Noisy Cycling 2009 - It's Cyclocross Season - wahoo!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby KaliBaby » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:36 pm

sorry to hear you had technical issues during the race you wrote about on 10/6. at least you kept with it and still had a decent finish!
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:25 pm

[quote="Alistar"]Great effort Dave. :) NIce pics My calves are killing me too atm. Went to this rock concert in the WE with probably the best 4 live bands in Australasia right now. Jumped around like an idiot and it still hurts to walk. :oops:

Where abouts are you getting the pain in your leg while riding?

Calves have been fine for a while now. ;)

I was getting the pain on the bottom of my thigh (i don't think it was my hamstrings, a bit higher on the outside..)

It's been solved i think - i raised my saddle a few mm, i was fine on Tuesday's excursion!
Dave Noisy

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:36 pm

[quote="KaliBaby"]sorry to hear you had technical issues during the race you wrote about on 10/6. at least you kept with it and still had a decent finish!

Thanks!! Luckily in cyclocross you typically only lose a few mins from the average technical..

Got out on Tue for my Over/Under intervals - they went pretty well! I mixed the order up a bit, so it was:

1min 260w, 1min 350w, 2min 260w, 1min 350, 1min 260, 1min 350, 1min 260

Those def. felt harder..much less rest between the 350w efforts.

Pulled off three like that, was barely holding 350w at the end of #3. Did a fourth, and went back to the 'standard' of 2/1/2/1 and then 1/1.

So, 12mins @350w in 32mins (total) at effort (260w or more). Works out to 32mins @~300w averaged. Killerz. If i keep this up, i'm going to slay at my TT efforts next year!

Wed night VCX was canceled..they kicked us off before we could even start! A group of us went and ripped around a park, lots of tight, rooty singletrack, it was pretty fun. Got a good workout in...prolly good not to be at my red line much.

Rest today, prolly tomorrow too. Sat is another clinic, this time with guest instructor Alison Sydor - wicked!! Sunday is the third race....i'm psyched.

Next week will be an easy week. Need to back off the intensity! Still got nearly two months to go.

Also, briefly considered going to Provincial Championships, but they only have 'one' category to race in...would be fun to do regardless, but i'll definitely be getting lapped by the leaders...will keep in mind..
Dave Noisy

Postby flightlessbirds » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:36 am

Good luck on Sunday! Hopefully technical problem free!

What are over/under intervals?
flightlessbirds

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:07 pm

[quote="flightlessbirds"]Good luck on Sunday! Hopefully technical problem free!

What are over/under intervals?

Well, there really isn't an 'under' to them. =P

They're supposed to get you accustomed to functioning at high tolerances...so it's basically an 8min effort, the 'baseline' is your lactate threshold, and every 2mins you do 1mins about as hard as you can, then return to your LT, 2min later, go again, then drop back down, etc..

It's a good, challenging workout, and def. improves race performance.

Sunday was a hoot!! Dry, warmish day, another tough course that went like this:

Short climb, long climb, short descent, steep climbs, longer flat/descent, sharp corner, steep climb, DESCEND!! Then into the twisty woods, and then into the twisty field.

The climbing slaughtered me, just a bit too long for me to keep up with the light guys. The descent really worked in my favor, i flew down it. The twisty sections were great for me too, able to keep up with minimal effort..

Had a fun 'dual' for the last three laps. I think they caught me..anyway, we ended up as a group of three, fighting for 7th-9th as it turned out. They would get away from me on the climbs, but i would catch back up in the forest. (Mainly from the descent!) The recovery really helped...and once i caught them, i could recover some more since they were moving slower.

Last lap they really made a lot of distance on me on the climb (they knew they had to. ;)

I managed to catch them just after the descent. There was white and red. Red was in front, and managed to get away. I stuck to green's wheel, looking for a spot to pass....it was a very tight course, not a lot of passing happening anywhere...

There was a log in the woods, i was riding it, but most were running it. Green ran it, i rode, and sprinted up the hill as he ran, and snuck by him when he remounted...he tried hard to get by again, but i held him off.

Then we were into the field - red was ~20m ahead. I chased hard, really rode the course well. It's about 1.5mins in that section, and i pushed hard....i managed to catch him by the barriers, but the finish line was just past the barriers, so no way to pass (ie, sprint).

Green was hot on my heels tho (prolly the fastest he went through the grass! I could tell he'd be off my wheel, then work hard and get on, then off again, etc..) As i was running for the line, i knew he was RIGHT behind me! haha..i was kicking him (or his bike!)

I managed to keep ahead tho. Woot! 8th. That was fun. =)

I went so freaking hard for that last lap...haha.. I also had my lap times taken:

Lap 1: 8:44
Lap 2: 17:43 (so 8:59)
Lap 3: 26:57 (so 9:14)
Lap 4: 36:08 (so 9:11)
Lap 5: 45:01 (so 8:53)

I'm actually really surprised how consistent i was...

A few pics, with 'green' in front of me:

I'm now sitting in 6th place overall in the series... I'm really doing well to shrink the gap between me and 1st, my buddy Roland.

First race he finished over 3mins ahead of me. 2nd race i shrunk that to 2.5min (and it was a MUCH harder course for me). This race, also a tough course for me (hills) i got it down to 1.5mins.....and i know that i'm only going to get stronger as the season progresses. =)

This week is going to be an easy week, and will start to pile it on again come the weekend!
Dave Noisy

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Awesome stuff Mr Noisy 8)

Your colour co-ordinated piccys are most entertaining too!
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby Alistar » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:00 am

Yeah great race report Dave! Fantastic to pull out your fastest lap at the end, for a well deserved 8th. Sounds to me like you had their measure on the flat though!
Alistar

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:43 pm

where's all the Noise? Have you developed RPI (repetitive posting injury)? :P
Mr. Cleetus

Previous

Return to Training Logs