Noisy Cycling 2009 - It's Cyclocross Season - wahoo!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Frostfire » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:52 am

Excellent! Good job and go OA!
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby JuicyJ » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:24 am

wow Dave

if I move back to Canada I am going to have to up my game 8)

I think I could use the renewed challenge - riding was a great love of mine . -change is good and I need to mix it up and get more radical again -
nah I am not competitive :lol:
JuicyJ

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:25 pm

Noisy is on page two! What has happened to the posting machine :?:
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:50 am

Thanks Frosty!!

Thanks juicylessV, get on it! ;)

Cleetus - no idea what you're trying to say?!

Okay, stupidly busy week, let's try and catch up, firing up WKO...

Tue (Jun 30) - rest day

Wed - Hurricane Ridge, 5.5hrs on the bike, new wattage PB's in the 1hr and 2hr range. HUGE TSS: 384.6 - yowzers!! Averaged 163w (212NP). Rode up from the toll booth to the top in about 1hr11min, here's the gradient:

http://trail.motionbased.com/...

Started in earnest around 12km just after where it leveled out.

Thu - Durian Cup #2, the Get Oriented! race, it was a blast, i managed to get out and race too, and finished 3rd in the A's, woot! 22 peeps total, it's growing bit by bit, lotsa repeat riders too.

Fri - much needed rest

Sat - tabled for OA at a new 'Bikefest' event. It was pretty slow, but got a little interest. Went offroad and logged nearly 4hrs riding time, and i was pretty spent and fatigued, so beginning a rest week.

Sun - 1hr recovery ride. TSS = 15.4 - HAHAHA! Max watts was 294w, and averaged 81w (94MP)...hehe

Taking tomorrow off, maybe a couple hours on Tue, rest Wed, maybe rest Thu or a couple hours, off Fri, then group ride Sat, and another epic Tour de Dump on Sunday, planning another 5hr ride. (~7hrs out.)

MTB Power Tap has arrived!!!! Waiting for the rim now..grrr..

Got a new CamelBak too - need something that holds more water! Got the MULE NV, with the new 'off the back' technology, it was pretty good on Sat!! Lots of storage, and has a 3L bladder.. I stuck an ice pack in there too, so it was like sipping from a fountain...nice..

Also flatted again on Sat, nearly tore a knob off the tread!!! Currently patching it, my system seems to work! The sidewall also had a hole, and it's been holding up nicely.

Yay, rest week! I'm still feeling *very* motivated to train, but am excited that the rest should help a fair bit too. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:05 am

[quote="Dave Noisy"]

...that your log had descended to the second page of logs until I bumped it up.

Looks like a solid week! No news about the Ridley?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Dave Noisy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:51 am

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"][quote="Dave Noisy"]

...that your log had descended to the second page of logs until I bumped it up.

Looks like a solid week! No news about the Ridley?

Ahh - thanks for the bump then! =P

The Ridley is RIP as far as i'm concerned. Looking at the Roubaix i was considering previously.

Enjoying my time off - went for a 1hr Recovery Ride yesterday, TSS was 15.4 - HAHAHHA!!

I'm on Twitter now if any readers are:

http://twitter.com/VeganCyclist

Predictable handle. ;)
Dave Noisy

Postby helmut » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:42 am

just added you on twitter dave! :D
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby Dave Noisy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:15 am

Twitter has been fun. Neat getting updates from Lance, Levi, George and Wiggins!

Rest week was a success, i rode on the MTB for less than an hour on Wed night, and otherwise stayed off the bike..!!

Back on today, took a little while to get things going, but felt strong after a couple hours...destroyed the group i was with on one of the longer climbs, and same with the sprint, but it was just a little group.. Got a TSS around 240 for the day...oops..didn't mean to jump in that hard!

Another 7hr day on the MTB planned for tomorrow, yip! Tour de Dump!

Durian Cup has been a hoot, check out the trophy pictures and race reports here:

http://www.organicathlete.org/blog/durian-cup
Dave Noisy

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:23 pm

Still twittering, just posted a comment on downhill MTB riders:

http://twitter.com/VeganCyclist

hehe..

So the Durian Cup is done!! Another 15 riders out last night, the course marking got a little goofed, but everyone made it up and down somehow!

Ride last Sunday was good, managed to cut 40mins off the ride time in the MTB loop - ouch!! My TSS for the week was 513, and that was just the Sat and Sunday (i took the week off!!)

Had a great training session on Tues, 3x5mins@300w, 1min rests, then 10mins rest, and then 2x5mins, and 1min rest. Here's the output:

Ave Wts: 295
Ave Cad: 105
Ave Spd: 39.4
Ave Wts: 296
Ave Cad: 104
Ave Spd: 38.9
Ave Wts: 295
Ave Cad: 105
Ave Spd: 39.4
Ave Wts: 291
Ave Spd: 39.0
Ave Wts: 284
Ave Spd: 39.0

I was starting to feel it for the last two, but i wasn't really fading, i think the wind changed, and so i was holding the same speed with less effort, so i didn't really notice i was going 'easier'...hate that!! (I get used to moving at a certain speed and cadence..!)

I didn't make it out Thursday, as i was trying to sort out a freaking ride to the MTB park, so many people away right now, or with broken down vehicles!!!! Made it out tho. =)

As i type this, my MTB PowerTap is FINALLY being built up to a WTB Race rim, i had to compromise with slightly heavier spokes (lighter ones not it stock), but i might rebuild down the road some time anyway.. Also going with red nipples, as the green ones are a different thread pattern...but this isn't too bad, as my front wheel has red nipples, so they'll still match. (Could have gone green/red/green/red, but i don't want an xmas bike either!!)

Will pop a tubeless tire on there tonite, and go ride some of the near-by trails and rocks tonite!

Group ride tomorrow, and then another epic MTB ride Sunday - really looking forward to the PowerTap feedback on that. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:31 pm

lol at that twitter comment :lol:

from your blog it seems like vegan cyclists are slowly starting to take over the world 8)
downhillingdemon

Postby Dave Noisy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:15 am

[quote="downhillingdemon"]lol at that twitter comment :lol:

from your blog it seems like vegan cyclists are slowly starting to take over the world 8)

Actually, at Alpenrose last weekend (a big track event), two vegans broke track sprint records at the center in the kilo and 500m. Unfortunately, another guy broke the record too, and so the vegan got 2nd, but still an amazing effort!

My buddy Emile (from Victoria too) is getting very close to becoming vegan (to the point of posting vegan recipes on his FB, and highlighting that they're free of animal products!) and came in 3rd in the Pursuit, and 5th in a very tough and fast Points race.

Log-wise:

07-18 - group ride good, went again with the 'slow' group, and averaged nearly 34kph for ~3hrs. Slow actually means 'steady', avoiding attacks, but just maintaining a strong pace. Normalized power was 228w and TSS was 222.

07-19 - THE FUCKING HUB DOESN'T TRANSMIT!!! Holy shit i'm pissed. The MTB Powertap is done, and DOESN'T WORK!!! Still trying to get some tech support, i can't believe this. Done everything i can to try and get it to work, gaaaaah!!!!

Anyway, went for a solid MTB ride, did my Tour de Dump Redux cutting out an inner loop, 4hrs of ride time, we were moving at a pretty good clip...!

Rest day today, and it's all racing all week long!

* Tue - TT
* Wed - hill climb (~10mins)
* Thu - rest
* Fri - street sprints (w/couriers and hipsters, i will crush them)
* Sat - BC Cup Crit (woohoo!)
* Sun - smaller crit, just a few blocks from my place

Oh boy! At least i don't have a MTB ride planned for a good week...grrr...
Dave Noisy

Postby flightlessbirds » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:06 am

Yikes, that is shitty about the non-functional powertap! Hopefully it can be fixed or you can get your money back somehow?

It's good to hear all the great results posted by vegan athletes. Though of course I would just be happy if more people were vegan and more people exercised a little more! It is nice to demonstrate that you don't need animal products to compete at a high level.

Good luck in your races!
flightlessbirds

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Thanks! MTB PT has been sent in for repairs...hope it's back in time for my race on Aug 1!!

Race week so far:

#1 - Sidney TT - WOOHOO!! Major success!! Got a new PB of 25:55 (25:52 by my count ;) - previous PB from a couple years ago was 25:57, so nice to crack that. Even more impressive was a HUGE new wattage PB of 282w, up from 270w...which is actually nearly 1/2 way up to my goal of 300w...!!! I also think i might crack 25:30 once i bring out my aero gear (helmet, trispoke in front and skinsuit.) Got new wattage PB's in the 20 and 30min ranges, and held 299w for the first 5min. =) Also, held 364w for the final kilo (1:34).

#2 - Neald HC - it was a hill climb, rode a 10:04, never done it before, so that's my 'best'..hahah.. New 10min PB, 332w, up 8w, which was nice.

Three more nights of racing coming up...
Dave Noisy

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Hey, good work on the PB's :D
downhillingdemon

Postby Arbela » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:15 pm

Congratulations on the PBs and...

[quote="Dave Noisy"]My buddy Emile (from Victoria too) is getting very close to becoming vegan (to the point of posting vegan recipes on his FB, and highlighting that they're free of animal products!) and came in 3rd in the Pursuit, and 5th in a very tough and fast Points race...

inspiring others to explore veganism.
Arbela

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs