...or, how I stopped worrying and learned to love the burn

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: the cruffatin liveth

Postby Alistar » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 am

Another nice bike. :) How do you rate those Kenda's btw? Apart from KB8's don't know much about them.

Yeah temp all over the place down here at the mo' but been a bit colder than normal so far for Nov.

More nice pics and good riding :)

Yeah I've been passed by more than a few runners when riding up steep hills in my time :( After bonking fat and old ones too :oops:
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:00 am

MTB Tyres.... Al, I really haven't a clue if I'm honest they all feel the same to me!
The Nevegal is on there as it's the only one I had in my spares box bigger than 2,0", with intact sidewalls (I run it tubeless).
The rear Larssen is torn so it has a tube, but I'd put them on everything. The mud here doesn't clag tyres too badly, so you can get away with them,
You only have to go an hour or two south and the mud is like concrete, half the ride is spent poking it with sticks to get the wheels turning again!
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby bob_summers » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:39 pm

Fri 18/11
Tolosa-Betelu-Uitzi-Leitza-Tolosa
4h15, slow

God that was horrible :)
First 2h into a strong southerly, gentle uphill. I was cooked before the climbing had begun, and a XC rider picked on me and left me for dead :cry:
Passed him when he stopped for water, I think he was planning on humiliating me again but when it got steep up to Azpirotz I had a 2nd wind and opened a nice gap, didn't see him again.
Paid for it though, I grovelled up to Uitzi and when I got to Leitza decided that it would be better to roll back down to Tolosa with the wind on my back than continue grovelling up to Basa Kabi and then again to Cruce de Arano. A little ashamed to cut short a ride (only in terms of meters climbed; the kms are almost the same) but when it becomes a chore I struggle to see the benefit!

Here's the route of shame...

bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:05 am

bob_summers wrote:MTB Tyres.... Al, I really haven't a clue if I'm honest they all feel the same to me!

That makes 2 of us! :D Yeah the TT's are good for around here too as lots of hardpack clay and silt. Even with the 1.9"'s never had a grip problem. Quite taken with the Maxxis so might try an Advantage for the back. Sick of reading reviews though. Seem pretty good and a high volume tyre which is what I want, but will just have to make up my own mind after a few rides...

An XC rider on chunkies?! Oh no Bob! Oh well looks like that was his watts spent for the day :wink:
Yeah after you get to a certain stage climbing and have basically cooked the legs no point pushing it I find. Did that training for Le Race trying too hard when it started to really hurt, and then completely killed my muscles and couldn't climb (anything :oops: ) for nearly 3 weeks :( Terrible and did me no good whatsoever!

Nearly 1500m and over 110k is a decent amount of climbing especially after you're been winding down for Winter. :)
Alistar

Postby fredrikw » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:27 pm

There's a lot to say about tires and different tires behave quite differently, but performance tend to rather boil down to tire pressure and technical skills after all (unless it's a super shitty tire like the old Continental Explorer for example)...
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby bob_summers » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Hey it's tyre on this log :wink:

Certainly I'm sensitive to pressures but personally the only way I could tell the difference between, say, a High Roller and a Nevegal would be to ride them on the road.
The other thing is, in the 3 or so years I've been riding MTB, it's been more or less impossible to buy a bad tyre! Well, apart from Mtn Kings!

Sun 20/11
MTB Andoain-Adarra-Urepel-Leitzaran
3,5h
More SS silliness... Urepel being the highest peak I've been up on a bike. So a lot of walking, but not as much as I'd expected and much of it I'd have walked with gears.
Tried to find a wicked switchback descent I did a while ago but failed, lost the trail completely and with fading light decided to just go straight down towards a farm in the valley. Ended up hacking through thicker and thicker undergrowth and walked/stumbled/fell down the first couple of hundred metres. The skin on my legs is torn to shreds...

Picked up a nice marked trail along the river which took me to the Leitzaran valley, a disused railway giving 20km of gentle downhill back to the station. With les than 45mins til the next train it became a bizarre off road TT on 32x16... legs have never spun so fast!

bob_summers

Postby bob_summers » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:43 am

Some pix from yesterday. Damn you camera for not seeing what I could see :evil:

Several KMs of this between Adarra and Urepel. Some rideable, some not. Off camber+roots=falling down hillside :)

View from Urepel. If the exposure was correct you'd see the Sierra de Aralar behind!

Other direction towards the coast.
bob_summers

Postby fredrikw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:02 pm

wow, you must have been tyred when you got home after that ride :wink:
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:10 pm

fredrikw wrote:wow, you must have been tyred when you got home after that ride :wink:
\\

:lol:

You must have the same camera as me :p Nice pics as always. Maybe you should do a bit more of that TTing!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:55 am

Don't worry Bob I'm with you. Tire seems such a tired term for tyres. :P

Man thats just sooo incredibly hilly! :shock: Actually I was just thinking something similar when taking pictures up Mt Herbert. I determined my eyesight was at about 4 to 6x Zoom with pretty much panoramic views without turning my head :D 8)
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Thur 24/11
Aizarnazabal Loop, N634 x 2
2.5h

Back on the bike after a few days off - woke up with a bloody cricked neck again on Monday. It's only two or three weeks since it last happened; generally riding frees it up a bit, I always feel better after, but decided this time to wait it out with a hot water bottle down the back of my jumper!
Better today, steady winter KMs with a couple of hill efforts but nothing serious.

Following a local Euskaltel rider on Twitter and he's not doing many more k's than me at the mo, so not too worried about the lack of time on the bike :D
bob_summers

Postby bob_summers » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:33 am

Fri 25/11
Arrangiotze, Corniche x2
3h50 @ 29kmh

Looking for a way to make this more of a loop rather than a p-shaped O-n-B, easily done but not without adding a bunch of climbing which I couldn't be bothered with on Friday. Arse felt better at least; I'd been getting a sharp stabbing pain under my sit-bone which I had worried could be a saddle sore but I think it's the flexibility in my ancient Spesh toupe finally disappearing. I've swapped it with an even older saddle for now, worried as I don't think the toupe is made anymore?

Sun 27/11
MTB "Berango 8" (Berango-Getxo-Plentzia)
4hrs moving, +3(!)hrs stopped

Social ride, travelled out to near Bilbao. Cold foggy morning which burned off to give clear blue skies. The route was around 50km/1300m along the coast with a big variety of trails, some of it was a bit beyond me and the singlespeed but there was some fantastic flowy coastal singletrack that sees quite a lot of traffic so was packed hard and bermy. Forest trails, part of a local DH course, quite a jewel of a trail (it consisted of two of a local guy's trails joined together).

Didn't have a camera but one of the guys did, hopefully some more to come.

Last edited by bob_summers on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob_summers

Postby bob_summers » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:30 am

Some more pics here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23458
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:54 am

Arrghh! Think your cricked neck seems to be catching! Didn't realise I had one until I tried turned my neck to the left today. Maybe the extra jarring on the mtb?

Man you've got some amazing country around there! 3hrs resting and chatting?! Should be outlawed on a ride like that!:lol:
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:51 am

Haha that's a lot of stop and chat! Even so, the local guy who was with us was complaining that we were riding too XC! The locals really can stop and chat :)

So, light week again thanks to a couple of lousy meetings...

Tues 29/11

Goizueta OnB
70km 2h20

Cold day, couldn't get going on the way out. First time up there since the floods of 3 weeks ago - they've really been hard on the valley road, mudslides were still being cleared on the passes. Some parts of the road were lying in the bottom of the valley! My 30min marker (a woodstore at the side of the road) had been washed down the hillside and into the river... poor fellow's firewood is now bobbing around somewhere in the bay of Biscay...
Met the 'prejubilados' at the cafe, overstayed in the warmth and had to TT back to get to a class :oops:
bob_summers

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs