Al's Race log- cycling

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Alistar » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:05 am

Yeah I put the seat as far back as it could go today to compensate. Felt a bit better. But probably doing more harm than good when get back on the roadie, as legs are getting sore in different places!

Just another ride round and round in circles today. Doesn't take long to go from one side of town to the other! Much more compact and due to it being volcanic lots of little hills all over the place. Cold wind straight off the mountain, overcast and a few spots of rain...

1hr46 AvHR 130 MaxHR 165 overtime 11seconds
Alistar

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:13 am

why didnt you warn me not to come back to this cold & wintery place?!! argh. Are you still in Taranaki or back down south now?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:29 am

I tried to but you were MIA!! Didn't you see my smoke signals!!! Anyway still up in the 'Naki...

Decided to ride round the Mountain today on the old MTB (Mt Taranaki 2516m-I think from memory- Cone shaped dormant Volcano which should erupt again in the next little while. Voted the 2nd most perfect shaped volcano after Mt Fuji).

Anyway it's a 154km round trip. Bit of a tough ask especially on the mtb as the most I've done in training recenty is about 90k's on the roadie. Conditions were pretty good although the mountain was shrouded in cloud except around the Southern side where you could see about 3 quarters of it. Even had a bit of Sun! :shock: Its quite undulating so was a little tougher than I thought. Anyway half of the ride was headwind and tailwind to Opunake. And the same again to Eltham. But then the temp dropped around 5degrees and had this nasty headwind all the way to Inglewood(32km) which really sucked as I hit it at the same time I started to bonk and ran out of food. Bloody terrible! Felt like absolute shit! :lol: Didn't have my speedo but felt like I was going about 15kph! Which wouldn't have been far from the truth...

Stopped at a Dairy (shop) and bought a fake coke. Guzzled that down so bought another one and stuck it in my water bottle. Who needs fancy sports drinks eh! And I was back up to speed! Thank God! Luckily the wind wasn't hampering my progress anymore (direct crosswind) and was able to use my muscles again with a bit of energy in my system.

Had to stop for a puncture on the outskirts of New Plymouth(start/finish point) which was a little annoying but in the end did it in 6hrs flat which wasn't too bad I suppose on a mtb solo. Thought I'd be around 5:30 or so- Oh well...

So not quite as fast as the National champ who did the whole thing in 3hr36 the other day :shock: :lol:

154km 6hrs0:58
AvHR 137 MaxHR 165 Intime 5hr40:31 Over time 34s
2994Calories :shock:
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:36 am

:shock: that's a hell of distance on mtb, especially alone.
are you using a full sus?
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:08 pm

bob_summers wrote::shock: that's a hell of distance on mtb, especially alone.
are you using a full sus?

Ha ha! Luckily no thank God
Alistar

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Wowwee - epic ride!
Dave Noisy

Postby Alistar » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:37 am

Cheers fella's. Will post a pic of it tomorrow, although was a bit too overcast on the day to take the camera, although was clear on the other side of the Mountain and I even got a bit sunburnt on the legs (Damned Ozone hole that usually blows over us around this time of year!)

The ride must have done some good as was faster than expected. Bike felt like a rocket ship after the mtb! :lol: Just rode to Lyttelton and back after Tea (Dinner). Beautiful clear night. Stars were all out could see the Southern Cross and pointers, Scorpio and the arm of our Milky Way Galaxy...

Was a typical Nor Easter...

1hr37:39
AvHR 143 MaxHR 172 In Time 1hr27:30 Over 4:35 862 kCal

12:39 Wheatsheaf
30:29 Gov's
Lyttelton 49:19
1hr9:43 Govs
Last hill 3:47
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:50 am

you must be using some serious lighting for the night rides? i've been out a couple of times in the dark here, and some of the roads are in pretty shabby condition - it was clear that my light wasn't quite up to the job of illuminating potholes :(
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:40 am

My light is pretty average. Know the road pretty well but seem to hit every single pothole, and rough patch possible :lol: as riding more in the middle than usual I think. Really hard to get your line right on some of the corners though...hmmm...is that the centre line there?...can't quite see the edge of the road...I thinks its over there somewhere... :lol:

Anyway here is a pic of Mt Taranaki I biked around the other day. Just had an unseasonal dump of snow :)

Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:10 am

buffff... what a view! although i can only imagine the breeze coming down from there!

re. lights - these seem to be selling like hot cakes:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

for comparison, it's on the fourth row, far left here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/muddymoles ... 233765777/

certainly doesn't disgrace itself for the price. i'm tempted, even though i don't really need one...
bob_summers

Postby fredrikw » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:53 am

re. deal extreme -
a really good price, but I've read that in order for them to work fully when it's wet you need to do some DIY modifications to seal the electronics properly, and some people have had to re-solder some of the connections as well.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby bob_summers » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:20 am

suppose something has to give at that price. that said, i'm a tinkerer, so i'd be happy to try them for nightriding - would be nice to try it without too much outlay.

for road, i've just dug out my old dinotte LED (first generation).. totally forgot about that. works very well for anything on tarmac. i did a couple of overnight rides with it, and apart from battery life (i suppose they all have that problem) it coped really well. allowed a bit of speed on crappy roads, which i'm not used to with normal commuter lights.
bob_summers

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:27 pm

not that you will hopefully be needing lights again any time soon, but for quality, price & availability in NZ, its pretty hard to be http://www.ayup-lights.com/

Nice pic of Taranaki!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:50 am

Thanks for all the advice and links re lights peoples! :)
Might have to invest in a decent one for next winter.

Just had a quick blat up to the top of Port Levy saddle(400odd m) and back. Quite a steep and tough climb. Really needed all my gears thats for sure! :D Bit hairy coming down due to a bit of gravel on the corners, so couldn't really push it too hard

55:54 MaxHR 178 Av 143 In Time 40:19 Over 8:36 512Cal
Alistar

Postby Alistar » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:06 am

Partners up North visiting her sister so took the kids on this "family friendly" mtb track out by the airport. Its actually really fun and fast, with heaps of bermed corners through the forest. They do a local 12hr race on it.

Anyway kids loved it so we'll have to head out again sometime soon :)
Alistar

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs