Stoaty Stylee - Project Speedos

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Haven't tried my max bench in years, max floor press was in the 105kg-110kg region when tested about a month and a bit back.

Feel like I should be able to do more on a bench, the floor press stalls you at an awkward point and you can't bounce it of your chest, but I though that would be negated by the shorter ROM of the FP. Have you or anyone else for that matter) ever tried mixing the two up?
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby SpugFab » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Bench also lets you set up more efficiently and use the legs (can't say I agree with bouncing it though :wink:).

I've trained both at times, but never with a view to comparing strength on the two. Usually used floor press for heavy volume (sets of 3 or 5).
SpugFab

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Interesting stuff, I seem to remember when I did have access to a bench that I was getting my head around bringing the legs into it, so I guess that would add a bit of weight to what can be moved.

I'm stuck with the floor press as is though, any tips for making the most of it in terms of technique? I'm trying to keep my elbows tucked in and drive the bar up in a short straight line rather than an arc, any other tips?

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:24 pm

Squat

5x5 @ 95kg

Deadlift

5x 85kg
5x 87.5kg
5x 90kg
5x 92.5kg
5x 95kg

think I can go a bit further than 100kg with 5 sets, need to play that by ear I think...

Shoulder Press

5x 50kg
5x 52.5kg
5x 55kg
5x 55kg
3x 55kg

well, saw that comin'. Will drop to 52.5kg and try for 5x5. Still better than I thought I'd do. :)

Scrunchy Chin-ups

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby thestoatyone » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:57 pm

Squat

5x5 97.5kg

Massive breaks in between, but all reps done with pretty decent depth

Floor Press

5x 77.5kg
5x 80kg
5x 82.5kg
5x 85kg
5x 87.5kg

Underhand Grip Bent-Over Row

5x 72.5kg (got me weights mixed up!)
4x5 @ 75kg

Press Ups

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Squat

5x5 @ 100kg

Deadlift

5x 92.5kg
5x 95kg
5x 97.5kg
5x 100kg
5x 102.5kg

Shoulder Press

5x5 @ 52.5kg

Scrunchy Chin-ups

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:42 am

As the bruise-swelled clouds burned from terracotta to crimson in an eggshell sky and the swallows reeled and darted overhead I thought: "Time for a quick snatch practice?"

A little context; I have no experience or coaching in oly lifting, just what I've seen on youtube and read online. Figure that to get good at snatching, one needs to figure out the pull and the receive first and foremost.

So I started off with the bar, pulling hard, catching in a pretty deep squat and then knocked out 5 OHS's kinda feeling for where the groove was. Not enough tension in the right places I think, felt a bit wobbly overhead, but got them done anyway.

Same thing with 30 kilos.

45 kilos had me power snatching, then a couple of OHS, tried again and got closer to catching in a squat :?

Couple of sets of fails at 55kg (pressing out, rather than catching it cleanly) and that was about it.

Might give it a go next sat just straight snatching @ 40kg 'till I get the tech smooth, what does everyone reckon?

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby KaliBaby » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:43 pm

[quote="thestoatyone"]A little context; I have no experience or coaching in oly lifting, just what I've seen on youtube and read online. Figure that to get good at snatching, one needs to figure out the pull and the receive first and foremost.

Kudos for you attempting something new but I'd be careful to not injure yourself. Do you have a buddy who can check your form for you?
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:10 am

Cheers KB, but not really much luck finding a mate (See the "weightlifting in Shrewsbury" topic)

It's a real light weight I'm using compared to my other lifting though, so as long as I don't get carried away I reckon I'll be okay. I hope...

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Squat

5x5 102.5kg

Floor Press

5x 85kg
5x 87.5kg
5x 90kg
5x 92.5kg
4x 95kg

Underhand Grip Bent-Over Row

5x5 @ 77.5kg

had to drop the assistance work to go to an interview, might do it later...
Last edited by thestoatyone on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby mouche » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:32 pm

[quote="thestoatyone"]Might give it a go next sat just straight snatching @ 40kg 'till I get the tech smooth, what does everyone reckon?

I don't know anything about the training specifics, but I'd say it's always a good idea to follow your intuition. If you feel more comfortable working on the straight snatch first, it won't do any harm and will most probably help both in the long- and short-run; if you master that technique early on at a lower weight, it's less likely to go out the window (resulting in possible injury) as soon as you up the weights.

You're floor pressing almost twice my weight - I can't lose any more weight so up it quickly so I can marvel at the fact that you're lifting two mes at once ;) [Yes I count in units of me, but I'm blaming it on the fact that my first ever training partner made me sit on his lap when he did dips, rather than basic egocentricity]
mouche

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Haha cheers!

Think I will take it steady on the snatching like you say, it's not my main priority ATM, so I'm unlikely to get anxious about my lack of progress, up the weight and then do something in. Ego is the most dangerous thing in the gym...

As for upping the floor press, just remembered I only managed 4 on the last set

:oops:

Going to drop the weight to 92.5kg and resume at 5x5. Reckon I can get up to the ton pretty swiftly though! Feel free to marvel anyways :wink:

I am curious though, do you think of other things in units of you? Like cars and stuff?

More training:

Press-ups

Reverse Crunches

tidy.

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby mouche » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:54 am

Right I need to work on my pushups - the most I'm ever done in one go in my life was 30 but usually I stick to 20. Going to chase you up to 40... and then I'll think about doing it for 3 sets!

[quote="thestoatyone"]I am curious though, do you think of other things in units of you? Like cars and stuff?

Haha my first reaction was "No way, that would be ridiculous" but you know what, I think I do... measurements don't mean much to me on their own, I just can't seem to visualise 50m or 100kg unless I relate them to something in the real world. Which is probably why I can't parallel park - I just have no idea how much space I actually have! I was so proud parallel parking outside the gym the other day, until I got out and realised there was room for about 3 of my cars! Yeah I reinforce all the gender stereotypes I guess... :oops:
mouche

Postby stateofflux » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:21 am

I see you are also a dabbler in Oly lifting! If you are training without a coach it might be worth trying to get someone to film you so you can review you form and get feedback here. There seem to be a few people on VF who know their stuff.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:51 am

Definitely a 'dabbler'. Ahem... :|

Going to do a few more sessions to improve to 'embarrassing' then get a form check video up, would be cool to get feedback, you're right.

My Log

thestoatyone

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs