Fitness Is FUN!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby gms » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:25 pm

Great photos. We are having scorpion issues here too. (outside Dallas)
Found two in my house in the last six months.
gms

Postby Frostfire » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:27 pm

Blek, scorpions are bad, but vinegroons/"whip" scorpions are scarier! Do you have them, too (they look like big black scorpions with straight stingers instead of tails)? Anyway . . .

5 July 2008
Not much training of late as my sister has been staying with me over the holiday for the last few nights. Its great to have her here, but then I end up talking all night and eating pie instead of exercising :mrgreen:

Anyway, today had an hour of patrol at work, so I used it for some speed walking and hill climbing with a pause at the top for 100 bodyweight squats. Haven't done bodyweight squats in a long time so I wanted to see how many I could do. After 100, it just got boring :P .
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:49 pm

5 July 2008 cont
Wahoo! Convinced my sister to give rock climbing a try while she was out here. We went up to the "Potatos" area and I set her up on a V0- while I worked on my V1 traverse called "Women of Leisure". My sister did really well, she didn't top out the problem, but she made a few moves, even one that was a little technical. As for me, after a few trys I made a few more moves on the traverse than last time! Finally, I've been trying for some time to get past my sticking point for this problem. Also put 25-pounds in my pack for the approach, and my legs are a little sore today for it :) (or was it the random bw squats earlier that day?).

My sister also snapped a piccie of me:
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:17 pm

6 July 2008
Another great bike ride after work, turned around right at the 8 mile mark so a total of 16 miles. It had rained a little earlier that day, so everything was fresh and clean smelling. Felt really good, maybe I should cycle more than once a week (but then again, when would I climb?!). :D
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

7 July 2008
Excessive hiking and scrambling today at work, about 4.5 - 5 hours worth (with a break in the middle for my lunch hour at my trailer). I usually don't count my patrols and such for my training, but today was a killer workout. Hiked all the way to the top of "West Mountain" which is approx. 300 ft above ground level and it was a very difficult and steep climb that went straight up. After that, much more scrambling around various boulder fields, but closer to ground level.
Frostfire

Postby Muay Jin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:02 am

Oh dear, you sound like you have a good job! park ranger?
There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

Postby dublin dave » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:15 am

Can I nominate this photo for the Phwooar thread. A strong woman climbing on rock...nice 8)
dublin dave

Postby Frostfire » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Hee, hee, I wish I was a park ranger! I'm just a lowly intern for the summer before I go back to school in a few weeks here. But I am working on a little project that gets me outside. Right now I do about 2 hours a day outside, then the other 6 are a mix of office work and customer service.

@Dublin Dave: no thanks :P
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:02 pm

9 July 2008
Went to a gym today, yay! (but "boo" because I got rained out so no climbing :cry: ).

I'm not going to list weights because I don't go on a regular basis so kept it light but I did:

Squats: 3 sets after warm-up
Leg Press: 3 sets of 15 with light weight and narrow stance
Bench: 3 sets after warm-up
Dips: 2 sets and was spent!

That was it, I'm super sore today because this is my first time in a gym this summer. I was in town running errands anyway so stopped by. Stupid rain though, I'd much rather be climbing right now :(
Frostfire

Postby JP » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:10 am

[quote="Frostfire"]
Went to a gym today, yay!

yay!

you think you will ever return to powerlifting?
JP
Site Admin

Postby Frostfire » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:12 pm

Hey JP, you know I'd love to return to powerlifting, but to compete there would have to be a "disabled" catagory. I've been lifting still for my workouts but at a much lighter volume and there is always something I can't do. This summer I got this darn job out in the middle of no-where and I have no car anymore for the long commute to the nearest gym so I do what I can. I only made it to the gym these times because a friend picks me up to run errands on my days off and I had some free time :D . Anyway, long answer to a short question ;)

10 July 2008
Back at a gym, I had half an hour so jumped on an eliptical machine for some cardio/active recovery because I am SORE from yesterday :D

The funny story for today is I hadn't brought workout cloths with me so I ran to the store and headed to the clearance section to get some shorts. Well, I ended up buying one of those "skorts", which are lycra shorts with a skirt over them. Can I say I LOVE it! It covers really well (more than just lycra shorts would) and its cute :D . Man, I am such a girly-girl sometimes :mrgreen: .
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:00 pm

Ahk! I weighed myself and I'm down to 128 pounds/58 kg (from 135/62). Whoa, I knew I lost some muscle mass this summer, but had no idea how much :( - can't wait to get back to a gym this fall :)
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:48 pm

12 July 2008
After work I went out on the rock for 2 hours of climbing. Warmed-up on various V0-'s and V0's at the Small Potatos area before going to the V1 traverse I've been working on. After a few runs, I got it! Wahoo, bagged another good climb :D . After that, moved on to the Grenade boulder to work on the V2 "Nobody Gets Out of Here Alive" where I worked the bottom part, then the crux. I felt I could have topped it out, but I was alone so didn't chance it.

Ended the day with 3 sets of 8 bat sit-ups, but no chins as my elbow was hurting a little by now.
Frostfire

Postby The Duke » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:01 pm

[quote="Frostfire"] "Nobody Gets Out of Here Alive"

Five to one, baby
... One in five

Did you do the pullout from under the lip on to the nose?
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Frostfire » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:21 pm

[quote="The Duke"]Did you do the pullout from under the lip on to the nose?

Yup, I struggled for a while on that because I wasn't used to pulling up with my heal, but that part is getting easier and easier every time I do it :D
Frostfire

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs