Fitness Is FUN!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: That spit on the squat mirror is mine

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Oh blimy FF, didn't realise you were still suffering :(

Hope you get better soon *crosses fingers*
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby gms » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:41 am

Hey! When are you coming back to Dallas?!?!?!?
gms

Postby Frostfire » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi GMS! I very sadly have an office job now that allocates very little vacation :'( *sigh* Hopefully sometime I will be back in the great state of Texas! I love that place :)

Okay, so being sick really knocked me on my bum for way longer than I would like! Flu for a week followed by a nasty lung infection that kept me down for at least two weeks, blarg. But, now that I am feeling better (well, except a lingering cough that is "productive", but the doctor said that was to be expected) and the weather is getting nicer out, I have the worst "cabin fever" at the gym! I've gone a couple times, but I just look out the windows the whole time wondering why I'm not out in the nice weather. So I've been walking, tons for me. When I don't bike to work I've been walking and I have a solid walk with the dogs every morning and evening now (was just morning in the winter). When I let them off leash, I've been doing crunches and push-ups in the park. When I do bike to work, I've been biking on my lunch break, this is about once a week so far! Cycled 5.5 miles today in 37 minutes (that is good for me). Also, went to a belly dancing class last night for the first time! Looks super fun and I've been wanting to practice martial arts, but have been unable to find something that is gentle enough for my pathetic RA riddled body. I'll get back to heavy lifting, eventually, but not right now :)
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Re: Fitness Is FUN!

Postby Frostfire » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:43 pm

My poor little log is so unorganized now. That is what happens when gym time decreases! Another lunch hour bike ride today. 35 mintues on same loop as last week - 2 minutes faster :D
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Just a little update. Been doing Belly Dance class once a week and some gym classes like zumba and yoga maybe once a week each. Still biking some and walking lots and still enjoying the change-up. Its been sort of an unintended "cutting phase" so I look freakin' awesome right now, too. Already starting to miss weights, but I want to REALLY miss them before I start up again.
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Mon May 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Another update! Been sick. Always sick. Side effect of all the pharmaceuticals I take to treat my RA. Latest sickness has been an intestinal infection that started 10 days ago. If you've never had this, pray you never get it. Can't eat much other than soy yogurt and cultured coconut milk. Just yesterday started introducing some solid foods after fasting for a couple days to let my GI tract rest. I was SO HUNGRY, my stomach is just fine, but when I would eat anyway it was just plain awfulness. I feel super weak and super hungry but I'm hoping I'm on an upswing, seems to be okay-ish today. Worst part is that I was out of town in the middle of no-where for work for 5 days last week! Can't hide that stuff from my co-workers. Had to run to use a bush (no restrooms) every hour or so. I'm trying to keep the gory details out, but let me just say that it has all been gross and no fun. :(
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Had to cut my RA meds back a little to avoid further infections, but now I'm tired and sore a LOT. But, I went to the gym, hooray! I jumped on the scale and this is what it read in pounds:

Yikes! That's 58.9 kg!! I lost a bit of muscle there, used to be 138-140 pounds (62.6-63.5kg) :( Glad to be back at it :)

5 June 2012

20 minutes eliptical to warm-up and loosen up a bit.

Squats: 20 x bar, 10 x 95 lbs, 10 x 95 lbs

Done for the day, good for a first day back and for being in some pain.
Frostfire

Postby JP » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:14 am

welcome back into it :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Frostfire » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks Joni, if you can call it "back into it" really! I've been in SO MUCH PAIN this week. Can't move my whole right arm, elbow is glued to my side. *sigh* One thing RA has taught me, I'll never be a great or inspirational athlete! And no, not fishing for compliments, just a little frustrated is all :P . On the plus side, my quads have DOMS from that little bit yesterday, makes me feel better :D .

As another side note, I moved last week because my neighbors were trying to kill my cat and were major bullies and violent in general! The husband has smacked his wife around when drunk and the only thing separating me and my animals from them was a flimsy door to the shared laundry area! Sadly, neither my landlady nor my boyfriend (who is 2000 miles away for work for a few months) understand why I felt threatened by them :x . They'd run my cats out onto the street every chance they got and they kept spreading lies about how violent my dogs are! I couldn't leave the house without them trying something and I couldn't be there to protect my critters 24/7. I left in a hurry so my friend is letting me stay with her and all my stuff is in storage. Its times like this that I hate "people" and it makes me want to do terrible things :evil:
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:06 pm

7 June 2012

20 min on elliptical machine

Shoulder Rehab Movements: 3 x 10 x 4 lbs

Bench: 3 x 10 x bar - more rehab/stuff to just get my shoulder loosened and moving.

A very small workout but I feel better than I have all week and can actually lift my arm up now without pain. That is awesome :) .

Did I mention I moved to a friend's house and that friend owns and runs Ching Farm Rescue and Sanctuary? So I live on a sanctuary now, kinda cool but kinda hope I don't overstay my welcome because I'm loving it so far :) . I'm just another animal in need of a home it seems! :D
Frostfire

Postby JP » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:00 am

to me it sounds like you made absolutely the right choice, and how you feel is the most important thing. If you cant feel safe at your home, then world becomes a very bad place to be!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:13 am

1) 100% agree that you made the right decision to move!
2) regarding never being a great or inspirational athlete, the athletes who continue making progress despite the bullshit life throws at them and the one's that inspire me the most (lifting at high level despite a full time job, lifting after cancer etc) . You definitely fall into this category. Consider the dozens of training logs that fall by the wayside for no good reason and then consider how long you've kept yours on with all the bullshit you've gone through.

the increase in mental health from the move will help lifting for sure. I speak from experience on that :D
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Frostfire » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks JP and LordMuppet! Sometimes I feel like I must be making stuff up because nobody else seems to see what I see! But yeah, moving out and moving fast was a good choice and I'm really glad I did. All my critters are LOVING their temp house. Just look at my hound who finally has a porch to nap on (and my labrador running in front of the camera for some loves, but I still got the shot!)

11 June 2012 - Monday

20 minutes cardio on eliptical

Squat: 10 x 95 lbs, 10 x 95 lbs, 10 x 115 lbs

SLDL: 3 x 10 x 95 lbs

Probably could have lifted more, but hip is still really swollen and painful right now so didn't want to push it. Slow and steady!
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:44 pm

13 June 2012

Bench: 10 x bar, 10 x 65 lbs, 10 x 75 lbs, 10 x 75 lbs

Dips: 5, 5, 6 x bw

*stretching

Felt pretty good today, got a cortazoid shot in my rump yesterday to try to bring this latest RA trouble down enough for the regular meds to work. I still have some nice shoulder pain, but the rest of me feels almost like I don't have a debilitating autoimmune disease :) .
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:13 pm

15 June 2012 - Fri

Hang Cleans: 10 x bar, 10 x 65 lbs, 10 x 65 lbs

Lat Pulls: 10 x 60 lbs, 10 x 70 lbs, 10 x 80 lbs

attempted rows, shoulder was hurting :(

Onward and upward :)
Frostfire