Noisy Cycling 2009 - It's Cyclocross Season - wahoo!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:04 pm

[quote="fredrikw"][quote="Dave Noisy"]First race of the year will be MTB, on March 8th, wahoo! I don't plan to really compete, but just ride it.

Yeah yeah, you know what happens when you stand there on the starting line, "just ride" never goes well when you have a starting number on the bike :)

Oh, how i prove you wrong! Have you ever gotten in a start line, and the sprinted to your car? Read on...

Been away a few weeks, got busy, and then got sick, but am back at it! Catching up:

Feb 25 - Easy OA ride, 1.5hrs

Feb 26 - MTB 2hrs + 2hrs road (read: rode to trails)

Feb 27 - rest day

Feb 28 - OBB ride 3.25hrs

Mar 1 - MTB 2+2hrs

Mar 2 - Climb 3hrs

Mar 3 - Rest

Mar 4 - Climb 2hrs

Mar 5 - MTB 2.5hrs + .5hrs

Mar 6 - Climb 2.5hrs

Mar 7 - EZ OBB ride 2.75hrs (took our OA riders out)

Mar 8 - MTB Race - see below

Mar 9 - Climb 3hrs

Mar 10 - 1hr EM

Mar 11 - Climb 2hrs

Mar 12 - 'Cross ride, 1.75hrs

Mar 13 - Climb 3hrs

Mar 14 - OBB ride (felt STRONG)

Mar 15 - MTB 2hrs (pretty ez)

..and this was where i was supposed to pick up the training load again, but..

Mar 16 - 19 - rest sicko, as i wrote in my log - AWFUL flu, on my ass.

Significantly better today, tho guessing still only ~70%.

Climbing tonite, OBB ride Saturday (prolly easy), Sunday going to pre-ride an upcoming MTB race course. Next week will have to begin killing myself again. Really sucks having this week off after a rest week!!

First MTB Race
Island Cup - Port Alberni

(2.5hrs north of Victoria)

Okay, so we got there well in advance of the start time. I was told laps would be 30-40mins, so with an hour to go, our little OA group headed out to do a lap.

Over 20mins in, and not having covered a helluva lotta ground, i turned our slowest member back...

50mins into the warm-up lap, getting nervous as the finish still nowhere in sight, and the race starts in 10mins.

We find a shortcut, and book it to the start. I don't even have time to drop my extra layer, or get food and water (all gone from the pre-ride), so i figure i'll just go to the start line, and stop at the car.

Which is what i do. I arrive, i yell out 'drop me down to Intermediate, i can't do three laps!' and we're OFF! It's one big pack. I know this is going to hurt me.

Luckily the group rides right by where we're parked, so i peel off. I go to the car, take off layer, pop some Clif gels into my mouth, and grab my sugar water.

I'm on the bike, travel 70m (about 15 seconds from the car), and i'm already at the back of the pack, and there's a LONG line of people ahead of me, and it goes straight into singletrack. FRACK!

So the first 3/4 of my first lap was catching and passing people. 26 people, to be exact, based on the results. By then, i'd caught the eventual #2 women's finisher, and i stuck to her wheel for the rest of the event (she was just behind the #1 woman.)

First lap was 49min, second lap 48mins. I finished as 3rd, or DNF, depending on how you want to score me. On my first lap, i also called out 'drop me to Intermediate!!!', and they said 'okay', since i had neither the interest or supplies (food and water) to do a 3rd 50min lap. (Well, technically 4th since i'd already done one earlier!)

So that's 3rd in Intermediate (top rider 4.5mins ahead of me, 2nd was 20 seconds ahead), or DNF in Expert (as they did 3 laps.) Top Expert rider was doing 40min laps - ouch! I guess that's one way to keep it to 2hrs..haha

The course was BRUTAL. All i could ride, with the exception of two parts, a steep short bit right off a scary bridge, and a rock face that i'd be willing to try in a non-race situation..

The rest of the course was 95% singletrack, and most of that roots and mud. So much mud. Even with my 4.5" of cushy Niner FS, i was getting fairly beat up by the trail..couldn't imagine riding that with a hardtail. A lap was nearly 10km i found out afterwards.

It was fun tho, and spending the entire race either passing people (which killed me on the first lap...sit sit sit, get by SPRINT sit sit sit sit, get by SPRINT!! x 24) or with others was a neat experience (i expected that, and planned for it once i realized my situation at the start.)

I'm looking forward to a 'normal' race tho, where i start with a group of my peers, and continue that way. ;)

This was also the first race for other 2009 OA racers, and we had excellent finishers all around!

Rita was in the Beginner Women, and won her first bike race, and third MTB ride ever!

Jen was in the Intermediate Women in her first MTB race, and finished 4th despite not having any food with no prep after the "warm-up".

Alyssa put on the best show, finishing 3rd in the Expert Women's field after 3 laps and 2:43mins slogging through the much (i can't imagine how much worse the 3rd lap would have been!!)

Next race in early April i believe, i'll be more ready for it. ;)

[Edit - race was in Port Alberni, not Parksville.]
Last edited by Dave Noisy on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Noisy

Postby fredrikw » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:51 pm

sounds like a great first experience, it can only get better now :D

perhaps you're more of a mtb marathon person, and not the XC type. I never do good on shorter races, I need at least three hours of suffering to excel :)

[quote="Dave Noisy"]I'm looking forward to a 'normal' race tho, where i start with a group of my peers, and continue that way. ;)

huh? that's a group ride and not a race man :lol:
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:42 pm

haha - yeah, something like that! A nice fast group ride without any stops. ;)

I don't have the head to do Marathon races that long..i get bored.

For the last few days:

Mar 20 - final rest day

Mar 21 - OBB group ride, 3+hrs, felt good as long as wattage stayed below 500w

Mar 22 - MTB, rode out at Cobble Hill (45mins away) - FUN trails!! Pre-rode one of the upcoming XC courses, and some other epic trails, rode for over 3hrs, grand old time.

Almost feeling normal...feels gross going really hard, but good otherwise!
Dave Noisy

Postby helmut » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:44 pm

sounds like your team did awesome in the race! nice :D

sorry to hear that you're not 100%- i've been off the bike for like 3 weeks due to shitty health/shitty other stuff. gaah!!! getting back into it now though.
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby flightlessbirds » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:26 am

Sounds like an interesting first MTB race experience... congrats though on getting the first one under your belt!
flightlessbirds

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks! Yeah, it was a wacky experience in some ways..haha.. Definitely looking forward to going into it more prepared.

Been feeling a lot better, tho still not 100%. Catching up:

Mar 23 - Climbed, 2.5hrs - last session until the fall... =(

Mar 24 - .5hr ride on the new BLUE!

Mar 25 - 2.25hr EM w/20m Tempo (~249w)

Here's a pic of the new bike:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6 ... =757445537

The 165mm cranks are DIFFERENT!!! I thought i'd do a short Tempo session to get a feel for 'em..it felt harder, yet easier...it was weird. Might be i'm still recovering from my cold too.

Climbing out of the saddle is a different experience, but i think i like it.

The frame is very nice, best i've ridden. Weighs 17.8lbs w/PowerTap, which is pretty cool. I suspect the Noah will be under 17lbs when i get my new wheels....yikes!!

It's handles like a race bike, and quite literally fits like my track bike, with really low bars (and that's with three spacers.)

Doesn't look good with the kit tho..hehe

Noticed something funny, i compared the group rides i did last week and the week before. Last week was with an 'easier' group, and the ride before that was fairly 'hard'.

Somehow, my average speed and wattage were higher on the 'slower' ride!! Over 10w more..! How strange.

So i'm back on the bike 5-6 days a week now, and stopping climbing.. Kinda sad, but i'm excited to be riding more too. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:25 am

[quote="Dave Noisy"]T... but i'm excited to be riding more too. =)

excellent! thats the most important thing, eh?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby veganjosh » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:55 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"]So i'm back on the bike 5-6 days a week now, and stopping climbing.. Kinda sad, but i'm excited to be riding more too. =)

I know what you mean...I actually started climbing this winter, as well. I'd never done it before, and worked my way up to V3s over a couple months, but I've forced myself to completely stop until October when track season is over.
veganjosh

Postby hagard » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:50 pm

that's an aggressive looking bike! Looks very fast! You must be really flexible to be able to ride with that drop :shock: I don't even think I'd be able to reach down :oops:
hagard

Postby Dave Noisy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:12 am

Hey Cleet - i'd agree, dunno why you're spending all that time swimming and running. ;)

Josh - cool, i didn't know! How do you have time to lift, ride and climb??? I could barely squeeze climbing in, and don't lift!!

Hagard - yep, i think i just have a funny physiology..you can see the seat is really pushed forward too, i have short femurs i guess.

On the training front:

Mar 26 - Opted for a rest day, didn't feel too spunky

Mar 27 - went out with friends to practice MTB skillz, not to stressful, out for 2hrs

Mar 28 - OBB ride, 3.25hrs, feelings strong again, took off after the first stop, people were slow to get started, ended up riding that leg of the ride solo! Did lots of strong pulls, 300w feels pretty tame now.

Mar 29 - 4.5hrs on the MTB! 2hrs on the roads/trailways, and about 2.5hrs on the trails, although it was a slow pace, 5hrs out on the bike total tho!

Mar 30 - rest day, seem to still have quite a bit of mucous in the system, but feeling a LOT better. Maybe 90% now. Big efforts (over 800w) still feel gross.

Will see what i feel like tomorrow...prolly more tempo. I'm enjoying this 'toughening of the legs' process. MTB and 'cross races will be much more tolerable. It's not looking terribly promising for the track either...fingers crossed tho. If there's no track, i'll focus more on MTB racing i think. : \

Here i am on Friday, doing a one-handed trackstand. ;)

Dave Noisy

Postby fredrikw » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:17 am

would someone please raise that guy in the background's saddle, it looks like he's sitting on the top tube! :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:23 am

[quote="fredrikw"]would someone please raise that guy in the background's saddle, it looks like he's sitting on the top tube! :)

haha - some people feel like they need to lower their saddle in order to ride on rocks and down stairs, etc..haha..

I actually tried it on a technical downhill section...didn't help. I'm just as happy with my saddle up. =)

Mar 31 - 1.5hr EM, w/6x King George Terrace loops (see below)

Apr 1 - rest day!

Apr 2 - 1hr EM

The KGT laps are just down the street from me, it's basically a city block with a couple hills. The direction i was going in is something like:

Steady climb for ~300m, right turn, a bit steeper for another 150m, then downhill ~250m. Right turn into steep 60m climb, then flat for 50m, second 40m climb, but steeper, top is another 100m of shallow uphill, then steep drop and ~300m and left turn into the beginning of this paragraph. ;)

Laps were about 5:20, averaging 250w, lower cadence on the climbs, out of saddle on the steeper ones. Idea is climatizing my legs to the shorter cranks, and 'toughening' them a bit more. Also, this route is very similar to one of the weekly race courses here.

Getting used to the cranks.. On the flats, it feels MUCH easier hitting and holding higher wattages..i seem inclined to ride at 260w (instead of 220-240w), adn my cadence has gone up again..hehe.. And in sections when the speed picks up, both wattage and cadence pick up even more, and it feels nearly effortless...funny. =)

Tomorrow i'm hoping to get out on the MTB for a fairly easy ride, Sat will be easy RR, and Sunday is our second MTB race in Cukecumberland. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:36 pm

Raced last weekend in my 2nd MTB race. Course was about the same length, though i somehow rode it faster! It was TOUGH tho, with a million roots..constantly running over roots..ouch...my lower back was TORCHED.

Finished much closer to the leaders as well, and had a 'normal' start, and was with the front of my group when we hit the singletrack. =)

Very please, i paced pretty well, and rode faster than the people who were close to me at the previous event, so an improvement! Finished 6th (out of 21) in the Intermediate field, less than 5mins from the leader (who was called out as a sandbagger...haha!) #2 was a couple mins ahead of me (my finish time was 1'23"57.) I believe i'm now sitting at #1 in the series..yip!

See below for photos.

Did some hill repeats on Tues (yesterday), at the Observatory. Want to get more lower-cadence/threshold work in, esp. with the 165mm cranks. Goal was 3 full efforts, averaging 300w. Ride to the top was in the 7"20 range, first averaged 305w, and felt good. Second was 301w, and i struggled near the top. Third was 304w, but i was fading fast, and stopped half-way. I'm happy with that, esp. with a race in my legs a couple days before. Next time will attempt 4 repeats. Holding 300w for over 28mins is a pretty solid workout, and will help with TT and MTB efforts.

Basic details:

Apr 3 - 1.5hr MTB Skillz session - i've still got my 2 wheel hopping skills, was hopping across logs like i used to, very cool! Pogo effort not successful at all.

Apr 4 - OBB ride, took it easy in anticipation for:

Apr 5 - MTB race, Cumberland, 6th/21 in Intermediate, very happy with racing effort

Apr 6 - rest day!

Apr 7 - 2hr EM w/2.5HC efforts up Obs

Resting today, likely MTB on Thur, rest or skillz on Fri, will go hard on group ride on Sat, and more MTB Sun.

Photos!

Here are some more shots from the last couple races i've been in. From Port Alberni a few weeks ago, this was a loose, sloshy drop:

http://www.2amphotos.com/gallery/755658 ... E8DKp-L-LB

I look drugged here, really just tired:

http://www.2amphotos.com/gallery/755658 ... XDwFv-L-LB

From Cumberland last weekend, coming off a pretty big drop:

http://www.2amphotos.com/gallery/782036 ... YE2H8-L-LB

Smile! You can also see how much my front fork compressed!

http://www.2amphotos.com/gallery/782036 ... JeP3K-L-LB

And another log-drop:

http://www.2amphotos.com/gallery/782036 ... oUWy9-L-LB

In the last shot, you can clearly see the VeganFitness.net decal on my top tube. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby Dave Noisy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:09 am

Apr 8 - rest!

Apr 9 - MTB ride, 2hrs on road, 1.5hrs on trails (see below)

Apr 10 - rest!!

Fun ride on Thursday, did my first solo MTB ride!! It felt a bit weird being out there 'alone', but was a great experience. It's very different riding solo, i got a MUCH better workout in, as i'm not constantly stopping and waiting for people.. I managed to get my lower-bad aching as well, which is good, as i need to toughen it up (not an issue when stopping every few mins..) I had maybe three short (1min) stops. The loop i normally do was completed in about 1hr 15mins, which is a LOT faster than 'normal', often closer to 2hrs, although done in 1hr30 once. Kinda cool, as i can just keep riding and hit more trails..hehe..

Tomorrow riding with my buddy Kevin McF who's in town visiting, and an MTB group ride on Sunday.

Small update on the track - we're locked out until at least May, but some chance for reconsideration then... I think our board is letting us down tho - they were told at the last meeting that the item wasn't on the agenda because the sub-committee hadn't finished their report.... I would have been screaming and throwing a fit were i there.....enough is enough, they've drawn this out far enough....gaaah!

I'm enjoying my MTB training, but i really miss having the track to train on...it's perfect for doing my intervals (ie, holding 300w as long as i can..haha)
Dave Noisy

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Apr 11 - 4hr ride with Kevin - solid! And nice to hang out with my bud. =)

Apr 12 - 2.5hrs MTB - was actually out for 4hrs, solid first hour riding with some faster friends, then met with my 'gang' to ride a 'secret' trail, took us three hrs to get back to the car, but my computer only logged 1.5hs of riding in that time.

Apr 13 - MTB Skillz Session - out on the trails for 3hrs, showing peeps how to ride up and down stuff, pretty fun.

Apr 14 - 2.5hr EM w/4x Ob HC, each effort in the 7:20 range, wattage was 299, 295, 300, 303

Apr 15 - much needed REST!

I logged nearly 14hrs on the bike the last four days (although big chunks of non-riding.) Fun! Feeling stronger and stronger...

The ride on the 12th was pretty fun, although a lot of waiting around. It was raining and cold, and i dressed lightly, so was pretty cold...

The climbs on the 14th were solid - managed to hold the wattage i needed to! Nearly 30mins at 300w!! I think my legs are now used to the shorter cranks, going to start doing these on flat stretches... Goal is to be able to hold that 300w for at least 25mins, for the local TT. (And of course to help with 'cross and MTB racing.)

Fun times.
Dave Noisy

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs