hannibal's 200kg bench journal

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby hannibal » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:19 pm

jo... super hard situps are my version of janda situps without a partner or equipment. basically you lie down in an ordinary situp position and press your lower back into the floor, then you concentrate on generating as much tension in your legs as possible with a focus on pulling your calves towards you (without moving though, imagine you are pulling them against a bar), then you roll yourself up. it takes a lot of trial and error, but if you can do it right it's a real struggle to even raise yourself off the ground. another good situp to try is the cross legged situp (which is basically what it says it is).

hey thanks oak... good to know someone else here is working on the planche progressions. the frog stand was pretty easy for me but i'm having a lot of trouble with the tuck planche (can't hold it for more than 10 secs at a time), but slowly building up. i have looked at the lever progressions in the coach sommer article and definitely want to do them in the future... but for now the planche is challenge enough :) thanks for the idea to use a swiss ball... so you mean plank on it with locked out arms then roll out sort of like on an ab wheel?

hannibal
hannibal

Postby hannibal » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:52 pm

i'm incredibly sore in my shoulders and back at the moment after my first workout in a couple weeks... i had to take some time off training for a while because of school deadlines.. but now it's all over with and and i'm going to have a lot more time to put into getting strong.

my workout yesterday was a free for all of chinups, pullups, dips and one armed pushup progressions.. it feels great to be back training again (i even like the soreness)!

meanwhile.. a few melbourne kids have started up a vegan training crew and we're having our first meet up this weekend. we're going to combine our iron so i'll finally have an opportunity to deadlift some serious weight (i only have about 60kg at home).. i'm also keen to see what i can shift on a bench press which i haven't tried since i was about ten years old... i'll post the weights lifted when it's all done (no matter how embarrassing they are).

hannibal
hannibal

Postby JP » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:33 pm

[quote="hannibal"]a few melbourne kids have started up a vegan training crew

Exellent! please keep us updated on that - thats the way to go man!
JP
Site Admin

Postby hannibal » Mon May 03, 2004 8:12 am

the first melbourne vegan training crew started with a few last minute cancellations due to the rain and cold.. but those few who did show up got in a pretty decent workout...

we started off with a five minute jog down to the local park where we did bodyweight chins and dips followed by a jog and sprint back home which left me pretty wasted. after (sort of) recovering we took the weights out into the backyard and did squats, deadlifts, bench press, russian side presses and some ab work.

squats: we could pretty much only squat what we could clean so weren't able to lift that much... squatting was pretty much just a warmup for the deadlifts

deadlifts: i finally got the chance to try for more than 60kg which is all the weights i have. i went up in 10kg increments doing singles till i hit 110kg which wasn't that hard but definitely a lot tougher than what i've tried in the past, i repped it for five without too much difficulty. after that i couldn't go up any further because we were down to using lots of 2.5kg weights and they had filled up the bar.. i reckon i could go up at least another 20kg though and if we get some bigger weights next week will give it a go.

bench press: i haven't tried a proper bench press since i was little and was hoping to do at least my bodyweight, but didn't get anywhere close.. i managed a single at 85kg but am aiming for at least 100kg by mid year.

russian side presses were as per usual 5x5 @ 27.5kg

ab work was a few minutes of planks (aka braces) which after a few sets left us collapsed on the ground. all in all a good workout and i'm nice and sore in my lower back today :)

hannibal
hannibal

Postby hannibal » Sun May 23, 2004 10:15 am

training today

deadlifts: after a warmup set and a few five rep sets at 100kg i worked up to a single at 135kg. i didn't want to push it as i'm still sort of new to this exercise so called it.

bench: still quite low at 85kg (including bar)

core: several minutes front and side planks each.

we did a few other exercises which i didn't remember the weights for (bicep curls, mil press, lunges and some sort of shoulder thing).

other recent developments:
i'm slowly starting to up the weight on my russian side presses to 32.5kg. i can manage 3 reps now, so 4x5 @ 27.5 then 1x3 @ 32.5.

hannibal
hannibal

Postby hannibal » Sun May 30, 2004 5:32 am

yesterday was the 'this is not a competition but i'm going to kick your arse' training session.

on deadlift i got up to 140kg (including bar.. i'm not sure though if the bar weight is supposed to be included though?).. could not even budge 145kg because my lower back was so wrecked.

we did incline bench (first time ever for me) and i managed 70kg. i tried one flat bench at the end of it all and did a 90kg single (including bar)

i'm starting to lift heavier weights but will probably do less for higher reps next session just to give myself a rest.

we did a few other exercises including rows, skull crushers, some sort of shoulder isolation work, and crunches.

hannibal
hannibal

Postby JP » Sun May 30, 2004 8:28 am

[quote="hannibal"]yesterday was the 'this is not a competition but i'm going to kick your arse' training session.

exellent!

[quote]
on deadlift i got up to 140kg (including bar.. i'm not sure though if the bar weight is supposed to be included though?).

if you lift it, count it in!

Congrats for the new DL PB! Do you squat as well in your sessions?
JP
Site Admin

Postby hannibal » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:11 am

thanks joni, i don't really squat due to lack of a rack, sometimes i'll squat what i can clean but i don't think could really call that squatting.

--

i've been a bit slap dash with training over the last couple months, here's a brief update:

deadlift: busted my back back going for too much weight too quickly. so i've been recovering by doing three minute planks followed by one and a half minute side planks, once i work up to three minutes on the side planks i'll get back into the deadlift. i'm going to concentrate more on doing 5x5s at lower weight with perfect form, and slowly cycle up (rather than (stupidly!) trying to up my lifts 5kg each session.

bench: currently sitting at 95kg on the bench for three reps, hoping i'll hit 100kg in the next few weeks. mixing it up with incline bench which is supposed to make progress slower but safer.

cycling: am about to get into cycling in a big way due to upcoming singapore to bangkok trip (roughly a two thousand km ride). just bought an odometer and joined the yellow fluorescent lycra brigade (well actually i didn't, i ate their dust). my first training ride was an easy-ish 35km ride going. every sunday morning i'm going to do this ride but up it 10km each time till i hit 100km (which is on average what i need to ride each day on the trip), this is in addition to the 15km round trip to work which i ride two or three days a week.

that's about it. i've unfortunately been neglecting bodyweight exercises (chins, dips, situps, pushups, etc) lately.
hannibal

Postby Strix » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:37 pm

Leave it to Hannibal to post once a month :P :P

Go, Go, Gorilla....hmph...

;-)
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby JO » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:35 am

are the 3-min side planks arbitrary prep for deadlifts, how did you come up with that? just curious (I tend towards arbitrary benchmarks, myself).
JO

Postby funfetus » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:39 am

[quote="hannibal"]thanks joni, i don't really squat due to lack of a rack, sometimes i'll squat what i can clean but i don't think could really call that squatting.

You might want to try what I do -- squat from the bottom off a pair of sawhorses.
funfetus

Postby hannibal » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:45 am

strix!

jo.. yep totally arbitrary. i also wanted something that was going to keep me occupied long enough that i wouldn't lose patience and get straight back into deadlifts (i actually ran out of patience though and started deadlifting again :)).

thanks funfetus, good idea. what i'm probably going to do is put some sort of support on my soon to be built chin up bar to squat from.

--

cycling training has not been going well.. about a week ago i went for a 50km ride and re-activated an old hip joint injury (vegan glucosamine and msm to the rescue.. hopefully), and a couple of days ago went over the handlebars (completely not my fault for once, some idiot opened his car door without looking) with a busted up wrist, possible broken rib and several other minor contusions etc.

so partially out of the training game for a while, though i found out i can still deadlift if i use a double overhand grip.

as soon as my wrist heals my 100kg bench campaign begins:

day 1: warmup / 5x5x85kg
day 8: warmup / 5x5x90kg
day 15: warmup / 5x5x95kg
day 22: warmup / 5x5x100kg
hannibal

Postby Mary » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:05 am

Hey Hannibal.

Good to read your log. You make up for me posting all the bleeding time. We about cancel each other out. :lol: Unfortunatley the link to the Russian excercise isn't working. And there was me, like Pete, thinking, "Oh goodie..."

It has to be said though. Way to go! Keep up the gains. I know exactly how you feel after you closed that gripper by the way. How I felt when I finally chinned! And what a grip you must have, doing finger pull up. :shock:
Mary

Postby hannibal » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:07 pm

hey thanks mary, they must have taken that russian side press page down... you can still get it through web.archive.org though. try here: http://tinyurl.com/3that

umm.. nothing to update on the training front... see, there's a reason i only post once a month :)
hannibal

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:25 pm

Hey, thanks for that! They look great.

You may only post once a month, but it looks like what you post counts. :D
Mary

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs