! What have you decided about the race? Are you going to pull out?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby veganlisa » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:32 am

I guess I haven't officially made the decision yet, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to make the cutoff time with mostly walking. I haven't been able to run much with the knee injury. I'll try another long hike/run this weekend to see how it goes.

Tonight: 1 hr 25 min hike on hilly trail with a little bit of running. It was unbelievably HOT! Tomorrow it's supposed to be hotter. Forecast is 100 F with a heat index of 105. :shock:

If I survive that heat, I'll come back to report.
veganlisa

Postby veganlisa » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:31 am

Repeat of last night with some burning temps. Taking the next 2 days off and then will try a long hike/run on Saturday morning. I'll probably have a better idea about whether to attempt the 50k after that.
veganlisa

Postby veganlisa » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:25 pm

No relief from the heat, 105 F (40.6 C) at the end of my run/hike yesterday. Managed about 16.3 miles total with a lot of hiking. Decided to attempt the Psycho Psummer trail race next weekend, but don't think the 50k will happen. Just didn't have enough time to train with the injuries. I'm going to try to make it around 2 loops (about 21 miles).
veganlisa

Postby veganlisa » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Slow 3 mile run close to home last night. Will do a 3-mile run/walk tonight, and that's it until Saturday. :)
veganlisa

Postby veganlisa » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:22 am

Yikes, I've been really bad about logging my running. Made it through the 2 loop (about 22 miles) Psycho Psummer race. Just missed the cutoff for the 50k, but knew once I started the race that the 50k would be impossible considering the heat, hills, terrain and the fact that I had only been running for about 4 weeks, with an injury in between, before this race. I had fun and I finished with my beautiful 4-year-old girl cheering for me at the finish. That was awesome. :)

So, my new goal is to make the cutoff times and finish the 50k at Lake Perry Rocks in October. Supposedly the course is very similar to Psycho Psummer with more rocks and less steep hills. Not having to run in 100+ degrees should help too. My training has been sporadic so far, so time to get serious.

Sunday: 15 mile trail run plus a 1 mile hike
Monday: rest day
veganlisa

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Well done Lisa! :) I've been seeing your training elsewhere :P good to see you are getting back to some consistency with it!

A race at Lake Perry. wow... that brings back some memories. Not the race part, but we had regular excursions to Lake Perry for years... I haven't been there in 25 years.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby veganlisa » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks Mr. C. I still don't really have any kind of training plan, so the running still seems a little sporadic. I've just been going with how my body feels as far as rest days, running days and how far/fast I go.

Very cool about Lake Perry! I haven't been out there yet, but everyone tells me it's pretty rocky. Hope I can finish my first 50k there.

Wednesday: 11 mile run/walk Psycho Wyco loop (very hot and humid, tough night)

Friday: 10k Psych Night Trail Run - first night race and so much fun! Final time was 1:17:46. I was actually happy with that time considering the run was on one of the hilliest and most technical parts of the Psycho Wyco loop.

Sunday: Easy Psycho Wyco loop (beautiful day with some relief from the heat)
veganlisa

Postby veganlisa » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Rest day today (knees are a little sore), but just signed up for another 50k trail run: 2013 Psycho Wyco Run Toto, Run (the winter version) :twisted:

http://www.psychowyco.com/id7.html
veganlisa

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs