Goobs log, Now with video!!!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Goobs log

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Goob wrote:So, I checked and none of the numbers I said from the comp were right :oops: One guy benched in the mid 400 lbs and best deadlift was around 500 lbs, also everybody won. Well, except for 198 lbs class, it was highly contested so one guy got second. Also, found out the comps are to raise money for the american cancer society, so I'm not going to do any of them.

Overhead Press
1x5@ bar
1z5@ 70 lbs
1x5@ 80 lbs
1x5@ 95 lbs
5x10@ 55 lbs

Pull ups
4x4
1x3 :(

Assisted Pull up Machine
3x10@ 50 lbs assistance

Edit: Am thinking about giving up on this fat loss nonsense. I still have a bit of a gut going on, but somebody said "oh, so thats how you stay so thin" the other day in response to my veganism. I HATE when people say that. That comment is one of the main reasons I started lifting to begin with, because I don't want to hear it again. But, I'm 30 lbs heavier than when I started and people still say it.

i feel ya brother. One of the reasons i want to gain weight is I'm tired of comments like 'where do you hid all the muscle' (after i broke out of a hold and picked someone up) or the general disbelief when i tell people i'm a powerlifter
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Goob » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Not happy with being skinny, but I'm probably going to stick with the fat loss at least a little while longer. Strength level seems to be holding up which I wasn't expecting, so that is helping me to stick with the plan, but being so skinny is a terrible thing. I think in another week or two the buzz belt will have to go another notch tighter even :oops:

4/26/2012
when i walked into the gym I noticed my squat rack was gone :cry: :cry: :cry:
It's been replaced and the new one sucks hard. Everything is different so I have to change my setup entirely, which I could deal with, but the safety bars are about 2 inches higher and the barbell touches them just a bit before I feel I'm low enough. I tried cutting it short, and was still tapping the safety bars at the bottom. So, this rack is completely useless. I'll have to squat in the power cage from now on, which is only better than the new rack because I can set the safety bars lower, which is probably too low for me to really miss a weight without fucking something up.

Deadlift
also changed because they moved all the equipment around to make room for a pullover machine and and incline press machine, so the only place to deadlift now is inside the power cage. Also, there is like a half inch of padding on the outside of the rack that is not on the inside. That isn't so bad I guess since it's about the same thickness as the soles of my shoes, but I'm probably going to take them out next time and hope nobody sees it.

1x10@ 135 lbs
1x5@ 190 lbs
1x5@ 215 lbs
1x9@ 245 lbs - very surprised with this

Front Squat
2x?@ bar trying to figure out a way to use the new rack
2x5@ 95 lbs i power cage with no safety bars now
3x5@ 135 lbs

not a doctor, but think I might have died on that last set.

did some abs then home to eat
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:37 am

what shoes are you wearing for deadlifts?
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Goob » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:what shoes are you wearing for deadlifts?

Fake chucks. I even wear them for running.

I want to get these
Goob

Postby Goob » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:03 pm

4/27/2012
Bench
1xsome@ bar
1x5@ 105 lbs
1x5@ 120 lbs
1x8@ 135 lbs
5x10@ 65 lbs close grip

left elbow feeling shitty with dumbbell rows so didn't do them

Pull Down |)---------(| handle like this, leaning back slightly
1x15@ 80 lbs
1x10@ 100 lbs
2x8@ 120 lbs, a bit of cheating on these

Pull ups
3x3

did a few sets on an iso lateral front lat pull down machine up to 10 @ 45 lbs plate per side, because with a name like that it must be good :lol:
Goob

Postby baldy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Goob wrote:
Lordmuppet wrote:what shoes are you wearing for deadlifts?

Fake chucks. I even wear them for running.

I want to get these

No, the cool kids wear nike these days, but not for deadlift, slippers or nothing.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Shoes with a heel for deadlifts would be very suboptimal.

You want something like this:

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/clothing-and-shoes/shoes/deadlift-slippers/prod_126.html

Or just socks.

Even barefoot would be better.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Goob » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Weightlifters pull a lot of weight with higher heels than those, so I still want to try them. I've also seen some strongman competitors wearing weightlifting shoes for deadlift events. I think Derek Poundstone wore those exact shoes in a deadlift event at the Mohegan Sun one year actually. And, Rippetoe is recommending shoes with a heel for deadlifts now.

There are a lots more important things I have to buy/pay for before I can get those shoes so it will be while, and if I don't like them for deadlifts I'll just use them to squat and go barefoot for deads.

EDIT: also, nikes blow :P
Goob

Postby Goob » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:23 pm

I accidentally deleted everything I typed, and don't feel like doing it all over.

Squat up to 3x 210 lbs - really fucking heavy, was maybe a bit more weight, but no more reps in there.

Standing leg curls 3x10@ 50 lbs

some abs then home. Very tired from digging and shit all day.
Goob

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue May 01, 2012 7:39 am

Goob wrote:Weightlifters pull a lot of weight with higher heels than those, so I still want to try them. I've also seen some strongman competitors wearing weightlifting shoes for deadlift events. I think Derek Poundstone wore those exact shoes in a deadlift event at the Mohegan Sun one year actually. And, Rippetoe is recommending shoes with a heel for deadlifts now.

There are a lots more important things I have to buy/pay for before I can get those shoes so it will be while, and if I don't like them for deadlifts I'll just use them to squat and go barefoot for deads.

I'm with Tayln on this one. I was aware that Rippetoe recommended a heel for deadlifting but was not sure. Worth saying also that Rippetoe is in a small minority on this. Also if you switch from chuck taylor knock offs to ones with a heel that is going to mean a significant change in form. Essentially you'll have to learn a new DL form.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135300631&page=1
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Goob » Tue May 01, 2012 11:58 am

Lordmuppet wrote:
Goob wrote:Weightlifters pull a lot of weight with higher heels than those, so I still want to try them. I've also seen some strongman competitors wearing weightlifting shoes for deadlift events. I think Derek Poundstone wore those exact shoes in a deadlift event at the Mohegan Sun one year actually. And, Rippetoe is recommending shoes with a heel for deadlifts now.

I'm with Tayln on this one. I was aware that Rippetoe recommended a heel for deadlifting but was not sure. Worth saying also that Rippetoe is in a small minority on this. Also if you switch from chuck taylor knock offs to ones with a heel that is going to mean a significant change in form. Essentially you'll have to learn a new DL form.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135300631&page=1

I'm not sure the difference in form would be that significant really. Mostly it just seems that it would be easier to get into position with a bit of a heel actually. The only negatives I can find about deadlifting in weightlifting shoes is about the added distance, but there really isn't any added distance because it's the toe tapering down not the heel going up, so it's really the same height as I have now.

Will check that link later, don't have time just now.
Goob

Goobs log

Postby Talyn » Tue May 01, 2012 12:36 pm

It's less about your feet position and more about your hand position.

Higher heels will make you taller from top to bottom.

It's the equivalent of pulling from a half inch mat really. It won't hurt, but it will make the pull slightly more difficult because your ROM is greater.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Goob » Wed May 02, 2012 12:35 am

I'm not going to have any money any time soon, so it's a non- issue really.

Something went wrong with my left elbow today. Was very painful for a few hours, took some ibuprofen and seems just a bit sore now.

Missed reps on overhead which is lame, cause I've got 4 reps at 100 lbs a couple weeks ago, but today had trouble getting one. Am just incredibly weak, I failed getting off the chest twice then will powered one ugly up, which is when I tweaked my elbow, then push pressed 4 more reps.

Tried doing some pull ups after, but elbow would have none of it. Just went home at that point.

Sucks cause I've been feeling shitty about another job interview going nowhere and wanted to have a good session.
Goob

Postby Goob » Thu May 03, 2012 9:39 pm

5/3/2012

Much better session today.

Deadlift
1x10@ 135 lbs
1x5@ 185 lbs
1x3@ 205 lbs
1x3@ 230 lbs
1x7@ 260 lbs

something strange going on with deads. I doubt I've gotten stronger, but somehow doing more reps with heavier weights than I've used before. I'm thinking inconsistent technique due to heavier weights. Don't have a way of filming to be sure, but something like normal tech doesn't work with heavier weights so I'm changing without trying maybe.

Front Squats
1xsome@ bar
1x5@ 95 lbs
1x5@ 115 lbs
3x5@ 135 lbs

Back Extension
3x10

Nautilus Crunch Machine
3x15@ 100lbs

Was expecting elbow to not like front squats, but was fine. Think I just didn't warm up enough the other day. Might start doing some band pushdowns or something like that in warmups on pressing days, will look up elbow warmups
Goob

Postby Goob » Fri May 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Exhausted today. Also, I'm a fucking idiot. Stopped at the gas station on the way to the gym and payed the guy $20, then forgot what I was doing and drove off without pumping any gas. Didn't even realize till after I left the gym and the low fuel light was still on. Would be funny if I wasn't so broke or they let me get the fuel when I came back, but as it is I'm fucking pissed off.

5/4/2012
Bench Press
1x10@ bar
1x10@ 75 lbs
1x3@ 110 lbs
1x3@ 130 lbs
1x3@ 145 lbs
5x10@ 70 lbs

Did some elbow warmups and such before bench, but didn't seem to help any. Left elbow a bit painful on 145 lbs and just got worse through the 5x10. Started on dumbbell rows but was not good, so tried some machine rows, which wasn't so bad.

If I make enough money this weekend I'll look into get an elbow sleeve or something, and hopefully that will help with pain. I'm so weak at pressing I really don't want to take time off.
Goob

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs