Noisy Cycling 2009 - It's Cyclocross Season - wahoo!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:56 am

Feb 6 - 2.5hr climb - kindy sucky session, tho tried a few new routes, and was one hold off from cleaning a 10d that i've done twice.

Feb 7 - 3.5hrs, group ride - legs felt like crap until the sprint, and i just LAUNCHED! Prolly would have gotten a wattage PB, but the spot where the sprint is sometimes cuts out, and i can see a number of points were missing... Still, surprisingly good sprint, i was just crushing the pedals! Got nipped at the line so only second, but happy with the effort.

Feb 8 - 4.25hrs MTB - rode out to the trails, which extended the total mileage significantly, felt great the whole time tho, surprisingly! Really helps that my MTB is AKA Sofa King. =) Also, found that there are trails along most of the route, so of the 1hr it takes to ride to the Dump, about 15mins are on roads...pretty sweet.
Dave Noisy

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:18 pm

sounds like some excellent winter training :!:
Mr. Cleetus

Postby flightlessbirds » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:38 pm

What is this hill classification system based on? The 10d 'n such? If you wouldn't mind explaining.
flightlessbirds

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:06 am

Thanks Cleetster, i'm *very* happy with my training this spring. I wasn't sure earlier on if i'd be able to improve my performance from last year, but i'm starting to feel like i may be able to up my game a bit....!!

[quote="flightlessbirds"]What is this hill classification system based on? The 10d 'n such? If you wouldn't mind explaining.

This is for rock climbing, not hill climbing. =)

Basically, if any face is impossible to walk up, it's given a '5' rating. (A steep but walkable hill would be a '4'. Flat ground a '1'.)

Then there are sub-categories. A 5.1 would require climbing, but would be so easy that no ropes would really be required (tho a good idea if it's more than a few meters.) A climbing gym will start around 5.4, and progresses 5.5 thru 5.9. 5.9 you start to see much smaller holds, and further apart.

At 5.10, it's broken into further sub-sub-categories, thus the a, b, c and d.

Next of course is 5.11a, and continues the same way. The degree of difficulty increases significantly between each jump. So being able to complete a 5.10a is pretty good, but a 5.10c will be significantly more challenging.

A 5.15 is pretty much a horizontal plane (ie, ceiling) with maybe a few cracks you can stick a pinky into. Spiderman terrain. 5.13's are about as hard as humans can generally can do. ;)

That's a quick primer. =)

On with what i've been up to:

Feb 9 - rest day!! My tendons in my hands love me now.

Feb 10 - 25m T (indoors, ~253w, hard as hell, had to quit! Entire session was 45m!!)

Feb 11 - bouldered 2hrs (climb w/o rope), did a bunch of fun routes

Feb 12 - 2hr EM w/5xHSS (see below)

Feb 13 - 3hr climb, excellent session!

Feb 14 - 3hr group ride, ~5th in the sprint, a bit far back, but got a new 5second wattage PB! Up to 1188w from 1185w. Also peaked 1228w in the sprint, not bad for me after 2.5hrs of hard riding!

Feb 15 - 2.5hr MTB session, fairly easy

Feb 16 - 3hr climb, good session, now working on 11a's.

Feb 17 - 2.75hr EM w/35m T, averaged ~253w again! Last 10min actually felt pretty good! Final minute was awful tho.

5x HSS (Feb 12)

Legs didn't feel great, but did these anyway!

Max Spd: 58.02
Max Cad: 126
Max Wts: 1159
5 Sec Wts: 1062

Max Spd: 55.2
Max Cad: 124
Max Wts: 1193
5 Sec Wts: 1033

Max Spd: 54.38
Max Cad: 131
Max Wts: 1146
5 Sec Wts: 949

Max Spd: 52.82
Max Cad: 126
Max Wts: 1192
5 Sec Wts: 1020

5 (half-assed effort, tired!!)
Max Spd: 52.82
Max Cad: 124
Max Wts: 950
5 Sec Wts: 904

This is improving quite a bit from my previous session (Jan 11), i'm consistently hitting 100w more, and holding the 5sec over 1000w too. I'm going to hit the track in April with a pretty solid sprint it seems!

On the MTB front, i'm trying out a tubeless setup now, eager to see how it goes with even lower tire pressure (will start off at ~25psi).

ALSO! I finally rode that final switchback that was kicking my ass!! It was so easy..just mind over matter..gaah..

Hopefully will have some news on my summer road bike soon...and for those who have a few minutes to spare and are into this stuff, check out the Sponsorship Pack i put together for OrganicAthlete Victoria - would you give us your money? =)

http://www.thevictoriavegan.com/organic ... s-pack.pdf
Dave Noisy

Postby helmut » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:13 am

that sponsorship package looks really schmick! does the photos page have a billion pics of you or what :P
helmut

Postby fredrikw » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:58 am

Tubeless? As in a heavy UST setup or regular tires with some latex goo? I'm finally taking the plunge this season as well.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:27 am

[quote="helmut"]that sponsorship package looks really schmick! does the photos page have a billion pics of you or what :P

Bwahahaa - thanks! I tried hard not to post too many of myself, but i seem to end up in a lot..haha..

Fredrik - i don't know if they're heavy UST..my front is in the 725g range (2.55), rear is 650g (2.1), don't forget they're Niner tires.

Lost two 150-250g tubes, gained heavier rim strips and 2x~50g of goop...seems like i'm a bit lighter. ;)

Rode 'em today, pretty sweet! They really do feel different, somehow smoother. Had the rear down around 20psi! The new front (went from WTB Prowler to Weirwolf) is interesting. It's a freaking magnet in singletrack, but i think i prefer the Prowler at high speeds, plus it brakes VERY well (stop on a dime) where i don't feel like i have that type of grip now..might just take some adjusting tho.

The rear started leaking a bit of air after some aggressive riding, but i just spin the wheel so the leak was at the bottom, and it stopped about 2 seconds later. Woot! No other problems.

Got new grips, had foam ones, but i was twisting and spinning them..so got some rubber PRO lock-ons. Don't like as much as the foam, but they're alright.

Logwise:

Feb 18 - climb, short session, worked on the 11a's some more

Feb 19 - MTB, 2.75hrs, FUN session, i seemed 'on', tore it up.

This Sunday looks like a few of us are heading up to Duncan for a big group ride there on some different trails, looking forward to that!

Also, my bday party on Sat night, that ought to be a lot of fun, poker and a Wii...hehehehe!
Dave Noisy

Postby fredrikw » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:28 am

[quote="Dave Noisy"]Fredrik - i don't know if they're heavy UST..my front is in the 725g range (2.55), rear is 650g (2.1), don't forget they're Niner tires.

Yeah, those are definitely on the heavier side, but then again 29'er tires are bound to be heavier. If they are UST tires they usually have UST written on the side of the tire. Since you are using rim strip and latex goo you don't need the extra weight of a UST tire, if that's what you have.

Good to hear you like them, I have been riding light weight tubes for many years, but are converting to tubeless this year, it's going to be interesting to see the results. My wheels will be about 200g lighter with this setup (new super light weight rims -80g, no tubes -100g, lighter racing tires -75g), which is a huge weight cut.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby helmut » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:47 pm

happy birthday davey!!!! its saturday here :)
helmut

Postby flightlessbirds » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:15 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"]

[quote="flightlessbirds"]What is this hill classification system based on? The 10d 'n such? If you wouldn't mind explaining.

This is for rock climbing, not hill climbing. =)

Haha, shows what I have on the brain! All this time I thought you were doing hours and hours of hill climbing on your bike every week! Ah well, sounds like a fantastic spring training schedule on and off the bike!
flightlessbirds

Postby Crash » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:38 pm

Happy belated Birthday Dave!

Demolisher of faces and my enemies beards (no matter where they are located) since 2002.

www.PCRM.org
Click here to help homeless animals.

All truth goes through 3 stages - 1st it's ridiculed. Then it's violently opposed. Finally it's accepted as self-evident.
Crash

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:28 pm

Aww - thanks for all the bday wishes! =)

I had an awesome bike and OA cake and pie made for me:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5 ... =757445537

Fredrik - losing weight in the wheels is big...i think they do spin up faster now. Also, no UST markings.

flightlessbirds - haha - shit, that'd be a LOT!!! I would be a climbing GOD after that tho..!!

Catching up on The Log:

Feb 20 - 3hrs climbing, feeling sore/tired/frustrated.

Feb 21 - OBB ride - DESTROYED the pack in the sprint!! Made about 10m on the next rider, insane. Went into it seated too, jumping out of the saddle at the last moment, and PUMPED IT! Got a new 30second wattage PB of 787w, up 19w from an effort in July. Funny too, since i don't sprint for 30 seconds, this includes the lead-in.

Feb 22 - 2hr MTB - went to the 'Zoo in Duncan, fun trails, all singletrack, though not nearly as technical as the Dump, good steady pace too.

Feb 23 - climb 3hrs, made some good 'discoveries', totally smoothed out a couple 11a's i've been working on.

Feb 24 - 1.75hrs, 8x Power Starts - ouch (see below)

Going for a light OA Victoria group ride today with a bunch of the beginners, our chapter has grown a lot and we'll have LOTS of representation all over the board, including MTB and 'Cross. Also have several sponsors for the club, and so getting discounted clothing - yip!

Power Starts
Standing starts, 53x16, into an uphill, and with a headwind (same place as i usually do these, tho the headwind was 'new'. ;)

Had some more impressive numbers in the last PS session, but overall this is great, staying closer to the 1,100w range much longer, and holding over 1000w at the 8th effort - pretty marvy!

My cadence wasn't getting as high (~102 vs ~107), and my top speed a few kph lower...which prolly translates to a better workout in the end. =)

Also, looking at the time of the efforts, i was going upwards of 18 seconds, where these should be 10-12s. By #5, was feeling REALLY gross. Light-headed after each effort, nauseous, and the wind blowing in my face was giving me a face-ache. I was thinking of stopping at 6, but it felt alright, and #7 felt good, so went to 8, and stopped while ahead. Eased home.

I think that if you've got a sprinters build, doing these can help you relate to what it feels like to be one of those without fast twitch muscles. Starting from a stop at a Stop Sign was dreadful!! hahahhaha..

Efforts:

1 (Accidently stopped short)
Max Spd: 44.12
Max Cad: 99
Max Wts: 1163
5 Sec Wts: 1120

Max Spd: 45.63
Max Cad: 103
Max Wts: 1217
5 Sec Wts: 1139

Max Spd: 46.05
Max Cad: 103
Max Wts: 1111
5 Sec Wts: 1086

Max Spd: 45.21
Max Cad: 102
Max Wts: 1116
5 Sec Wts: 1082

5 (felt like crap on this one)
Max Spd: 45.07
Max Cad: 102
Max Wts: 1054
5 Sec Wts: 1035

Max Spd: 45.07
Max Cad: 100
Max Wts: 1077
5 Sec Wts: 1004

7 (felt good for some reason)
Max Spd: 44.66
Max Wts: 1004
5 Sec Wts: 989

Max Spd: 44.52
Max Wts: 1064
5 Sec Wts: 1000
Dave Noisy

Postby helmut » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:35 pm

oh wow- that food looks amazing!!!!!!!!!

solid training, as always 8)
helmut

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:31 am

Yep, pretty tasty! =)

Workin' it..

Feb 24 - OA group ride, pretty easy, 1.5hrs

Feb 25 - 4hrs MTB (1/2 road, 1/2 trails) - another semi-epic offroad adventure, yip! Starting to enjoy riding out to the trails..

First race of the year will be MTB, on March 8th, wahoo! I don't plan to really compete, but just ride it.

Will post a new thread about my new bike.....
Dave Noisy

Postby fredrikw » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:20 am

[quote="Dave Noisy"]First race of the year will be MTB, on March 8th, wahoo! I don't plan to really compete, but just ride it.

Yeah yeah, you know what happens when you stand there on the starting line, "just ride" never goes well when you have a starting number on the bike :)
fredrikw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs