Vegan athletes

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Vegan athletes

Postby Konstantin » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:42 pm

Meagan Duhamel just got 5th in the world figure skating competitions (pairs). She's already Canadian National champion.

We've actually got a bit of news congestions on the GVA site as vegans keep doing impressive things but I think this needs to go on.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby baldy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:30 pm

[quote="Konstantin"]
We've actually got a bit of news congestions on the GVA site as vegans keep doing impressive things but I think this needs to go on.

If anyone wants to write or proof read articles please shout we could do with some help.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:39 pm

yeh.. i'll help.. as long as u don't minde bad grammur and shit speling ;)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby lover of cuttlefish » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:07 am

I can proof read articles if you're still looking for help
lover of cuttlefish

Postby runrevolt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:18 am

Sorry to return only for bummer news...but Jeffery Eggleston is no longer vegan.

Per the bio on his site -

"The year 2010 also marked Jeffrey’s experimentation with a vegan diet, as a renewed commitment to his personal health and with increased mindfulness for the environment. Although he is no longer strictly vegan, he appreciates how a balanced phytonutrient-rich diet compliments the professional endurance athlete lifestyle; both encourage a healthy, sustainable and well-balanced means of living."
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby Konstantin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:10 am

Bombshell!

Awww shit.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby ultra_whippet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:49 pm

[quote="runrevolt"]Sorry to return only for bummer news...but Jeffery Eggleston is no longer vegan.

Ah crap :(

Just found this article about Peter Ebdon:
http://www.meatfreemondays.com/news/sno ... eating.cfm
If you're counting snooker as a sport that is :)
ultra_whippet

Postby Konstantin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:21 am

We have a skill section and include racing drivers, so why not? The committe is currently voting. Thanks for the info Ultra.
Konstantin

Postby wannalift » Sun May 06, 2012 4:04 pm

[quote="runrevolt"]Sorry to return only for bummer news...but Jeffery Eggleston is no longer vegan.

Per the bio on his site -

"The year 2010 also marked Jeffrey’s experimentation with a vegan diet, as a renewed commitment to his personal health and with increased mindfulness for the environment. Although he is no longer strictly vegan, he appreciates how a balanced phytonutrient-rich diet compliments the professional endurance athlete lifestyle; both encourage a healthy, sustainable and well-balanced means of living."

The ex-vegan is now also the ex-champion of the Pittsburgh marathon: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-city/weather-nearly-perfect-for-race-day-634651/. The ex-vegan and ex-champion finished in 2nd by 17 seconds.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby kallefs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby vCLaW » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:07 am

Murray Rose, an Australian swimmer. He won 6 medals in the 1956 and 1960 Olympics. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... mpics-2012
vCLaW

Postby Konstantin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks for the head up fellas!

I think Murray Rose was misrepresented as a vegan:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

[quote]
It is a fact, however, that Murray has been a vegetarian almost from birth. In 1940, just after the Rose family moved from England to Australia, Murray's mother was put on a special six-weeks diet while recuperating from a lingering illness. Murray's father, an advertising executive, tried it too, and both liked it so much that they have eaten only organically grown, nonsprayed fruits and vegetables ever since, an addiction which led Mr. Rose to resign his membership in The Wine & Food Society of England.

Murray, of course, was drawn into the diet too, and because he has been an athletic celebrity since boyhood, his menu has made him at once a thorn in the side of a large slice of the food industry and the subject of hundreds of articles, especially before the 1956 Melbourne Olympics when the press practically turned his races into a showdown between the meat-eaters and the vegetarians. The dietary virtues and delectability of sunflower seeds from Russia, halvah from Egypt, sesame from Greece, millet from North China, unpolished rice from south China, goat's milk and a special seaweed jelly created by Mrs. Rose were all debated in column after column that left steak-eating Australian readers muttering in their napkins. But after sampling some of the Rose diet at Mrs. Rose's invitation, many of the writers admitted, reluctantly but graciously, that it didn't taste bad at all.

The guiding principle for everything Rose eats is that it be as close to its natural state as possible—preferably completely raw. Thus he avoids anything that has been sprayed with chemicals, as well as products made with processed flour or sugar. He often substitutes a dish of yoghurt and raw honey for milk, and drinks concentrated juices, such as apple, tomato, grape, pineapple and carrot. "But," he says, "I don't see how anyone can take celery or beet juice." Millet is his cereal because it contains the least acid, and Mrs. Rose makes sure he does not miss sweets by preparing for him cakes, candies and cookies made with honey, raw brown sugar and whole grains. Rose drinks coffee at examination time, but he never has drunk tea.

Montell Owens is a possible, we're looking into more references that he is fully vegan - any others aside from the above would be great.
Konstantin

Postby Frostfire » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Please add Kelly Colobella to the list! Here facebook athlete page is here: https://www.facebook.com/KellyColobella ... ganAthlete

I recently started teaching her proper powerlifting :D , but she's an American Football player (full contact, hooray!) and hobby runner (she does two or three 5K's on Saturdays "for fun")
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby aspara-gus » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:06 am

Serena wins Wimbledon, Olympics, and the US Open. She is playing the best tennis of her career at the age of 31, just 6 months after turning vegan. Unfortunately, I have never heard her mention it in any of her interviews. Gluten free diets got huge coverage last year when Djokovic dominated men's tennis so this could have been an opportunity.
aspara-gus

Postby Konstantin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks Frostfire and Aspara-gus. We're processing a vote of Kelly Colobella and have been in touch with her. We're a bit wary of Serena Williams because we're not convinced that she is actually vegan, media approximations tend to be misleading. We are reviewing that constantly though.
Konstantin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion