[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - ...or, how I stopped worrying and learned to love the burn

...or, how I stopped worrying and learned to love the burn

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: the cruffatin liveth

Postby Alistar » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:50 am

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]... I think he was definitely not the baker Al.

Was going to say from the local fish and chip shop, but I thought they probably don't have those in Spain :wink:

[quote="bob_summers"]Tues 27/3
Tolosa-Leitza-Basa Kabi-Goizueta

3h24 100km 1440m

That's a (non race) PB for the course,

We're on strike tomorrow, forecast is good and I had planned a big ride but I guess I have picketing obligations :(

Nice work! Thats a good time for that climbing and distance! Same as LR, however I need someone to confirm with a GPS the exact climbing as the numbers bandied about, fluctuate by about 400m :? And of course I like to believe the more exaggerated numbers :wink:

As long as you turn up for a couple of hours, people will forget you weren't there all day 8)
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:34 pm

Cheers Al!
You need to ask someone with a barometric gps, the ones that calculate altitude by triangulation are often way out. Eg my edge 705 has it - it gets affected by wild fluctuations in pressure (I can turn it on to find I live 100m below sea level sometimes!) - but the relative altitude gained/lost will still be good.

Thu 29/3
Arrangoitze via Corniche (back via Urrugne)
110km @ 30kmh

Stooopid mechanical today. Fitted entire new drivetrain yesterday, cassette, chain, rings and jockeys, it was shifting fine on the stand and didn't bother taking it for a shakedown ride.
A few kms in, the chain started unshipping off the lower jockey wheel after shifting inner->outer ring. Resulting in drivetrain jamming up. Stupidly ignored it - I'd ordered the wrong inner ring, so left the old one on temporarily, and guessed it was sucking the chain. No probs, can do this in the big ring I thought. Then it jammed again, without a shift, with my legs whizzing round at 150rpm :shock:
Pulled over to have a look, it took about 30 minutes of poking and prodding with a useless multitool (that I don't usually bring!) before i realised I'd fitted the rear mech plate upside down :roll: , causing the lower jockey to run at a funky angle. I didn't even know you could fit them upside down I thought they were keyed or something!
The farting around meant I was gonna be late home, so the next 90km were on the rivet, got a PB on the climb out of Senpere and on the long drag from Urrugne.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby bob_summers » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Fri 30/3
BEASAIN-ATAUN-(LORBURU)-IRURTZUN-LEKUNBERRI-BETELU-TOLOSA
170km, +1600m, @slow

Nice day for a grovel. Felt ok thru the first third, but the middle third was a bit of a fight on undulating, straight Navarran roads into a HW and left me wankered for the home leg, battling the HW and hunger knocks. Feet burning too (wasn't that hot, about 25º tops). Perked up towards the end but christ what a struggle.
One good bit though, was the climb up Lizarrusti (cat 2º). I started it in cyclotourism mode, enjoying the views and checking out the postcard farmhouses. Young lad in local club kit comes past, and I make it my mission to hold his wheel to the top. I don't think he was expecting it, and seemed to be hell bent on dropping me. Now I don't know where the top is, could be 5, 10, 15km for all I know (it was 6) so came round each bend and heart sank to see yet more climbing! Anyway, mission accomplished, came over the pass on his wheel but to be honest if it was another 250m I would have let him go! Still had 100km to go after that, so not the smartest move.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/567376
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:19 am

Holy shit Bob! Thats a damned decent ride. Ouch! Good to see you've still got that tenacity that I could learn from at times!
[quote="bob_summers"] i realised I'd fitted the rear mech plate upside down :roll:

Ha ha! That'll teach ya! I've got an embarrasing DIY story. Couldn't work out why my front mech was sometimes over shifting the chain right off the big ring, and then turn the limiting screw half a turn and it wouldn't get on the Big ring at all(nothing more frustrating!). So had to be just perfect to work ok. But still played up occasionally when in a certain gear when changing up. With new crankset was slightly worse after putting in a new cable(last cable was half broken). Anyway looking up Shimano docs suddenly realised it was all due to the fr mech being set too high above the chainrings. Didn't even bother to check as just assumed the bike mechanic would have set this right, when putting together my bike as its so elementary! So its been like this since I bought the damned thing! :oops: Can't believe how well it shifts now though... :roll:
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Haha Al I've done similar, I often swap between compact and standard cranks, and have left the mech too high over the 50t ring!

So, to cap March:

Sun 1/4
Club run, San Juan-Sokoa-Corniche-Jaizkibel
80km @slow

Easy pace up to the coast, so arrived at the bottom of Jaizkibel fresh for an attack on the PB. Not sure what my PB is, will have to search back through this log, but I bagged the KOM on Strava http://app.strava.com/rides/6025808#115039497

A couple more rides planned for next week then it's off to the UK to see the fam with a full week off the bike (and calorie overload on proper curry and beer hahah).

aaand ... my first victory of the season thus far ;-)

Only tells half the story, I climbed 23,000m in March, while 2nd place climbed 6,000.... :wink:
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:11 am

No wonder you're streaks ahead of us all in bikejournal! Congrats on the March win :D

Hauling up those climbs too! Nice work

Yeah, think you've earned the week off with beers etc. Spose a good curry is pretty much impossible to find in Spain?
I got a dozen beers given to me by the inlaws for my b'day last week for after LR, but have been so smashed its the last thing I feel like! :D
Alistar

Postby Alistar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:58 am

Hey Bob, will you have a chance to catch any of the Euskal Herriko txirrindulari itzulia this week? Maybe you could slip your Garmin into one of the climbers pockets as they go past for some more impressive Strava wins :D
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:42 am

Nice job on the Basque spelling Al!

I'm going to watch the summit finish tomorrow.. haven't checked yet to see which riders are logging on Strava, but if any are, you can bet all my KOMs are going to be humiliated! SO maybe your idea is the solution ;-)

The climb to the summit finish will be interesting, only cat 3 but it's similar to the Poggio - big ring and braking in the hairpins. I did a killer time up there a few weeks ago when I was trying to catch the fast group on my club run, managed to stay on top of a big gear and only cracked in the last 100m. But the GPS track was borked so I'll have to try again.

Check out this segment tomorrow evening and see if it's changed ;-) http://app.strava.com/segments/951371

Exhausted these last couple of days, tomorrow will be an easy MTB ride then I'm not touching a bike for a week and a bit (might have a spin or two on my Dad's turbo but that's about it). Then on to the next block of training, less volume and more intensity.

Tues 3/4
Tolosa-Leitza-Basa Kabi-Goizueta
100km @ slow

This was an ugly ride. Couldn't summon up any enthusiasm, pressganged the quads into sevice and did some seated hill efforts but don't think I worked hard enough as I can't feel any soreness today. At the high point I was a few mins down, and the weather was lousy, no visibility, raining and cold. I wasn't dressed for cold, not even gloves, so I froze on the descent. Rode home in the big ring, as my hands were so cold I couldn't get them to change gear! Electronic shifting sometimes has its appeal...
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:20 am

[quote="bob_summers"]Nice job on the Basque spelling Al!...

Cut and paste is such a usefull feature :D Gosh I see what you mean about the language. Looks as different to English as it is to Spanish :?

[quote="bob_summers"]
Exhausted these last couple of days, .... Then on to the next block of training, less volume and more intensity.

... pressganged the quads into sevice and did some seated hill efforts but don't think I worked hard enough as I can't feel any soreness today...

Yeah think that break is just what you need to refresh yourself. You'll be fizzing when you come back. Hopefully the weather will be just that much warmer as well :)

Ha!No leg soreness isn't that much of a bad problem to have :wink:

Have a nice time and enjoy your holiday!
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:37 pm

haha yeah, it share some loan words with Spanish (and a few with French) but is otherwise totally unrelated. eg Txirrindulari is ciclismo in Spanish, Itzulia is vuelta.. go figure.. they even have different words for brother/sister depending on whether they are the same sex as you or not?!¿

Thurs 5/4
Basque tour, stage 4
90km @ ages

OK I'll come right out with it. I SHARED TARMAC WITH JENS VOIGT :mrgreen:
Today was a summit finish, so teams and cars all had to go back down the mountain to the buses. So I tacked onto a group drafting the greenedge car, or was the car drafting Jens I don't know :wink:

Bagged a few KOMs on the way round, will be interested to see if any of the peloton are logging on Strava and that'll be the end of all my lovely KOMs haha

Samu's bottle is taped shut, I wonder what's in it... I'm guessing it's Patxaran (Basque aniseed liquor), as that's what I usually fancy after 90km :wink: Will cut it open later and find out.

Petrov and Ulissi crest Cat 2º Agiña in the mizzle

After 6km of big ring climbing to the summit finish, the road kicks up to a nasty 18% for the last 500m. Suited Purito perfectly. It didn't suit me, luckily a gendarme pulled me off the course before I made an arse of myself in front of several thousand spectators.

bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:52 am

Nice pics Bob! How on earth did you get hold of Samu's bottle? I reckon you just drew his name on it with marker pen :P Oh well, if you get an inexplicable increase in performance in the next few weeks you'll know why :wink:

Yeah always a worry when the pro's reach for the 27t. Shit that last bit would hurt esp after 160 odd k's of hills :shock: Good training for the Giro though...

Ohh...got the PR on tomorrow. Should be exciting....
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:25 pm

I missed PR, it was total cycling blackout for a week! But this vid is worth a watch:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ZXSjDNpBE[/youtube]

As for Samu's bottle - sickly looking red liquid when I poured it down the sink. I borrowed the cap to replace one on another bottle and can't wash the taste out of it, didn't give me any gains either :(

SO, back in Basque and it seems the grotty Cumbrian weather has followed me, about 100mm or rain forecast this weekend!

Thurs 12/4
Aia loop via Igeldo
2h05

This did not feel good. Amazing the difference a week makes (worse, the week was an orgy of takeaways and beer, daren't get on the bathroom scale...), picked an easy route to ease back in. First climb revealed a definite dip in form, but felt a little better by the second hour. Times on the climbs are not so far off last June, 5 and 10 secs down on PBs up either side of Igeldo, tho' Aia climb was a disaster. 5m down on the PB in total, have made it a mission to smash that once my legs are back to normal!
bob_summers

Postby bob_summers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:23 pm

ooh, and Vuelta al Pais Vasco update!

Turns out only one rider has logged a stage on Strava so far, RSNT's Ben King http://app.strava.com/rides/6458858#121870411
Looks like my Alto de Agiña KOM has been obliterated! And Alto de Orio too. But.... and I can hardly believe this, but my Col d'Ibardin KOM is untouched!

bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:28 am

Ha! Good work on keeping your KOM! 25kph?! Damn thats a fast average uphill...

Cool vid! Amazed at how strong these guys are after 200+km on crap roads, but shit they can hoover down those gels though.

Yeah takeaways and beer will do that to you, but hopefully that extra bulk will help you monster it on the flat :wink: :D
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 pm

aye apart from the savage kick at the end, it's a big-ring climb, reckon the front guys would do it well over 30kmh. Our man had probably already gone inside out keeping FrAndy on the front and was limping up in the autobus.

Who is it in the car, Peeters? Even they can't believe the speed he's belting out! But those gels made me feel sick just watching!

Well after an easy week back into it (easy in terms of effort - however the weather was spectacularly horrific!) I'll try and crank it up a notch tomorrow but not looking forward to it...

Sat 14/4
Arano OnB
2h
Only went out for 75km easy, but didn't feel I was getting much out of it so just did a few efforts up to Arano and rode back slow and wet.

Sun 15/4
Club Run
2h30
Biblical weather, rain, hail, winds, whittled us down to 3. I was late anyway (stopped to try to get my GPS to work) so rode the first 30 mins tempo trying to catch them. We sloshed round a shorter route with my GPS beeping every 5 secs (couldn't force it to turn off, and the battery doesn't come out...), then I flatted luckily near a garage as it took my fingers ages to warm up enough to do anything about it...
bob_summers

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs