hannibal's 200kg bench journal

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby hannibal » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:49 am

this one’s for strix :)

yesterday’s training:

bicep curls (light because my wrist is still not completely better) 5x5 @ 17.5kg

and slb presses (formerly known as russian side presses):

3x5 each side @ 27.5kg and 2x5 each side @ 32.5kg.

then did some ‘cliffhangers’, something i’ve incorporated into my routine which involves hanging from a ledge by fingertips for as long as possible, sometimes swinging back and forth and sometimes chinning. it’s an awesome exercise for grip strength (haven’t trained the captains of crush for a long while and thought i would have definitely lost the ability to close the number two, but when i tried it the other day it was an easy close (strange though, closed it with right hand which i’ve never done before.. but couldn’t quite get a left hand close..)) or if you ever find yourself in the b movies :)

also.. it’s about time i got a work in progress up. if i haven’t submitted by the end of october can someone call me out? wip or wimp! gracias!
hannibal

Postby Strix » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:40 pm

[quote="hannibal"]this one’s for strix :)

Whoo! :)

Hmmm...now that I think of it: flattery or making fun of me??
Another brat! ;)

[quote]... if you ever find yourself in the b movies :)

Hey, I did a student film once :lol: . I was a runner in it, of course. Too funny.

[quote]also.. it’s about time i got a work in progress up.

Exactly! :P

[quote]... can someone call me out? wip or wimp! gracias

I already did: http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?t=1716 :P
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby hannibal » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:29 am

hah! thanks i saw that call out :) i'm going to try and update more regularly over the next month..

mon: park training. 5x5 chins, dips and roman situps circuit style. finished with one arm hangs. later that night... dumbell rows 5x5 @ 32.5kg

wed: arrived very late at rabbit central and no time to do planned bench workout since my training partner had to get some sleep. instead i went straight for the 100kg bench after a quick five rep workout at 50kg and singles at 90 and 95. managed 100 no problem (yay) then went for 105 and crashed but nearly. next week back to five by fives at 85-90.
hannibal

Postby JO » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:37 pm

Hannibal, tell us more about the one-armed hangs, pretty please. :)
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby hannibal » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:54 am

something like.. this
hannibal

Postby Mary » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:35 pm

Go go Gadget Arms! (eh? Where did that come from... :? )
Mary

Postby hannibal » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:32 am

thurs: rain and wind in the half dark half soaked park training. someone had put grip tape on the bars so i could hold on ok. 5x5 chins, dips and one min planks circuit style. finished off with one armed hangs from the rings (the photo was just to explain the exercise :)).

fri: some warm up slb presses then 3x3 @ 32.5kg. pressed out a wobbly 37.5kg with left arm. didn't even attempt with right. i have some single kg weights but they're holding up a table so no half measures. next up dumbell rows 5x5. this was too easy last time so upped it to 42.5kg and it was too hard. after one set went down to 37.5kg and it was sweet.

sat: some middle-of-the-night insomnia induced pullups in the park and back and forth and up and down on the monkey bars a few times (surprised i didn't get arrested). later on dreaded lower body work.. roll-up pistols 5x5.
hannibal

Postby Mary » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:45 pm

Do you know, I have a picture of you in my head, which is obviously not very likely, in which you are swinging simianly from the monkey bars in the wee small hours, looking like your name sake. Maybe the monkey picture did it. :D

When I can't sleep I write. Less likely to be arrested!
Mary

Postby JO » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:19 pm

thanks for the wonderful picture, Hannibal :). this is a great exericise, even though I still need to keep at least part of one foot on the ground.
JO

Postby hannibal » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:06 am

sat continued (three weeks ago now): first ever one armed pushup.. had to do another one to make sure. ended up doing three right arm singles and two left arm singles (and a third to failure).. haven't been training this at all so it must be a side effect of recent benching.

sunday: went to rabbit central to bench. the rabbits are always timid little wallflowers until you start lifting heavy weights then they're all out wanting to play it up. back to 5x5 @ 85kg (watch out bunnies). i'm starting to train antagonistic muscles (it's meant to improve recovery time between sets) so did 37.5kg dumbell rows in between each set.

...after this the training journal rapidly flatlines...

i did do some one armed pushups and about a thousand coc closes at our veganfitness stall at the cruelty free expo... strangest thing was all these big guys coming up to the stall unable to make a close then my little sister came up and shut it without too much difficulty :)

broke a rib... again... the same one... (this time me being stupid)

leaving on wednesday so probably won't be able to update for a while.

this is roughly what my on-the-road training regimen (post broken rib recovery) is going to look like..

upper body:
chinups
pullups
handstand pushups (negatives at this point)
one armed pushups and various others
sternum chinups (hah!)
dips if i can find anywhere to do 'em

core:
planks and situps

lower body
pistols, hindu squats and tabata squats (as discovered recently somewhere on this board... these are nasty!)

see you all next year (or sooner depending on connected-ness).. vegan power! hannibal
hannibal

Postby Mary » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:54 am

Hello! Mind that rib. I love the way you flit in and out again... See you next year!
Mary

Postby hannibal » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:53 am

update. the hardest training during three months of travels was lugging around a huge backpack.. i felt like one of those tanks that collapses under its own weight. ended up eating a lot (vegan goulash, melty cheese, cherry nirvana ice cream, etc) and hardly ever trained.. so this is now the fat and weak redemption journal:

ad hoc as usual, no rhyme. no reason..
fri: 50 chins and dips (never going over 3 reps.. and back and forth circuit style, slower and slower towards the end) and three minute plank.
thurs: 3x5 and 2x3 slb presses @ 32.5kg.. bicep curls 5x5 @ 22.5kg.
hannibal

Postby hannibal » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:00 am

hannibal

Postby Jonathan » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:42 pm

[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby JO » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:33 pm

JO

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs