[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - ...or, how I stopped worrying and learned to love the burn

...or, how I stopped worrying and learned to love the burn

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: the cruffatin liveth

Postby bob_summers » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:09 am

Yep, I'm new(ish) to MTB so have never ridden with V Brakes. Not a bad thing as the soil is quite sandy here so I'd rather it eat pads and disks than wheel rims!
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby bob_summers » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:03 pm

Fri 30/9
Ulia mtb

A few hours on the mountain helping Doug from BasqueMTB with some filming as the sun dropped into the sea.
Pretty tough, not much in terms of distance but lots of up 'n down the same bit of trail to reshoot a sequence.
Also served as a shakedown test of my rebuilt Commençal hardtail, after spending almost a year hidden under the bed it's been tarted up with new hoops (Stan's Crest/CXrays & Trizoids) and twistgrips. Feels ok, needs some tweaking but the fork is horrible, I guess the oil has turned into treacle.

bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:18 am

[quote="bob_summers"]
I was hoping to get my XC bike down to <10kg for such events but depressingly it's 10.5 already and I've yet to put chain/cassette or tyres and sealant on :(

Yeah have to spend some serious coin to get the weight <10kgs. Although your new hoops will definitely help! :) Always helps to start with a light frame too. Mines about 1.6kgs :( Think my bike was 10.5kgs as a rigid with V's. Converting it to a HT with av wheels disc's etc its basically add a kg :( :(

Doing some great mtb rides by the sounds. Looks like you're a bit spoiled for tracks by the look of that picture too! How far is the marathon btw?
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:37 am

The marathon comes in at 65km/2000m, but not an inch of flat and the descents are on the technical side so no real chances to breathe. The course suits me pretty well, most of my mtb rides are just a bit shorter than that but there's no way I'll live with the riders competing in the series (I think it's the final round).
You're right about this magical <10kgs Al. The 'cheapest' way I can lose 500g is by changing the fork (RS Reba, base model) and the crank (Truvativ boat anchor) and I have the money for neither. It's a dead loss anyway, it isn't an XC frame, the angles and beefiness are more on the 'trail' side so I think I'll live with it.

Sun 2/10
MTB Oiartzun-Aritxulegi-Domiko-Agiña-Bera-Irun
2h45@17.7kmh, 50km/1200m

Nice chilled route in amazing hot (for Oct) sunshine. Took a train out to the start of a family trail, a disused mining railway, and left that to climb 'The Bastard', a concrete access road that tops out at 34% according to my GPS, then into the forest on wide logging roads. A climb up to the summit of Agiña (steep grass) just for the view, then the only remotely technical descent of the day, part of the GR10 trans-Pyrenee trail. Last part is the gentle pootle along another dismantled railway to get the train home from Irun.

Fallen beech in Pagaditxoko (Pago meaning Beech in Basque)

Endara Reservoir, Aiako Harria beyond.

We're going to Bera, the little town in the mid distance. Bera is on the Spanish side of the border, though Larrun (highest peak behind) is in France. It's supposed to be the beginning of the western end of the Pyrenees range. Too hazy to see but beyond that is the French Basque coast of the Atlantic.
bob_summers

Postby soniczip » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:54 am

october is being hot here as well 8)

nice views! how long have you been living in there?
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby bob_summers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:01 am

Three years last month, seems much longer though. People who come here either leave after 2 years or stay forever, so I guess the chances of me escaping are pretty slim ;-)
bob_summers

Postby soniczip » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:22 am

ah ah ah. did you decide to go there (because of the natural environment for example) or did the place choose you?
soniczip

Postby bob_summers » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:23 am

A bit of both SZ. And going back to London ain't an option, I think 12yrs is too much in that place! I'm happy enough here anyway, I'm a willing captive ;-)

Tues 4/10
Arano OnB
2hrs @ 27kmh

Haven't done this for a while. If you can get to Arano in <1hr then you're going OK they say. I was just inside, not my PB but pretty happy considering I only decided to go for it about half-way in (realised I wasn't gonna have time to do my planned ride).

Woke up with a cold though, no training today or tomorrow to try and recover. Maybe a short tempo run on Friday will be enough to wake the legs back up before the "Marathon" on Saturday. I don't even know what an MTB Marathon is... I would have assumed more than 65km though.
bob_summers

Postby bob_summers » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Fri 7/10
DONOSTIA-LASARTE-ANDATZA MTB
3h40 @ 14.3kmh

This could prove to have been a silly idea. I didn't feel any better really this morning but went out for an easy spin anyway.
Maybe went a bit far. Total mudfest on Andatza... the mountain has been totally destroyed on one side by the construction of a waste incinerator, then loggers and trials bikers have torn up most of the tracks. I was wondering why I don't go up there much these days!
Kinda worth it though, I dropped the seat and slithered down a pretty fun descent which would be worth going up there in the dry for.

Maybe should have done something a bit lighter though, with an eye on tomorrow...

bob_summers

Postby soniczip » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:19 pm

what time did you leave? it says 4:18am in the summary :shock:
soniczip

Postby bob_summers » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:43 pm

Weird, the time was showing up ok on the GPS. Seems to be working now though.

Sat 8/10

MTB Marathon Aiako Harria
4h14 @ 14.5kmh

Another mud bath. Didn't rain much on the day but some recent bad weather left all the trails boggy. Mash it up a bit with 600 or so bikes and it turned into a slitherfest.
I started quite strongly but as usual I was slow on the descents, and the course was all up or down, no flat whatsoever. The last hour or so saw me going up about as slowly as I was descending, and the rear brake was pulling back to the bar. Came off a couple of times for stupid tired mistakes (apart from getting a faceful of mud and crashing into a wall coz I couldn't see!) so was pretty glad to finish.
Not sure where I am in the standings, will check later, but the championship guys were showered and changed for the prizegiving so I must've finished a long time off the pace!

bob_summers

Postby bob_summers » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:48 am

[quote="bob_summers"]but the championship guys were showered and changed for the prizegiving so I must've finished a long time off the pace!

I finished an hour and 25mins behind the Elite cat winner*. If I'd entered the race proper, I would have come 4th from last, or dead last in my category :oops:

Well I lost a lot of time descending like a pleb (mostly lack of skillz but also with almost no rear brake by the end), and a little time chatting to a mate who came to watch the race, but 1h25 is incredible! Full gas everywhere, up and down... :shock:

So in the end, only 96 entered the long course, of which I finished 37th in 4h30 dead. I've really enjoyed my first dabble in MTB racing, pity that was the last race of the season. Might give it more of an effort next year....

*Patxi Vila, ex of Banesto, Lampre. Now riding for DeRosa and apparently sandbagging local MTB races :wink:
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:20 am

Hey good effort anyway Bob. 37th out of 96 sounds pretty good to me. Also seems like they have really technical trails over there that probably wouldn't be out of place on an international type circuit. Add in some rain,mud and the technical skills needed to even start to compete get that much more out of reach for us mortals.

Few young local guys ride junior and u23 World mtb champs and are just out of this world. It's like "marks... set... go" and in 30secs they've disapeared out of sight never to be seen again if you ever have the pleasure to line up with them( which I have a couple of times). But even on dry, pretty non technical trails it always amazes me how much time they put on me even on a 2hr race. I remember one broke his arm not so long ago DH training so they know how to corner and descend at speed all right!
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks Al. I'll probably ride that course again a couple of times over winter and see if I can knock a bit of time off it just by knowing where to put in the effort. I tried to keep fresh for Bianditz*, the big climb of the day, but hadn't realised how much climbing was to come in the supposedly 'downhill' last 20km.

I don't know who this is, but the road behind gives you an idea of the gradient. I tried to ride it all but got stuck in a tussock of grass and couldn't remount, but walking was no slower.

I seemed to escape the photographer, although that's me at the back :oops: early on before the mud....
bob_summers

Postby soniczip » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:28 pm

and, especially, i hope you enjoyed all the mud :D what did you carry in the backpack. just liquids or also food?

hey, if you spot a nice mtb marathon event next spring and are willing to host me, we could do one together?! same applies if you want to come over here 8)
soniczip

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs