...or, how I stopped worrying and learned to love the burn

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby bob_summers » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:28 pm

well to be honest the meetup is my only solid plan so far this year, and MTB is not my strong point (to put it mildly) - so it would be nice to have a decent fitness level, even if my skillz are lacking.

last time i rode MTB was an awesome singletrack descent off Mt Jaizkibel in the basque country. the first hundred metres were terrifying, i am scared of heights and there was a huge drop to the left. the pace was so fast, and i was so wrapped up in not going over the edge i didn't realise my shoe had come off! i was a kilometre down the trail before i noticed :oops:
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby fredrikw » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:31 pm

ha ha, that's hilarious :lol:

descending is one thing, but it's the ascent that counts. 8) we're in it for the suffering.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby bob_summers » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:39 pm

aye, in my defence i should point out that we did the road climb beforehand (cat. 1 in the clasica de san sebastian) on full sussers with about a bar in the tyres, and managed to drop a couple of roadies on the way :wink:
bob_summers

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:22 am

somehow I have missed your long all along! glad I found it.

wow! you've ordered a Pegoretti, excellent! when do you get it? And your Colnago, I can't remember, was that a Master Olympic? I am really enjoying mine as a fixie. I put some mustache bars on it which I am lovin.

Sounds like maybe we should do some mtb'ing together as we may have a similar (lack of) skill set. I hate those dropoffs to the side.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby fredrikw » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:25 am

[quote="bob_summers"]aye, in my defence i should point out that we did the road climb beforehand (cat. 1 in the clasica de san sebastian) on full sussers with about a bar in the tyres, and managed to drop a couple of roadies on the way;)

road climb, now what's the fun in that when on MTB's... you roadies :roll: ;)

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]Sounds like maybe we should do some mtb'ing together as we may have a similar (lack of) skill set. I hate those dropoffs to the side.

sounds like someone should come over to Wales in May for the cycling meetup ;)
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby bob_summers » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:49 am

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]somehow I have missed your long all along! glad I found it.

wow! you've ordered a Pegoretti, excellent! when do you get it? And your Colnago, I can't remember, was that a Master Olympic? I am really enjoying mine as a fixie. I put some mustache bars on it which I am lovin.

Sounds like maybe we should do some mtb'ing together as we may have a similar (lack of) skill set. I hate those dropoffs to the side.

nah unfortunately my colnago is a decor, which i guess was the base model, made out of gas pipe.. umm columbus thron. it's my main bike right now and built up with shimano 600 and mexico '68s it weighs nearly 11kg - which is fine coz i love the ride on the roads around here. but not ideal when i move to the bottom of the pyrenees!

hence the pego.. maybe another 3 months til it's done. he's in town next week so i can badger him about it then :wink:
bob_summers

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:31 pm

don't know how many times I have had "witness the fitness .... 1 hope 1 quest" stuck in my head cuz of your log. long before I noticed whose it was. thanks for that.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby bob_summers » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:58 pm

haha just be thankful i didn't call it the crazy frog log! di-ding ding ding ding...

Week 15

been busy studying grammar for next week. my head's been too fucked to think about training :(

Thurs
turbo. intended on doing 1min sprint intervals (1min sprints on 52x12, 3mins recover)
but felt sick after the second interval - hadn't left enough time for lunch to digest i think. so just kept the pedals ticking over at 100rpm and listened to some tunes.
47m, 150 hravg, 186 hrmax, 650kcal.
bob_summers

Postby bob_summers » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Week 15

seems i can't afford 3+ hours on the road at the mo', so squeezing an hour on the turbo again. not too worried, thunderstorms here today!

Fri
repeated yesterday's session, but this time not so near lunch :-)
7x1m sprints 52x12 w/3m recovery.
52m, 159 hravg, 189 hrmax, 792kcal.

killing joke's hosannas... album is good for the turbo - just as i was about to start the 7th interval, jez screams "push yourself to the limit of human endurance!"... he'd make a pretty cool mr. motivator :wink:
bob_summers

Postby fredrikw » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:57 pm

[quote="bob_summers"]"push yourself to the limit of human endurance!"

hey, if you ever get tired of the name of your training journal you have a perfect one there :)
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby bob_summers » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:20 pm

very true! "push yourself to the limit of human endurance (but make sure you mop the sweat off the kitchen floor afterwards)"
bob_summers

Postby fredrikw » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:33 pm

the kitchen? sounds like a dull place to ride. I always ride my trainer in the living room, the cultural center of the house.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby bob_summers » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:38 pm

i thought the kitchen was the centre of any cyclist's house!

i have to lock myself away in the kitchen in case a cat wanders into my rear wheel :shock:
bob_summers

Postby fredrikw » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:58 pm

[quote="bob_summers"]i thought the kitchen was the centre of any cyclist's house!

sure, for eating, but when I'm on the trainer I don't have easy access to the fridge :)

[quote]i have to lock myself away in the kitchen in case a cat wanders into my rear wheel :shock:

ouch... that's a nightmare, my cats stay far away from my rear wheel, I was a bit worried in the beginning, but I guess the whole thing is too weird for them because they keep away.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby bob_summers » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:18 pm

one of ours is a bit too bold.. she wants to check it out - i can see her waiting on the other side of the door... this is the same cat that climbed into a car engine and was found 5km away a couple of weeks later!
bob_summers

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs