Al's Race log- cycling

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:27 pm

Thats an amazing view !

You have your brake hoods really high on the bars. Do you find that helps climbing ? Could indicate the position is wrong ?

Nice looking bike !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Alistar » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:00 am

JohnBarleycorn wrote:
You have your brake hoods really high on the bars. Do you find that helps climbing ? Could indicate the position is wrong ?

Nice looking bike !

Cheers Dave (from overpage) and John :)

Thanks for the observation and tips etc!
Yeah first I was so keen to adjust the stem down some spacers, and take it for a spin up and down the road before it got dark I'd in my haste pointed the hoods too far towards the tarmac and thought- "shit this is a bit of a stretch!" Then when I got home being used to a flatter stem, overcompensated and just ligned them up with the stem without really thinking. Only noticed when started heading downhill on my first real bikeride on it last weekend, that it was quite unconfortable on the drops and felt like my hands didn't have enough bar to hold onto!

So not on purpose, but pretty obvious in the photo though :oops: All fixed now though!
Alistar

Postby Alistar » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 am

Really windy today but nowhere near the 140kph winds forcast! More like 35kph gusting to 60
Put my race tyres on as wanted to post a good time up Gebbies pass(far side). Immediately saved 300g as the stock bullet-proof steal-plated training tyres weighed 360g ea! :shock:

Headwind up Gebbies (2.23km and 139m) so was well pleased to get 6min05 in those conditions. Then riding round the bays to Lyttelton to do my next climb was hard going in the wind so quite difficult to keep the HR down and recover. Got passed by this local sponsored teamguy halfway around up this hard pinch-climb. Probably tired from yesterdays Scratch race, so he didn't put much time on me to Lyttelton.

I was going to go for another seasons pb up there so knew he would probably think I was trying to race him(I'm not that stupid!) if I caught him up. Anyway it was really hard down the bottom in the wind so I wasn't sure if I'd bother going for a good time, but got a bit more sheltered up a bit so decided to go for it. Passed quite a few average cyclists up there and then nearing the top saw the "sponsored guy" slacking off and sheltering behind 2 slow old codgers up ahead. He looked behind him and saw me coming up fast, then when I was about 15m away launched and went as hard as he could -leaving me in his dust in quite an impressive display of power! :lol:

At the top of Evans headed for Mt Pleasant and back along the summit Rd(opposite way to last couple of weeks). Really blustery at times and half way along there were these Police and a tow truck blocking the road as a local "Boy Racer" had gone off the edge. Extremely steep- couldn't see the car, only debri everywhere- a flash chrome exhaust pipe lying on the grass at the top... Hope it was't fatal, but you would be very lucky to survive going off there at speed :(

Going down "the Bastard" is a challenging descent. Cattlestops- 2 of which are on sharp corners, the blustery wind and gravel put down on corners for the cars when its icy made it a little hairy at times. The big 2bladed windturbine down the bottom was going for it- would have earned its keep on a day like today!

3hrs6 ~75k's
Home to Gebbies pass(far side) back to wheatsheaf Evans, Big B and home

Gebbies(Mot) 139m 2.23km 6:05 (big nor easter)
Evans 256m 3.4km 10:41
Last Hill 4min50

Oh yeah... Av HR 150 Max 182 In time 2hr16 Over time 27min Cal 1675
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:53 pm

happy 100th post :wink:

well done for getting out in the wind, i think i'm allergic to it.. can't leave the house on a bike when it's windy haha

i had a heart-in-mouth moment couple of weeks ago when i happened upon a car crash. as i got closer, i could see two bikes lying on the road and some guys lifting the front end of the car up :shock: thought someone was under it, but when i got there it looked as if the cyclists had just laid their bikes down while they helped to lift the car out of a drainage ditch (in cleats?!?). phew... not always as bad as it looks.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:57 am

Cheers Bob :lol:
...100th Post! :shock: Man I'm hardcore! :lol:

More wind today- often gets quite windy around the equinox down here but usually a bit closer to the actual date. Has come a few weeks earlier this year for some reason...

After playing soccer with the kids and some parents afterschool (was buggered in about 15min :D ) it was time, after making dinner, to find my lights and go bike riding!Yay! Quite cold, but the moon is just about full atm so lots of natural light.

Did my Tuesday Lyttelton ride
48km 1hr43:15 Av 27.8kph
In time 1hr36:30 over time 3:30 Av HR 143 Max 172 924kCal

32:20 Gov nors
51:23 Lyttelton
4:01 Last hill
Alistar

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Woohoo - spending some quality time on the bike!!

I hardly notice the wind now..watts are watts. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:43 am

Dave Noisy wrote:I hardly notice the wind now.

I am kinda suspecting DN has no idea what wind is.

Ahh yes, he doesn't:

http://victoria.weatherstats.ca/wind_speed

:wink: He's a lucky man!!!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:01 am

Yeah the wind is always blowing from some damn direction down here!

Anyway had a nice Fathers day sleep in today. My daughter made me vegan pancakes for breakfast :D yum yum! before I went on my Fathers day bike ride.
Beautiful day today if just a little windy(whats new! :) ).

Biked to Evans and over to Sumner to Mt Pleasant back to Summit Rd then along to SOK, Bastard then home.

Not sure on k's but prob around 70-75km's
2hr57:28 In time 2hr17 overtime 24min Av 146 Max 182 1604kCal

Govnors 31:28
Evans 1hr2:50
Mt Pleasant to Summit Rd (4.67k 403m) 18:20
Last hill @~156bpm 5:05

Here's a pic of the Bay from top of the B*stard...

Alistar

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Excellent photo! Lucky you for the pancakes. :)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:34 am

Mr. Cleetus wrote:
Dave Noisy wrote:I hardly notice the wind now.

I am kinda suspecting DN has no idea what wind is.

Ahh yes, he doesn't:

http://victoria.weatherstats.ca/wind_speed

:wink: He's a lucky man!!!

hahaha - come on, it hits 60kph on occasion!! It *is* almost always windy here, tho not HUGE wind like you've been getting...

Nice photo!
Dave Noisy

Postby bob_summers » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:19 pm

stunning view! and props for mixing cycling with niños :)
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:46 am

Cheers Mr C, DN and Bob:)

Yeah can be quite hard getting out at times. But just means I have to go biking at night after I have tea at ~7pm like last night 8)

48km 1hr47:38 26.76km/h AveHR 135 Max 160 867kCal

Really dark last night, without the moon in the sky like the last couple of times biking along on those unlit country roads...
Didn't feel that great last night. Quite tired and my left thigh was quite sore after going for a pb up Mt Pleasant on Sunday. So didn't push it.
Think not eating tea before I left didn't help either.

Govnors 32:55
Lyttelton 53:00
Govnors 1:15:00
Last hill 4:50

Resting HR was a bit all over the place this morning 41 to 49 which could suggest I've been overdoing it a bit recently? But not sure as this is the 1st morning I've taken it, so shouldn't jump to conclusions. Seemed to stabilise around 46bpms for the most part.

Just found out that the current NZ National Road champ has a HR max the same as mine 187. But a resting HR of 36 :shock: so quite an impressive "engine".
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:42 am

tea = evening meal? that's a northern thing, are you an expat or it is kiwiesque too?
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:37 pm

Nah born and bred so Kiwiesque most probably :) Didn't just have a cuppa :lol:

Interesting that its a Northern thing...
Alistar

Postby Alistar » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:50 am

Oh well dropped the car off and biked to work. Felt like I was riding in treacle so not properly recovered. Wanted to post a decent time up both sides of Dyers Pass(326m). But realised I'd only have one decent effort in me so just cruised up it on the way to work.
On the way back gave it a really good go and posted quite a good time for me of 17:27. About a month ago did 21:30 so am definately getting fitter Was on track for a sub 17min ride at the halfway point but faded pretty badly from there

So 1hr9 there and 59min back or Total of 2hr8:50
AvHR 147 Max 181 in time 1:42:09 Over 19:49 1177kCal
Oh yeah quite happy as I've put on a bit of weight! :D Now 69/70kg
I got down to 66kg after my recent emotional turmoil, so all good!

Dyers from Govnors 16:05 (2.91km)
Dyers from Colombo 17:27(5.67km)
Alistar

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs