VF is over 10 years old! Where is everyone these days?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

VF is over 10 years old! Where is everyone these days?

Postby loveliberate » Wed May 27, 2015 12:40 am

All,
I just noticed that I'm approaching my 10th anniversary on VF - woohoo! :-D

This made me realize that the forums are already over 10 years old, as of 2014 - this is also very cool. Sadly, it seems like almost all of our wonderful forum friends have dropped off and very few of us still actively participate all that often...

So how about a "virtual reunion"?

Even if just a quick note, please post a reply to let us know that you're still out there and tell us something about what you are up to these days! :-)

I'll start: I'm still holding down the fort over here at Vegan HQ aka "Portland, Oregon". Of course, I'm still Vegan for Life! I've never been an athlete and my main fitness activity remains walking - ideally in nature. Travel is a major passion for me and I'd love to meet up with you folks whenever I find myself in your area - so please say hello if you'd like to hang out! Happily, I've met several VFers over the years. I'd love to see each and every one of you again as well as meet new folks. Hopefully it goes without saying but please be sure to let me know if you'll be passing through my area! :-D
Last edited by loveliberate on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Re: VF is over 10 years old! Where is everyone these days?

Postby soniczip » Wed May 27, 2015 1:14 pm

I'm still alive, and vegan of course. Not much on the forum, sadly. Would like to meet my VF friends again. So yes, if you or anybody else intend to visit Italy, you are welcome. My next trips, in August, will be Denmark, Belgium and Holland. Anybody there?
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby muchluv » Sun May 31, 2015 7:34 pm

I've sadly gained a tonne of weight and am struggling to lose it partly due to my quite stressful/sedentary job! I was a svelte 11 and a half stone (or so) back in my regular VF days and sadly now am packing a hefty 15.5 stone!

I was never massively into fitness in the way some of the people of this forum were - we had lots of serious athletes, competitors etc, I was more of a casual gym goer, but I miss those days of working out and having something to work towards, and would really like to get back into that again. Hard though!
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby silver » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:48 pm

I hadn't noticed that I've been on site for 10 years...
Spent a fair bit of that sat at a desk learning photo editing, but am very much back in harness and approaching the fittest I've ever been.
Definitely outnumbered by the lifters, but that's cool, I need to get some of that into my life as well!

I'd like to see people move back to forums, just for the database and searchable history that it creates.
I guess forums are becoming anomalous and seen as being far too niche, with strava/garmin/etc filling the fitness log side and facebook taking over the social aspects, these forums have a much more limited role now. I wish I could see a way of making the site a bridge across those worlds. (I may have slipped into stream of consciousness waffle at this point. shit happens.)
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby loveliberate » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:48 pm

Well, that is four of us so far. ;)

Several other folks are still posting and I'm sure more of you are reading this - so stop in and say hello! Also, if you are in touch with forum members who don't visit here anymore, please encourage them to get active again: even if just to post a note in this thread to let us know that they are still alive! :)
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby baldy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:19 am

Still alive and posting a training log. To uplift the vibe of this thread, I actually get to interact with loads of the people from this forum using social media and even better in real life!
So feels like the network around the forum is still strong, just a lot less centralised, now I am waffling.
We has since moved down to sunny Devon, as always open invitation for anyone that wants to visit and sleep on our couch.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby blinki » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:45 pm

I've not been here anywhere near 10 years but still here. The thought of leaving my log would be sad, I've kept it since I started lifting properly And I think I'll always like forums better than social media anyway.

I live in Manchester now, still lift, still some hope of being competitive in bench only one day. I gave up on much in the way of lower body gainz so started tae kwon do again.
blinki

Postby loveliberate » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:54 pm

blinki,
I also prefer forums in general and I'd love to hear from any VFer, regardless of how long they've been active on the forum! :)

baldy,
Lucky you! And lucky me: Today I randomly encountered a long time forum member from another Cascadian city who just happened to be in town. Can anyone guess who it was? ;)
With any luck, I'll also bump into other VFers at one or both of the upcoming British Columbia, Canada VegFests! :)
loveliberate

Postby Tourterelle » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:12 pm

Well . . . I've been gone for a very long time, but decided dust off my old training log and to get back posting again. I haven't posted regularly since the beginning of 2009! This past while I've been badly slacking off with my fitness stuff, although I did get back to Karate (Nick Cerio's Kenpo) a couple of years ago, and got my brown belt about a year ago. I'm semi-retired now, but doing and studying music pretty much full-time, including playing keyboards as a street musician during summer. (Oh yes, I've been vegan for over 11 years now, and vegetarian before that.)

More information on my fitness (or rather "non-fitness") is posted in Tourterelle's Training Log. This story is to be continued, as I get off my butt now and start training more seriously to meet my Karate and fitness goals. . .

Glad to be back! :mrgreen:
"Life is a series of ups and downs, starts and stops, mountains and valleys. No matter how many times you quit, you can always start again." (Bill Pearl)
Tourterelle

Postby Konstantin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:59 am

Out of curiosity I just logged in for the first time in ages. Still alive, still vegan, I was running mostly when I was posting post but now 10kgs heavier and weight training. Did a bench comp in December and won my 2 person category, Pb is 127.5 at 82.5bw. Jointly running www.greatveganathletes.com and the associated FB page, working too much, training too little and working on my moaning techniques.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby loveliberate » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Good to hear from you Tourterelle and Konstantin! Who else is out there reading this? :)
loveliberate

Postby daf » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:52 pm

hah. Also still alive, still vegan. Went through a decent 2 year stint of getting very fit on the hills, now back to a driving commute and getting fat on bourbons.
---
I need a remedy of diesel and dust, something I can taste with a fix I can trust.
daf

Postby Linnéa76 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:17 am

Hi everybody, I'm still vegan of course, celebrating 15 years this summer. Fitness levels are pretty good too, although I'm travelling all of this year and rarely get inside a gym. Trekking and yoga keeps me in shape, but strength and lifting technique will of course be suffering. Power lifting is not my main thing anymore anyway, since I discovered acro yoga - love of my life among physical activities! It's quite good strength training and my bench max was actually the same in January at VS Melbourne as the last time I maxed out, which must have been at VFW in Tuscany (squat was pretty pathetic though..) Not being much of a weight lifter myself hasn't stopped me from starting a Swedish Vegan Strength group, simply because I thought there should be one. It's turning out well I think, with people joining whom I'd never heard of before that are competing in strength sports or striving to compete. I'm going to the big acro yoga festival in Portland in October, so hope to meet you there loveliberate! :)
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:14 pm

having been too busy working on VF to enjoy it honestly. Going to fix the sponsor image and then i'm out y'awl :)

But yeah i still lift. Have less crackpipe goals and just try to make any progress. Oh and i moved back to the UK

oh and yeah helping Konstantin with GVA which has now overtaken VF in traffic
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby loveliberate » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Thanks for the updates y'all! :)

I'd definitely love to meet up with you, Linnéa! Will you have some free time for exploring Portland and Cascadia? I hope so! :)
loveliberate

Next

Return to General Discussion