Noisy Cycling 2009 - It's Cyclocross Season - wahoo!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby KaliBaby » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:33 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"]I logged nearly 14hrs on the bike the last four days (although big chunks of non-riding.) Fun! Feeling stronger and stronger...

ooooph! that's intense! :shock:
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby fredrikw » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:52 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"]I logged nearly 14hrs on the bike the last four days (although big chunks of non-riding.)

Ah, I see a new strategy for getting the hours up. I spent eight hours building a set of wheels, perhaps I should enter that in my training log as well :P ;)

Seriously Dave, don't become one of those riders who include rest stops in their training hours, and finally end up spending more time standing still talking or eating than actually riding. You'll be standing there in baggy shorts, all covered in unnecessary protective gear and a full face helmet in no time if you don't watch out :lol:
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:00 pm

haha - i don't think there's much chance of that Fredrik. I've installed a computer on my MTB in order to keep honest. ;)

Thanks Kali - it's been pretty fun!!

More good times:

Apr 16 - MTB, 5hrs, 3.75hrs riding

Apr 17 - rest, 1hr in a canoe!!

Apr 18 - OBB ride, got 3rd in the sprint, felt good, first ride with the Blue in a group ride...it's sweet. I've got some decent strength as well i'm finding..as most other riders are getting shelled and i'm on the front comfortably pushing the pace. ;)

Apr 19 - another MTB marathon, left at 9:30, home at 3:30, tho only 4hrs of ride time. Solid riding there and back, but a lot of waiting for friends on the trails. Hit some new trails, was a fun excursion.

Tonite gonna go a set (8x) of flying sprints on a spot nearby where there's a short decent that flattens out, which actually works out about the same as the velodrome. Should be nice to do with the shorter cranks, which i think i'm pretty much used to now.

Also, posted a bunch of new pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/davenoisy1/ ... 5RideCam21

And updated my blog, much of it has been covered here:

http://cycling.thenoisies.com/

Gonna hit the Caleb Pike weekly road race this Wed night (hilly circuit), and got my 3rd MTB race on Sunday - yip!
Dave Noisy

Postby KaliBaby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:14 pm

for a split second the thought of ninja turtles popped into my head...

KaliBaby

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:40 am

[quote="KaliBaby"]for a split second the thought of ninja turtles popped into my head..

hahahah! I'm nearly getting there aren't i!! =P

Been chillin' this week as i've got a race on the weekend. Went out to the weekly hilly circuit race on Wed night, but didn't enter as it was HAILING just after we arrived, and i didn't want to race on wet roads.

Tues night did some pseudo 200m flying sprints, will post the numbers below.

Apr 20 - 6x200's (see below)

Apr 21 - REST DAY!

Apr 22 - rode out to Caleb Pike (got a lift back - ha!)

Will be doing a 2hr MTB ride tomorrow night, and easy spin on Sat, and MTB race on Sunday - the course is 'one lap'. Geez..!

Flying 200's

#1 - 50x14
Max Spd: 53.79
Max Cad: 111
Max Wts: 1257 (new PB!)
5 Sec Wts: 1129

#2 - 50x15
Max Spd: 52.63
Max Cad: 133
Max Wts: 1136
5 Sec Wts: 1032

#3 - 50x16
Max Spd: 56.25
Max Cad: 143
Max Wts: 1187
5 Sec Wts: 962

#4 - 50x16
Max Spd: 56.04
Max Cad: 141
Max Wts: 1110
5 Sec Wts: 1018

#5 - 50x16
Max Spd: 53.79
Max Cad: 136
Max Wts: 1090
5 Sec Wts: 988

#6 - 50x16
Max Spd: 53.59
Max Cad: 136
Max Wts: 1116
5 Sec Wts: 1002

I didn't do these terribly consistently - the first two were done in bigger gears, and i jumped in different spots, trying to figure out where was closest to the track surface (i was doing these on a downhill that leads to a flat, but it transitions with a slight downhill...first few were done 'later', some then i started my jump earlier, a big higher on the slope.) Also changed up gears, to a lighter one, as i also need to develop some leg speed again....

Interesting to note that i hold over 1000w for the first 5-6 seconds, then it quickly drops down to the 600w range and hangs there...so i'm not maintaining the wattage..not a great sign.

The slope when using a bigger gear shows a gradual decline (sort of like this: \ ) where in the lighter gear it's flat up in the 1000-1100 range, then around 6 seconds it just drops to 600w and sits there.

Need more work on the leg speed evidently!

Comparing the #'s to my last PowerStart session, the numbers are surprisingly close ( http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewt ... 014#277014 ) - but that was a month ago, so i'm pretty happy with my sprint retention over a month without specific training!! Gotta work on maintaining higher watts tho - any suggestions for on-bike workouts of this? I presume just do more of these. =)

[Edit: had my workouts for the 21st and 22nd mixed-up, put them in the right order.]
Last edited by Dave Noisy on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Noisy

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:42 am

Oh, also updated my blog, although most of that is already in here:

http://cycling.davenoisy.com
Dave Noisy

Postby Dave Noisy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:09 am

Okay, simmer down, don't all go talking at once, congratulating me on yet another wattage PB! =P

Apr 23 - Rest day!

Apr 24 - EZ MTB ride, 1.5hrs, pretty fun!

Apr 25 - EZ OA road ride, ~1hr

Apr 26 - MTB Race, finished 6th, details below!

Apr 27 - Rest!

Island Cup #3 - Hammerfest in Errington

This race was something else..! It was just one loop (beginners turned off earlier, experts had an extra portion).

I think i got my tapering PERFECT for this. Felt fantastic. Was nice and strong on Friday, but kept it chillaxed.

It was a HUGE starting group, about 130 people. I was racing Intermediate, and we all started at once, and i was in the middle, near the back of the I's. Not smart, but didn't have too much choice..

Regardless, i moved up QUICK. It was a wide road for maybe 500m, then double-track. I cut from left and right as necessary to keep moving forward in the pack. It got to the point where there was really only one clean line, and i opted to stay off it to continue passing people. Luckily my technical skills are spot on, and i moved up big time.

Hit the singletrack, and found myself in a fast moving bunch - yeah!

A few fell off, stuck on tech sections, and i continued to move up in the pack... It went uphill for a bit, and the group really stretched out, with me at the front!

Then we got into some sweet downhill singletrack in the woods, and i dropped everyone!! I was moving very fast as well, perfect terrain for me and my Niner.

The trails opened up to fireroad, and i could see people up ahead. And yes, more up. I was on fire!! A climbing monster!! I kept catching and passing people, it was amazing!!

More downhill, but this was in the clearcut, and pretty loose stuff. A rider behind me called out to pass, and i thought there was more ground on the side of the trail as i pulled over to let him pass, but then i took a tumble..haha.. Another rider snuck by before i could get upright and rolling again. Not gonna make that mistake twice!

Continued to bomb downhill, back into some singletrack, and then there was another long, long climb on fireroad and switching over to trails occasionally, with some very steep sections. It was very exposed, and the sun beat down, first time i've really felt hot this year! Didn't stop me, and i caught the peeps that passed me, and continued up, catching a few more small groups of riders.

Eventually it began to descend again, and a few people who had been sticking to my wheel on the climb were effectively dropped.

Another descent, but this one had lots of loose dirt. I switched front tires last week (from the huge 2.55 WTB Weirwolf to the 2.1 Prowler, with huge knobs), and that was actually perfect for this course, had excellent traction the entire time.

Got back into the singletrack for the final stretch, and started getting passed by Expert riders (they had an extra little loop). Man, they FLY through the tight, twisty singletrack. I was holding a fairly solid clip, but they were moving scary-fast....i guess i need to spend more time riding in REALLY tight trails, the trees were very, very close! (One guy made about 1mins on me in that last section, looking at the results.)

Hit the last 400m of fireroad and was done!! There were just a few people at the start, so i'd ridden pretty good!

I was very happy with my ride, 1hr12mins. The results have me as in 6th place, but a friend is confused by this... He knows most of the Intermediate riders, and confirmed that i got ahead of him early on (near the start), and he never saw me again (he finished 2.5mins behind me.) He claims to have passed people that finished ahead of both of us...! And one has confirmed this, but this is particularly odd since i was so far ahead of him off the start (thus ahead of the people who beat me!!)

The best bet we have is that they must have somehow missed some portions of the course.... One guy was complaining that the course was poorly marked, which surprised me because i thought it was VERY well marked, and there was a constant stream of red arrows (and red X's on wrong turns!)

So, maybe i won my first MTB race! I felt really good, so i'd believe it...but unfortunately the results have me as 6th. Either way, i'm really happy with how i'm progressing! I'm not sure if i'm quite ready to move up to Expert (although this course would have been fine, it was only about 10-15mins of extra riding). I might stick to Int, i'm sitting in 2nd overall with a huge gap on 3rd, and 1pt down from 2nd. ;)

Next MTB race is May 10th, and looking forward to it! I've ridden the trails already, and it'll be pretty good for me.

This weekend is MayDays at the Burnaby velodrome, but i'm not sure if i'm going to go. The cost is fairly prohibitive (esp. if i have to pay for lodging), and i have NO idea what my track legs are like.... I don't think i've got a lot of high-end in my legs right now, although i know i'm stronger overall....doesn't mean i'll be very strong on the track. So pissed off that we aren't riding here.........a couple races would make it very clear to me.

So training this week depends on what my plans are...if i race, i'll do some more 300w efforts tomorrow, and more sprint/spin stuff on Wed and rest Thu. If not racing, i'll likely skip the sprints and MTB instead. *grumble*
Dave Noisy

Postby KaliBaby » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:50 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"]Okay, simmer down, don't all go talking at once, congratulating me on yet another wattage PB! =P

Image way to go Dave! sorry to hear the race results were botched up.
as long as you still feel strong and confident after your ride, I'd say prove those results wrong next time :wink:
KaliBaby

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:48 pm

[quote="KaliBaby"][quote="Dave Noisy"]Okay, simmer down, don't all go talking at once, congratulating me on yet another wattage PB! =P

Image way to go Dave! sorry to hear the race results were botched up.
as long as you still feel strong and confident after your ride, I'd say prove those results wrong next time :wink:

Wahoo - thanks! =)

Will be interesting to see in a couple weeks..

Decided not to go to Burnaby, so got a bit of a rest week now..went offroad last night for an hour. Got a small sidewall puncture that's been very annoying - the sealant seals it up, but as soon as i start riding, it starts to leak... Are there patches for tires??
Dave Noisy

Postby fredrikw » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:21 am

[quote="Dave Noisy"]Are there patches for tires??

yeah, ask your LBS.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:24 am

[quote="fredrikw"][quote="Dave Noisy"]Are there patches for tires??

yeah, ask your LBS.

I've used the Park boots, that are supposed to be for short-term use, for months in a tire with no problems. They do eventually get dry and crack tho. I pretty much always carry one of these with me now.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Dave Noisy » Sun May 03, 2009 2:20 am

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"][quote="fredrikw"][quote="Dave Noisy"]Are there patches for tires??

yeah, ask your LBS.

I've used the Park boots, that are supposed to be for short-term use, for months in a tire with no problems. They do eventually get dry and crack tho. I pretty much always carry one of these with me now.

Oh, that's interesting...will have to check out.

In the mean time, i tried gluing (with a good epoxy) a small piece of tube to the outside of the tire, with the goal of just shoring it all up. Rode around on Tuesday, and it held up very well, although when i got home the tube bit just fell off.. I gooped a bit more glue on it, and it seems to have made a good, solid 'scab'! Will be riding tomorrow, so let's hope it holds under 'normal' conditions. (The scab might not be airtight, but if it prevent bigger holes from forming, the goop should do its job.) Next time i goo a tire, i'm going to put sparkles (glitter) in as well - supposedly they help with making bigger 'chunks' to block bigger holes. =)

Back to training:

Apr 28 - 1hr easy-ish MTB ride in the evening, where i blew the hole

Apr 29 - helped a bunch of elementary kids develop some MTB skills (grades 2-5), despite hating kids, it was kinda fun. I taught basic climbing and descending skills. Will be doing a bunch more of these. Getting paid nearly $20/hr for this too!!!

Apr 30 - 2hr EM w/1.5x8min@300w, 2min rest - 1.5 because i failed 4mins into the second one...ouch.. First one (302w) went very well, but HR went up quick on the second, and wasn't holding 300w (averaged 294w). Will keep working at these.

May 1 - rest

May 2 - 3.25hrs OBB group ride, kept up with the speedy folks for a couple hrs, then backed-off, because:

Might race 3 times next week... There's the hilly circuit race on Wed, a flat crit on Sat (yay!) and MTB race on Sunday. Not sure if it's a good idea to do all three...we'll see.. Def. doing the latter two tho.

Pre-riding the MTB course tomorrow, hoping to get a few more hrs in as well. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby fredrikw » Mon May 04, 2009 8:08 pm

I'd recommend using the kind of glue you use for fixing tubes, since they make the rubbers amalgamate instead of creating a binding layer like perhaps epoxy does?
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby helmut » Tue May 05, 2009 3:30 am

congrats on the good race result!!! boooo that they screwed it up!
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed May 06, 2009 3:21 am

Thanks Helmut!
[quote="fredrikw"]I'd recommend using the kind of glue you use for fixing tubes, since they make the rubbers amalgamate instead of creating a binding layer like perhaps epoxy does?

Yes...tubular glue is pretty dense too...

Having a hell of a time tho. Just tried the bright green Slime stuff, it was CRAP. Barely could even stop air when the tire was still, and of course failed once moving.....

Although i'm starting to suspect that with 29" tires, much more goop is necessary...i've got a tube in the rear for now. A tire patch kit is being ordered, will give that a try.
Dave Noisy

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs