Campbell's 'WS4SB' basement training Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Thomas Campbell » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Training Tuesday:
10mintue jog 5 X 400 metre hill sprints 10 mintue Jog Back
Borrowed my girlfriends ipod today and the sprints + recovery where easier then usual. Not sure if thats some sort of Ipod related x-factor, or whether I've got fitter. Will investiage next weeky by up the intensity so I cant breath after the 5th sprint!
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Wednesday
Max effort Lower body Training:

Front Squat
1x 10 bar
1x5 27kg
1x5 52.kg
1x5 62kg
1x3 67kg
1x3 72kg pb
1x3 74.5kg pb
1x5 77kg pb On my final rep I went out to the side I was moving up a little but none the less pretty happy with this. And to reiterate last week statement -
"I feel guilty celebrating personal records when I'm still getting easy gains, but fuck it they will dry up soon so I'll celebrate whilst I can! " Hopefully this will have a cary over to my backsquat when I come back to it after i've deadlifted.

Bulgarian split squats
3x8 14.2kg dumbell Didn't hate this as much as usual. Bit annoyed with myself should of done more reps

Good Morning
Felt invincible going to this exerccise so decided to up the weight from last week
1x15 57kg
Decided that was to light and upped again
2x15 62kg.

Plate pinching
After Gauze said this:
[quote="gauze"]I think you're safe to move up in weight on the plate pinches now.

I thought I better try this. So I tried to pick up two 10kgs per a hand instead of two 5kgs per hand. Couldn't even pick them up of the floor. Didn't know what to do, but wanted to do something so improvised.
I decided doing rack pull timed holds would be okay. I'd never done them before and I'm not sure if there really a great grip exercise. So if anybody can recomend anything else I can do until Ibuy some 7.5kg plates to allow me to progress at plate pinching, that would be great.

Rack pull hold
1x60 62kg
2x30 72kg

So ive even a fuckload these week. Especially the blueberry muffins that my girlfriend made maybe that explains the jump in good mornings and front squats? Or maybe it was the excellent soundtrack provided by paintbox

Future Plans:

I'm enjoying this program a lot, and will be sticking with it. Logging on Vegan Fitness has certainly seen me lift biger weights then when I was doing this program and not keeping a record.
I'm starting to think that I need to make the workout on the 'vanity day' more effective. I'm going to stick with it for a while longer and then replace it either with the grip work out Defranco suggested here:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_jo ... -17-06.htm
or bastardize his strongman conditioning day in ws4b2 into a sandbag workout. I'm currently leaning towards doing a grip based day but that means I am going to have buy a wrist roller and some grippers.
Talking of buying things, next week a switch front squats to deadlifts. I don't think I really have enough weight plates for this at the moment, so if I don't get to a sports shop before next wednesday I will have to leave may basement for a commercial gym.
Thomas Campbell

Postby ninearms » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Solid PBs on the fronties!

For grip work have you tried towel pullups? Two birds with one stone and all that.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Thomas Campbell » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:10 pm

[quote="ninearms"]Solid PBs on the fronties!

For grip work have you tried towel pullups? Two birds with one stone and all that.

Thanks for encouragement. Hopefully this log will stay PB heavy for the next few YEARS. Re. Towel pullups I think I mentioned in a log post a while ago that I was going to try them out Well what I forgot to log was that I spent a while trying to find looking for an apporpaite towel in the middle of my session when I should been training, tomorrow I will try and find the right towel before I start!
Thomas Campbell

Postby JP » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:23 pm

sweet frontie pb mate!

look forward to reading how the deadlifts go! Would be good to have them both in the mix though.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Campbell » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:22 pm

[quote="JP"]sweet frontie pb mate!

look forward to reading how the deadlifts go! Would be good to have them both in the mix though.

I'm excited about deadliftting. I love them. And I think i'm built for them (very long arms short torso?). Lets hope I can get my hands on enough plates by next wednesday and do some impressive lifting.
Re: Squatting and deadliftting in the same session, I've tempted to chuck deadlifts in after my squats during a few of my sessions. For now I'm going to try and stick to defranco's 'program' and see how it works out. . Apart from strength gains the program works out well for me in a few different ways:
1) Fitting into my daily studying schedule
2) Having the energy after lifting to study
3) Allowing me to keep running fairly regularly which I also really enjoy
4) I enjoying switching around the exercises regularly. It keeps it interesting. And motivates me to want to make a massive inroad on my previous PB as I havn't deadlifted in weeks
But I will mess around with it over time and try squatting and deadlifting in the same session, I'm sure.
Anyway I want to say again that this site is a massive motivation force, so thanks to everybody who puts in the effort to keep it going!
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:07 pm

Thursday upper body repetition day
3 Sets Max Reps Bench Press
Warm up sets 2x6 x 27kg
set one 25x 49.5kg
set two 25x 49.5kg
set three 21x 49.5kg
These felt heavier then last week not sure why.
4x10x 14.2kg dumbell tricep extension

Towel Chin ups - Tried hanging the towel down couldn't get it work - I think it made the leverage too low really. So modfied the exercise by wrapping the towel round the bar to turn into a thick bar.
1x8
1x5
1x8
1x5
I found these hard both in my back and my grip. Pretty disappointed with my performance here

One armed shoulder press 2 sets of 8 per side 21.7kg dumbell. Did less sets as these were heavy ( at least for me) and I wanted to get my workout finished with good time so Icould do more work tonight
Alternate Dumbell curls sets of 3x 12 14.2kg dumbell per hand

Planks 2x60sec
Thomas Campbell

Postby baldy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:47 pm

[quote="Thomas Campbell"]
Towel Chin ups - Tried hanging the towel down couldn't get it work - I think it made the leverage too low really.

I did these a couple of weeks back. Hang the towel over the hammergrip part of the pullup bar so you have one end of the towel in each hand and the towel does not need to twist when you go up. Grip felt best as high up the towel as possible and trying to twist and kink the towel when you grip it. After the first couple of pullups it felt like my hand were going to slid off the towel, but they did not, my fingers got sore first. Keep at it, its a cool exercise (and is meant to be good for the 'ceps).
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Campbell » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:17 pm

[quote="baldy"][quote="Thomas Campbell"]
Towel Chin ups - Tried hanging the towel down couldn't get it work - I think it made the leverage too low really.

I did these a couple of weeks back. Hang the towel over the hammergrip part of the pullup bar so you have one end of the towel in each hand and the towel does not need to twist when you go up. Grip felt best as high up the towel as possible and trying to twist and kink the towel when you grip it. After the first couple of pullups it felt like my hand were going to slid off the towel, but they did not, my fingers got sore first. Keep at it, its a cool exercise (and is meant to be good for the 'ceps).

Thanks for the detailed description I'll keep at them, hopefully with more sucess next week. Maybe this exercise will result in me finding myself in similar situations to the one depicted in your avatar!
Training Friday:
35 mintue jog in the rain. Borrowed my girlfriends ipod (as she was out) and listened to the cro-mags demo - Real enjoyed this run would of stayed out for longer if I didn't need to do a lot of reading tonight.
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:51 pm

Sunday
Life conspired against me yesterday and missed my training window. So yesterday became my rest day. Didn't do my vanity lifting as I felt it might interfere with my Max effort upper body stuff tomorrow. So I decided to do a running day.
30 minitue jog
5x200m hill sprints
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:26 pm

Training Monday Max effort upper body day :
Max effort Floor Press,

1x10 29.5kg
1z5 37kg
1x5 57kg
1x5 62.kg
1x3 67kg
1x3 72kg pb
1x3 74.5kg pb

Will be switching this to a close grip bench next week.

Bent over Barbel Row

3x10 72kg

Dumbell Bench Press

2 x10 26.7k
2 x 12 11.7 kg dumbell per hand
1 x 15 11.7 kg dumbell per hand

Abbwork

Dumbell side bends 3 sets of 10 either side 41.7kg dumbell
l
5x200m hill sprints
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Training Tuesday:
10mintue jog 5 X 400 metre hill sprints 10 mintue Jog Back
Got back from University at about 9:45 and it was 10:30 when I got out so pretty happy I went running.
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:17 pm

Wednesday
Max effort Lower body Training:

Max effort deadlifts:
First time i've deadlifted since i've started logging on here. My previous pb was 97kg (mainly because I didn't have enough plates), so I bought to 20kg plates to give me more space to push it further. I'm using a regular grip and also pulling regular.
1x5 10 47kg
1x5 67kg
1x5 87.kg
1x3 103kg pb
1x3 113kg pb
1x2 123kg pb
The second rep felt dodgy as my grip started but I could of got three. I'm going to try and be really strict with sticking to 3 and 5 reps over the next two weeks and avoid the temptation of going for a one rep max

Bulgarian split squats
4x8 14.2kg dumbell

Good Morning

1x15 62kg
1x12 67kg
1x15 67kg.

Plate pinching
Went back to plate pinching will keep doing this until I get some 7.5kg plates I guess.
3x60 sec 2 x5kgs per a hand.
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:00 pm

Thursday upper body repetition day
3 Sets Bench Press
In one of the defranco articles he recommends rotating rotating max-rep work with 'bodybuilding repetitions'. I thought i'd been doing max-reps for a while so I switched it.
Warm up set 1x5 x 27kg
4x8 52kg

4x10x 14.2kg dumbell tricep extension

Towel Chin ups close hammergrip -
Baldys tips last week were really helpful. These are much harder then regular chin ups but they also feel like there working more muscles in my back for some reason and I can really feel them now in my forearms.

4x8

One armed shoulder press 3 sets of 8 per side 21.7kg dumbell.

Alternate Dumbell curls sets of 3x 12 14.2kg dumbell per hand

Decline bench Russian twist
3x30 14.2kg dumbell
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Training Friday:
At parents for four days or so. Not sure how this will effect my training might try and make sandbag, or try and find a gym, but I have no idea where there is a decent one in Peterborough.
Went for a jog tonight 45 mintues. I think my cardio is alirght now, I should start workng out my distances and trying to beat them really.
Thomas Campbell

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs