Stoaty Stylee - Project Speedos

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby KaliBaby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:30 pm

Rich is a former Navy Seals dude and maybe they did a lot of kettlebell training with him? who knows haha
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:11 pm

Have had man-flu these last couple of days, wasn't expecting much today. Pleasantly surprised....

Squat

3x3 @ 115kg

Video'ed meself and these all went parallel at least. Quite chuffed, think 120kg should be a doddle..

Deadlift

5x 125kg
5x 127.5kg
5x 130kg

Was going to do all of them at 125kg, but decided to HTFU and press on. Glad I did!

Shoulder Press

5x5 @ 55kg 7.5

Didn't expect to make all of these, maybe those press out things last week worked...

Reverse rows

3x10
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Arbela » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Glad to hear you're recovering well.

:lol: I just Googled man-flu.
Arbela

Postby stateofflux » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:26 pm

Not swine-flu hopefully?

Get those video online!
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Don't think it's swine-flu, no fever and I have yet to be able to spontaniously find truffles...

Videos may be coming up in the next couple of days, watch this space...

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:27 am

Quick video of my squats. Any comments appreciated...

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby JP » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:46 pm

[quote="thestoatyone"]Quick video of my squats. Any comments appreciated...

good stuff man, good grinding!

one thing springs to my mind immediately is the starting position. You unrack the bar with a wide stance which makes the whole thing unstable to start with. As the weights climb up this will become more and more of an issue.

Put the pins a bit higher, or not if you prefer, but anyway, unrack the barbell with about shoulder width or narrower stance. Straight up - not back at the same time, tight core, tense the traps, lift up like it is NOTHING, control, and then take a step back, one leg at the time, small steps, and then steps out to get the width of your stance, again, control, and then squat.

Every step of the way deliberate and under control.

many say this will make the barbell feel lighter and make your squats more solid to start with.
JP
Site Admin

Postby KaliBaby » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:56 pm

[quote="JP"]one thing springs to my mind immediately is the starting position. You unrack the bar with a wide stance which makes the whole thing unstable to start with. As the weights climb up this will become more and more of an issue

the wide stance struck out for me instantly as well. next time can you try and take the video from a side angle? I couldn't tell if you were leaning forward with your squats or not. not matter what, kuddos!!!!!! :D
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Cheers for the comments dudes, I thought a wider stance was supposed to be stronger? Interesting, will have a play with a narrower unrack.

As for the side view, well I do pitch forward quite a bit. will see if I can have a go at videoing from the side on Monday.

Again, cheers for the help!

:D

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby mouche » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Liking the look of those squats! Looked like you were really working hard too. Good stuff 8)

I was also going to mention the wide stance, but that's already been done. Though JP only mentioned the unracking, I personally squat with a much narrower stance as well; only a little wider than shoulder width and toes pointing almost straight forward. I find that tends to feel more controlled, and stops my knees flapping about awkwardly. If that makes any sense.

But then, there's so many stance variations you can play with on squats, I guess it just depends on what you feel works your legs best! At least it looks like you're performing those ones well so keep it up.
mouche

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Under doctors (Mrs Stoatyones) orders not to train today due to man-flu.

Fed up. :cry:

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby mouche » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:25 pm

Aww :( Then again, the quicker you shake off the man flu, the quicker you're back training. And the best way is utter indulgence; pyjamas, hot chocolate, fresh fruit salad, and toast with peanut butter and a good day of lounging around feeling sorry for yourself and you'll wake up tomorrow not even remembering what man flu feels like!

Then again, I still live in a fairytale world where people don't have to work, have any responsibilities or even get out of bed when they're sick. Or on their birthdays. So it might not quite work out like that but however you do it get well soon!
mouche

Postby stateofflux » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:56 pm

Get well soon!
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:04 pm

Cheers dudez!

In spite of my better judgement (installed, as it is, in my wife) I had a bit of a play with some snatches to get the videos up on the youtubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HipINTKflxw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILJWP_cGgLo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLXPrUH-IUc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXJw0Pf9PgU

There's some ugly stuff in there, but all constructive criticism welcomed...

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby ralst » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:12 pm

[quote="thestoatyone"]Cheers for the comments dudes, I thought a wider stance was supposed to be stronger? Interesting, will have a play with a narrower unrack.

As for the side view, well I do pitch forward quite a bit. will see if I can have a go at videoing from the side on Monday.

Again, cheers for the help!

:D

Wide stance is stronger for some, especially if you're a powerlifter with massive hamstrings looking to take the quads out of the lift as much as possible. In my experience, most non-powerlifters (such as me) are quite a bit stronger with a narrower, slightly outside the shoulders, stance. I'm not an expert, and it's hard to tell with just one video, but you look a lot like me when I used to squat wide, because I thought it was the stronger way to go. It's hard to get anything out of the quads with a wide stance, and (usually) you'll be stronger bringing the feet in. Give the narrower stance a try next time you're squatting and see how it feels, everyone is of course different.

As for the leaning forward, the wide stance makes it more or less impossible not to have forward lean - it's nothing to worry about at all, just what needs to happen to stay balanced when your butt is shoved back and the knees aren't coming forward. (which, assuming you've been reading westside-type squatting articles, is what you're trying to do - the leaning is a necessary part of that) Usually there is less forward lean when squatting with a narrow stance, as the knees are allowed to move forward at the same time as the hips are breaking at the start of the descent - again, neither way is right, it's just a matter of what works for you.
ralst

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs