Campbell's 'WS4SB' basement training Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Campbell's 'WS4SB' basement training Log

Postby Thomas Campbell » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Right got back from Istanbul on Saturday night and had my Sunday training session interrupted by my an impromptu visit from my girlfriends dad (Managed to finish the bent over rows,).
So this log will start with my tuesday session tomorrow.
I'm 5,11 weigh 75kgs. Lets hope that keeping a log will force me to lift more weight.

Here is the routine I will be following edited after advice from members at power and strength subforum.
I'm loosely following joe Defranco's westside for skinny bastards.

Sunday:
a) Either Max effort bench Press, Barbell floor press or Max effort weighted Chin ups, (5 sets working up to a 3 rep max)
b) Incline Press 4 (4 Sets 10 reps)
c) Bent over Barbel Row (4Sets 10 reps)
d) Bent-over dumbbell rear delt flys
e) Weighted Swiss Ball Sit ups, Or saxon barbell bends 4 sets 8-15 reps, going to experiment with weighted planks here after ninearms suggestion.
f) 5 X 100 metre Hill sprints (If I can be bothered)

Monday
10mintue jog 4 X 400 metre hill sprints 10 mintue Jog Back

Tuesday
a) Switching between squat, front Squat and Deadlift every 3 weeks (5 sets working up to a 3 -5 rep max)
b) Bulgarian split squats (3 sets of 8 squat days, 4 sets of 10 Deadlift days)
c) Good Morning 3 sets of 15 - ?
D) Grip Training Plate pinching 3 timed sets.

Wednesday
A. 3 Sets Max Reps Dumbbell Press on A swiss ball, Or 3 sets of Max push ups
b) 8 Reps 4 sets Tricep extensions
c). Weighted Chin Ups 4 sets 10 reps
d) Dumbbell Shoulder press 12 reps 3 sets
e) Hammer curls 3 Sets 7
f) Weighted abdominal circuit training

Thursday
Rest or 25-40 minute jog

Friday
'Vanity day'
A) shoulder press 4 sets of 12
b) Hammer curls 4 sets of 8
c) Weighted Gymball sit ups 4 sets of 15
d) Hanging Leg raises 3 Sets of 6
e) Rotational abb work 4 sets of 15
f) Plank variation 1 x60 sec
5 x 100 meetre hill sprint

Saturday

Rest/Band practice.
Last edited by Thomas Campbell on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Campbell

Postby gauze » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:45 pm

definitely ballsy to attempt this routine in a basement!!!!! I saw DeFranco's stronger workout vids the other day - some great exercises in there. You can find a d/l easy enough
"I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, cycling, well, I mean, you know how it is..."

-"NO. Actually I don't know, I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
gauze

Postby Thomas Campbell » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:56 pm

[quote="gauze"]definitely ballsy to attempt this routine in a basement!!!!! I saw DeFranco's stronger workout vids the other day - some great exercises in there. You can find a d/l easy enough

I really want to see the stronger movie Aaron, maybe you can bring it up when you come up to Leeds?
Heres what I did today:
Tuesday
Right I’ve had my squat rack for two weeks so this was the second time I’ve squatted as I was away last week on holiday. Las time I did 69 kg, today I aimed for 87kg for three
Squat
1x5 47kg Did this
1x5 62kg Did this
1x3 72kg Did this
1x3 82kg Did one rep, almost collapsed on the second but managed to do it decided to stop there.
1x3 87kg Missed this, will try and nail it next week

Bulgarian split squats
3x8 14.2kg dumbell in each hand

Good Morning
3x15 47kg Found these hard, but will up the weight next week.

Plate pinching two 5kg plates in each hand 1 x 90 sec
Plate pinching two 5kg plates in each hand 1 x 60 sec
Plate pinching two 5kg plates in each hand 1 x 60 sec dropped this one after 55 seconds
Thomas Campbell

Postby gauze » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 am

yea, I've seen two of his now - Strong: The Movie which is great for motivation and learning more about his training centre, but it's basically a 50 minute youtube clip. The other one I watched yesterday was SUPER -STRENGTH where he went through various warm ups then his preferred exercises for upper and lower body.

On loose plate pinching, I'd advise gardening gloves for the first few weeks until your hands become accustomed to it. Even with good technique there's a high chance of ripping the webbing between thumb and index finger. Also use plenty of chalk.
"I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, cycling, well, I mean, you know how it is..."

-"NO. Actually I don't know, I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
gauze

Postby Thomas Campbell » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:02 am

Wednesday .
1 x6 11.7kg dumbell each hand swiss ball press warm up
1 x 15 21.7kg dumbbell each hand
1 x 20 21.7kg dumbbell each hand
1 x 27 21.7kg dumbbell each hand
3 Sets Max Reps Dumbbell Press on A swiss ball,
8 Reps 4 sets Tricep extensions
4x 8x 14.2kg dumbell each hand tricep extension
Weighted Chin Ups 4 sets 10 reps with 1.25kg on back
Dumbbell Shoulder press 16.77kg dbls each hand 12 reps 3 sets
Alternate dumbell curls 14.2 kg per hand 2 xSets 8
Alternate dumbell curls 14.2 kg per hand 2 xSets 9
3 sets of 8 pull up leg raises
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:26 pm

When I try and squat again next week - how much weight I try and put on the bar (YES I AM A FUCKING NEWBIE) I am almost failed on the second rep . But I am eager to try and go heavier next week - any advice how much I should add?
Thomas Campbell

Postby bronco » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:49 pm

[quote="Thomas Campbell"]When I try and squat again next week - how much weight I try and put on the bar (YES I AM A FUCKING NEWBIE) I am almost failed on the second rep . But I am eager to try and go heavier next week - any advice how much I should add?

If I have understood correctly, your program calls for doing 3-5 reps. This weak you barely manage two reps. Wouldnt the most logical thing then be to lower the weight somewhat to get into the 3-5 rep range?
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Campbell » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:51 pm

[quote="bronco"][quote="Thomas Campbell"]When I try and squat again next week - how much weight I try and put on the bar (YES I AM A FUCKING NEWBIE) I am almost failed on the second rep . But I am eager to try and go heavier next week - any advice how much I should add?

If I have understood correctly, your program calls for doing 3-5 reps. This weak you barely manage two reps. Wouldnt the most logical thing then be to lower the weight somewhat to get into the 3-5 rep range?

So you think it would be illadvised to try and hit 3 reps on the same weight i hit two on before?
Last edited by Thomas Campbell on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:24 pm

On days when I'm not so busy, like today. Ill put my food intake on here, maybe people with tips for improving my diet.
8 am Breakfast 1 can of beans on piece of wholemeal toast. 3/4s of a cafetire
10:30am post training pea protein shake made with vanilla rice milk
12:30 A big plate of yesterdays salad stuff (containing Flagolet Beans, Beatrot, spinach, rocket, mixed sprouts, a few bits of roasted tofu loads of humus)
2:30 Guy in the healthfood shop gave me a a wheatgrass drink they had as a tester.
4:00 Another big plate of the above salad.
18:00 A Block of roasted tofu, some roasted carrot, and a ton of steamed broccoli + some more humus
8:30 a handful of pumpkin seads and 5 or 6 alamonds and a peach.
Thomas Campbell

Postby bronco » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

[quote="Thomas Campbell"]So you think it would be illadvised to try and hit 3 reps on the same weight i hit two on before?

I would lower the weight so that I would be sure to get at least three reps, and maybe even four or five. That is a personal preference though, I dont know much anything about the WS4SB program.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Campbell » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:29 pm

Breakfast: One block of scrambled tofu and one piece of wholemeal bread. 1 shot of Rabenhorst Wheatgrass cocktail.
Morning Snack 1: A berry and bannana smothie with soy protein powder
Morning Snack 2: Tons of coffee
Lunch: Falafel Sandwich
Afternoon Snack: Pea Protein Shake made with 3/4 water 1/4 orange juice
Went jogging 25mintues 18:00 - Legs were still aching like hell from squating,as were my abs (weird?)
Dinner (about to eat) The BIGGEST baked sweet potato I have ever seen, and a mix lentil, mix bean, spinch, tomato, onion, carrot,aubergine stew, green pepper and tofu
Last edited by Thomas Campbell on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:49 am

Breakfast: I hate of the lefts of yesterday stew (mix lentil, mix bean, spinch, tomato, onion, carrot,aubergine stew, green pepper and tofu) + 1 shot of Rabenhorst Wheatgrass cocktail
Mid-morning: Coffee and a glass of vanilla rise milk
Lunch: had a massive pile of yesterday stew (mix lentil, mix bean, spinch, tomato, onion, carrot,aubergine stew, green pepper and tofu) to finish it
Had to miss dinner so decided to eat a block of smoked tofu on the move
Then got back and was hungry so had a winter vegtable soup and a piece of bread

shoulder press 4 sets of 12 16.7kg dumbell per hand 4th set last rep was shitty
Hammer curls 3 sets of 8 14.2kg dumbell per hand
sets of 10 14.2kg dumbell per hand
Weighted Gymball sit ups switched this for dumbell side bends on 3 sets of 10 either side 26.7kg dumbell ninearms advice to avoid sit ups
Hanging Leg raises 3 Sets of 6
Rotational abb work 4 sets of 15 with a 21.7kg dumbell
Plank variation 1 x60 sec
5 x 100 meetre hill sprint

Post workout- One pea Protein Shake 1/2 orrange juice one half water
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:39 am

Today is my rest day but I'll log my eating anyway:
Upon waking + 1 shot of Rabenhorst Wheatgrass + on pea protein shake half oj half water
Brunch - one block of scrambled tofu, with mushrooms, garlic, onion and broccoli. Two pieces of Spelt, rye and wholemeal wheat bread
Whilst watching football focus two very milky cups of coffee one with vanilla rice milk one with soya milk.
Lunch 14:30 two bowls of mixed bean soup
Pre-band practice apple.
For dinner I am taking a salad of Flagolet Beans, a whole advacado, beetrot, spinch, humus, a packet of redwod sage onion slices, cucumber, omega mix, tomato dressed in olive oil
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:23 am

Sunday:
Eating
Breakfast one and half cans of baked beans three linda McCarnty sausages, mushrooms one piece of spelt, rye and wheat bread. One Small Glass of orrange. 1 shot of Rabenhorst Wheatgrass cocktail. One cup of coffee.
Lunch 1 mixed fresh furit smoothie (raspberries, blueberries, apples, kiwi + pea protein and spriulana)
lunch 2 Small mixed bean salad Cannellini beans beans, blacked eye beans, greans beans, red cabbage, white cabbage, carrot, parsley, lemon dressing.
Post training - Chocolate oat milk mixed with pea protein shake.
Dinner: Fried tofu, broccoli and rice from the Chinese take away

Training:
Sunday:
a) Max effort bench Press,
This sucked as I didn't have a spotter so didn't dare go heavy
5x5 57
5x5 49.5kg
5x5 52.kg
5x5 54.5kg
5x5 57kg

b) Incline dumbell
4 Sets x10 17.9kg dumbell per hand
c) Bent over Barbel Row
1x6 64.5
3x7.64.5

d) chest supported Bent-over dumbbell rear delt flys
3 x 15 9.2 kg dumbell per hand (This was a new exercise)
e) 4x12 hanging leg raises
f) 5 X 100 metre Hill sprints
Thomas Campbell

Postby Thomas Campbell » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:57 pm

Eating:
Breakfast: One thick piece of wheat, rye and spelt bread. One block of scrambled tofu with pesto, onion, mushroom flavored with pesto. 1 shot of Rabenhorst Wheatgrass cocktail
Soya Latte
Lunch In town so had to grab a falafel sandwich + tons of coffee which I wasn't very happy about as I am trying to keep my in take of grains low especially on lifting days.
Midafternoon Protein shake (pea protein 1/2 water 1/2 oj)
About to eat dinner which is far to late - however its going to be worth it as its Lentil Moussaka (corrugates, onions, garlic, aubergine, yofu etc..) served with green beans.

Training:
10 minute jog 4 X 400 metre hill sprints 10 minute Jog Back. I'm going to add an additional time up the hill next week.
Thomas Campbell

Next

Return to Training Logs