Vegan athletes

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby ha » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:10 am

i train with world class cyclists..some big names..not one of them is clean.

its more a question of drugs than anything at the top.

the public is ignorant to the virtues of a vegan diet. the public is ignorant to the amount of drugs needed to race at the top..
raw vegan banana case that has cycled over 190 000km cycled as a vegan.

y - youtube.com/durianriders
f - facebook.com/durianrider
t - twitter.com/durianryder
b - durianrider.org
w - 30bananasaday.com

Drink up, carb up, sleep up... cos everyday is the day to live it up!
ha

Postby james79 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:58 am

[quote="runner"]tim van Orden

is not a world class runner he runns just a little bit faster than my pb's

I'm not even at the top off my local club

I checked out his website.

http://www.runningraw.com/

The guy is living in a fantasy land. It says he wants to run a sub 4min mile and get in the olympic team when in reality he is running 16.30-17min odd 5k. I'm faster than him and I'm an average club runner. I guess the non-running public don't understand this when they read about him winning a fun run.

I looked at some of his videos. He is a very cheesy guy
"I wanna see America be the greatest country on earth again..cos I don't think it is anymore" :oops:

Fair play to him though. He has made this his job.
Don't let your outrage for injustice end where your selfishness begins
james79

Postby RobertCheeke » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:42 pm

Yeah, I can understand. Sometimes we hype things up around here in the US. But Tim is a very cool guy. I've hung out with him in L.A. and he's a super nice guy. I think "cheesy" is just part of the American Way :)

I'm the same way, a bit cheesy at times.

Cool to see the list of athletes in this thread :)
Robert Cheeke
"When your actions speak for themselves, don't interrupt."
www.myspace.com/veganbodybuilding
RobertCheeke

Postby J » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:51 pm

In case anyone was curious I just don't see anything worth updating here. But anyone else can feel free to copy and paste it below and I'll update it or whoever else can just takeover.
J

Postby Eda » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:33 am

Is pro skateboarder Rowley still a vegan? No, and he never was. He always considered himself a strict vegetarian and even joined his friends on mountain lion hunting trips:
[quote]My life is a complete contradiction. I eat an entire vegetarian diet. I do pretty good, right? I always have energy. I'm always moving. I went to the doctor six months ago and got the physical and I wasn't deficient for any vitamins or minerals. I'm getting everything I need from my diet. The day I don't feel good, the day I want to eat a hamburger, I will. I don't even care. That's never really bothered me. It's just my diet. It doesn't even matter. It's not even a subject worth a shit.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0JSE/is_292/ai_n12416784/pg_3

Whether he is still on a vegan diet, the web forum of him are very conflicting. Some state that he is still vegan. Other claims that he is now a hunter, because "hunters do more for the environment than any environmentalist. Regardless, all info I found was from un-named second hand sources, and I don't think we'll know for sure until we get a reliable citation from Rowley himself.
Eda

Postby J » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:45 pm

[quote="Eda"]Is pro skateboarder Rowley still a vegan? No, and he never was. He always considered himself a strict vegetarian and even joined his friends on mountain lion hunting trips:
[quote]My life is a complete contradiction. I eat an entire vegetarian diet. I do pretty good, right? I always have energy. I'm always moving. I went to the doctor six months ago and got the physical and I wasn't deficient for any vitamins or minerals. I'm getting everything I need from my diet. The day I don't feel good, the day I want to eat a hamburger, I will. I don't even care. That's never really bothered me. It's just my diet. It doesn't even matter. It's not even a subject worth a shit.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0JSE/is_292/ai_n12416784/pg_3

Whether he is still on a vegan diet, the web forum of him are very conflicting. Some state that he is still vegan. Other claims that he is now a hunter, because "hunters do more for the environment than any environmentalist. Regardless, all info I found was from un-named second hand sources, and I don't think we'll know for sure until we get a reliable citation from Rowley himself.

I think I still have him listed right. I guess. That it matters.
http://soundclick.com/kunderesque
J

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu May 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Paula Tesoriero is a Kiwi paralympic cyclist who has quite a few podiums on the track including golds at the world champs. and she's a vegan. I doubt there is any internet proof out there though.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby SpugFab » Thu May 01, 2008 10:23 pm

[quote="Mr. Cleetus"]Paula Tesoriero is a Kiwi paralympic cyclist who has quite a few podiums on the track including golds at the world champs. and she's a vegan. I doubt there is any internet proof out there though.

Is she still competing?

I ask because the Paralympic World Cup is coming up at Manchester Velodrome, could be a chance to head along and lend some support.
SpugFab

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu May 01, 2008 10:35 pm

[quote="spug_myers"][quote="Mr. Cleetus"]Paula Tesoriero is a Kiwi paralympic cyclist who has quite a few podiums on the track including golds at the world champs. and she's a vegan. I doubt there is any internet proof out there though.

Is she still competing?

I ask because the Paralympic World Cup is coming up at Manchester Velodrome, could be a chance to head along and lend some support.

She is definitely still competing - she set a world record in Sydney earlier this year. I'm not sure if she is going to Manchester but I will find out and post.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue May 06, 2008 10:14 pm

looks like she is not going to Manchester, but she is going to Beijing!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sat May 10, 2008 11:25 pm

The link to Jonny Gibbings page no longer works. :|
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby J » Thu May 15, 2008 7:36 pm

[quote="Fallen_Horse"]The link to Jonny Gibbings page no longer works. :|

OK. Here's another link for him then:
http://www.spotthevegan.co.uk/
J

Postby seventysixjen » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:07 am

[quote="veganvolleyballer"]Just a question, after skimming through this thread: What are we defining as a professional athlete, versus semi-pro, amateur, etc?

In cycling in the US, your license has to say "Pro". I race on the pro circuit, and have sponsors but my license says "2," so I don't consider myself a pro.
"Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades."
"Risk big - win big."
seventysixjen

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:20 am

[quote="seventysixjen"][quote="veganvolleyballer"]Just a question, after skimming through this thread: What are we defining as a professional athlete, versus semi-pro, amateur, etc?

In cycling in the US, your license has to say "Pro". I race on the pro circuit, and have sponsors but my license says "2," so I don't consider myself a pro.

I dunno, i'd define a 'professional' as someone who does the sport as their profession -- ie, they make a living doing it....

Semi-pro would make part of their living doing it.

Elite might be the next step down...someone who's very competitive, but doesn't compete for their income.
Dave Noisy

Getting this list on wikipedia

Postby organicathlete » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi everyone,
I could use your help getting a list of vegan athletes (with references) on wikipedia. Right now, the entries are subpages on my account. Once we have a good entry, I will move the pages to an official entry. Feel free to go here to edit the entries or use the discussion page to lend your ideas and add your $0.02. Remember the wikipedia guidelines when editing.

Wikipedia's has the highest rating in google's pagerank system, so getting our information presented in wikipedia will help our cause.

If you need help, feel free to send me a personal message.

Thanks for your help!
-Bradley
President, OrganicAthlete
PO Box 33
Graton, CA 95444
bradley@organicathlete.org
organicathlete

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion