Vegan athletes

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby bartezzzzz » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:47 pm

[quote="runner"]what i find strange is that Tim VanOrden did not put any times on his site... this way it's imposible to tell if he is fast.

Exactly. I am very curious as well how fast he can run.
bartezzzzz

Postby Technotiger » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:00 pm

Mac Danzig is missing from the world class skill athlete list. He was discussed about in Martial arts -forum.
Technotiger

Postby sarah1 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:36 pm

I thought Danzig would of been on here, first vegan athlete I knew about.

Good luck for his fight tommorow (24th)!
sarah1

Postby bartezzzzz » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:52 pm

[quote="runner"]what i find strange is that Tim VanOrden did not put any times on his site... this way it's imposible to tell if he is fast.

2/10/07 - 4th of 300, 1st age 35-39 (by 20 minutes) - Catalina Island Half Marathon - CA

Time: 1:25:56
bartezzzzz

Postby hannibal » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:39 am

hannibal

Postby Konstantin » Wed May 02, 2007 9:04 am

I believed that Sally Eastall, who was top UK woman marathon runner during the 1990s was vegan, and I heard that Leroy Burrell, sprinter around the time of Carl Lewis was too.

There were rumours surrounding 'Mr T', the actor who played B A Baracus in The A Team and also starred in one of the Rocky films was Vegan too.

I am sure Ed Moses the hurdler was vegetarian. He was unbeaten for someting incredible like 102 races, 10 years of competing at the top level. There was a bodybuilder on TV in the late 1980s called Linford McFarquahar who was pretty impressive and keen on talking about his vegetarianism.

I can't provide any sources for these, can anyone help. In about 1993 the Vegan Society (UK) produced a film 'Truth or Dairy' which had a good section on high profile vegan sports stars. I think I can get hold of a copy if you need me to.

I saw online this:http://al.godsdirectcontact.org.tw/vg-vip/query/index.php?nation=All&category=sport

which is veggie and vegan. I'm unsure of the reliability, as Donny Lalonde is included. I remember reading in a boxing mag that he was veggy fior a short time but gave it up because hje wasn't feeling as aggressive.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby veggie_guy80 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:09 pm

[quote="Papaya"]I believed that Sally Eastall, who was top UK woman marathon runner during the 1990s was vegan, and I heard that Leroy Burrell, sprinter around the time of Carl Lewis was too.

I can't provide any sources for these, can anyone help. In about 1993 the Vegan Society (UK) produced a film 'Truth or Dairy' which had a good section on high profile vegan sports stars. I think I can get hold of a copy if you need me to.

I found that 'Truth or Dairy' video on YouTube about 6 months ago, but it seems to have vanished. It showed Sally Eastall jogging with Benjamin Zephaniah as he interviewed her and various clips of vegan athletes at the end. I can only remember Pat Reeves, but there was also a footballer included. I didn't realise it was that old.

I'd like to see it again actually!
veggie_guy80

Postby Konstantin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:18 pm

I remember that clip - that was Sally Eastall was it? Yes, good source, :lol: but now a good 14 years or so old. :cry:
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby hardcore iv » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:26 am

:cry: Martina Navratilova is not a vegetarian anymore. I was flicking through her book "shape your self" at the bookshop, looking for a mention of her vegetarianism, and it stated that she started eating animals again when she returned to competitive tennis, because she couldn't be bothered contacting a half-decent nutritionist to help her out.

That last bit I may have made up :)
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby veganvolleyballer » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:37 pm

Just a question, after skimming through this thread: What are we defining as a professional athlete, versus semi-pro, amateur, etc?
veganvolleyballer

Postby runner » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:42 am

In my opinion someone that has a pro status (main source off income), or do your activity at the highest level. For football professional leagues,...

in some sports it's harder to make a living this way I would set other standards.. like highest level (for example Fiona Oaks run in the elite field at the Amsterdam marathon)

but who am I..
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby daisy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:00 pm

hi,

this guy here, which has been to our party yesterday

is the former austrian national box champion in the classe below heavyweights (half heavy weight).
when he got the title twice he used to eat meat, now he is vegan for about one year and is also one of our most motivated activists,..
his name is nikolaus kubista.

greetings daisy
Last edited by daisy on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.vegan.at - http://www.veganisnormal.com - http://www.veganmania.at
daisy

Postby runner » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:13 pm

tim van Orden

is not a world class runner he runns just a little bit faster than my pb's

I'm not even at the top off my local club
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby the crazyest vegan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:33 pm

a profesional athlete is someone who is paid for competeing and training for his or her chosen sport, this doesnt mean that their the best it's just that they have a sponser.
the crazyest vegan

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:12 am

What about Fruitbat ?
Doesn't holding four British records count ? :)

http://www.ynecawla.org.uk/b23wuepl.htm
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion