Running for Joy (plus cycling, swimming and hiking)

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Trials & Tribulations of a Triathlon Newbie

Postby purple_mog » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Sunday

Having survived the worst of the fireworks we all went out on a longer run this morning. And yet again I am baffled by my body! Despite doing very little more than 1-2 miles irregularly recently - I ran just under 3 miles with only a couple of walking bits (to rescue dogs from ditches!) in about 36 minutes. So thats not much slower than my usual pace when I'm feeling good and fit! Bizarre!

Food: oatflakes and rice milk plus smoothie; tofu wiener on rye, apple juice;
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Re: Running for Joy (plus cycling, swimming and hiking)

Postby purple_mog » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 am

So - returning to keeping a log of my exercise attempts! Background info - spent most of 2011 with severe anaemia, tried to complete a sprint distance triathlon in May 2011 before I realised and felt utterly awful.

Have had time to improve iron levels, sort out various medications and the PhD has been submitted - viva on 25th April!

Re-started walk/run programme in early February and now running 3-5 miles fairly comfortably though I still take walk breaks as needed.

Main activity is training for coast-to-coast walk with friends in May 2013, so twice a month longish walks at good pace building to some multi-day trips soon.

ADD WALKS TO DATE HERE!

Sunday 15th April
Peny-Ghent loop
9km with 450m ascent
2hrs approx plus 17 mins talking, checking map, eating!

Ran for most of the first 1.5 miles, walked next uphill chunk 2 miles and then ran most of the descent (so much fun!) so about 2miles

Lessons learned - when I start early in the morning I NEED to keep eating! and I get cranky without the food.
Need to find a more savoury option for energy dense food on the hill, I never thought I would go off sweet things but it happened fast!

After run it was fairly cold outside (4ish) and I didn't get my layers on before drinking my tea, mistake - was cold for the next three hours.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:41 am

Yak! Trapped wind is painful and unpleasant :evil: Hoping it eases off soon.

Had a little bit of a dip in mood last night - but not as bad as last week so may have managed my recovering from the Sunday run better *fingers crossed*

Started to bike into work yesterday (9 mile round trip) and this morning was amazed at how sore my backside was! Clearly I have become weak and tender!

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby Rach » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:36 am

Good that your health is getting better and you can get back into your sport.Congrats on Phd.What's your area of study?
Rach

Postby purple_mog » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:18 pm

[quote="Rach"]What's your area of study?

ermmm the general area is clinical trials/research versus real-life practice, my department is Health Sciences

The actual topic is homeopathy and ADHD in children - long story as to the topic choice, no I'm not a homeopath but I am curious.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Tuesday - biked in and out of work plus usual dog walking. Then spent most of the evening helping on a photography job for my partner - bleh. Was much too tired and shouldn't have gone.

Wednesday - skipped the cycle since I have about a 13hr day on Wednesdays. Ate well but felt emotionally crap until the evening. I run my own dog classes among other things and they were great! Totally lifted my mood :)

Thursday - usual dog walking plus first trip to the gym in rather a while! Aiming to try and get a session in most Thursdays.
2.5 miles 'hilly' run on the treadmill (about 20mins)
1.5 miles 'hilly' on the cross trainer (about 20mins)

Would love to do some weights but need to save pennies and then find a decent trainer to go through things with me. The folk at my local gym are not really into weights at all and not sure I trust them to demo the machines never mind anything else!

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:52 am

No excuses for lack of posting, since that just delays posting!

Last week running mileage = 24.2 miles
Almost all run in heavy mud, rain, wind and the dark. Moving average is usually between 4 and 5 mph which I'm quite happy with.
Long run on Saturday (long for me!) meant I was out for 3hrs 40mins, not pushing hard in terms of effort as my only goal was to get round without feeling awful.
4.2 Monday 3 miles Thurs 4.8miles Friday 12.2miles Saturday

Debating whether to enter the 10k distance or the half-marathon Hardmoors Trail race on a couple of weeks. I'm happy that I can cover the distance and the cut-off times are generous (5hrs for the half) and its on terrain that I'm used to (muddy, hellish paths and lots of bog!), but wonder if I should stick with the 10k and make an effort to really race it this time as previously I've been running with other people so not really going for it....decisions!

Monday 2nd Feb: 4.2 miles in 56mins including paddling up to our knees in flood water for a long stretch! The collies were NOT impressed.

Tried first homemade smoothie thing this morning, yak! Frozen raspberries, handful spinach leaves, soy milk and some oats. Unfortunately I struggle with thick and creamy textures but had to add more milk to get the blender to work. May try again with alternative like almond milk.... I really like the principle of healthy green based smoothies, just a shame I've always hated the texture of milkshakes.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:31 am

Mon 10th Feb

Not so much running done as working all weekend but some reasonable dog walks at least.

Wed 5th Feb 6.2 miles in heavy mud and hills with the collies in an hour 10 mins which I'm very happy with.

Thurs 6th Feb 3.2 miles easy run with canicross group

Fir/Sat/Sun no running but noticed an unusual pain on my lateral edge of left ankle bone :-( Sore to touch but not particularly when running, hope nothing serious as due to run first trail half marathon on Sunday!

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Previous

Return to Training Logs